Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2019 10:31:49 PM EDT
I need advice from you seasoned duck hunters.

My son has been hunting ducks a LOT lately. This is his first year of duck hunting and he's on fire for it. He's been using a fairly newish (15 years old, my newest shotgun for sure) Remington 870 with wood stock.  This gun had never seen any wet weather use until now.

Today he told me the action was pretty rough after cleaning it. I checked it out and it appears the wooden forend may be binding against the barrel when fully cocked, making it difficult to push forward and close the action. The wood doesn't LOOK any different, but I suspect hunting in the rain caused the wood to swell. The action operates just fine without the barrel installed. It's just friction between the wood and barrel when fully open.

He's not hunting tomorrow so we're just letting the wood dry for now and will reassemble in the morning. I'm considering sanding the wooden channel in the forend to allow a bit more clearance, following up with something to seal the freshly sanded wood.  Is this the appropriate fix?  Is there any other reason you guys can think for an 870 to start binding like this?
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Check the big nut on the end of the slide that holds the forehand grip on. I had one loosen an me with the same result.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dIIshoots:
Check the big nut on the end of the slide that holds the forehand grip on. I had one loosen an me with the same result.
View Quote
Thanks for the suggestion. The nut is tight, the wood looks like it's being held captive correctly by the nut.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 7:32:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Is it an express or wingmaster?
Is the forearm leaving polish marks on the front of the reciver?
It's been awhile for me dealing with 870s, but if there is no polish marks it might be debris in the back of the reviver.
Drop the trigger group, and pull the bolt.
My mossbergs get sluggish when this happens, funny how much duck weed and catail chaff can get inside.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chukar:
Is it an express or wingmaster?
Is the forearm leaving polish marks on the front of the reciver?
It's been awhile for me dealing with 870s, but if there is no polish marks it might be debris in the back of the reviver.
Drop the trigger group, and pull the bolt.
My mossbergs get sluggish when this happens, funny how much duck weed and catail chaff can get inside.
View Quote
Express. No marks on the receiver, but I'm pretty sure I'm seeing marks on the underside of the barrel. Nothing permanent as this is a new problem, but I think I see 2 lines dragged onto the taper of the barrel where the wood touches.

I taught him how to disassemble and clean the shotgun, the thing is clean! I'm sure there's no debris I'm there.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm sure you kmow about the crap wood and finish they use on the express, so I hope that is all that`s wrong with it.
My buddy had one that was shot with 3" loads all the time, with the same symptoms.
Turn out the reciver stretched, making it a parts gun.
Another sign of stretching is the fired hulls will look twisted or chewed up at the crimp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top