Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2022 5:49:15 PM EDT
Just got this in from https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/swiss-military-surplus-hand-hatchet-new?a=792367

Initial Impressions: solid, and straight-grained fairly long wooden handle, which will need some light sanding to smooth-out initial surface   "Blade protector" is a one-time "dipped" plastic cover.  Not re-useable.   Wooden handle is bare of any sort of finish, and suspect it will take any stain and also some pure linseed oil like a sponge; probably a number of applications in order for the linseed oil to fully "soak-in".

Considering drilling a chamfered hole at the end of the handle, but not certain of that.

As with all axes, the profile of the edge is paramount, but this example does not seem to require a great deal of re-profiling.  YMMV.

A very decent item, considering its relatively low price.  You WILL need to make a Kydex blade cover for this unit, but that is simple and inexpensive.

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Could I trouble you for some dimensions of the head?

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#2]
LMK what dimensons you need; my instruments are of SAE/Imperial units.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Just overall length, and width please.

It's a bit backwards, but I have a sheath with sentimental value that I've been looking for a hatchet for.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 10:33:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Either the Swiss had 40million of these or they are just copies being reproduced as they have been on the surplus market at nearly every or at least many retailers for many years at about the same price point. This has kept me suspect but glad you found a keeper... Reminds me of the swiss wool blanket copies .
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:03:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had one for several years. Mine is a good tool. I keep it in a bucket of tools in my sxs. I should put a cover on it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:07:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's a bit backwards, but I have a sheath with sentimental value that I've been looking for a hatchet for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thickness of head at widest point (where wooden shaft inserts into the head) is:1 inch

Widest part of blade edge is 3-3/8"

Distance from blade edge to rear edge of hammer poll is: 5-3/4"

@ubelongoutside
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 8:33:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Either the Swiss had 40million of these or they are just copies being reproduced as they have been on the surplus market at nearly every or at least many retailers for many years at about the same price point. This has kept me suspect but glad you found a keeper... Reminds me of the swiss wool blanket copies .
View Quote

It's a chicom repro for sure.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:29:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thickness of head at widest point (where wooden shaft inserts into the head) is:1 inch

@ubelongoutside
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@ubelongoutside

Thank you!
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine had a very blunt edge profile. If you measure the thickness of the bit 1/4" back from the edge you'll find its quite thick compared to a properly profiled axe.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, but but. It says it’s made in Switzerland
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top