Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2020 2:00:34 PM EDT
Hey, everybody,

Looks like I'll finally get a chance to take my son up to fish the Tellico and/or Citico creeks for the day.  We're driving up and back from Huntsville.

I have never been on either one of these rivers and this will be his first time fishing with a fly.  Can you all recommend one or two spots that are relatively easy to get to, have a bit of space for him to cast without catching too many trees, and have a good chance of hooking into a fish or two?

Normally, I would have thoroughly scouted a river and wouldn't have a need to ask, but the Army just lifted our travel lockdown a couple weeks ago, and I'm struggling to cram as much into what remains of the summer as I can.

I appreciate the help!

Brian
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:09:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Know that you have to have a daily permit to fish both these rivers. There are days that they are closed too. Check out the regs on the TWRA web site to make sure.

That being said, both of these rivers are regularly stocked and the bait fishermen eat them up. You can fly fish, but fish the upper parts of either one, the Tellico or Citico. Both are fairly remote, once you get in there your cell phone is dead and there are no stores or gas stations, fuel up and top off everything in Tellico Plains.

The rain fall will dictate how to fish it. Lately the flows are fairly decent but it can get low quick and then again a thunderstorm will blow them out quickly too. If rain is in the forecast be very careful as the water can rise very fast. Make sure you are on the side where your car is or you can get stranded for awhile.

If you are fly fishing try the wild rivers, either Bald or North river. No daily permit and less fishermen as they are artificial lure only. They are open 365 days a year, no closed days.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#2]
One other thing about the Citico and Tellico rivers.

Depending on your vehicle, the road at Citico sucks. Bad.

The road on the Tellico is paved. Not like a highway, but not bad at all especially compared with Citico road.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#3]
From the TWRA regs:

"Tellico-Citico Permit required March 1 through Aug. 15.Closed on Thursday and Friday during the period March 1 through Aug. 15 (except when national or state holidays fall on Thursday and Friday). From Aug. 16 through the last day of February fishing is allowed every day and Tellico-Citico Permit is not required.Daily creel limit of 7 trout, with no size limit.Tellico River from Sourwood Campground upstream to the dam on Tellico River from one half-hour before official sunrise to 12 p.m. Closed to fishing for individuals 17 and older on Free Fishing Day (which is the first Saturday after the first Monday of the month of June).Fishing permitted from ½ hour before official sunrise to ½ hour after offi-cial sunset. The possession of fishing equipment and/or tackle is prohibited on stream banks except during legal fishing hours.Each angler permitted only one rod or pole"

The daily permit is $6.50 a day.

ETA:

LICENSE
FEE
Junior Hunt/Fish (Type 070) (Required for nonresidents age 13–15 fishing and small game only.)
$11
Three-Day Fishing (Type 077)—no trout
$20.50
Ten-Day Fishing (Type 079)—no trout
$30.50
Annual Fishing (Type 076)—no trout
$50
Three-Day All Fish (Type 078)—includes trout
$40.50
Ten-Day All Fish (Type 080)—includes trout
$61.50
Annual All Fish (Type 081)—includes trout
 $99

As you can see, non resident fishing in TN is expensive. The one day trip on the Tellico or Citico will cost each adult $47. Even us residents get screwed too. With the fees for buying the licenses it will be over $50 a head.

And I will tell you up front, those waters are checked closely by the rangers and TWRA down there. It is enforced stringently.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From the TWRA regs:

"Tellico-Citico Permit required March 1 through Aug. 15.Closed on Thursday and Friday during the period March 1 through Aug. 15 (except when national or state holidays fall on Thursday and Friday). From Aug. 16 through the last day of February fishing is allowed every day and Tellico-Citico Permit is not required.Daily creel limit of 7 trout, with no size limit.Tellico River from Sourwood Campground upstream to the dam on Tellico River from one half-hour before official sunrise to 12 p.m. Closed to fishing for individuals 17 and older on Free Fishing Day (which is the first Saturday after the first Monday of the month of June).Fishing permitted from ½ hour before official sunrise to ½ hour after offi-cial sunset. The possession of fishing equipment and/or tackle is prohibited on stream banks except during legal fishing hours.Each angler permitted only one rod or pole"

The daily permit is $6.50 a day.

ETA:

LICENSE
FEE
Junior Hunt/Fish (Type 070) (Required for nonresidents age 13–15 fishing and small game only.)
$11
Three-Day Fishing (Type 077)—no trout
$20.50
Ten-Day Fishing (Type 079)—no trout
$30.50
Annual Fishing (Type 076)—no trout
$50
Three-Day All Fish (Type 078)—includes trout
$40.50
Ten-Day All Fish (Type 080)—includes trout
$61.50
Annual All Fish (Type 081)—includes trout
 $99

As you can see, non resident fishing in TN is expensive. The one day trip on the Tellico or Citico will cost each adult $47. Even us residents get screwed too. With the fees for buying the licenses it will be over $50 a head.

And I will tell you up front, those waters are checked closely by the rangers and TWRA down there. It is enforced stringently.
View Quote

Thanks, Reb.

Was going to head up tomorrow and camp thru Saturday.  Guess we're going to be on the Bald & North rivers on Friday...

I have a 4x4 diesel pickup, so not worried about roads.  If you had to pick a campground in the Tellico valley, which would you pick?

Sorry for asking so many questions.  Usually, I like to DYI my fishing and camping spots, but like I said...since we've been on lockdown due to this Covid nonsense, I am absolutely starting from ground zero.

Link Posted: 7/8/2020 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to North river campground. If it is full just drive along up the road towards Stratton Meadows. There’s another dozen or more spots up through there.

With the temps, do not fish the North below the main campground, the water will be too warm and the fish most likely will die once you catch them.

Fish any fly with yellow on it this time of the year. Stimulators, Neversink caddis, etc.

If you fish the Tellico on Saturday, do not forget the daily permit. It is heavily patrolled.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Go to North river campground. If it is full just drive along up the road towards Stratton Meadows. There’s another dozen or more spots up through there.

With the temps, do not fish the North below the main campground, the water will be too warm and the fish most likely will die once you catch them.

Fish any fly with yellow on it this time of the year. Stimulators, Neversink caddis, etc.

If you fish the Tellico on Saturday, do not forget the daily permit. It is heavily patrolled.
View Quote

Thanks again, Reb.

And thanks for the heads up on the permit.  Will make sure we're both legal.

If you're out there and see a blue Ford F350 with Alabama plates and an Army sticker, stop and say hello.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks again, Reb.

And thanks for the heads up on the permit.  Will make sure we're both legal.

If you're out there and see a blue Ford F350 with Alabama plates and an Army sticker, stop and say hello.
View Quote

Most of my fly fishing of late has been a bit closer to home as I live in Knoxville. But back when the GSMNP was closed, I was down there a lot and have fished that area for close to 40 years. I primarily fish the wild rivers.

One thing about the Bald, the chiggers back there can be horrible. Several years ago I got some bites that stayed on my legs for months.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Fishing report.

Spent Thurs afternoon and Friday morning fishing the North.  I wanted to work with my son on his roll casts, side casts, mends, and presentation.  He caught a couple fingerlings, which we chucked back.

Today, we fished the Tellico.  Started right near the check station.  No luck.  Talked to a couple guys who said most folks limited out first thing in the morning (we started around 9:30) up near the hatchery.  I thought the fish were stocked at various locations around the river, and not just dumped out from the hatchery...

So, we mosied up there, tied on a couple beadhead princes, and tried our luck in some of the pools/drops right below the hatchery.  I caught a nice 12", which I put back.  My son caught a little 8" wild trout.

I really wanted my son to focus on his skills, and less the catching part.  His frustration grew, so we bagged in and headed home.

All in all, a very fun little trip.  We know the lay of the land now, and will be better positioned to fish next time.

Link Posted: 7/12/2020 7:26:38 AM EDT
[#9]
The skills will come. For right now, put him on fish. With kids the catching part is what is fun and keeps their interest going.

Smokies fishing is somewhat unique especially in the National Park with the South Cherokee NF right behind it. I cannot begin to tell you those that I run into that get very frustrated here even those with years of experience.

ETA: How old is your son?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top