Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2021 12:54:10 PM EDT
About to pick this up and wanted to know if it's a total no go.  I'm not really that picky, but wanted something decent and Costco had this.

It will be used primarily for two freezers and a fridge.  I don't really have anything else except a sump, but I figure I can alternate between appliances (The sumps have battery backup).

We have gas, hence the tri fuel.  

Thanks
Firman 7500W running/ 9400W peak tri fuel
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
for just 2 freezers and a fridge a bit of overkill. But I would buy it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you think a 2900/ 3200W inverter would suffice?  They have a duel fuel Firman.  I do keep propane and gas on hand, so the NG was just more of a what if thing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:19:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DV8] [#3]
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#4]
For what you want, buy a 3500-4000 watt inverter generator. That's a gas hog for what you want to do.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:32:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RXM] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fxntime:
For what you want, buy a 3500-4000 watt inverter generator. That's a gas hog for what you want to do.
View Quote

It will cost more but the features make it worthwhile and most folks gravitate towards the Honda Link.  Besides fuel, it is also safer for your electronics.

We lost power a few times last year and didn't want to deal with the fuel, starting every month, etc so we bought a 24kw standby generator.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a Honda if you want it to start every time
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#7]
It'll be fine
It'll use a lot of fuel
A generator half it's size would run 2 freeze and a fridge with lots left over and use 1/2 the fuel.

If you're anal spend $3000 more for a Honda.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I just realized I posted in the wrong forum...

I Can't spend more than $8/900
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks.  I really can't spend that much...
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:11:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: frozenny] [#10]
Cooper, I'm a bit late to this party, but here you go....   Don't buy that generator.  It is too damn big.

Yeah, we live in a "bigger is better" sort of society.  The problem with a big generator is that they are fuel hungry.  It doesn't matter if its gasoline, diesel, propane or NG, big engines use a lot of fuel.   And the problem quickly becomes "I cannot keep this running!"...

I've used everything from little 2000W inverter generators, thru 4000W portables and a bigger commercial grade 5500W Honda unit. The big units amaze me:  I fire up the one at work, and simply run it once every couple of weeks for an hour or two.  It is ALWAYS empty!!!  I do not know its fuel consumption specs, but the big units are thirsty pigs...  Look online, and you usually can find a fuel consumption guideline...  A lot of units in the 7500W range are going to burn through well north of 20 gallons of gasoline in 24 hours..  

Do not run an engine that big if you do not need to!  There is zero need to run a freezer 24 hours continuously.  Plug it in, run it for 40 minutes to cool the interior, then shut it off.  Leave it closed.  A refrigerator can be run the same way.  With switching you can keep the home fires burning, and do so with a smaller 2000, 3000W generator that will only need 4 or 5 gallons for 24 hours....  You can get by with a smaller fuel storage requirement.

You've got natural gas.  Fantastic.  The issue is still fuel.  Look carefully at fuel consumption.  Even on NG, your fuel bill for a big engine is going to shock you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:26:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cooper1:
I just realized I posted in the wrong forum...

I Can't spend more than $8/900
View Quote

Harbor freight 3,500 watt unit.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:11:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I would buy a inverter generator.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:12:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I ended up with a 4k Champion digital hybrid inverter duel fuel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top