Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2020 3:40:43 PM EDT
I Upgraded My Daddy's Old Surefire 6P - Malkoff M61 LED Conversion

Saw this video about 10 days ago.
I have a few older SureFires. One had a
burned out buld.
So I ordered three.(Should of been four.)
The stander 6V-P60 buld is sixty five lumens.
This if I remeber right has 450 lumens!!!
MALKOFF is the manufacturer.
It also made in the USA!
Just a heads up for anyone with an older Surefire, that they really like!

PITA45
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks! I have some that need upgrading as well.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:20:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one in a 660 for a retro ish build, good kit and a decent thrower for what it is. One day it probably make its way to a black hawk down gun

For weapon use I would skip the cheap 15 bucks Chinese drop ins as the malkoffs are fully potted as well as having a full brass heatsink, although for just a knock around light the cheaper alternatives would probably be fine, although I would take their very high lumen ratings with some salt.

There are a huge range of drop ins for 6ps with some custom builders out there making what ever you want if are willing to pay/wait

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:30:01 PM EDT
[#3]
3cell M961 goodness
w/Malkoff upgrade.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Malkoff has been around for some time.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Malkoff may of been around. But the first I have heard of it.
Being made in the USA is a plus, at lease for me.
I'm so far, quit pleased with this upgrade!
Let you know in a year or so!

PITA45
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Wait until you see the USB chargeable CR123 size batteries.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:51:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Malkoff is good kit.  Have some.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 4 6p's. Two of them have Malkoff 361Ns and the other two have Malkoff 61Ns. I'm quite satisfied with the upgraded LED modules. I've found the 361 bulb to be a great everyday task light. I also upgraded the tail switch to McClkicky switches and run 16650 rechargeable batteries in them.

There are brighter and more capable lights for the money but I like the fact that I have spare parts and can replace any part of the light that I might need too should one of them go down.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wait until you see the USB chargeable CR123 size batteries.
View Quote
oh you
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Definitely going to upgrade my 6P if I can find it .

I would love to get an LED conversion for my 3 cell Pentagon light.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Op is discovering something that some of us have known for a while.

Good for him!  Shows an inquiring mind; Always a good thing.

May I suggest we assist him, instead of berating him for being late to the party?

OP, I have upgraded many Surefire lights with LEDs.  All to good advantage.  I have also upgraded some older lights, such as 2- and 3-cell GI flashlights with drop-in LEDs.  This latter was probably not the most efficient use of my money, but I didn't want to throw them out.  They still serve me well, alongside better lights.  YMMV.

OP, keep on investigating things, and making things better.  Good for you!
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Op is discovering something that some of us have known for a while.

Good for him!  Shows an inquiring mind; Always a good thing.

May I suggest we assist him, instead of berating him for being late to the party?

OP, I have upgraded many Surefire lights with LEDs.  All to good advantage.  I have also upgraded some older lights, such as 2- and 3-cell GI flashlights with drop-in LEDs.  This latter was probably not the most efficient use of my money, but I didn't want to throw them out.  They still serve me well, alongside better lights.  YMMV.

OP, keep on investigating things, and making things better.  Good for you!

View Quote

any links to the replacements you used?  I have two from prior to 2010 and they still work great and never felt the need to replace but maybe I will
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

any links to the replacements you used?  I have two from prior to 2010 and they still work great and never felt the need to replace but maybe I will
View Quote

It's been so long since I replaced the OEM Surefire bulbs with LEDS that I can't recall the specific sources.  Good news is that the newer LEDS are probably better than the ones I bought long ago.  Just make sure to tailor the voltage of the replacement elements to the voltage of the batts in your flashlight.

I'm sure that many people here will have recommendations as to bulb replacement modules.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2020 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Do the Malkoffs significantly change the run time using standard 123s?
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Define “significantly?”

While I don’t think that Malkoffs are worth the scratch, they are among the top circuits for efficiency. Zebralights are another.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would be a question for Malkoff to answer.

It has been my experience that there are a multitude of LED modules available.  I suggest one looks into both module brightness/longevity, and also look into the desired light color emitted by the module.

Generally, the brighter the bulb/LED, the shorter the battery life.

All these things are ultimately trade-offs. so do your homework in order to answer the "trade-off' questions best for your particular application.

Link Posted: 3/26/2020 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

The original 6P puts out 60 lumens for approximately 60 min.

I upgraded one of my 6P’s to a Malkoff M61L that puts out 230 lumens for 5 hours before starting to taper off.  

With the current crop of 1000+ lumen lights that may not sound like much but it’s a very useful level of light for me, so it works.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#19]
great thread and thanks everyone

what links for current replacements is on tap?  I'll order 2 to replace 2 I have

thanks
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 12:26:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I upgraded one of my 6P’s to a Malkoff M61L that puts out 230 lumens for 5 hours before starting to taper off.  

With the current crop of 1000+ lumen lights that may not sound like much but it’s a very useful level of light for me, so it works.
View Quote

The p60 bulb put out 60 lumens for 60 minutes.
The p61 bulb put out 120 lumens for 15 to 20 minutes.
Both could be found in old school 6p's
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#21]
If you are unsure about which part to buy, you can email Gene Malkoff with a picture of your light and he will make some suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:13:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Concur. Gene is responsive to inquiring emails...and surprisingly patient/tolerant of dumdums like me!
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I upgraded one of my 6P's to a Malkoff M61L that puts out 230 lumens for 5 hours before starting to taper off.  

With the current crop of 1000+ lumen lights that may not sound like much but it's a very useful level of light for me, so it works.
View Quote

Malkoff's very useful M61LL is cited as 10+ hours at an also very useful 100 lumens, from just 6 volts (2 CR123's) ... If you have a Surefire 9P or add a battery extension on to a 6P or similar sized body, plan on that run time figure going up another 5 hours.

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#24]
@GunnyG

What color filter is that? Red?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#25]
LOL, that's not an old Surefire.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#26]
@creature,

Yup! An FM65 red filter, although I also have some FM66 (Blue) covers, a FM64 (white diffuser), and a FM67 opaque cover. The only filter in that series that isn't as useful as intended is the IR FM63, because the LED doesn't produce any IR light.

Those filters fit on a 1.47" diameter bezel, and will also fit the Malkoff MDM4 SureFire Millennium Adapter bezel you have on your M961 series light.

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
@creature,

Yup! An FM65 red filter, although I also have some FM66 (Blue) covers, a FM64 (white diffuser), and a FM67 opaque cover. The only filter in that series that isn't as useful as intended is the IR FM63, because the LED doesn't produce any IR light.

Those filters fit on a 1.47" diameter bezel, and will also fit the Malkoff MDM4 SureFire Millennium Adapter bezel you have on your M961 series light.

View Quote

Ha! I bought a blue cover from you a year ago last month. I've been looking for a FM65 red filter for ages with zero luck.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I killed alot of pigs and coyotes with my old g2z.

No need to upgrade in my opinion because anything brighter is just to bright and washes out everything.

Did I make it in before that crowd?

I have several old surefires I need to upgrade and get them into the usable level. Hell my edc has 160x the output of my old surefires that were the shit back in the day.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a 6P that I got during the Lowe’s 50% off sale and even modding it with a 3 mode 500mA P60 and protected 17670s, it’s an archaic piece of shit that sits in a drawer.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:21:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m not bashing the 6P, as I’ll probably mount it on my 870 Police Magnum, but I’ve not even done that in 10 years.

There are plenty of killer P60s, that aren’t SureFire stuff.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Go sell it on ee or something if you don't want it then.

I have some sorta newer stuff, while bought new I don't chase newest stuff due to the big price difference for some improvement in performance.

I have several old surefires, some are some old weapon lights from police departments that got sold as surplus last year.

Still looking at em debating what I want to do with them.

Most stuff that is made so you can replace the bulb and work on it can be upgraded as well.

From the old maglights to surefire to some other odds and ends I am sure.

May not really be worth it.  Depends on how you value things.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 11:08:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I’m not bashing the 6P, as I’ll probably mount it on my 870 Police Magnum, but I’ve not even done that in 10 years.

Chris
View Quote

Sure you are.  You went out of your way to post in a thread filled with fans of the 6P and told them it’s an archaic piece of shit.  That’s the very definition bashing something.  Not enough blinky modes for you?  Not enough buttons to play with?  It doesn’t throw 2000 lumens for a 1000 yards?  If it doesn’t do what you need it to do, maybe you just bought the wrong light.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Sure you are.  You went out of your way to post in a thread filled with fans of the 6P and told them it’s an archaic piece of shit.  That’s the very definition bashing something.  Not enough blinky modes for you?  Not enough buttons to play with?  It doesn’t throw 2000 lumens for a 1000 yards?  If it doesn’t do what you need it to do, maybe you just bought the wrong light.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

I knew that would irk some people. Too bad, I guess?

Back in 2011, it was an 80LM LED light that cost $75 plus tax and that was so far behind the times that it wasn’t even funny. And I spent an extra $75 just to make it slightly better with the Redilast 3-mode drop in and 2 Redilast 17670s.

At least one could get a MagLite for under $25.

Hell, my dinky Fenix P1D puts out substantially more light (50% more light) and it fits on a keychain and has 3 modes.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 5:34:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Take your old 6ps and wrap some sand paper around a large drill bit to hone it out inside. Run rechargable 18650 instead of 123as. Did that to both of my NRA 6ps years ago. Still keep one on my nightstand.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Take your old 6ps and wrap some sand paper around a large drill bit to hone it out inside. Run rechargable 18650 instead of 123as. Did that to both of my NRA 6ps years ago. Still keep one on my nightstand.
View Quote

16650's slip right in, no drilling, boring, or sanding necessary. They're a good compromise between 18650 and 123s. They are rechargeable, have longer life than 123's but shorter than 18650's; hence the compromise.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 10:01:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Neat mod for a tactical light but for around $20 more I can get a new surefire LED light with two brightness settings.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#38]
I've had Malkoff drop-ins in my patrol rifle & shotgun for over 15yrs.  They've been used & abused but keep running strong.  At the time I got them they were the brightest thing around, now not so much but they are still just work.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm pretty sure the old P60 is what's in my SureFire 628 (MP5 handguard).  I'll definitely need to upgrade to that LED.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Bought some P60 LED replacements off Amazon, fits in a G2 if you remove the exterior spring, fits a 6p fine, wont fit in an old dedicated weaponlight ( SF#610 maybe?) . Theres some variation on sizes, now I'm trying to track down a couple MN10 LED replacement lamps for a 9v M500 forend
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 10:38:54 AM EDT
[#41]
I revamped some old lights, of various types, as long as the flashlight was of otherwise excellent quality; other flashlights were given away.  Unless the flashlight is of sentimental value, well-made, or highly useful, re-lamping is seldom cost-effective, unless it can be done fairly inexpensively.  Re-lamping old incan Sure
Fires is more-or-less a no-brainer.  Re-lamping a GI angle-neck flashlight might be on the border of what is reasonable.  YMMV.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a 12-13 year old Surefire B1 Backup that I never use anymore since switching to Fenix.
I would like to up the output of the old boy.  Anyone have suggestions as what to buy for it and where to find it?
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have a 12-13 year old Surefire B1 Backup that I never use anymore since switching to Fenix.
I would like to up the output of the old boy.  Anyone have suggestions as what to buy for it and where to find it?
View Quote

What type of, and how many batteries does your light take?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top