Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2021 10:28:37 AM EDT
What is a good 4-6 person tent?
Also looking for info on what brand of rechargeable lantern to get.  Was thinking solar and or usb.
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless you’re using the lantern regularly, you might want to consider non-rechargeable.  Rechargeable batteries are often not good with long storage between uses and are cheaper quality batteries. We realized that was a problem for some camping and emergency gear so we have moved those kinds of items are now back to replaceable batteries. For instance, we use the small led lanterns powered by 3 AA batteries. The lanterns and the batteries are relatively cheap. Still looking for one that allows a low and high power as they are brighter than we need in tents and some other settings. Have a four pack of them always ready to go with fresh lithium batteries next to them in the box.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:44:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the Blazin LED charger/lantern up to 600 lumens and 500 hour run time - I have 2 of em.

-P
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:18:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless you’re using the lantern regularly, you might want to consider non-rechargeable.  Rechargeable batteries are often not good with long storage between uses and are cheaper quality batteries. We realized that was a problem for some camping and emergency gear so we have moved those kinds of items are now back to replaceable batteries. For instance, we use the small led lanterns powered by 3 AA batteries. The lanterns and the batteries are relatively cheap. Still looking for one that allows a low and high power as they are brighter than we need in tents and some other settings. Have a four pack of them always ready to go with fresh lithium batteries next to them in the box.
View Quote

I cannot emphasize the value of "replaceable" batteries enough.   My wife was big into giving me the rechargeable emergency lights with non-replaceable batteries for gifts for Christmas.   They wouldn't last until the next Christmas before the batteries were shot and I was splitting them open to replace the non-replaceable batteries or I was throwing them away.  

Now I use Eneloop AA's in all of my emergency lights.   I have multiple ways to charge them, and I can (and sometimes do) swap in alkaline disposable batteries that I keep for rainy days or specific circumstances.   I can keep my house or camp site lit up for weeks without resupply or starting a generator.  

2Hut8
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have used my Eureka 6 man outfitter tent for about 20 years.  It's bullet proof.

Lanterns are whatever I pick up.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:34:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one of these:

https://www.rei.com/product/168329/nite-ize-radiant-rechargeable-micro-lantern-disc-o-select

Nite-Ize

I think it's great.
It's tiny and weighs like 1 oz!
Has multiple functions: red, green, blue, white light.
It's rechargeable via usb from my free solar charger that I got from the NRA.

It has a hanger and it swivels in it's hanger yoke.

It puts out plenty of light for use in a tent using any of its colors.

$20 at REI.
I'm thinking about buying a second one to live in my day pack.

Nite-Ize also makes one for $10 that uses CR2032s.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I use this when I'm motorcycle camping.  It takes up no space and runs on AAs.
Nitecore
When I'm out hot-tenting with the truck I use an old dual mantle Coleman lantern.  I know they are fragile and clunky but I like the nostalgia.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Good info
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I just use a basic LED lantern and bring spare batteries.  I also recommend an LED headlamp with some spare batteries.  Being hands free is worth it.

I find the 4 person tent from Academy is perfect for 1-2 adults.  I find they typically last me 5-8 years before the poles break or the elastic string wears out. Not too bad for under $40.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Last year I got a Milwaukee M12 lantern and I really like it. Works great for camping. I get 6ah batteries off eBay (aftermarket but much cheaper than OE Milwaukee). A couple of the 6ah batteries charged up before a trip would handle nearly any normal length camping trip. There is also a USB port on the light to charge a cell phone.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-400-Lumen-LED-Lantern-Trouble-Light-w-USB-Charging-Tool-Only-2362-20/205410811

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm considering one of these for family camping. Its biggest benefit to me is fast setup and take down. I HATE lengthy camp setup and take down.

https://www.oztent.com/Products/tent-range/oztent-range/oxley-7-lite-shop
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I have this coleman and can't say enough good things about it. It's only listed as a 3 person, but I believe they have bigger one's. I've camped in some pretty heavy rain and always stayed dry.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Hooligan-3-Person-Backpacking-Tent/dp/B001TSABLA/ref=asc_df_B001TSABLA/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584207586012559&psc=1

How important is an electric lantern to you?

https://www.amazon.com/UCO-Candlelier-Deluxe-Candle-Lantern/dp/B000F7DIHA/ref=asc_df_B000F7DIHA/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584138857510628&psc=1

I can't speak to this yet, but I recently found these candle lanterns and I think they are cool as hell.
(Note, don't buy from amazon, but these were just the first links I found for each.)
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Specifically regarding camp/tent lighting:

Streamlight Siege and UST lanterns have low settings.

The D-cell lanterns have low, medium and high settings, with the low settings able to run 24/7 for a month or two (UST has both a 30-day lantern and 60-day lantern). They also have AA lanterns, but I don't have any of those.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

With questions about tents that large, and lanterns, I'm assuming this will be for car camping as opposed to backpacking, where weight is a big consideration, but an alternative is either the multi-AA or 18650 LiIon powered headlamps.

I'm a big fan of headlamps for general use. Having both hands free is a huge advantage when camping, changing a tire, messing around in attics, crawlspaces, engine bays and under vehicles etc. I keep an 18650 Zebralight in the glove box of every vehicle (I've tried the LiIon batteries, and they work even when the vehicle has been sitting for hours at -12f. I just make sure to charge the batteries every quarter/season change, or after using them for a decent length).

Having said that, as long as the tent has light colored walls, you can light the interior by hanging a headlamp near the ceiling and bouncing the light off the ceiling/walls, if you prefer more of a flood illumination. Less stuff to carry (and with 1 headlamp per person, you have lighting redundancy).
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#14]
We have 2 of the Luci Pro Outdoor lights and they work really well.  This is our 2nd year using them.  As far as tents go, we use a Marmot 6P and a 2P.  These cover our needs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top