11/2/2022 4:30:06 PM
Posted: 9/23/2022 12:41:52 AM EST
brownells
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:42:43 AM EST
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:10:26 AM EST
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#2]
Wait till you discover duct tape. Go get a small roll of duct tape
Gorilla tape tear off small pieces about a quarter inch square and mix that with the  Natural Jute Twine  picked apart to catch sparks from a ferry rod. Or just shred small fibers off the tape . The tape burns a long time.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 6:55:54 AM EST
[#3]
I carry 550 cord anyway so why not have a little more insurance? If I run across some I may pick it up. I do carry some cotton balls in petroleum jelly. In my test one cotton ball will burn five minutes. A small pill bottle will hold a bunch of cotton balls.

I am not as super concerned with fire as many because realistically the odds of me needing or probably wanting it in a SHTF/get home scenario are slim and there is so, so much tinder in the form of trash along our roads, in our fields, and in abandoned buildings I cant imagine having an issue. Regardless I am prepared. If I were an Alaskan bush pilot it would have a different level of concern for me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:05:14 AM EST
[#4]
I bought some of the SOS brand. Reflective too which is nice. Tried the tinder side of things and it took a spark well and burned nicely.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:48:38 AM EST
[#5]
I've always had good luck with this.

https://www.titansurvival.com/collections/survivorcord
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:08:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: parrisisland1978] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By texmarine0331:
I've always had good luck with this.

https://www.titansurvival.com/collections/survivorcord
View Quote

+1 on Survivor Cord.

Expensive, but I'm worth it.

Edited to add: I only use the SurvivorCord as the stuff to carry if needed for unanticipated things.
All my already made and reusable loops and lines are their regular cord without the fishing, fire, and copper lines in it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:56:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: inop] [#7]
Atwood rope has a made in USA version
Parapocalypse is it's name
Also they offer many other made in USA cordage

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:33:40 PM EST
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:15:56 AM EST
[#9]
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:

Rarara USA vet owned, made in China
View Quote

You’re right. I never looked deep enough past their statement that “TITAN Survival is a small, family-owned business located in the heart of California's Central Valley, and our products are trusted and used by military personnel and outdoor enthusiasts all around the world.”
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:26:11 PM EST
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:27:41 PM EST
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:46:39 PM EST
[#12]
Birch bark is free and works good.

Always some in the boat from logging.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:10:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: inop] [#13]

My only complaint is 10 pound fishing line is kind of lite, but winner winner right here!
View Quote
Maybe if enough of us request it they might upgrade it.
It's still what I have in my kits.

Edit I've just posted a question on the product webpage asking for an upgrade to 20-25lb in a future version.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:02:43 AM EST
[#14]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:

View Quote

I wish birch was more common in Pennsylvania. Even in the northern part of the state it's not real common, at least where I go.

But you're right, it makes AWESOME tinder.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:59:54 AM EST
[#15]
The best fire starting kit in the world is good (read: DOAN MFG.), not Chinese, magnesium bar with ferro rod and striker, and duct tape.

Pull off a patch of duct tape, lay it sticky side up, shave the magnesium onto the sticky side to keep the shavings from blowing away, strike  the ferro rod…. Instant fire that keeps burning.

Everything about this is waterproof too, which is a bonus.

If you can’t get past burning tape and want to find tinder to light, get a pencil sharpener…. I don’t care how wet it is outside, you can find twigs to “sharpen” and make all the dry tinder you need.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:49:02 PM EST
[#16]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:
The best fire starting kit in the world is good (read: DOAN MFG.), not Chinese, magnesium bar with ferro rod and striker, and duct tape.

Pull off a patch of duct tape, lay it sticky side up, shave the magnesium onto the sticky side to keep the shavings from blowing away, strike  the ferro rod . Instant fire that keeps burning.

Everything about this is waterproof too, which is a bonus.

If you can't get past burning tape and want to find tinder to light, get a pencil sharpener . I don't care how wet it is outside, you can find twigs to "sharpen" and make all the dry tinder you need.
View Quote
Out of stock and production, owner died.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:08:29 PM EST
[#17]
Originally Posted By Dave_Markowitz:

I wish birch was more common in Pennsylvania. Even in the northern part of the state it's not real common, at least where I go.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I almost had a chimney fire from birch bark.

Temp was showing 800f in just a minute.

I do carry other tinder also.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:43:37 PM EST
[#18]

My only complaint is 10 pound fishing line is kind of lite, but winner winner right here!
View Quote

Survival fishing ain't tournament fishing.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:10:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: dodgecoltracer] [#19]
I haven't bought this particular cord, but I have bought a lot of other types and all are quality.

https://atwoodrope.com/products/parapocalypse

"This rope is designed with every scenario in mind. Not only do you get all the benefits of paracord, you also get high-end practical survival tools. With a waxed-jute strand, you can easily start fires with little effort. Use the 10lb fishing line to catch your dinner. Use the 900F heat-resistant cord for campfire rotisserie cooking, friction saws, or suspending a hot broken muffler. Lastly, you have the almighty Dyna X cord with super strength, ultra low-stretch and perfect for emergency sutures, dental floss or animal snares"

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:59:23 PM EST
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:31:38 AM EST
[#21]

Survival fishing, to me, is setting multiple lines and securing them to do their thing while I do other stuff. I'm not going to sit there all day so I can play a large fish in.
View Quote

Why I keep a few yoyo reals in my kits
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:18:01 PM EST
[#22]
Originally Posted By trails-end:

View All Quotes

I carry #50 minimum fishing line.

I have used it to tie and stitch a few things together.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 4:06:30 PM EST
[#23]

View All Quotes

You have red cedar. The bark is fairly waterproof so you don't have to strip down too far to get dry stuff.

It doesn't catch like birch (which burns like it's soaked in gasoline) but it's dam good. Will readily catch from glowing charcloth.
River birch and willow are good too, in our area.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 4:12:26 PM EST
[#24]

Survival fishing, to me, is setting multiple lines and securing them to do their thing while I do other stuff. I'm not going to sit there all day so I can play a large fish in.
View All Quotes

I am FAR from a real fisherman. But the pan fish around here are what you're likely to lay in to and they spook easy on thick line. 10# or smaller mono is what works.

This subject is highly location dependent. Eg, the AK dude. What works for us would fail for him.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 12:05:02 AM EST
[#25]
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:

I am FAR from a real fisherman. But the pan fish around here are what you're likely to lay in to and they spook easy on thick line. 10# or smaller mono is what works.

This subject is highly location dependent. Eg, the AK dude. What works for us would fail for him.
View Quote
Have had no problems with small spooky fish with 50# line.

Mainly use spectra line so it is thin.

50# and higher can be used as a snare or fix gear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top