Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2023 11:16:04 AM EDT
I have no idea regarding this topic.  I understand it needs to be done occasionally but I have trouble finding the specifics about what to use, how to administer, etc.  Any advice is appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#1]
It's been 5-6 years, but I think you just put diamatacious earth on their food and where they dust bathe.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Safe-guard pellets made for poultry.
Or
Piperazine in their water.

DE works a little bit. If there is a heavy parasite load it won't work.
Works best on external parasites. DE loses efficacy once it gets wet.

There are others, these are the ones I know.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Once every 4 months I use chicken feed with wormer already in it
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 4:04:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 9:28:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Once every 4 months I use chicken feed with wormer already in it
View Quote

I didn't know there was such a thing.  Thanks.  I'll check in to it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 11:16:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#7]
We get it at tractor supply company.  I forget the brand, they only carry one brand that has dewormer
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We get it at tractor supply company.  I forget the brand, they only carry one brand that has dewormer
View Quote

I’ll be in there tomorrow for feed.  I’ll be sure to check it out.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:37:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Free feed pumpkins in the fall
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 7:33:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In for the education.

I know of it, but have never done it in a lifetime of keeping chickens.

Apparently I'm a bad chicken parent.
View Quote

Same. Never have wormed a chicken.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Valbendazole. 0.5cc per bird if full size chicken. Oral, by syringe. Repeat in 10 days.  Buy it at Atwoods or TSC.

Corid for coccidiosis, put in their waterer. 2 tablespoon per gallon. Make available for 5-7 days in a row.

Best info on backyardchickens.com forum.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I went by this afternoon.  No such thing at that store.  Nor had any employees heard of it (not that that counts for much).
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Blue pour on ivermectin. 2-6 drops on the base of the neck depending on the chicken’s size. Same stuff you give cows. A well bred chicken generally shouldn’t need to be wormed, but some localities can have particularly nasty parasites that necessitates it every 6 months or so.

Virgin, unrefined, coconut oil mixed with feed and apple cider vinegar in their water may work for mild infestations.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:43:01 AM EDT
[#14]
@Bronsonburner

Do you have evidence of worms or suspect worms?

Deworming shouldn't be done as a preventative measure, only when confirmed.  As with any animal there are many different types of worms/parasites and should be treated accordingly.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't know about worming chickens but my grampa use to sprinkle Levi Garret snuff in the nest boxes and enclosed coop to keep mites and other harmful bugs at bay. I have no idea if it actually worked or not but grampa swore by it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I use food grade Diatomaceous Earth in nest boxes and coop floor for crawling critter control. Helps with the stank too IMO.

Some use it in their chickens feed for internal parasite control.

What makes you think you have wormy chickens?
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm trying not to overthink it. I sprinkle some in when I put out scratch. No issues yet.

Red pepper flakes are good for chickens.
Red pepper contains capsaicin which helps chickens fight bacteria and worm infestation. Carotenoids in red pepper might also increase your chickens' egg yolk color and health benefits. Red pepper flakes for chickens are high in vitamin C and may improve blood circulation.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 2:02:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Shit butt is a sign of worms.  Some of mine have it, some don't.  When you treat, you are supposed to withhold eggs for a while.  

When they become FSA in the winter is a good time to do that...
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:33:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:35:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:38:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:16:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I use food grade Diatomaceous Earth in nest boxes and coop floor for crawling critter control. Helps with the stank too IMO.

Some use it in their chickens feed for internal parasite control.

What makes you think you have wormy chickens?
View Quote

Nothing really.  I’m just new to this and gathered it needed doing occasionally.  I wouldn’t be a bit disappointed if I am wrong though!  Thanks for all the advice everyone.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@Swampgrass

Your chickens are more self sufficient as a rule, but do you have insight?

View Quote

Me Swampfrog?

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yes.  

Sorry.

I have grass on the brain, obviously.

View Quote

No worries. Here’s my 2 cents, as it applies to my flock of of reasonably self-sufficient, 24/7 free range, game chickens and cross breeds:

I lose few young chickens to predators, but lose many to gut parasites. My chickens drink from stagnant ponds, puddles, and drains in 100F heat. Good places for Giardia and other protozoans to live. Some of my chickens seem to have a natural resistance to them but most will get infected and become emaciated their first week or two of free range if I don’t worm them with ivermectin. After an initial dosage of ivermectin, most don’t seem to get infected again. A few will be prone to constant reinfection and I let those cull themselves out of the breeding population. I give a dosage to all new free rangers within their first 2 weeks of free ranging and follow up every 6 months. It kills the protozoans well and has the benefit of having a broad range of effectiveness on many other parasites and blood suckers. I give 3-6 drops of blue pour on ivermectin per bird directly on the skin under the feathers.

I have a large patch of oregano in my front yard the chickens constantly eat from. My chickens also eat dog fennel, which is a natural pesticide. Those things may help with other parasites but only the ivermectin seems to kill the protozoans like Giardia and Coccidia.  

I do believe apple cider vinegar mixed in plastic waterers in the amount of 1-2 teaspoons per gallon and unrefined coconut oil mixed with their food, each given periodically, help with parasite resistance in the months between ivermectin doses.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:42:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 11:21:16 PM EDT
[#29]
We have many, many birds we raise  to sell eggs. We haven't ever medicated. We've had no issues.
We do raise ours in chicken tractors as opposed to coops.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 12:27:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In for the education.

I know of it, but have never done it in a lifetime of keeping chickens.

Apparently I'm a bad chicken parent.

same here
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Good information!

And the apple cider vinegar and coconut oil could be done all the time, even for chickens kept contained.

Do you take a break from the eggs after ivermectin?  I know it's a very small dose.

View Quote

I don’t observe egg withdrawal with it. I get it all over my hands when I dose the chickens, so I get exposed to it anyhow. I think a little ivermectin once in a while to clean out the system is good.

But… I have so many eggs anyhow, I don’t think its worked out where I’ve been collecting eggs right after dosing. When my egg cartons are full I stop collecting eggs and let hens go broody on them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yes.  

Sorry.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me Swampfrog?

Yes.  

Sorry.

I was confused for a second.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#35]
We've had all of our birds over a year and haven't given them any medication at all. They free range around the property and every evening the wadle back to the coop for the night. We feed and let them out every morning and we have had zero issues at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top