Site Notices
TRI AN/PRC-152 (Page 12 of 25)
Page / 25
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:14:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By high_order1:

(Snip)

Honestly, people would be better served by buying an airsoft shell and figuring out a way to run a baofeng from inside it...
View Quote

I was under the impression that the TRI was exactly that.

That’s the allure. A Baofeng that tons of people have experience with, 10W, Mil type connectors for real PTT’s/antennas/batteries, a metal shell that can take a beating and some level of water resistance.

You nail the above list and I’ll gladly pay the $290.

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:39:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mancow] [#2]
I have a real one, a Harris RF5800HH, that I've had for about 10 years. I turned it on one day and it said VCO unlock. Inside a power regulator switching coverter circuit let the smoke out. I can't imagine what that will cost to fix if they even will without trying to label me as some sort of terrorist.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By mancow:
I have a real one, a Harris RF5800HH, that I've had for about 10 years. I turned it on one day and it said VCO unlock. Inside a power regulator switching coverter circuit let the smoke out. I can't imagine what that will cost to fix if they even will without trying to label me as some sort of terrorist.
View Quote

How would you even ask, as a plain civilian? You'd have to have a Harris account... is there a dealer in your area that is affiliated? Besides... I figured you had the reflow station to go with it  (been following your posts around the bat-o-sphere for many years now )

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By mancow:
I have a real one, a Harris RF5800HH, that I've had for about 10 years. I turned it on one day and it said VCO unlock. Inside a power regulator switching coverter circuit let the smoke out. I can't imagine what that will cost to fix if they even will without trying to label me as some sort of terrorist.
View Quote

V or m?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:45:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancow] [#5]

How would you even ask, as a plain civilian? You'd have to have a Harris account... is there a dealer in your area that is affiliated? Besides... I figured you had the reflow station to go with it   (been following your posts around the bat-o-sphere for many years now  )

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I have a real one, a Harris RF5800HH, that I've had for about 10 years. I turned it on one day and it said VCO unlock. Inside a power regulator switching coverter circuit let the smoke out. I can't imagine what that will cost to fix if they even will without trying to label me as some sort of terrorist.

How would you even ask, as a plain civilian? You'd have to have a Harris account... is there a dealer in your area that is affiliated? Besides... I figured you had the reflow station to go with it   (been following your posts around the bat-o-sphere for many years now  )

I do have the reflow and tried to fix it but without a schematic it's a shot in the dark. It looked like it was the diode in that buck converter circtuit that went super critical. I tried swapping in several different types that would normally be used in that type of circuit but no luck. I have no way of knowing if it took out something else along the way too.

I've had people tell me that they have fixed similar units for others so I guess I'll just suck it up and reach out to them and hope for the best.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By pbjunkiee:

V or m?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pbjunkiee:

V or m?

RF-5800M-HH001    30-512 model.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:47:35 PM EDT
[#7]

RF-5800M-HH001    30-512 model.
View Quote

I've always meant to ask, and don't answer if you can't or don't want to, but how did you come into getting this unit? I've been keeping my eyes open for those for a while, and aside from you, have only seen or heard of a couple in private ownership.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:55:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Conspiro-Agnew:

I've always meant to ask, and don't answer if you can't or don't want to, but how did you come into getting this unit? I've been keeping my eyes open for those for a while, and aside from you, have only seen or heard of a couple in private ownership.
View All Quotes

I've always meant to ask, and don't answer if you can't or don't want to, but how did you come into getting this unit? I've been keeping my eyes open for those for a while, and aside from you, have only seen or heard of a couple in private ownership.

They show up on ebay every now and again. A few weeks ago there were a couple of Harris Falcon receive-only models with video adapters for viewing ISR feeds.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By phurba:

They show up on ebay every now and again. A few weeks ago there were a couple of Harris Falcon receive-only models with video adapters for viewing ISR feeds.
View Quote

I saw those but didn't realize they were receive only.

Sure seems very complex for what it seems a small laptop, receiver, and some software could do.  Were doing, if i correctly recall the scandal from a few years back when it was discovered some Arabs were watching drone surveillance feeds.

But i know next to nothing about this stuff.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:19:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Those receiver are all over gov sales sites
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:28:10 AM EDT
[#11]

I don't know. The guy seems to be pimping an upcoming 117g that's just a shell with a lightup display. He says eventually it will be an actual radio, and somehow I got the impression the engine will also go in the 152 he has said will be rolling out... sometime this year. If they do share radio decks, it looks like you'll be able to remotely operate it. No word on number of bands, etc.

update from the FCS public page, this is the KDU for the radio engine that will go in the 117 (which, if you look around, you'll see it referred to as 117/152):

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/17550/Annotation_2019-10-20_000539_jpg-1130706.JPG

Point I'm trying to suggest is that if they actually pull this off, and you want a radio that you can interface things to that will actually control it on dedicated lines instead of one wire serial on the audio line or some kind of internal kludge, and you don't absolutely have to have one now, and this one later, I'd give Falco 6 months an see if this was all bs or not. 
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By chR15:

Anything the upcoming 152 have over current 10w/newest versions?

I don't know. The guy seems to be pimping an upcoming 117g that's just a shell with a lightup display. He says eventually it will be an actual radio, and somehow I got the impression the engine will also go in the 152 he has said will be rolling out... sometime this year. If they do share radio decks, it looks like you'll be able to remotely operate it. No word on number of bands, etc.

update from the FCS public page, this is the KDU for the radio engine that will go in the 117 (which, if you look around, you'll see it referred to as 117/152):

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/17550/Annotation_2019-10-20_000539_jpg-1130706.JPG

Point I'm trying to suggest is that if they actually pull this off, and you want a radio that you can interface things to that will actually control it on dedicated lines instead of one wire serial on the audio line or some kind of internal kludge, and you don't absolutely have to have one now, and this one later, I'd give Falco 6 months an see if this was all bs or not. 

Dangit.  I just read all 12 pages of this thread, when I hit this post (^^^) I got all worked up anticipating a 117g by last page, buuuuuttt.... nope.

Also interested in a 10w 152, but want software programmable and vox.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

eBay. It wasn't cheap.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:13:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Dang, looks like you could use the ISR receivers on the ham S band for ATV... little expensive, but it is possible.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:01:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Porcupine55] [#14]
Just a quick question to confirm what I understand is correct:

I recently picked up a new TRI-152 multiband, plugged in a Peltor comtac PTT and my MSA Sordins. I configured for internal speaker and can listen to FM radio through the Sordins, though it’s a bit quiet. When I transmit out, other radios hear me loud and clear. When other radios transmit it’s extremely quiet through the sordins and I can barely hear anything. Will an inline amplifier between PTT and Sordins fix this as I understand it?
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Porcupine55:
Just a quick question to confirm what I understand is correct:

I recently picked up a new TRI-152 multiband, plugged in a Peltor comtac PTT and my MSA Sordins. I configured for internal speaker and can listen to FM radio through the Sordins, though it’s a bit quiet. When I transmit out, other radios hear me loud and clear. When other radios transmit it’s extremely quiet through the sordins and I can barely hear anything. Will an inline amplifier between PTT and Sordins fix this as I understand it?
View Quote

Yes. Usually handled as an amplified PTT. There's a lot of fake airsoft ones out there though, so look for ones that cost more than the cheap ones.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#16]
This. I’m betting you have a bogus PTT.

Originally Posted By phurba:

Yes. Usually handled as an amplified PTT. There's a lot of fake airsoft ones out there though, so look for ones that cost more than the cheap ones.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Are these TRI legit radios? The PRC-117G looks fun, I'm considering one but i have no idea if they are functional legit radios.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By cXpSRi3x:
Are these TRI legit radios? The PRC-117G looks fun, I'm considering one but i have no idea if they are functional legit radios.
View Quote

The 117 is unobtainium.

The TRI PRC-152 is pretty great. Legit 6 pin connector, works great with milsurp accessories. Uses legit Harris batteries. Firmware is surprisingly good. Frequency coverage is normal for import commercial radios.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:06:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Seems like this was the thread where we were discussing programming software for these - which radio was it that doesn’t have software?  

If there’s an interest I’ve built up my bench capabilities quite a bit since the start of this work from home thing, I probably have all the tools I would need to investigate a little on this if you all would let me know what radio is the one that makes sense to start on.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#20]

The 117 is unobtainium.

The TRI PRC-152 is pretty great. Legit 6 pin connector, works great with milsurp accessories. Uses legit Harris batteries. Firmware is surprisingly good. Frequency coverage is normal for import commercial radios.
View Quote

I was hoping to see the updated 117 released this year, but I think Covid 19 delayed that.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:49:02 PM EDT
[#21]

The 117 is unobtainium.

View Quote

It says in stock

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#22]

It says in stock

View All Quotes

The 117 is unobtainium.

It says in stock

For at least the 50th time in this thread alone, it's not.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 3:27:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AJ-0311] [#23]
It's in stock until you check out, and learn it's not.

As far as programming, the TCA version is computer programmable if I'm not mistaken. I have a TCI and it is far better than the VX-7 I used for years, not a bad radio, just more "capabilities" than I needed. Using original Harris batteries mine will do 11.8 watts out across VHF/UHF and easily do 3 days before I have to change the battery
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:55:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stillnothere] [#24]

Thought you guys might find this interesting...
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#25]
What's a good source for spare Harris batteries?  Mine came in yesterday after almost 2 months waiting.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 1:21:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#26]
Originally Posted By DerFALMaus:
What's a good source for spare Harris batteries?  Mine came in yesterday after almost 2 months waiting.
View Quote
This place has 4 for $100.

They are used, or at best NOS, but not guaranteed to be 100%.  When I ordered four, two were dead and un-usable, one was is good working shape, and the last works, but you can tell by the voltage sage when used that it's not long for useful life.

Harris chargers for them are not to expensive on ebay.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I skimmed through all 12 pages, but didn't pick up an answer.

I have the older type, plastic TRI 152 with APRS build in. I put it aside for a year or so and now I have picked it up again and the battery is dead as a doornail. It is the 8.5V battery, can I use the newer 12V battery on this radio or do I need to go the battery case route, as I can't find any supplier who has the 8.5V in stock?

kind regards,
Xander
PC2H
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Both my TRI's kill real harris batteries when left connected even turned off.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 3:38:16 PM EDT
[#29]
It wasn't supposed to be left alone for such a long time, but life happens ;-)
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By airmandaniel:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/355044/5352CBC1-6230-499F-853F-A313653FBF68-1431433.jpg
Thought you guys might find this interesting...
View Quote

Imagine the LARPing you could do with that unit!
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:46:22 PM EDT
[#31]
ordered a couple of these.. inbound.. we'll see how long they take to get here..
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Ok, got an inline amplifier from this place:

https://www.dlptactical.com/collections/helmet-accessories/products/amplifier-dynamic-to-condenser-mic-adaptor-for-low-impedance-peltor-comtac-msa-sordin-headset-to-high-impedance-ptt-radio

Plugged it in between my sordins and my Peltor PTT, and it made everything even quieter through the sordins. Im going the wrong direction here. Talking through my sordin mic im received fine on the other end, but I can’t hear anything on my end really. I took out the adapter and fiddled with some settings. It sounds pretty decent now, and I can carry on conversations pretty well, but I would still like everything to be a bit louder when listening through the sordins. Anyone have any ideas? If not, I might just call TCI or TEA and see what they have for PTT’s that could do what I need.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Porcupine55:
Ok, got an inline amplifier from this place:

https://www.dlptactical.com/collections/helmet-accessories/products/amplifier-dynamic-to-condenser-mic-adaptor-for-low-impedance-peltor-comtac-msa-sordin-headset-to-high-impedance-ptt-radio

Plugged it in between my sordins and my Peltor PTT, and it made everything even quieter through the sordins. Im going the wrong direction here. Talking through my sordin mic im received fine on the other end, but I can't hear anything on my end really. I took out the adapter and fiddled with some settings. It sounds pretty decent now, and I can carry on conversations pretty well, but I would still like everything to be a bit louder when listening through the sordins. Anyone have any ideas? If not, I might just call TCI or TEA and see what they have for PTT's that could do what I need.
View Quote
Better get that checkbook out.

There is a long and brightly colored history of audio accessory to toy 152 mismatches. Early units solved the problem by a powered amplifier. New units have a setting in the firmware that I suspect is a switchable pad or attenuator.

Your audio stuff probably needs to be NATO wired and impedance to work the best. If they are civilian spec, I'd check the position of that software switch in the radio programming. Failing that, I'd check my connection. Rub the little gold dots on both connector pieces with a pencil eraser, use some silicone grease and then reconnect. See if that improves your output. If that doesn't work, figure out which pins go to the earphones, and test them with something that has a speaker output.

If your radio is an older version, it may have had the internal amp modification done to it, and that may have failed. Test the radio with another milspec audio accessory (I don't know what VAC should be present at the terminals).

If it is properly set up, it should be plenty loud in your headset.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:33:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By brodband8:
Both my TRI's kill real harris batteries when left connected even turned off.
View Quote

That's a common issue. There is a parasitic draw in there. Also, I vaguely remember there was some kind of mechanical mating issue between battery and radio too
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 2:38:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AJ-0311] [#35]
Even a real 152 will drain a battery when turned off.

When I use an H-250 my audio report is weak, somewhat muted, but using a Harris mic I get excellent loud and clear reports, haven't tried my Sordin headset yet

ETA: I get the same reports when using the radio's internal mic and the H-250, but with the Harris mic it's much louder/clearer on the receiving end
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:09:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Ok, so I have these things delivered today.  No question that they’re stout.  

Who knows how to program the channels? It’s not intuitive and all the videos online are for the older models, I assume, because they have me pushing buttons that don’t do the same function as the radio in hand.

I’m happy to struggle through this.... WITH somebody..
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:35:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By tapered-pin:
Ok, so I have these things delivered today.  No question that they’re stout.  

Who knows how to program the channels? It’s not intuitive and all the videos online are for the older models, I assume, because they have me pushing buttons that don’t do the same function as the radio in hand.

I’m happy to struggle through this.... WITH somebody..
View Quote

Use Enter-1 to cycle between VFO, Memory-Freq, and Memory-Name.

In VFO mode you can enter the RX frequency. Then use Enter-Enter to go into the menu. Use the < and > keys to cycle through menu names, Enter to select them and use the keys to adjust the values. One of the menus is Memory Write (I want to say 26?). You'll need to keep track of what memory locations you're using.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#38]

Use Enter-1 to cycle between VFO, Memory-Freq, and Memory-Name.

In VFO mode you can enter the RX frequency. Then use Enter-Enter to go into the menu. Use the < and > keys to cycle through menu names, Enter to select them and use the keys to adjust the values. One of the menus is Memory Write (I want to say 26?). You'll need to keep track of what memory locations you're using.
View Quote

thank you, that's great. I'm only looking to program about 10 channels to cycle through.

I do have to say that the quality of the keypad/LCD/housing of these is everything that you could want in a radio that could see bangs and scrapes (or worse).
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#39]

thank you, that's great. I'm only looking to program about 10 channels to cycle through.

I do have to say that the quality of the keypad/LCD/housing of these is everything that you could want in a radio that could see bangs and scrapes (or worse).
View Quote

@tapered-pin

Your set of 10 high-res pics showing all sides and angles aren’t showing up.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 6:04:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tapered-pin] [#40]
Originally Posted By Conspiro-Agnew:

As above, Outlander has some. As well, the site I was referencing has the real Harris batteries (to which you'll need a real charger for) @ 4 for $99 plus shipping:

American-Milspec
View Quote

Here are the batteries from American mil spec vs the “real Harris batteries” from the Chinese company I bought the radios fromAttachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

So... which one is the REAL Harris battery?
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Here are the batteries from American mil spec vs the “real Harris batteries” from the Chinese company I bought the radios fromhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/17268/C5BD4551-4F35-469F-8407-E784662AAA60_jpe-1448454.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/17268/04D85D7E-3D10-4B22-B160-C0F586897833_jpe-1448456.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/17268/740823DD-4BCB-44D9-9D50-DF67D9D7172D_jpe-1448457.JPG

So... which one is the REAL Harris battery?
View Quote

The ones on the left are real Harris batteries, not sure of the ones on the right.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#42]
I would have bet the other way. On the ones I got from American Milspec have different screw heads on every battery.. two are slotted, one is phillips, and one is torx.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#43]
I would have bet the other way. On the ones I got from American Milspec have different screw heads on every battery.. two are slotted, one is phillips, and one is torx.
View Quote

Issued Harris 152 batteries were the same way, and that includes the AA and 123 battery packs. Some slotted, some phillips, etc.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 5:41:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Okay, I've read enough and want one.

Is this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LIMITED-EDITION-ALUMINUM-SHELL10W-TRI-AN-PRC-152-MBITR-RADIO-REAL152-BATTERY/264391481611?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3d8ef5d90b:g:CpcAAOSw86BcC~IV

still considered the best place to buy? What would be the best PTT to connect it to my Comtac IIIs?

And are there any proven antenna options or is the stock one good 'nuff?
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 12:11:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tapered-pin] [#45]
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:

Is this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LIMITED-EDITION-ALUMINUM-SHELL10W-TRI-AN-PRC-152-MBITR-RADIO-REAL152-BATTERY/264391481611?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3d8ef5d90b:g:CpcAAOSw86BcC~IV

still considered the best place to buy? What would be the best PTT to connect it to my Comtac IIIs?

View All Quotes

Is this:

That’s the one I got. That one comes with the “Suspect” real Harris batteriy.  If I were going to do it all over again, I probably would have purchased THIS ONE. Mainly because I was planning on getting the AmericanMilSpec batteries, anyway, so it would have been nice to have an 18650 shell Battery pack As well (That comes with the unit).
This listing also comes with a pelican type hard aces as well.  The listing you showed comes in a cardboard box with foam insert.

And, it’s cheaper.  If I had gone that route with my 2 unit purchase, the money saved would have purchased the 4 battery set.

The stock antenna is fine.  I added a 18” antenna relocation cable so I can mount to the back of a plate carrier..

The radio utilizes a TNC female antenna connector.

Originally Posted By PFran42:
Your set of 10 high-res pics showing all sides and angles aren’t showing up.

No real need, the quality is as it appears on all the links in the thread.  
I was referring to the keypad feel and the lcd resolution.. both certainly feel like quality

Link Posted: 6/7/2020 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#46]

That’s the one I got. That one comes with the “Suspect” real Harris batteriy.  If I were going to do it all over again, I probably would have purchased THIS ONE. Mainly because I was planning on getting the AmericanMilSpec batteries, anyway, so it would have been nice to have an 18650 shell Battery pack As well (That comes with the unit).
This listing also comes with a pelican type hard aces as well.  The listing you showed comes in a cardboard box with foam insert.

And, it’s cheaper.  If I had gone that route with my 2 unit purchase, the money saved would have purchased the 4 battery set.

The stock antenna is fine.  I added a 18” antenna relocation cable so I can mount to the back of a plate carrier..

View All Quotes

Is this:

Thanks, I ordered the one you linked
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 10:14:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tapered-pin] [#47]
One thing I’ve noticed, when I set the volume on both of them to the same setting (1), one of the units is significantly louder than the other.. not that the lesser is quiet..

And I assume the “scan”, “FP”, And “z-all” on the top knob is just copied over from the Harris and doesn’t actually function...
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 7:47:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tapered-pin] [#48]
Somebody was looking for the pinout of the side connector for the TCI PRC-152?

Attachment Attached File

Apparently, the bottom pins are inactive.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 11:17:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Does anyone know if the real deal Harris batteries can be charged with the OEM TRI charger? Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 3:17:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Apec:
Does anyone know if the real deal Harris batteries can be charged with the OEM TRI charger? Thanks.
View Quote

No, they cannot. You will have to get a Harris/Thales charger, or if you want the type that connects to the top of the battery (similar to the TRI), you can get a Bren-Tronics charger.
Page / 25
TRI AN/PRC-152 (Page 12 of 25)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top