Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2018 9:26:08 PM EDT
I probably already know the answer to this, but I figured I'd ask anyway. What time of night are y'all seeing hogs during the summer months (now)?
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on how pressured they are sometimes right before dusk to five o'clock in the morning.  Game camera's are your best friend for patterning hogs.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 11:40:14 AM EDT
[#2]
We'll see them as early as sundown to as late as daybreak.
There are no set times. Like Sparky said, get cams with the date/timestamp
and mark your calendar the times that they show up. You'll begin to see a pattern soon enough.
Ours have not shown up on a Thursday since February. Must be union or something
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Man, I do need to get some game cams setup. Ultimately, patterning their movements is going to be my best bet. So the reason for the question is, I usually stay until around 11pm, but I feel like it's still too damn hot for them to be moving (I'm in Texas) that early. I noticed it gets much cooler around 2-3 am and I'm assuming this is the opportune time. Is this a valid assumption?
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm taking the summer off... just too hot and humid right now.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm taking the summer off... just too hot and humid right now.
View Quote
It’s so hot here in TX that I don’t even want to go right now.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 10:56:14 PM EDT
[#6]
After sweating my ass off and swatting mesquitos for a couple hours, I do think I will be laying off of the hogs until fall. It just ain't worth it
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:38:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
After sweating my ass off and swatting mesquitos for a couple hours, I do think I will be laying off of the hogs until fall. It just ain't worth it
View Quote
That's where you need a good blind with a quiet fan and exaust system with a small ozone generator.  When the flies and mosquitoes are biting the hog's usually move and roll in their favorite mud wallow then itch. Pig's can smell the therma cell so a good mosquito net and long sleeve shirt makes life easier.  The problem with fall is the acorns start falling and there's no telling where the pig's will be.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#8]
We changed tactics last weekend.  Instead of walking forest and swamps, we drove in an A/C truck scouting.  I was sitting in the window sill in the rear of the truck scanning recently planted bean fields or hay fields with a handheld thermal.  Got a 270# boar at 10:45PM.  It was the only one we saw in 15 miles or so, but he was nice and rooting on the edge of a field road- literally had to move the pig 8 feet to get to the tailgate.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 12:33:36 AM EDT
[#9]
You just never know. Until About a month ago I was killing hogs weekly from a stand that’s been in place for a couple of years. Have not seen signs of activity for several weeks lately, but they will be back....
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 7:58:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You just never know. Until About a month ago I was killing hogs weekly from a stand that’s been in place for a couple of years. Have not seen signs of activity for several weeks lately, but they will be back....
View Quote
They were at my house. Got into them the other night and busted them up. But caught a blind boar about 75#'s. I haven't seen much sense I think they headed to the lake a few miles away to eat the duck pond millet.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Same here, haven't seen any for awhile.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#12]
We went last night and covered over 7 miles on foot and no telling how much driving. Over 90° and humidity was stupid high. Around 230 this morning we called it a night and went back to the cabin and drank cold beer on the back porch with a nice cool breeze.

I will wait until a light jacket is needed before I do that again and I don't see that happening for a good long while.

Eta--and we still didn't see anything nor any signs. Wife shot 2 armadillos with the new thermal and that's about it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 10:22:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We went last night and covered over 7 miles on foot and no telling how much driving. Over 90° and humidity was stupid high. Around 230 this morning we called it a night and went back to the cabin and drank cold beer on the back porch with a nice cool breeze.

I will wait until a light jacket is needed before I do that again and I don't see that happening for a good long while.

Eta--and we still didn't see anything nor any signs. Wife shot 2 armadillos with the new thermal and that's about it.
View Quote
Sorry about your luck. Wife got one in the trap this morning.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Got 24 with some friends in central TX one night this weekend.  It all depends on where and how you're doing it
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Got 24 with some friends in central TX one night this weekend.  It all depends on where and how you're doing it
View Quote
So what did you do? What time were you out?
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I’ll answer for him, we’ve got him under an NDA......  we started about 930, hunted until about 3.  Dumped the bodies after obligatory hero pictures. Everything we do is spot and stalk.  We hunt timber as well as open pasture.  Sometimes we have time to read the pigs, and make a plan, sometimes it’s dismount and shoot.  Never the same two nights in a row . That’s what makes it fun

Noticed you’re in TX.  Look me up, maybe you could come out sometime.  I’ve got a couple guys off here that I think will turn in to regulars, but I’m sure there will be open spots . They’ve all got lives outside killing pigs unfortunately...
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 2:17:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Dusk till dawn for the most part with a smidge before and after. Expect barrows and trophies somwhere in between. Heat sucks and if you’re near me, it’s miserable. Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:I usually stay until around 11pm, but I feel like it's still too damn hot for them to be moving (I'm in Texas) that early. I noticed it gets much cooler around 2-3 am and I'm assuming this is the opportune time. Is this a valid assumption?
View Quote
No, that is not a valid assumption.  Hogs cannot sweat. Thus, they often go looking for water to cool off.  If your place has water, look for them there at literally any time of the day in the summer.  I shot one of the biggest hogs I can remember at 3PM.

How they move all depends on your property.  A general rule is they start moving to feed at corn feeders as the last light is leaving. So lately that's around 8:30 or 9pm.  But again, it depends on your property.

Here is an example from a property in the summer of 2017. This chart, which is based on game camera data, shows instances of hogs arriving at a corn feeder. This feeder threw at 7AM and 7PM, which, as you can see, is when activity was most common.  If you are hunting grazing hogs, your results could be very different.

Link Posted: 7/14/2018 12:13:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Interesting. I wish I could tag one of these sumbitches with either a GPS tracker or a camera just to see where they go for 24 hours.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 9:30:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I’ve thought the same thing about tracking collar.  Interesting thing, a couple of weeks ago we killed a big Barr. He was notched, and branded. So we tracked the digger down, and told him we got him. He was upset obviously. But the interesting part was he didn’t believe us. Had to send him pictures to prove it .  He hunts 30 miles west of where we killed him . Only two explanations. He either traveled that far , which would be odd. Or he got caught again, by someone else, and moved to a different area.  The second seems just as odd , because he would have been a trophy for anybody. Just can’t imagine someone catching him again, and not branding/notching/or killing him .
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 8:11:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I’ve thought the same thing about tracking collar.  Interesting thing, a couple of weeks ago we killed a big Barr. He was notched, and branded. So we tracked the digger down, and told him we got him. He was upset obviously. But the interesting part was he didn’t believe us. Had to send him pictures to prove it .  He hunts 30 miles west of where we killed him . Only two explanations. He either traveled that far , which would be odd. Or he got caught again, by someone else, and moved to a different area.  The second seems just as odd , because he would have been a trophy for anybody. Just can’t imagine someone catching him again, and not branding/notching/or killing him .
View Quote
Things with pig's just don't surprise me any more. We have killed them with pink ear tags. Caught three the other day that are as big a pets as most people's dogs. The spotted hog will play ball. I'm probably going to have give him to my buddy to eat. I don't think my wife is going to be able to fatten him out and eat him. The other pig is completely blind and the red hog is missing an ear.

You should hear some of the vocals the sows make when they approach the traps. The Cuddeback has good video and sound. Then some pig's just camp out in the traps.  You never know what is going to be released.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top