BCM
User Panel

TRI AN/PRC-152 (Page 15 of 25)
Page / 25
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By amd_dude:
Is there any effort to give these digital mode(s) (say, dmr) and encryption?  That would be the bees knees.
View Quote

they're not trying to expand the capabilities at this point, I dont think.
I think the cost to entry for this radio over a much cheaper HT is the issue. (if they're not flying off the shelves, they arent motivated to update and add features)
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 10:50:17 AM EDT
[#2]
It's because the makers are sort of flying under the radar, as is.

Harris allows it because it's a low tier transceiver that doesn't really challenge anyone's LMR sales. You make it where it actually does stuff... Motorola in the day was pretty covetous, I'm not sure how Big H would take it.

Reminds me; about time to go poke the bear again that says they are building the new gen 152...
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Greetings all!

Short version - does anyone in the SoCal area have one of these, along with a PTT that would allow a Comtac VI to plug in, for testing purposes?

Long version... so, I ordered an amplified PTT for my UV-5Rs so I could plug in my new Comtac VI.

While it works, there is an irritating buzz whenever I transmit.  I don’t hear it, but everyone else does when I talk.

Before I sent the PTT back, I thought it might be a good idea to test my headset with a known good one... and it’d be even better to do it with a genuine military PTT and six-pin connector.  That way, if it worked with known good parts, we’d know it was the amplified PTT and not my headset.  I’ve tried it with enough UV-5Rs to pretty much rule out a bad radio.

I suppose if someone had a known good UV-5R (or whatever) setup and was willing to meet to test this out, that’d work as well...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Akin:
Greetings all!

Short version - does anyone in the SoCal area have one of these, along with a PTT that would allow a Comtac VI to plug in, for testing purposes?

Long version... so, I ordered an amplified PTT for my UV-5Rs so I could plug in my new Comtac VI.

While it works, there is an irritating buzz whenever I transmit.  I don’t hear it, but everyone else does when I talk.

Before I sent the PTT back, I thought it might be a good idea to test my headset with a known good one... and it’d be even better to do it with a genuine military PTT and six-pin connector.  That way, if it worked with known good parts, we’d know it was the amplified PTT and not my headset.  I’ve tried it with enough UV-5Rs to pretty much rule out a bad radio.

I suppose if someone had a known good UV-5R (or whatever) setup and was willing to meet to test this out, that’d work as well...

Thanks!
View Quote

Where/ who did you get the PTT from.

I'm keeping track of what works/doesn't work. Mine has been flawless.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#5]
To add...

@scarlett92584 makes robust amplified PTT's using genuine U94 PTTs. Mine has 100% flawless since the day I got it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By PFran42:

Where/ who did you get the PTT from.

I'm keeping track of what works/doesn't work. Mine has been flawless.
View Quote

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1443722339200376

What kind of ears do you have? Thinking the issue may be that mine are Comtac VI NIBs.

I suppose if anyone here in SoCal has some Comtac IIIs that we could test it on, that’d be another variable to eliminate.  The guy that makes them says he’s not sure if he’s ever encountered a VI before...
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:33:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I have comtac III in San diego.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 2:57:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
I have comtac III in San diego.
View Quote

Well, I won't be down that way anytime soon, but next time I do I may try to get hold of you if you don't mind letting me test it out real quick
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:07:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Is there not an airsoft or milsurp store around you that you could drag your stuff into and see if they would help?
Failing that, is there not a ham radio or search and rescue or prepper group or electronics repair place or radio install shop or communications shop?
That buzz is going to be a bad ground, a ground loop, bad work in the amp, bad amp to radio software configuration, or a wire issue.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 8:51:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By high_order1:
Is there not an airsoft or milsurp store around you that you could drag your stuff into and see if they would help?
Failing that, is there not a ham radio or search and rescue or prepper group or electronics repair place or radio install shop or communications shop?
That buzz is going to be a bad ground, a ground loop, bad work in the amp, bad amp to radio software configuration, or a wire issue.
View Quote

The answer to each of your questions is “I’ve no idea”.

Well, I do know Evike is down here somewhere, but I’ve also seen that they are closed for the duration.  You can place an order and they’ll hand it off to you in their parking lot, or something to that effect, but you can’t go inside and play with anything.

Besides, are there *any* retail locations that carry these? I always thought they were an online-only type of thing...
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#11]
are there *any* retail locations that carry these? I always thought they were an online-only type of thing...
View Quote
not really looking at it from the radio link in the chain. If you talk into the box, and no buzz, then it is from the boxes connection into the transceiver outboard.

Many of those places will sell 3M/Peltor products, and several of them might have mil radio equipment. You certain the plug is completely connected to the radio port? I'd expend some time ruling out the simple stuff
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#12]
not really looking at it from the radio link in the chain. If you talk into the box, and no buzz, then it is from the boxes connection into the transceiver outboard.

Many of those places will sell 3M/Peltor products, and several of them might have mil radio equipment. You certain the plug is completely connected to the radio port? I'd expend some time ruling out the simple stuff
View Quote

The radios work fine with either nothing, or a speaker mike plugged in.

So, the problem’s either the PTT or the Peltors, which is why I’d love to try them with a known good PTT to a six-pin connector...
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:59:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: i_tell_you_what] [#13]
What's up with the prc listings on ebay saying they include the encryption board?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-TCA-AN-PRC-152A-MBITR-CNC-VERSION-MULTIBAND-RADIO-ALUMINUM-Shell-High-Power-/264852268888
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 2:32:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By amd_dude:
What's up with the prc listings on ebay saying they include the encryption board?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-TCA-AN-PRC-152A-MBITR-CNC-VERSION-MULTIBAND-RADIO-ALUMINUM-Shell-High-Power-/264852268888
View Quote
Chinese translation/overstated advertising for a feature these have always had, the inversion voice scrambler mode.  Not real encryption by any stretch, but remember these are made and marketed to airsofters and such primarily, so they use flowery advertising to those who wouldn't know better.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 6:32:56 AM EDT
[#15]

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1443722339200376

What kind of ears do you have? Thinking the issue may be that mine are Comtac VI NIBs.

I suppose if anyone here in SoCal has some Comtac IIIs that we could test it on, that’d be another variable to eliminate.  The guy that makes them says he’s not sure if he’s ever encountered a VI before...
View Quote

Comtac III w/ single comm.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

that's an issue with the UV5R.
mine did that a couple times then I fiddled with it and it stopped.. (was using a hand mic at the time)... I can't remember what I did to fix the problem but I ran through all the connections making sure they were secure and I also changed the Tx/Rx channel and the issue went away..

it's happened on a couple different setups at different times over the last 5-6 years.. (not at all recently though)
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 11:31:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Akin] [#17]
Originally Posted By tapered-pin:

mine did that a couple times then I fiddled with it and it stopped.. (was using a hand mic at the time)... I can't remember what I did to fix the problem but I ran through all the connections making sure they were secure and I also changed the Tx/Rx channel and the issue went away..

it's happened on a couple different setups at different times over the last 5-6 years.. (not at all recently though)
View Quote

Huh.

Most folks tell me they've never had that issue with their gear.  I've also tried different frequencies and different UV-5Rs...

EDIT TO ADD oh yeah, I also use speaker mics without issue...

:-/
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By tapered-pin:

View Quote

That's the baofeng tight hole curse. Many of the plugs have flash or sprue or they just messed up, and the plug pole won't fully seat, causing a minor short. Sometimes a MAJOR short and the radio goes into TX until you yank the plug. You wind up either trashing the connector, or taking an xacto knife and trimming the excess plastic away until it completely seats.

I think? I'm pretty sure that's right. That, and they are a bitch to remove the plug from the jack, too.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:12:03 PM EDT
[#19]

That's the baofeng tight hole curse. Many of the plugs have flash or sprue or they just messed up, and the plug pole won't fully seat, causing a minor short. Sometimes a MAJOR short and the radio goes into TX until you yank the plug. You wind up either trashing the connector, or taking an xacto knife and trimming the excess plastic away until it completely seats.

I think? I'm pretty sure that's right. That, and they are a bitch to remove the plug from the jack, too.
View Quote

Huh.

I didn’t notice any difficulty removing the plug.

Also, the radios work fine when I use a regular speaker mic.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 7:35:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bubbahana] [#20]
Is the volume knob on these supposed to turn the radio off?  If I turn mine down full stop the radio does not turn off.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By bubbahana:
Is the volume knob on these supposed to turn the radio off?  If I turn mine down full stop the radio does not turn off.
View Quote

Yes. Mine was acting weird when I first got it but a software reset fixed it. I don't remember the key combo but I think it's in the manual.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By phurba:

Yes. Mine was acting weird when I first got it but a software reset fixed it. I don't remember the key combo but I think it's in the manual.
View Quote

Awesome I'll take a look!
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 1:53:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Akin] [#23]
So, I think I need to buy one of these.

Problem is, I don't know enough to know what I don't know, if that makes sense.  :-D

Is there an Idiot's Guide to these radios, or maybe some venerable expert who wouldn't mind maybe walking a newb through the details via chat or something?  I can't even fall back on what I learned in the Army, as we were still using PRC-77s...

Usecase: talking with people using Baofengs and the like, but I want to have cool toys. Hiking, camping, post-apocalyptic coordination, etc.

Also, I've been thinking of getting back into milsim airsoft, and I'd hate to be the one with the lame gear that everyone laughs at when he's not around.

Anyone know if these are any good?
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:09:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Anyone know if these are any good?
View Quote

I bought mine from the ShiQing guy on FB. Super easy to deal with, and it shipped fairly quickly. I bought the TRI version, though...

Link Posted: 12/24/2020 1:27:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Akin] [#25]
Originally Posted By Gloworm19:

I bought mine from the ShiQing guy on FB. Super easy to deal with, and it shipped fairly quickly. I bought the TRI version, though...

View Quote

Is there much difference? I know there are two different brands, and that some people say one or the other is better... but that's about all that I know...
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 8:49:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gloworm19] [#26]

Is there much difference? I know there are two different brands, and that some people say one or the other is better... but that's about all that I know...
View Quote

Honestly, I'd read quite a bit about both, and couldn't come to any serious conclusion about which was truly better. I just went with the newest 10W version from TRI. So far, it's holding up well. I haven't transmitted yet, since I'm studying for licensure, but it seems to receive pretty well with an 18" folding antenna.

Reading through this thread will give you some good info.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Honestly, I'd read quite a bit about both, and couldn't come to any serious conclusion about which was truly better. I just went with the newest 10W version from TRI. So far, it's holding up well. I haven't transmitted yet, since I'm studying for licensure, but it seems to receive pretty well with an 18" folding antenna.

Reading through this thread will give you some good info.
View Quote

I did read through the whole thread.  A lot of it, I didn't understand... but as to the two brands, it seems that some people like one and some like the other.  :-D
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Was hoping to see a TRI PRC 117 this year but I guess not due to COVID. Need to pick up a 148 to go with my 152 to hold me over.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 1:49:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mancow] [#29]
You guys think you have problems, I have a real one that had a capacitor blow up. It now shows SYNTHISIZER UNLOCK.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 5:54:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
This place has 4 for $100.

They are used, or at best NOS, but not guaranteed to be 100%.  When I ordered four, two were dead and un-usable, one was is good working shape, and the last works, but you can tell by the voltage sage when used that it's not long for useful life.

Harris chargers for them are not to expensive on ebay.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DerFALMaus:
What's a good source for spare Harris batteries?  Mine came in yesterday after almost 2 months waiting.
This place has 4 for $100.

They are used, or at best NOS, but not guaranteed to be 100%.  When I ordered four, two were dead and un-usable, one was is good working shape, and the last works, but you can tell by the voltage sage when used that it's not long for useful life.

Harris chargers for them are not to expensive on ebay.

FFFFFFUUUUUUUU....

I held out too long and they’re no longer available. I looked all over the web and I can’t find any anywhere. I hate myself. I would be happy to take some off someone’s hands if they want to sell...
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:24:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Have a couple of the factory Harris PRC152 battery chargers new in box if anyone is looking before I list in the EE.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Josh:
if someone in the NOVA area has a TRI and wants to get together to reverse engineer the comms we could probably set up a time to do it and I could help get the documentation started to get some software written for it if there's nothing available.  

It would give me a great excuse to finally buy my own salae, I need a good excuse.  lol

View Quote

New member here but NOVA local with a LOT of test equipment and reversing experience, more than happy to lend my skills and equipment to this effort.
As for the "there's no easy or simple way to test antennas to know how good they are or if they're just a dummy" I raise you a pocket Vector Network Analyzer, I literally keep one in my away team work pack. They're INCREDIBLY useful and these days damn cheap.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 3:07:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tapered-pin] [#33]
Originally Posted By Rktengineer:

New member here but NOVA local with a LOT of test equipment and reversing experience, more than happy to lend my skills and equipment to this effort.
As for the "there's no easy or simple way to test antennas to know how good they are or if they're just a dummy" I raise you a pocket Vector Network Analyzer, I literally keep one in my away team work pack. They're INCREDIBLY useful and these days damn cheap.
View Quote

AGREED!
I picked one up when I purchased my radio and I’ve been thoroughly impressed with its versatility..

Got a dual band ABREE antenna and ran it through the analyzer, I was NOT impressed.. (with the antenna, the analyzer was, again, AWESOME)
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#34]
I’m on the fence about a 10 w TRI PRC I found on eBay. I have looked at some Motorola LMR’s and considered using my Kenwood THf6a for use on my PC.  I’m not sure my Kenwood would hold up to hard use.  I realize the TRI PRC is really just a baofeng in a bigger case but would probably be easier to program than a Motorola.  Can anyone talk me out of a 10w TRI PRC?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:03:23 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Josh:
if someone in the NOVA area has a TRI and wants to get together to reverse engineer the comms we could probably set up a time to do it and I could help get the documentation started to get some software written for it if there's nothing available.  

It would give me a great excuse to finally buy my own salae, I need a good excuse.  lol

I have a TRI and am interested in helping...
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By jharpphoto:
Can anyone talk me out of a 10w TRI PRC?
View Quote

dont look at me, I bought two of them...
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Does anybody have issues using the TRI charger on Harris batteries?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By NoMoAMMO:
Does anybody have issues using the TRI charger on Harris batteries?
View Quote

Mine works fine. One Harris battery I got from Milspec seems to be completely dead, but the other three plus the one that came with the radio charge fine.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Mine seems to charge the TRI fine but when is on the Harris it says its charging put when I pu them in the radio the battery level never changes.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By NoMoAMMO:
Mine seems to charge the TRI fine but when is on the Harris it says its charging put when I pu them in the radio the battery level never changes.
View Quote

The battery is probably toast, 2 of the 4 I got from American Milspec were DOA.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#41]
I had 2 that were dead the rest all had a chatge still
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Whereaboutsish are you? and how would you like to collaborate on figuring out how to get comms working on these? Will likely require poking around on the main boards to find comms busses and possibly JTAGs to try ripping firmware off.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:26:48 AM EDT
[#43]

Whereaboutsish are you? and how would you like to collaborate on figuring out how to get comms working on these? Will likely require poking around on the main boards to find comms busses and possibly JTAGs to try ripping firmware off.
View All Quotes

Sent you a PM.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:18:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Well this was very interesting, good news is there IS a high probability of being able to program this but will likely require hardware modification unless we figure something out. More good news is that these are WONDERFULLY designed and built internally, triple board with plenty of FFCs and NO CHIP MARKINGS SQEEEGEED OFF, and a larger pocket for a possible daughterboard.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:16:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gloworm19] [#45]
Josh and Rktengineer-

Definitely good meeting you guys yesterday, and it was cool to watch you work. I'm curious to see what else you come up with...

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#46]
I am not a squeaks and beeps guy by any means. So here one for you guys:

I have my TRI 148.

Get the 148 on channel 1 for a talkabout.  I can hear the talkabout on the 148, but the talkabout cannot hear the 148 when I transmit.

Offsets are closed and set to 0.000.

I see the little "use" sign on the lower right of the talkabout.

I have tried a headset with the talkabout too--no luck there either.

The talkabout is an old radio--but all other volume works fine on the talkabout.

I am sure that I am missing something simple.

Any ideas?  Thank you.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By billpete:
I am not a squeaks and beeps guy by any means. So here one for you guys:

I have my TRI 148.

Get the 148 on channel 1 for a talkabout.  I can hear the talkabout on the 148, but the talkabout cannot hear the 148 when I transmit.

Offsets are closed and set to 0.000.

I see the little "use" sign on the lower right of the talkabout.

I have tried a headset with the talkabout too--no luck there either.

The talkabout is an old radio--but all other volume works fine on the talkabout.

I am sure that I am missing something simple.

Any ideas?  Thank you.

View Quote

You have a PL tone enabled on the talkabout, what they might call a "sub channel" or "privacy code", something like that.  Either disable that on the talkabout or figure out which tone it is and enable it to transmit with the 1faux8.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#48]

You have a PL tone enabled on the talkabout, what they might call a "sub channel" or "privacy code", something like that.  Either disable that on the talkabout or figure out which tone it is and enable it to transmit with the 1faux8.
View Quote

That was it, thank you!
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#49]
What do folks think about this version? I'm still trying to figure out where I should buy one from...

https://readymaderesources.com/product/tri-an-prc-152-multiband-handheld-radio-mbitr-aluminum-shell-radio12-6-volt-high-power-green/
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#50]
What do folks think about this version? I'm still trying to figure out where I should buy one from...

https://readymaderesources.com/product/tri-an-prc-152-multiband-handheld-radio-mbitr-aluminum-shell-radio12-6-volt-high-power-green/
View Quote
That looks like the same 10W TRI version that's been out for a while.  Never heard of that site, and they have older pictures (the tan version was way back when they made the plastic body version).

Most people just buy them on EBay I think.
Page / 25
TRI AN/PRC-152 (Page 15 of 25)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top