Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2021 12:59:16 AM EDT
Recently I ventured down this rabbit hole.
I got a memberships to club lake in town. Lived here for years and never went. My dad bought a membership and i got tired of paying as a guest.  We spent the winter and fall trout fishing.  When it got warm and they stopped stocking trout, we sat around with stinky bait catching catfish.

I noticed some guys fishing for bass with some huge lures. I headed over the the tackle shop to check things out. I was blown away at the price of a megabass islide and thought a s waver was pricy.  I went on ebay and found me a cheap glide bait.  

I needed a pole and found a dobyns fury 806 on offered up for $75.  I had a gift card to turners and grabbed a daiwa lexa wn 300 on sale.

Ready to go! My friends saw my set up and laughed.  What you going to catch with that! Well I caught a couple right then! I caught a pb 5.7 some time later.  I was fishing it one afternoon and what I can only describe as a torpedo followed it in.  About 15 minutes later something big hit it.  Several cranks in and my lure popped straight up out the water.  Both front and back hooks had one barb bent straight.  

Back to the tackle shop.  Seems my ebay lire had some cheap trebles.  

Football season starts and i really have no time to fish.  So i read and watch fishing when i cant look at any more football film.

So I want some nicer swimbaits.  I dont mind paying for something nice.  I really like the idea of American guys making their own baits in their garages.  These guys do their own r&d,  advertising, painting. Its turned into another expensive hobby to say the least.  

Trying to get a bait on a drop is insane.  A bait get hyped up and the price goes through the roof.  I got few im looking forward to fish soon.

I have some that look really great.
Toxic baits
Bass brain co
Ms slammer
86 baits
Lit lures
Reckless rodents
Trap bass baits
Bull shad
Ufo

Seems like the internet is going crazy for Pizz, hinkle and lanciotti lures.

So anyone else into swimbaits?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Ed51:
Recently I ventured down this rabbit hole.
I got a memberships to club lake in town. Lived here for years and never went. My dad bought a membership and i got tired of paying as a guest.  We spent the winter and fall trout fishing.  When it got warm and they stopped stocking trout, we sat around with stinky bait catching catfish.

I noticed some guys fishing for bass with some huge lures. I headed over the the tackle shop to check things out. I was blown away at the price of a megabass islide and thought a s waver was pricy.  I went on ebay and found me a cheap glide bait.  

I needed a pole and found a dobyns fury 806 on offered up for $75.  I had a gift card to turners and grabbed a daiwa lexa wn 300 on sale.

Ready to go! My friends saw my set up and laughed.  What you going to catch with that! Well I caught a couple right then! I caught a pb 5.7 some time later.  I was fishing it one afternoon and what I can only describe as a torpedo followed it in.  About 15 minutes later something big hit it.  Several cranks in and my lure popped straight up out the water.  Both front and back hooks had one barb bent straight.  

Back to the tackle shop.  Seems my ebay lire had some cheap trebles.  

Football season starts and i really have no time to fish.  So i read and watch fishing when i cant look at any more football film.

So I want some nicer swimbaits.  I dont mind paying for something nice.  I really like the idea of American guys making their own baits in their garages.  These guys do their own r&d,  advertising, painting. Its turned into another expensive hobby to say the least.  

Trying to get a bait on a drop is insane.  A bait get hyped up and the price goes through the roof.  I got few im looking forward to fish soon.

I have some that look really great.
Toxic baits
Bass brain co
Ms slammer
86 baits
Lit lures
Reckless rodents
Trap bass baits
Bull shad
Ufo

Seems like the internet is going crazy for Pizz, hinkle and lanciotti lures.

So anyone else into swimbaits?
View Quote

I am getting there!
Bought an S-waver. Pulled it out on buddies bass boat last year. A lot weeds and clear water so I start throwing it near a pier.
    Buddy watches then says “what are catching with that thing besides WEEDS?”
     Just then a fish slammed it! And I replied no weeds just monsters! Reeled it in and it was my best for the year. Just barely 4lb large mouth!  I’m kind of new to fishing so it was a big deal to catch the 4lb er.  Buddy said shit I guess I was wrong let me see that bait.
   He ended up buying two of them later on lol.
   I just started looking at nicer and nicer ones…
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 2:09:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dan_Conway] [#2]
Attachment Attached File

Not as big as some of the other swimbaits you mentioned, but a Mattlures Hardgill swimbait that is 5.75" long.

Swimbaits are some of my favorite lures to throw for big bass.

If you haven't already, check out swimbaitunderground for the ar15.com of the swimbait world.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Ah yes swimbaitunderground, the GD of the swimbait world.   The website has some good info.  The fb page is fun to follow.  There is some good swimbait content on IG.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I only through big swim baits during a couple of times in the year around here...

I don't have any hard baits, though I've always wanted to give the triton mike bucca stuff a whirl.

Working Class Zero Citizens and custom rigged Megabass Magdrafts.

swim baiting full time is a whole lifestyle choice im not sure im prepared for.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#5]
those prices though; I was thinking how bad could it be?  $20?  $30?  Nope, think again lol
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By llanero:
those prices though; I was thinking how bad could it be?  $20?  $30?  Nope, think again lol
View Quote

The guy who runs working class zero, mike gilbert said probably the most important thing I've never thought of but can completely agree with.

You've already lost that bait. Consider it gone. Hung up on a rock or stump or broke off on maybe the biggest fish you would have ever laid hands on. It's gone and it's not coming back.

Once you've accepted that, you can put it where the fish are.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top