Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2023 6:45:37 PM EDT
I am curious about your hunting experiences overseas, i am sure we will learn something too listening to some interesting stories

Pics are welcome!

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#2]

13 pointer I saw right before hunting season on my yard. Never saw him again.

3 years ago me and my 3 former hunting partners take.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74310/20211109_172503-2694253.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74310/20181111_115552-2694254.jpg
View Quote

Looks like one of these guys took one in the head

So there you can take male or females indistinctly?
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74310/20211109_172503-2694253.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74310/20181111_115552-2694254.jpg

No such thing as a male or female deer in Kentucky.
Antled or non antlered.

The face shot deer was mine, she dipped her head as I pulled the trigger when she was facing me head on.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Crazy hunting adventures? Yeah. I’ve had a few. .. I remember one time.

My rifle jammed and the deer was right under my tree stand, so I jumped down and landed on his back and drew my big knife . He took off with me on his back,  while I was trying to hang on stabbing him with a big knife.
He was bucking and kicking, but I used to ride rodeo so I hung on with one arm and kept stabbing him with the other as we ran thru the woods.
He lost his balance going down a steep ridge and fell, we both tumbled to the bottom..

When we got to the bottom.. he never got back up. He died right there.

I’ve got a picture somewhere of him dead,  and me holding the big knife.
But I don’t show the picture muchbecause it wasn’t bow hunting season and technically a knife may be view as archery or even primitive weapons hunt.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Antled or non antlered.

The face shot deer was mine, she dipped her head as I pulled the trigger when she was facing me head on.
View Quote

So the bullet destroyed the head and then it hit the deer in the vitals?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Crazy hunting adventures? Yeah. I’ve had a few. .. I remember one time.

My rifle jammed and the deer was right under my tree stand, so I jumped down and landed on his back and drew my big knife . He took off with me on his back,  while I was trying to hang on stabbing him with a big knife.
He was bucking and kicking, but I used to ride rodeo so I hung on with one arm and kept stabbing him with the other as we ran thru the woods.
He lost his balance going down a steep ridge and fell, we both tumbled to the bottom..

When we got to the bottom.. he never got back up. He died right there.

I’ve got a picture somewhere of him dead,  and me holding the big knife.
But I don’t show the picture muchbecause it wasn’t bow hunting season and technically a knife may be view as archery or even primitive weapons hunt.
View Quote

Until half of your story i thought you were joking.. still now I am not sure 100%
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Natural blind.
View All Quotes

Yep, I assumed that. I found it, and find weird things.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#11]
View All Quotes

The area I hunt there's a guy that likes to build them and leave them. I don't know if it's the same guy but we also found some abandoned bush crafting projects.
Aside from them not being built to the game rules is that we don't know if the guy is hunting them until we actually spot him somewhere. And he never wants to talk to us, so we can coordinate safety.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Dad and I almost died on our way back from moose hunting.

Boat almost sunk in a bad wind storm on a river.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Hunting elk in the mountains when I was 17. Dad and his friends brought me along as free labor.

Dad's friend, a gentleman I had known all my life, became altitude sick and decided to head back down to camp. Halfway there he felt dizzy so he leaned against a tree and closed his eyes. After a while he started feeling better so he looked up and there was a huge elk standing just a few feet away staring  at him. He fired his rifle from his lap, one shot kill. We are on the way back ourselves after not seeing a thing and when we walk up he's hyperventilating and well on his way to a heart attack, still seated against the tree.

We had to carry both him and the damn elk off the mountain. Dad joked it would have been easier just to quarter him out too, but he didn't want to make his wife mad.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#14]
When I was 13 I was sneak hunting home right before dark.  Following a ridge that had been timbered, crawling over treetops, looking down over the hillside on my right here and there hoping to see a buck.
All of a sudden I heard this crashing noise behind me over my left shoulder.  I swung around and saw the biggest buck ever, taking leaps toward the hillside.  He was about 20 yards behind me and only had a few yards to disappear (10?)
I swung around and got off a broadside Hail Mary as he disappeared from view.   I wanted to get another shot (hoped to find him dead)  and scrambled over a downed top on my right to get to the edge.  As I did that a blackbear cub came out from under the top and I tripped right over him on landing.
I looked to the left at the cub running and wanted to catch him, but scrambled to the right cuz buck...all I could see was dirt clods rolling downhill on top of the snow.  I tracked him downhill and across the bottom, he never slowed down and not one drop of blood... I swore to myself that I will hunt forever because no way could anything offer that much excitement is so short of a time.  Explosive ~ 5 or 10 seconds.

ETA I assumed that the buck had been hiding in tops and let me sneak past, then exploded once I had passed, likely when I paused for a second.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#15]
My ex BIL shot a pig at his feeder. He is not a great shot. The pig is spinning and jumping and making all kinds of noise.  He leaves it till evening hunt. When he walks up on the pig, it jumps up, stands on its hind legs and tries to attack him. He shot him 3 more times with 9mm and that bastard would not die. Left him to die again and came back a couple hours later. That pig was still alive and trying to crawl away.  I have never laughed that hard in my life.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Boat almost sunk in a bad wind storm on a river.
View Quote

Damn.. where?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:42:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hunting elk in the mountains when I was 17. Dad and his friends brought me along as free labor.

Dad's friend, a gentleman I had known all my life, became altitude sick and decided to head back down to camp. Halfway there he felt dizzy so he leaned against a tree and closed his eyes. After a while he started feeling better so he looked up and there was a huge elk standing just a few feet away staring  at him. He fired his rifle from his lap, one shot kill. We are on the way back ourselves after not seeing a thing and when we walk up he's hyperventilating and well on his way to a heart attack, still seated against the tree.

We had to carry both him and the damn elk off the mountain. Dad joked it would have been easier just to quarter him out too, but he didn't want to make his wife mad.
View Quote

Ahahah one question.. at what altitude were you?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When I was 13 I was sneak hunting home right before dark.  Following a ridge that had been timbered, crawling over treetops, looking down over the hillside on my right here and there hoping to see a buck.
All of a sudden I heard this crashing noise behind me over my left shoulder.  I swung around and saw the biggest buck ever, taking leaps toward the hillside.  He was about 20 yards behind me and only had a few yards to disappear (10?)
I swung around and got off a broadside Hail Mary as he disappeared from view.   I wanted to get another shot (hoped to find him dead)  and scrambled over a downed top on my right to get to the edge.  As I did that a blackbear cub came out from under the top and I tripped right over him on landing.
I looked to the left at the cub running and wanted to catch him, but scrambled to the right cuz buck...all I could see was dirt clods rolling downhill on top of the snow.  I tracked him downhill and across the bottom, he never slowed down and not one drop of blood... I swore to myself that I will hunt forever because no way could anything offer that much excitement is so short of a time.  Explosive ~ 5 or 10 seconds.

ETA I assumed that the buck had been hiding in tops and let me sneak past, then exploded once I had passed, likely when I paused for a second.
View Quote

That's a nice story.. yeah they do this, some animals know very well in which direction we are looking and start running at the right moment. I used this technique to hunt rabbits when i was younger. I stopped, turned around, the rabbia started running and after less than a sec my 12 gauge had already smoked him
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Antled or non antlered.

NO, I hopped out of the stand and shot her twice with a model 69 44 mag at 25 yards.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My ex BIL shot a pig at his feeder. He is not a great shot. The pig is spinning and jumping and making all kinds of noise.  He leaves it till evening hunt. When he walks up on the pig, it jumps up, stands on its hind legs and tries to attack him. He shot him 3 more times with 9mm and that bastard would not die. Left him to die again and came back a couple hours later. That pig was still alive and trying to crawl away.  I have never laughed that hard in my life.
View Quote

One day my brother was going around with our former dog, a german sheperd named Max. Max was not very big but he was a killer. He saw a wild boar, more or less 90 pounds, attacked him and CRACK, here it goes the spine. The lower part of the boar's body was paralyzed and my brother tried to kill the boar for mercy. My brkther eas like 14 at the time. He started kicking the pig in the head, nothing. Then he used some big woodsticks and rocks, the boar kept on losing consciousness but waking up a second later. So my brother took out his knife and tried to cut neck's arteries, he only got veins and the pig was still alive. At that point my brother, with his small opinel knife, cut between the ribs, opened the chest of the poor pig and stubbed it in the hearth.

My brother didn't come hunting with me for at least two years after this
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

NO, I hopped out of the stand and shot her twice with a model 69 44 mag at 25 yards.
View Quote

So she was still able to stand afyer thst shot in the face? You didn't hit the cns?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So she was still able to stand afyer thst shot in the face? You didn't hit the cns?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The shot hit her square in the lower jaw and blew it off.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boat almost sunk in a bad wind storm on a river.[/quote

Damn.. where?[/quote

On the Kuskokwim River just below Aniak.
Winds hit 80+ mile an hour and funneled by the hills right down the river.
Waves were close together and coming over the bow.

We were on our way back from just below McGrath.

Stayed overnight in a canvas tent hastily set up on a moose trail. Then spent three nights at a village waiting for winds to die down.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:21:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Few years ago my buddy shot at a 6 point with the muzzleloader.
After dark we get back to camp and ask where your deer....he is kind of sad and says i missed.

As we eat dinner he tells the story of his shot, I keep asking if he looked in the right area as deer usually come down a trail about 30 yards beyond where he is telling me the deer was.

After dinner we hop in the ranger and go look for blood.  Sure enough huge puddle right where I thought it would be.  So me, buddy, my son, and two beagles walk into the thicket following blood trail.  

We know the deer is dead from all the blood. (Maybe)

Son and dogs walk up front with only his phone as a light.  Yeah we were not exactly prepared for this.

About 40 yards in the dogs stop, son looks up with phone light and this buck is standing about 2 feet in front of him starring right at us and he is pissed.

Son starts screaming and running backwards falling to the ground. Dogs take off running thru woods.

I'm say hey shoot it and kill it.  Yep, no one has a gun with them.

We regroup as this deer is looking more demonic by the second, just starring at us and blowing steam from it's nose.

Son takes dog back to ranger to get rifle, he gets lost some how. I can see the headlights on ranger from where we are, yep he went wrong direction.

Buddy says I have my knife, great give me it.

He hands me a pocket knife with 1 inch blade and doesn't lock back.

The plan is for him to grab deer by horns and I get stabby with this little knife.  So he grabs the horns, deer goes ballistic, tossing his 300 lb ass around.  After a minute of thrashing he is able to pin deer against a tree and I am finally able to get close enough to get stabby and finally get enough blood flow to finish off the deer.

So he finally got his buck.  He hit it right in the lungs and I still can't believe it was alive when we found it, let alone still standing and strong.

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:27:48 AM EDT
[#25]
My father and I were surrounded by a large pack of Coyotes in the dark hiking out from our stands and we stood back to back in the dark with just flashlights hearing these evil bastards yip and howl while circling us, when all of a sudden my dad starts popping rounds off and cussing i swing around to see a cloud of fur in the air, one of the coyotes charged and lunged at my dad and he shot from the hip and hit the yote square in the chest from 5 yards away.  we got the heck out of the woods with a quickness.  This happened in Washington state.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 8:30:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boat almost sunk in a bad wind storm on a river.[/quote

Damn.. where?[/quote

On the Kuskokwim River just below Aniak.
Winds hit 80+ mile an hour and funneled by the hills right down the river.
Waves were close together and coming over the bow.

We were on our way back from just below McGrath.

Stayed overnight in a canvas tent hastily set up on a moose trail. Then spent three nights at a village waiting for winds to die down.
View Quote

Ok when can i come with you hunting in AK? Ahah
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 8:33:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
After dark we get back to camp and ask where your deer....he is kind of sad and says i missed.

As we eat dinner he tells the story of his shot, I keep asking if he looked in the right area as deer usually come down a trail about 30 yards beyond where he is telling me the deer was.

After dinner we hop in the ranger and go look for blood.  Sure enough huge puddle right where I thought it would be.  So me, buddy, my son, and two beagles walk into the thicket following blood trail.  

Son and dogs walk up front with only his phone as a light.  Yeah we were not exactly prepared for this.

About 40 yards in the dogs stop, son looks up with phone light and this buck is standing about 2 feet in front of him starring right at us and he is pissed.

Son starts screaming and running backwards falling to the ground. Dogs take off running thru woods.

We regroup as this deer is looking more demonic by the second, just starring at us and blowing steam from it's nose.

Son takes dog back to ranger to get rifle, he gets lost some how. I can see the headlights on ranger from where we are, yep he went wrong direction.

The plan is for him to grab deer by horns and I get stabby with this little knife.  So he grabs the horns, deer goes ballistic, tossing his 300 lb ass around.  After a minute of thrashing he is able to pin deer against a tree and I am finally able to get close enough to get stabby and finally get enough blood flow to finish off the deer.

So he finally got his buck.  He hit it right in the lungs and I still can't believe it was alive when we found it, let alone still standing and strong.

View Quote

That's crazy! So you didn't bring a gun because there are no dangerous animal in that area?
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 8:35:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My father and I were surrounded by a large pack of Coyotes in the dark hiking out from our stands and we stood back to back in the dark with just flashlights hearing these evil bastards yip and howl while circling us, when all of a sudden my dad starts popping rounds off and cussing i swing around to see a cloud of fur in the air, one of the coyotes charged and lunged at my dad and he shot from the hip and hit the yote square in the chest from 5 yards away.  we got the heck out of the woods with a quickness.  This happened in Washington state.
View Quote

Wtf.. i didn't think coyotes used to attack humans. I got charged by boars a few times. One time i climbed  tree, another time i hit a huge boar with a wood stick, he looked at me like if he was saying "oh, come on", and walked away. In the other hand i had a big ass knife tough
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 2:21:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Ok when can i come with you hunting in AK? Ahah
View Quote
Year after I bought a 22ft pacific skiff.

Much better than a 18ft alumaweld.

We quit hunting up near McGrath years ago when the moose population dropped.
The population is up now but expensive now so we stay near home.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 7:21:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's crazy! So you didn't bring a gun because there are no dangerous animal in that area?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's just say it was beverage time and we were not well prepared ??
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I took a Greenhorn friend squirrel hunting in the hills of Southeastern Ohio. I shot a squirrel with my .32 cal flintlock rifle. Told the Greenhorn to run up the hill and fetch my squirrel. He gets up the hill and yells down, " I don't think you want this one." I yelled back bring me my squirrel. He comes down the hill, hands me the squirrel with a look of disgust on his face. I told him there's nothing wrong with this squirrel other than it's head is mush.

My friend points at it's rear legs and says, whats that? I look and see nothing so I ask him to show me. He spreads the rear legs open and points at the squirrels balls and says WTF is that shit. I fell down laughing so hard. Then told him it's the same thing you have under your dick. This guy was 25 years old at the time and first time hunting.

Another time I was deer hunting with a good friend. I had my osage orange longbow and he had a crossbow. We met for lunch in a valley by a stream. While we were eating and talking about the hunt after lunch a big Fox squirrel jumps up on a log about 25 yards from us. The squirrel is eating corn, holding the whole cob in it's hands, sitting on it's butt. Looked like how a person eats sweet corn. My friend says, " Bet I can hit that squirrel in the head." I said no you can't. He takes aim with the one sighting pin on his crossbow and fires. The bolt hits the squirrel in the head just under his right eye and cuts his head in half. The squirrel is still sitting on the log holding the corn and turning it in his hands as if he's eating it but his head is flopped over in two pieces. After what seemed like a long time the squirrel fell off the log. I have more maybe I'll share someday.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I had a bobcat climb up a tree with me in it when I was 15.  Full camo and bow hunting.  He climbed right up to me within an arm length and never seen me until I drew the bow back. Then still didn't understand what he was looking at, like he seen the Predator or something. Then he slowly backed down the tree and ran.

I shot a 270 hole in the floorboard of my pickup when I was 16 after an evening of deer hunting. It was very startling. Dad was pissed about that.

I got left way out in the deep woods one evening while bow hunting when 15. When it got dark I realized  my ride wasnt coming and I better start hiking back, I got chased by a big ass fucking beaver on my way, scared the living shit out of me.  I finally got picked up after I already made it 3/4 the way, which was good because that last quarter was all up hill on the side of a big cliff.  Turns out Dad got a little to involved with a football game and forgot about me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top