Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2019 7:12:39 PM EDT
How many of us use them?
4 or 6 oz. weights?
Whats the line length?
How many do you carry?

Looking at a side gig fabbing them up for a local baitshop.
Snares( cable restraints)  are my forte..
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Texas rigging is THE ONLY way to rig anymore.
I was reluctant to try it but once you do you will NEVER go back
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 7:48:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPK] [#2]
Originally Posted By Chukar:
How many of us use them?
4 or 6 oz. weights?
Whats the line length?
How many do you carry?

Looking at a side gig fabbing them up for a local baitshop.
Snares( cable restraints)  are my forte..
View Quote
Line length is determined by water depth hunted. A little longer line can help with decoy movement.

Weight is determined by wind and/or current typically encountered.

FWIW, in impoundments I find 36” - 42” and 3 - 4oz egg sinkers gtg,

Also, sand the line with any old sandpaper you have to knock the shine off the mono.

250lb mono is good, 300 is better.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#3]
What about 2 oz. with a 36" line.
These would be used on a  gang set with a 550 paracord main line.
Any issues with weights being visible on clear water?
These would be for diver rigs on Lake Michigan
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#4]
4 oz, 40" or there abouts.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I've run various brands and home made texas rigs for 10 years.  Now I only run Lifetime Decoys rigs.  Coated steel cable.  Crimps are inspected before packaging.  
4 oz 48" for pothole & shallow lake hunting here in SD and my occasional jaunt to MN or ND.  I think I currently have 3 dozen mallards and a dozen pintails rigged.  I don't hunt divers.
For my canada floaters I still use traditional rigs, 8' 400lb mono, double crimps, 8 oz weights, and depth adjusters.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 9:28:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlockLuvinRedleg] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chukar:
What about 2 oz. with a 36" line.
These would be used on a  gang set with a 550 paracord main line.
Any issues with weights being visible on clear water?
These would be for diver rigs on Lake Michigan
View Quote
Your making me twitch like a Michael j fox covered with ants.
How deep of water are you going for?

36inch drops are ok, but keep in mind decoy spacing on the mainline will be dictated by drop length, the shorter the line the closer the decoys, more decoys per line.
550 sucks for main/mother line
The, it tends to try to float, and with the inner line left in the knots have a tendency to try to work themselves out with wave action.
Better option is the next larger cord, which is a diamond braided nylon, they use it to rig cargo chutes.
Barring that any decent braided nylon rope larger than a quarter inch will work great,
Nylon even though it’s expensive is ideal because it sinks like a rock, it’s fairly abrasion and I’ve resistant, won’t mold/rot, the knots hold well, and with the diamond or triple braid you can work ice out pretty quick.

Figure moderate wind/wave action and an average of 14-17 decoys per line and you are looking at a minimum of a 5 lb anchor on each end of the mainline, heavier is better..

We almost exclusively run mainlines,
Anywhere from 100 to 500+ decoys.

I could tell you what works for us, but if your making them to sell you won’t find many people interested in buying the way we do it, because it requires consistent pulling and storing and paying attention to what your doing, which most folks are apparently to lazy to do

ETA,
We love guys who try to run Texas rigs or 4/6 oz egg sinkers where we hunt,
Free decoys for us,  cause they ain’t cutting it in big water
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 10:42:32 PM EDT
[#7]
we used Texas Rigs for years, but now have Duk Nutz on all dekes.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I know this is an old post, but for anybody looking at Texas Rigs...go check out Hebert's Custom Decoy Rigs LLC on Facebook.

He makes the absolute best and has a lot of weight options for current and walk in hunters.  I am not a 100% fan of texas rigs as water depth varies where I hunt, but I run his for field hunts and they are superb.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top