Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:52:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 5:21:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Two or three years ago we had a hard freeze on Mother's Day Weekend.  I'm in Southern KY.  Only 40 minutes north of Nashville, TN.

It is the first time *I* can remember having a hard freeze that late.

But my mom and grandmother talked about late spring hard freezes.  They worried about the trees. They had seen trees killed by freezes as late as middle of May.  My grandmother was born in 1908.  My mom born in 1927.

So it is very interesting to see the cycles.  Three generations (I was born VERY late in life.  My mom was 37 when I was born in October 1964.  She was on birth control in February so I figure I was meant to be here.)

Anyway..All those generations and hearing them talk about what they saw, taught me to not trust "spring".

So a lot of folks lost their gardens when that Mother's Day freeze occurred.  

I had just a few things to cover.  I generally start a little late because of my upbringing.  

HOWEVER...I would have thought that where you live, you would normally see frosts in mid-May.

I am surprised.

View Quote

I've seen 1 freeze after mother's day.

My grandfather won't plant any tender crops until after Memorial Day- he remembers it snowing in June a few times. He was born 1926 so it may have been awhile

After 3 seasons where the garden was pretty much a failure, I've made a discovery. At the farm, the growing season is right in line with the rest of the county. At the house, the season is short and late. I can grow some summer crops into October

Same county, but I'm only half joking when I say I live in Death Valley. We mow the yard half as much as the rest of the county, and always see warmer temps and more humidity. One would think this would help the garden, but no such luck. The lack of soil in general (all rock) and constant blistering heat just means everything withers and dies
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ZW17:
Well, it went from a frost to a freeze warning.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36030/IMG_0303-2820363.jpg
View Quote
@ZW17
Just a head's up.
You can use bed sheets or plastic sheeting to cover the plants also to protect from frost.
It would suck to lose all those plants that aren't covered!
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Glad to hear it!
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:07:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:11:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I think next year I will try a new tactic in my "garden". I don't have a real garden now, just a few raised beds and a few things in buckets. Next year I am going to plant bermuda and johnson grass. If it works, I should have more carrots, lettuce, and tomatoes than I know what to do with.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#15]

You have a perfect example of a microclimate.  

They occur even within yards.  I have one in the back of my house, about 50 feet back in the yard.  The lawn drops only 2 or three feet across that 50 feet, but it's enough that the wind, howling all over the property, goes right over that part of the yard.  It's warmer there.  Gentler.  I could lay a tarp out there and it might blow around a little, but it won't be gone across the neighbor's fence.

In the front yard?  The trees lean toward the east all the time cuz...they grew that way from the wind.

Yours is extreme and bigger.  Would be really interesting to figure out why.  (Other than the rock).  The rock can make it warmer, but why is the season shorter and late?

This stuff is fascinating.
View Quote

Well, the actual land elevation is no different than much of the surrounding area, but there's about 20 acres (we own 6) that has a ridge around 3 sides. The 4th side is open but there's another ridgeline just past the road in that effectively walls it off. We still get all the wind, but I can watch the storms roll in from the southeast and just... turn and miss us. Same if the closest town gets slammed by a storm- I can watch it move from west to east and see the rain maybe 1/2 mile away but we never get a drop.

We still get rain, just not when everyone else does. Also if everything isn't baking to death it drowns- when it rains the humidity stays above 70% and it feels like a jungle. Then it dries up and goes back to being Death Valley

It always gets colder in the winter too. We had 0° and -30° wind chill right after Christmas while the farm only had 10° and -10° wind chill

Also nearly had a tornado once, the clouds got that eerie green color and you could feel the wind changing directions and blowing in a circle

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:17:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 8:32:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#18]
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:18:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I think one of my poor chickens died of heat stroke this afternoon.  Alive this morning, apparently laid an egg (7 chickens, 7 eggs).

6 hens on the roost and one dead on the ground in the coop when I went to shut them up for the night.

Air temp high has been over 100 the past week.  But they have plenty of water and food.  

No signs of critter attack.   Just laying there dead.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
I think one of my poor chickens died of heat stroke this afternoon.  Alive this morning, apparently laid an egg (7 chickens, 7 eggs).

6 hens on the roost and one dead on the ground in the coop when I went to shut them up for the night.

Air temp high has been over 100 the past week.  But they have plenty of water and food.  

View Quote
Sorry to hear about your chicken!
You kind of get attached to them from what I've noticed.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 7:59:10 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

My brother and his wife had that problem one time. Chickens just started falling over dead, but this was the middle of the day. We ran some extensions cords and fans and got the chickens in the shade and it took care of the problem. If you can get a fan out to where the chickens are it may save some of them.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 8:50:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:27:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1Andy2] [#24]
Originally Posted By SixpackinOk:

My brother and his wife had that problem one time. Chickens just started falling over dead, but this was the middle of the day. We ran some extensions cords and fans and got the chickens in the shade and it took care of the problem. If you can get a fan out to where the chickens are it may save some of them.
View Quote

Yeah, I just set up a box fan to help circulate the air in the coop.   Only 1 egg today for 6 chickens.   Not eating much feed, either.    I think the heat is definitely getting to them.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Put an exhaust fan in one of our coops. I got it from a buddy. I think it is 12 in. thermostat controlled. Set it to come on at 85 degrees. Works good and chickens seem happy.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I apologize for being AWOL the past three weeks.

I spilled wine on my computer.

Got it back, but have to reload everything and start fresh.
View Quote

That will be 3 lashes with a wet noodle for wasting good wine...that stinks having to start all over on your computer.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 7:32:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#28]
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#29]
That sucks!
Glad you're back.
So the other day I thought my chickens were only laying one egg a day between the three of them.
Reached down below the nesting boxes and found 9 eggs haha!
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:03:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:37:23 PM EDT
[#33]
The bad stuff has missed my area for the most part. We have had some bad winds, but everything has been ok. I did have a big tree topped off by my house a few weeks ago, I'm sure glad I finally did it, because the winds may have got part of it this the last big storm.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:49:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Super dry up in WI.
Fireworks tonight and on the 4th might be starting some fires...
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:13:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:
Super dry up in WI.
Fireworks tonight and on the 4th might be starting some fires...
View Quote

Hopefully people will be smart enough about using fireworks to not start any fires. Hey, a guy can dream...the fireworks akways worry me during a drought, thankfully I think we should be ok here. Stay safe!
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Salem Illinois area
Storms from about 6-8pm
No loss of power
Small branches down here and there….nothing major
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Hasn't rained here in like 3 months
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#42]

That's bad.

Will pray y'all get some.

View Quote

Thank you.   I hope ya'll are doing ok with storms. I'm thankful I'm a bit too far south for real tornado worries and just a hair too far inland for much hurricane risk.

As you can see...  mowing has been simplified.

Attachment Attached File

Still need to get the permanent irrigation in.   Was going to just dig by hand but I hurt my back the other day and decided I'm getting too old to be a cheapskate.   Going to rent a trencher.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:48:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:06:03 PM EDT
[#44]

Oh, trenching irrigation by hand is HORRIBLE.  A trencher will make you much happier.  So sorry you hurt you back.

More sorry that you are in drought.  As many storms as have come through Tejas the past month, I'm surprised you haven't had rain.  

We went through a VERY dry May and June, and just this past week started getting decent rains again. We are grateful.

View Quote

Yep, its been hard on the farmers.  Drove past alot of what looks like total loss corn and cotton crops this summer.  

I'm glad ya'll are doing better.  Kentucky doesn't seem like its known for prolonged droughts.  

I think most of those storms Texas got were further north.   Hard to describe but Texas has kinda 4 or 5 distinct geography/climate zones.  I'm on the coastal plain in the border zone between South Texas and East Texas.  We get about 29 inches average rainfall here... but an hour north east of here, they get average 41 inches per year!  Another 1.5 hours further NE and you're in Houston dodging hurricanes dropping 80 inches in a couple of days (Harvey literally dropped that much directly on Houston in 48 hours).
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#45]

Thank you.   I hope ya'll are doing ok with storms. I'm thankful I'm a bit too far south for real tornado worries and just a hair too far inland for much hurricane risk.

As you can see...  mowing has been simplified.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55344/20230702_194037_jpg-2871803.JPG

Still need to get the permanent irrigation in.   Was going to just dig by hand but I hurt my back the other day and decided I'm getting too old to be a cheapskate.   Going to rent a trencher.
View Quote

That's not getting too old, that's just getting smarter.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 3:04:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 1:40:11 AM EDT
[#47]
I suspect a big part of the problem is that when it hasn't rained for 3 months or more, the ground around and under what you're trying to irrigate is so dry that it sucks up alot of the moisture you put in.

I'm running my fruit tree lines longer and longer to  (hopefully) compensate.    We've got some cracks around the yard you could drop your keys into and lose them.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Whatever you're saying, keep it up Kitties.  Got some sprinkles last night and this morning.  Not huge but helpful.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Finally getting some rain in SWLA.  Been super dry up until this week.  I haven't watered my veggies since Monday.  

Zucchini plants are putting on tons of foliage but little to no veggies.  Tomatoes aren't doing much either, I think I have 5 between 3 plants.  Need to hit everything with Miracle Grow again I guess.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top