User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 3:07:15 PM EDT
[#1]
For all you who need windscreens, bulk 36 or 37 ga. aluminum foil from
Amazon is cheap, and twice or thrice as thick as the heaviest foil from
a restaurant supply.  Cut to fit and experiment.
Happy new Year.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For all you who need windscreens, bulk 36 or 37 ga. aluminum foil from
Amazon is cheap, and twice or thrice as thick as the heaviest foil from
a restaurant supply.  Cut to fit and experiment.
Happy new Year.
View Quote
Metal gauge (like wire gauge) is arranged such that the smaller the gauge number, the thicker the object is.

Yes, one can make such a device, as long as one finds the right material/alloy/thickness that will do the job.  Certainly one should carry a certain amount of thick gauge foil for possible use.

That said, why re-invent the wheel?  MSR Heat Reflector/Windshield: https://www.ems.com/msr-heat-reflector-with-windscreen%C2%A0/19830800012.html?mrkgcl=661&mrkgadid=3064809172&emssrcid=PPC%3AbingPLA%3AProductType1&creative=11622643037&device=c&matchtype=e&gclid=CNOm74uZ4-YCFRn0swodv00B2A&gclsrc=ds.  Please read the reviews, as they lend credence to my remarks.  FWIW, each of my hiking stoves has one of these devices  packaged with the stove, so it must be included along with the stove.

I most always favor user-made mods/devices, but this one has so much going for it that making your own (if possible) seems a bit pointless.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 5:59:22 AM EDT
[#3]
small and light.  BRS...end thread
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 11:10:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Lots of hate for the esbit. I have been using them for close to 25 years now without a problem. I have tried canister, alcohol, gel, and biomass stoves but always seem to return to the esbit.

There is definitely a technique to using them and they are not as fast as other systems. But if you are looking for a rugged, reliable, and flexible system - they are hard to beat.

Either way, it's all down to personal preference and I can't hate on anyone's preferences. I'd just suggest spending some time with the esbit pocket stove and see if it works for you.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Esbit stoves are okay if the temps are 50 degrees and above.  I've burned a lot of fuel tabs trying to get a canteen cup of water to boil. I will mention you need a really good wind screen and vapor barrier to maximize fuel efficiency.  I just haven't had much luck other than "warm" water in colder weather.  Same goes for alcohol stoves, which I have used on distance backpacking.  Below freezing their value is lost on the amount of fuel consumption.  One area they excel is in noise and even light; they are very low-profile.

Butane canister stoves are pretty simple and the canisters are pretty robust.  I can get about 6-7 days with a single 110gr (small) canister.  If I was just boiling water and that was my only plan, Jetboil stoves are pretty darn efficient.  I personally like a separate pot (with bail) so I can use it over an open fire in emergencies.

Like Lungbuster, I have a Bushbuddy (father of the Solostove) and alcohol stove combo for certain backcountry trips and I love the combo.  Natural tinder stoves can be a PITA if you're impatient, need a low profile, or it's soaking wet, but the alcohol stove option is where that comes in to make it a great combo.

Quoted:

It's the TOPS CUT 4.0. I've had it for about a year now and I like it a lot. Highly recommended.

LINKY
@sladekal
View Quote
Totally agree.  The TOPS is what I carried for over a year in Afghanistan.  Love that knife so much, I'm going to order a second

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Esbit stoves are okay if the temps are 50 degrees and above.  I've burned a lot of fuel tabs trying to get a canteen cup of water to boil. I will mention you need a really good wind screen and vapor barrier to maximize fuel efficiency.  I just haven't had much luck other than "warm" water in colder weather.  Same goes for alcohol stoves, which I have used on distance backpacking.  Below freezing their value is lost on the amount of fuel consumption.  One area they excel is in noise and even light; they are very low-profile.

Butane canister stoves are pretty simple and the canisters are pretty robust.  I can get about 6-7 days with a single 110gr (small) canister.  If I was just boiling water and that was my only plan, Jetboil stoves are pretty darn efficient.  I personally like a separate pot (with bail) so I can use it over an open fire in emergencies.

Like Lungbuster, I have a Bushbuddy (father of the Solostove) and alcohol stove combo for certain backcountry trips and I love the combo.  Natural tinder stoves can be a PITA if you're impatient, need a low profile, or it's soaking wet, but the alcohol stove option is where that comes in to make it a great combo.

Totally agree.  The TOPS is what I carried for over a year in Afghanistan.  Love that knife so much, I'm going to order a second

ROCK6
View Quote
I always appreciate when ROCK6 drops in to these threads, as he provides an experienced, ongoing, civilian AND military point of view.

I consider him a friend, and a mentor, in these discussions.  YMMV.  Perhaps, someday, I can repay him, from my store of knowledge, for what he has imparted to all of us.  I'm in his debt, and if I can help him somehow, will be delighted to do so.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Frankly, over the years, I have bought more multi-fuel stoves than is well-advised.  I bought well-made units from well-known mfrs, all of which are still working.

I might have been better off buying fewer, and so saving money.  YMMV.

It's worth mentioning that the spare parts availability "envelope" for modern stoves might be far, far shorter than for vintage stoves.  For example, I am able to buy any sort of "restoration" supplies for an Optimus stove made in 1958, but such restoration supplies were made for decades before and after.

Modern stoves are more-or-less "come-and-go" models, with spare parts availability of VERY limited time line. Their specific spare parts are always best bought when available, and always of very limited future availability.

So, do your research, buy your stove, and make certain that you obtain a lifetime supply of spare parts for it.  If you sell-off the stove for some reason, the spare parts will ADD value far beyond their initial purchase price.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 2:23:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

ROCK6
View Quote
I guess we've had differing experiences with the esbit system as I am primarily a winter and cold weather camper with the majority of my camping time being spent in sub 50 degree weather. Perhaps our camping/backpacking styles differ.

You mention you've burnt a lot of fuel tabs trying to get your water to boil? Normally when I see someone struggling with the pocket stove I see them placing the 14g cube in the stove bumpy side up. This is the lowest available burning temp for the cubes. I normally only suggest that when they want to warm water for coffee or when they're tossing in sticks and want to get a long burn. There are many techniques to promote and accelerate the sublimation process. Some crank up the heat and others bring it down to a simmer. It really is a versatile system once you get comfortable with it.

Most multi night camping trips I carry the 5g tablets instead of the 14g. It's lighter weight, I can carry a box of 16 inside of the stove, and twigs are readily available around here to keep the stove going for as long as I need.

If you have your system that you're satisfied with, by all means continue using it. I just think a lot of the bad reputation esbit has right now is due a misunderstanding of the system.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 2:32:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I guess we've had differing experiences with the esbit system as I am primarily a winter and cold weather camper with the majority of my camping time being spent in sub 50 degree weather. Perhaps our camping/backpacking styles differ.

You mention you've burnt a lot of fuel tabs trying to get your water to boil? Normally when I see someone struggling with the pocket stove I see them placing the 14g cube in the stove bumpy side up. This is the lowest available burning temp for the cubes. I normally only suggest that when they want to warm water for coffee or when they're tossing in sticks and want to get a long burn. There are many techniques to promote and accelerate the sublimation process. Some crank up the heat and others bring it down to a simmer. It really is a versatile system once you get comfortable with it.

Most multi night camping trips I carry the 5g tablets instead of the 14g. It's lighter weight, I can carry a box of 16 inside of the stove, and twigs are readily available around here to keep the stove going for as long as I need.

If you have your system that you're satisfied with, by all means continue using it. I just think a lot of the bad reputation esbit has right now is due a misunderstanding of the system.
View Quote
Perhaps it would be of benefit to all for you to expand on your esbit experiences.  Please give details.  Not gainsaying your comments, just seeking knowledge.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I got my little burner in from Amazon and had a chance to play with it some last night. Went outside in around 46 degree weather with a light mist and had water boiling in no time. I had to use the cheap Coleman canister as the ones I ordered hadn't arrived yet.
After my quick testing this is indeed what I was looking for and have already started looking for the best price on the msr burner. Thanks to everyone and all their help.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

ROCK6
View Quote
I'm ordering a second as well. I'd like to try getting the TOPS coating off of the knife on my next one. I don't use ferro rods much but when I do I have to switch knives or use a striker because of that coating tops uses.

I wonder if I can order one without the coating?
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Perhaps it would be of benefit to all for you to expand on your esbit experiences.  Please give details.  Not gainsaying your comments, just seeking knowledge.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, it would be my pleasure.

First we should touch on how esbit fuel tablets burn. They burn via a process known as sublimation. Sublimation is the transition of a solid directly into a gas, without an intermediate liquid state. In the case of Hexamine, it's the gas that is flammable - not the solids. This is an important bit of information as it often frustrates newcomers to the system to get the cubes to burn in the first place. They don't realize that it's not the cube itself that burns, it's the gasses released during the sublimation process. How do you get hexamine to sublimate? You heat the material to 536 degrees F. This is why folks often struggle early on to get them lit. They'll place the match in one corner, move to another spot, then to another not realizing they haven't heated any of the sections enough. When lighting the cube it's best to select a spot on the cube you'd like to light and commit to that spot. Just keep holding the match in the selected corner and very shortly the section should turn a golden color. This is normally a good indication that sublimation has begun and the cube has been lit.

Now, let's talk about stoves. I am partial to the standard pocket folding stove from Esbit. It's really simple and I can use it to burn esbit cubes or small twigs. That being said, it's about the least efficient system you could use. If you are looking to increase your efficiency I would suggest Four Dog Stoves Bushcooker LT series. It very efficiently burns esbit fuel tablets. I have heard nothing but great reviews, so I plan on purchasing the Bushcooker LT-1 in the near future to test. I'm interested in seeing how it functions compared to the system that I use.

Now, let's say you wanted to keep things cheap and just wanted to use the pocket stoves (understanding that it's not as efficient as others). Well the first thing you are going to want to do is create a wind screen.

Wind Screen Creation
Click To View Spoiler

Cube Sized
Click To View Spoiler
Varying Temperatures
Click To View Spoiler

Tests
Click To View Spoiler
The above is pretty underwhelming, I agree. You can get boiling water with a single cube, but any lower temperatures than 40 degrees - you may end up with close to boiling water. Sure you can use a second cube standing them both tall and get some super hot water, but esbit promises boiling water with 1 cube dammit!

Fret not, there is another option.

The Flat Cat

Click To View Spoiler
Final Notes

Is esbit right for you? Maybe so or maybe not, but hopefully I was able to convey that the pocket stove system is pretty versatile. Unlike an alcohol or canister stove, each part of the esbit stove is independent of eachother. If you break your folding pocket stove, it's no big deal. The esbit fuel tablets burn just fine without it. If you lose or run out of esbit tablets, thats fine - just build a small fire inside of the stove! As long as you have one of the two parts, you'll be able to cobble together a solution. Additionally, the esbit cubes themselves work as great "I'm feeling too lazy to make a fire the right way" fire starters!

Hope this was helpful.

P.S. - I have to run to a movie, I'll grammar check this when I get back.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:35:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Why not just carry a small penny stove and a small bottle of 190 proof everclear.  Serves 2 purposes.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

First we should touch on how esbit fuel tablets burn. They burn via a process known as sublimation. Sublimation is the transition of a solid directly into a gas, without an intermediate liquid state. In the case of Hexamine, it's the gas that is flammable - not the solids. This is an important bit of information as it often frustrates newcomers to the system to get the cubes to burn in the first place. They don't realize that it's not the cube itself that burns, it's the gasses released during the sublimation process. How do you get hexamine to sublimate? You heat the material to 536 degrees F. This is why folks often struggle early on to get them lit. They'll place the match in one corner, move to another spot, then to another not realizing they haven't heated any of the sections enough. When lighting the cube it's best to select a spot on the cube you'd like to light and commit to that spot. Just keep holding the match in the selected corner and very shortly the section should turn a golden color. This is normally a good indication that sublimation has begun and the cube has been lit.

Now, let's talk about stoves. I am partial to the standard pocket folding stove from Esbit. It's really simple and I can use it to burn esbit cubes or small twigs. That being said, it's about the least efficient system you could use. If you are looking to increase your efficiency I would suggest Four Dog Stoves Bushcooker LT series. It very efficiently burns esbit fuel tablets. I have heard nothing but great reviews, so I plan on purchasing the Bushcooker LT-1 in the near future to test. I'm interested in seeing how it functions compared to the system that I use.

Now, let's say you wanted to keep things cheap and just wanted to use the pocket stoves (understanding that it's not as efficient as others). Well the first thing you are going to want to do is create a wind screen.

Wind Screen Creation
Click To View Spoiler

Cube Sized
Click To View Spoiler
Varying Temperatures
Click To View Spoiler

Tests
Click To View Spoiler
The above is pretty underwhelming, I agree. You can get boiling water with a single cube, but any lower temperatures than 40 degrees - you may end up with close to boiling water. Sure you can use a second cube standing them both tall and get some super hot water, but esbit promises boiling water with 1 cube dammit!

The Flat Cat

Click To View Spoiler
Final Notes

Is esbit right for you? Maybe so or maybe not, but hopefully I was able to convey that the pocket stove system is pretty versatile. Unlike an alcohol or canister stove, each part of the esbit stove is independent of eachother. If you break your folding pocket stove, it's no big deal. The esbit fuel tablets burn just fine without it. If you lose or run out of esbit tablets, thats fine - just build a small fire inside of the stove! As long as you have one of the two parts, you'll be able to cobble together a solution. Additionally, the esbit cubes themselves work as great "I'm feeling too lazy to make a fire the right way" fire starters!

Hope this was helpful.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wind Screen Creation
Click To View Spoiler

Cube Sized
Click To View Spoiler
Varying Temperatures
Click To View Spoiler

Tests
Click To View Spoiler

The Flat Cat

Click To View Spoiler
Final Notes

Hope this was helpful.

That was a very good reply, and thanks for doing so.  I think we are much more informed.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:48:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why not just carry a small penny stove and a small bottle of 190 proof everclear.  Serves 2 purposes.
View Quote
Sshhh...that's a backpacking secret

I backpacked with a guy who did this.  That liquid serves three purposes: Fuel, antiseptic, and motivation

The price is often the issue, but that stuff does quite well as fuel.

Esbit/hexamine/trioxane fuel tablets work, but as mentioned and demonstrated by Cobalt (great review and testing BTW), they require some finesse and if temps are too low or conditions too windy for your wind screen, they can be very sub-optimal.  I wouldn't rely on tablets to boil water purification as a general rule, but to heat up filtered/purified water for a warm drink...they work fine.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 10:43:18 PM EDT
[#16]
You say you can't stash a bike at work but also say you work in a city- you can pick up a second hand bike off Craigslist, Goodwill, etc for under $50.  Heck, Walmart routinely puts bikes on clearance (check the walmart clearance thread).  Grease it up well and lock it to a handy rack at a local apartment complex, housing development, etc.  It doesn't have to look pretty, it just needs to work.  Carry a patch kit and small pump in your bag to fix/inflate the tires if needed.  You'll need to check on it periodically and it'd be a good idea to move it around so it doesn't appear abandoned.  If you'd rather toss one in your vehicle, you can pick up inexpensive folding bikes off ebay or amazon for under $200 new; try to find a used one.

Crossing through areas with people and planning to stay in empty buildings?  Do you have the tools to access them?  Do you have a way to secure or alarm it once you're in?  I carry a couple of nails and screws in my bag and also two of those inexpensive personal alarms (I painted them OD green and there is some fishing line in my bag).  Leave the batteries in the package, don't install them until needed.

Keep the backpackers mantra in mind though- ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 10:53:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Do you have access to lots of dry wood? Nothing simpler than a simple little woodstove. No fuel to carry (unless you want to). Is smoke a factor?

If you want a tiny butane stove, look at the BRS-3000 stoves on Amazon. I have one and like it.
View Quote
I second this stove. Its design is also popular with appalachian trail through hikers
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You say you can't stash a bike at work but also say you work in a city- you can pick up a second hand bike off Craigslist, Goodwill, etc for under $50.  Heck, Walmart routinely puts bikes on clearance (check the walmart clearance thread).  Grease it up well and lock it to a handy rack at a local apartment complex, housing development, etc.  It doesn't have to look pretty, it just needs to work.  Carry a patch kit and small pump in your bag to fix/inflate the tires if needed.  You'll need to check on it periodically and it'd be a good idea to move it around so it doesn't appear abandoned.  If you'd rather toss one in your vehicle, you can pick up inexpensive folding bikes off ebay or amazon for under $200 new; try to find a used one.

Crossing through areas with people and planning to stay in empty buildings?  Do you have the tools to access them?  Do you have a way to secure or alarm it once you're in?  I carry a couple of nails and screws in my bag and also two of those inexpensive personal alarms (I painted them OD green and there is some fishing line in my bag).  Leave the batteries in the package, don't install them until needed.

Keep the backpackers mantra in mind though- ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain.
View Quote
Honestly there isnt even a bike rack anywhere near me in this city, I'm looking into the folding bikes but it will probably be a while before I have the cash for one.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 2:28:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Honestly there isnt even a bike rack anywhere near me in this city, I'm looking into the folding bikes but it will probably be a while before I have the cash for one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The simpler the better with folding bikes. Steer away from cables brake/derailuer systems. A simple single speed coaster brake is best.

The folding/pivot mechanisms wreak havoc on cables, especially on something that is not used daily.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 10:24:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The simpler the better with folding bikes. Steer away from cables brake/derailuer systems. A simple single speed coaster brake is best.

The folding/pivot mechanisms wreak havoc on cables, especially on something that is not used daily.
View Quote
I’ve had nothing but great experiences with Montague folding mountain bikes (own three).  I would assume you have various makes that are problematic to avoid?  I haven’t heard anything about having your bike folded messing with the cables or derailleurs, but figure a poor design could cause issues with repeated tension and slack if folding and unfolding repeatedly.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Wind Screen Creation
Click To View Spoiler

Cube Sized
Click To View Spoiler
Varying Temperatures
Click To View Spoiler

Tests
Click To View Spoiler

The Flat Cat

Click To View Spoiler
Final Notes

Hope this was helpful.

View Quote
Great explanation for a newbie like me. I have a small canister stove but with the size and versatility would consider packing this as a backup. Being able to burn wood etc if the 2 or 3 day hike goes long is pretty useful since you may simply run out of fuel.

Also the saying 1 is none and 2 is 1 doesn’t just apply to firearms
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Great explanation for a newbie like me. I have a small canister stove but with the size and versatility would consider packing this as a backup. Being able to burn wood etc if the 2 or 3 day hike goes long is pretty useful since you may simply run out of fuel.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wind Screen Creation
Click To View Spoiler

Cube Sized
Click To View Spoiler
Varying Temperatures
Click To View Spoiler

Tests
Click To View Spoiler

The Flat Cat

Click To View Spoiler
Final Notes

Hope this was helpful.

For boiling water, once or twice a day for a couple days, a small canister will work fine and it's fast and convenient.  I keep a Jetboil in the back of my truck that I can toss in my bag whenever needed.  I use a larger fuel can normally but keep one of the small ones that fits in the Jetboil pot along with the stove, stabilizing feet and pot stabilizer thing.  It's bulkier than one of those tiny $15 Amazon stoves but it works well (for boiling water).

I keep thinking about buying one of the collapsible stoves like this,überleben Stoker Flatpack Stove  but I just don't see myself using it much when the Jetboil is quick and easy.  There is very little light produced as the flame  is hidden in the burner and essentially no smoke.  I leave fuel cartridges in the back of my black truck year round in SC; there's also a 1lb propane cylinder for a lantern (I leave some camping gear in it most of the time).

Back on topic, it's pretty crazy that bike racks aren't a thing in some places.  What about one of those little scooters or even a skateboard?  If the roads/sidewalks around you are smooth enough to use one it would still be faster and easier than walking where flat or downhill.  Goofy as it sounds, anything that got you home to your kids can't be a bad thing.  On a related note, I remember a member here years ago talking about how he kept one of those small, inexpensive inflatable boats in his truck because he had several water crossing and he expected them to be choke points.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
You might want to see if Lyft scooters and Uber bicycles are available. Here in Austin they are everywhere, but if you're in a small town of <5000 -10000 people, that may not be an option to get home. I know it sounds stupid but these bikes and scooters are more prolific here in Austin than Kudzu in Georgia.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I just bought a very nice Primus 51 Kero stove on the interweb.  It arrived today, and it needs some TLC. It's a Kero stove, and somewhat collectible.  That's on me.

From my (possibly) inadequate experience, Kero stoves provide more heat than gasoline stoves.  No Expert.

My Optimus 199 stove will run Gasoline, Kerosene, and Alcohol, with changing of jets and some minor adjustments to suit Alcohol.  I like that little stove.  Currently for sale for stupid bucks on the Web.  FWIW, I bought mine for $40 way back when. Fortunately, bought a LOT of spare parts kits at the same time.
An EXCELLENT stove.  No longer offered, sad to say.

There are many good multi-fuel stoves currently being offered by respected mfrs.

If looking for a multi-fuel stove, may I suggest that one also considers spare parts kits?    I DO NOT advocate buying any stove which does not have easily accessible Spare Parts kits.  If available, buy TWO, and you will be gtg for a very long time.

What i see, in the immediate future, is the reluctance on the part of such stove mfrs, to make such stoves that are not almost impossible to screw-up, or fueled with politically objectional fuels.

Most older stoves are fairly simple, as long as one reads the instructions.

Look forward to the Gov't-approved, non-reuesable, fuel cannister for your backpacking stove. For many reasons, the Environuts within the Fed Gov  establishment are devoted to people ingressing such areas.

I might be wrong, but  I see this coming.  YMVV.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I just bought a very nice Primus 51 Kero stove on the interweb.  It arrived today, and it needs some TLC. It's a Kero stove, and somewhat collectible.  That's on me.

From my (possibly) inadequate experience, Kero stoves provide more heat than gasoline stoves.  No Expert.

My Optimus 199 stove will run Gasoline, Kerosene, and Alcohol, with changing of jets and some minor adjustments to suit Alcohol.  I like that little stove.  Currently for sale for stupid bucks on the Web.  FWIW, I bought mine for $40 way back when. Fortunately, bought a LOT of spare parts kits at the same time.

There are many good multi-fuel stoves currently being offered by respected mfrs.

If looking for a multi-fuel stove, may I suggest that one also considers spare parts kits?    I DO NOT advocate buying any stove which does not have easily accessible Spare Parts kits.  If available, buy TWO, and you will be gtg for a very long time.

What i see, in the immediate future, is the reluctance on the part of such stove mfrs, to make such stoves that are not almost impossible to screw-up, or fueled with politically objectional fuels.

Look forward to the Gov't-approved, non-reuesable, fuel cannister for your backpacking stove. For many reasons, the Environuts within the Fed Gov  establishment are devoted to people ingressing such areas.

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You might want to see if Lyft scooters and Uber bicycles are available. Here in Austin they are everywhere, but if you're in a small town of <5000 -10000 people, that may not be an option to get home. I know it sounds stupid but these bikes and scooters are more prolific here in Austin than Kudzu in Georgia.
View Quote
We dont even have regular uber around here. I think when I use the term city everyone mistook it as a large city. To most it's a small town but to me it's a large city, at least for my area.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps I did not explain my position adequately.  Please expand on your emoji.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Perhaps I did not explain my position adequately.  Please expand on your emoji.
View Quote
While the environazis would love to ban fossil fuel cars, I'm pretty sure multi fuel stoves aren't on their radar.  Of all the things to worry about, government bans of multi fuel stoves is pretty low on the list of things to be worried about.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

While the environazis would love to ban fossil fuel cars, I'm pretty sure multi fuel stoves aren't on their radar.  Of all the things to worry about, government bans of multi fuel stoves is pretty low on the list of things to be worried about.
View Quote
OK, understood.

My perspective is that the EnviroNazis would VERY MUCH like to see a diminished human presence in most National Parks, most particularly independant backpackers.  Backpackers introduce all sorts of problems for the Forest Service/Park Service, whose domains overlap to some extent.  So the fewer of them, the better, from their point of view.  The "Backpackers" should not be confused with the "Tourists", which are the bread-and-butter of the Park Service.

The "tourists" come and go, in tightly organized groups, which organizers pay dues to the PS, for the clients to experience the parks in a fairly short duration, limited access overall plan.

The "Backpackers" are much more problematic for the FS, as they have almost no control over where they will go, and when they will return.

This is very messy for any FedGov employee, for many reasons, control being not the least.

My comments on the non-refillable fuel cannisters are simply this:  An experienced Camper can take a liquid-fueled stove into the woods, and carry far more BTUs (energy) than most folks, using non-refillable gas cannisters, per pound of fuel carried.   The experienced camper can even use ground fuel to cook their food and heat their water.   All this "uncontrolled behavior" is anathema to all the FedGov "Service" providers.  It is not uncommon to get conflicting "requirements" from both "Services" at any given time.

Your FedGov, "SAFE" gas cannister is of shorter-duration than a bottle of Kero or White gas, and so will restrict the user of such in their range of penetration into sacrosanct territory.

The USFS has NO interest in people going into their domain.  Quite the contrary.  The USPS HAS a definite, moneterized, interest in tourists going through their venues, in an organized manner.

Hopefully I have made my position clear.  If not, then please ask questions.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 7:34:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

OK, understood.

My perspective is that the EnviroNazis would VERY MUCH like to see a diminished human presence in most National Parks, most particularly independant backpackers.  Backpackers introduce all sorts of problems for the Forest Service/Park Service, whose domains overlap to some extent.  So the fewer of them, the better, from their point of view.  The "Backpackers" should not be confused with the "Tourists", which are the bread-and-butter of the Park Service.

The "tourists" come and go, in tightly organized groups, which organizers pay dues to the PS, for the clients to experience the parks in a fairly short duration, limited access overall plan.

The "Backpackers" are much more problematic for the FS, as they have almost no control over where they will go, and when they will return.

This is very messy for any FedGov employee, for many reasons, control being not the least.

My comments on the non-refillable fuel cannisters are simply this:  An experienced Camper can take a liquid-fueled stove into the woods, and carry far more BTUs (energy) than most folks, using non-refillable gas cannisters, per pound of fuel carried.   The experienced camper can even use ground fuel to cook their food and heat their water.   All this "uncontrolled behavior" is anathema to all the FedGov "Service" providers.  It is not uncommon to get conflicting "requirements" from both "Services" at any given time.

Your FedGov, "SAFE" gas cannister is of shorter-duration than a bottle of Kero or White gas, and so will restrict the user of such in their range of penetration into sacrosanct territory.

The USFS has NO interest in people going into their domain.  Quite the contrary.  The USPS HAS a definite, moneterized, interest in tourists going through their venues, in an organized manner.

Hopefully I have made my position clear.  If not, then please ask questions.
View Quote
I’ve heard a lot of paranoia but this is a new one to me.

I’ve spent a lot of time on public lands and have never gotten this impression nor has anyone I have ever met on public lands ever expressed any similar fears and I’ve met every type of person from conservative to nutty, to hippie and everything in between. That’s a new level of paranoia to me.

I ride ATVs on public land and the liberals have a far greater interest in banning them than multi fuel stoves....and yet every year more and more public lands open for ATV use.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think that you're mistaking concerns over increased use of some of the long trails like the AT and PCT as some form of anti-hiker sentiment
The various trail conservancies are as concerned about the increased number of hikers as any federal agency is.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think that you're mistaking concerns over increased use of some of the long trails like the AT and PCT as some form of anti-hiker sentiment
The various trail conservancies are as concerned about the increased number of hikers as any federal agency is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Increased usage, whether of trails, parks, or other items is a legit concern.  No responsible person wants these resources to become overcrowded to the point where they are damaged.  As to the "conservancy" groups, I am ill-informed, but I strongly suspect that the majority of them are, indeed, "EnviroNazis", and would prefer fewer people on the trails than more.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

As to the Agencies/Services currently in charge of such things, my guess is that the employees of such State Organs want to do the best they can, but they are under-funded, short-staffed, and over-worked.  This state of things is NOT helpful.  BTDT.

I DO believe that the "EnviroNazis" would VERY MUCH prefer that most humans were excluded from Federal lands.  Such groups most certainly excluding hunters, as well as many other groups.

Naturally, the rank-and-file State/Fed employees want to see continued, responsible use of the trails/parks, and perhaps increased usage, as such benefits their Union members.  Such  increased usage benefits the people running the trails/parks, while, at some point, running the possibility of overwhelming existing staff, and so requiring more Union members.  It is obvious how this goes.

I may be mistaken on the facts of any particular topic, and encourage others to correct me on the facts.  My opinions are based on facts, and can change, as I better understand the facts.

I don't think we disagree. Hopefully, you will enlighten me, where I am wrong.

With all respect.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Increased usage, whether of trails, parks, or other items is a legit concern.  No responsible person wants these resources to become overcrowded to the point where they are damaged.  As to the "conservancy" groups, I am ill-informed, but I suspect that the majority of them are, indeed, "EnviroNazis", and would prefer fewer people on the trails than more.  Perhaps I'm wrong.

As to the Agencies/Services currently in charge of such things, my guess is that the employees of such State Organs want to do the best they can, but they are under-funded, short-staffed, and over-worked.  This state of things is NOT helpful.  BTDT.

I DO believe that the "EnviroNazis" would VERY MUCH prefer that most humans were excluded from Federal lands.  Such groups most certainly excluding hunters, as well as many other groups.

Now, I may be wrong on some of this, and I rely on others to correct me if so.  Always willing to apologize if wrong, as long as reasonably demonstrated.
View Quote
How are we supposed to demonstrate what you hold as a suspicion with absolutely no proof?

I think that the burden is on you to show the activities, actions etc  that's generating your concern.

I agree that over-crowding is  a legit concern.
That's why the PCT permit system was revised this year and rules imposed that limit things like flip flop hikes.
Also the ATC encouraging more SoBos or flip flops instead of the traditional Northbound bubble getting bigger and bigger every year

The Federal lands are there for us to use.
If the "environazis" are up in arms about anything, its about things like pipelines running through trails, not about getting people entirely out of federal lands.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#34]
After a few tries on the usual search terms concerning Fed Land/Park usage, I found no good hits with which to quote with respect to your post. I suspect, given my previously-stated comments, that I did not search deeply enough.  There remains the prospect I'm wrong, which I doubt very much.  The fault is in my search terms. or possibly how deeply buried the ultimate goals of the environazis lie.

I don't think we are in opposition, but I am (reasonably) required to prove my point.  Fair enough.  Please allow me some reasonable time to do so.  With all respect.  Without excusing myself, and If I am correct in my proposals, such essential points just might be a little difficult to find.  Anyone willing to help is asked to provide pertinent links, please.

Just might be a subject tor another topic, YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Definitely Not being an expert, but if one wants the best multifuel stove, than  inspection on the interweb is essential.

For example:  My Optimus 199 military stove ,  bought for $40 long ago, is currently selling for astounding, stupid, prices.   No longer offered, unfortunately.
As  it is, as long as one has the required alcohol  jets and  the Alky "collars",  then you are GTG with Gasoline, Kero, and Alcohol, with some stove components  replacement-as suggested by OEM mfr.

Most stove experts refer to this specific stove as a very useful example of an a very exceptionable, multi-fuel stove.  They are correct.

In practice, stoves that will efficiently burn multiple fuels are a bit beyond the point.  FVIW, most stoves that will burn both Kero and gasoline burn better , and more efficiently, with Kero than gasoline.  BTDT.

Try it out for yourself, with both fuels.  See for yourself.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
After a few tries on the usual search terms concerning Fed Land/Park usage, I found no good hits with which to quote with respect to your post. I suspect, given my previously-stated comments, that I did not search deeply enough.  There remains the prospect I'm wrong, which I doubt very much.  The fault is in my search terms. or possibly how deeply buried the ultimate goals of the environazis lie.

I don't think we are in opposition, but I am (reasonably) required to prove my point.  Fair enough.  Please allow me some reasonable time to do so.  With all respect.  Without excusing myself, and If I am correct in my proposals, such essential points just might be a little difficult to find.  Anyone willing to help is asked to provide pertinent links, please.

View Quote
FFS leave this foil on head stuff for GD.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate your comments.  I am currently unable to prove my initial remarks, and so defer to others.

Time --and research--will tell whether I am right, or others are right.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#38]
For a get home bag, I'd go with alcohol stove.
All you want to do is boil some water for coffee, tea and reconstituted meals.
Stores forever, light, cheap.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Having bought some military Trangia stoves, along with their original Swedish cook--sets, I feel qualified to comment.  I might add that I am entirely familiar with other sorts of stoves.

The military Trangia stoves are of different dimensions from their civilian counterparts, so civvy accessories cannot be automatically be presumed to be useable vice  military stoves.

It's worth noting that most evals of Trangia stove stands show that the optimal distance between the top of the Trangia burner and the bottom of the pot is between 1" to 1-1/8".  Anything outside this limited range results in a progressive deterioration of the stove's effectiveness.  The Swedish Mil-spec kits observe this critical dimension, FWIW.

That said, such alcohol stoves, as long as they have sufficient wind screens, will serve reasonably well in benign temps/elevations.  Nothing beyond that, IMHO.  Never seen an alcohol stove on the approach to Everest, lol.

Used within its' limits,  and having a suitable windscreen, the Trangia stove is a viable stove under certain, limited, circumstances.

I don't think the Trangia, no matter how well set-up, would be my get-home, never-fail stove,especially in higher elevations, and/or extreme cold.  I believe it preferable to settle on a better, year-round stove, and practice with it under all conditions.  From my limited experience, most Multi-fuel stoves generally boil faster with Kero than with gasoline.  Try it out for yourself.

Kero stores easier, longer, and safer than gasoline.  Again, try it out.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:40:57 PM EDT
[#40]
MSR Whisperlite International

It's a multi fuel stove that burns white gas, kerosene, and unleaded auto fuel.  I've had mine for over 20 years and I don't think I've even changed the mantle.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#41]
After lighting my Primus Kero stove in the modest breeze, but with a too-short windscreen, I think it vital that users of any stove make certain that their stove has an appropriate windscreen.  Absolutely vital.  Period.

Case in point:  The MSR heavy foil windscreen that I used is perfectly adequate for low-height stoves, like the usual backpacker/hiker stoves.  However, it was far too short to help me out in the first-lighting of my old (new to me) Optimus Kero stove, which towered over the MSR windscreen.  Bought a folding, aluminum panel windscreen  (adjustable in length by removing panels) on Amazon, and the next lighting went much easier, under same conditions.  Initial GEAR problem splved, but additional practice was also essential.

Moral of the story:  ALWAYS try out your gear in the most adverse conditions possible, and then make adjustments to technique/gear to suit.  Assume things will go wrong, and have a decent Plan "B".

PRACTICE with seldom-used gear, lest one forget things/get rusty.  Include easy-to-read (waterproof) notes with seldom-used gear, in case you have forgotten some fine points, or an inexperienced family member/friend needs to use it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:25:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
MSR Whisperlite International

It's a multi fuel stove that burns white gas, kerosene, and unleaded auto fuel.  I've had mine for over 20 years and I don't think I've even changed the mantle.
View Quote
Those stoves don't have a "mantle"--that's for lanterns, which do have such.  If I may, I'm sure you meant to say "Jet".

To be fair, the International stove reduces fuss with not requiring changing fuel-appropriate jets when changing fuels within its' stated capabilities.  OTOH, it loses a certain amount of fuel efficiency in not doing so.  It's likely that some fuels will burn more efficiently on the International than others.  Don't know which fuels burn most efficiently, but suspect info is available on the web.   Might want to look into that.

There are benefits and disadvantages to both approaches: Universal Jet Vs. Multi-Jets.  Not changing Jets is a convenience, and allows most users, particularly inexperienced users, to use the stove with no problems.  That's certainly a plus.  Of course,  such convenience comes at a cost, namely inefficiency of fuel-usage.  Changing Jets allows optimal fuel economy, and so better fuel economy.  This comes at the cost of user experience.

IOW, being able to change stove jets optimizes fuel economy, and simplicity of use.  Running a "Universal fuel jet makes things simple for most folks.   Running a stove that requires changing Jets dictates more user experience, and allows greater fuel efficiency.

To repeat: there may also be inherent fuel limitations given the "Universal" jet.  the "Universal"jet cannot be be expected to run at optimal fuel efficiency compared to a jet that is tailor-made for a specific fuel.

For example, my Optimus 199 multi-fuel stove requires Jet replacement for burning Gasoline (any type)/ Kero/Diesel/Jet Fuel/ and Alcohol.  3 different jets.  The Alcohol conversion requires not only a Jet replacement, but the easily-done installation of some other, essential, parts.   Before anyone asks, this 199 stove is no longer offered, and from what I see, commands absolutely incredible prices.

IMHO, Optimus/Primus, or whatever they have morphed-into might well consider offering a modern 199 version of their stove.  I suspect that "Product Liability" laws have discouraged them--and most other stove Mfrs-- from offering "complicated" stoves that require jet replacement.  And so we have the One-size-fits-most "International" stove.

Absolutely NO slam on the "International" stove.  It performs well, and is durable.  Worth buying.  Make sure to buy an accessory windscreen, and use both in adverse conditions.  PRACTICE!

@ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#43]
I have and use both a Esbit stove and a Emberlit wood stove. The Emberlit is good for heating up water quickish without giving away your presence, as others have said you will want a windscreen if there is so much as a breeze. I use the Emberlit alot more, lots of wood to burn in my area, and once it gets burning good it dosent produce alot of smoke. I have a small stainless grill top for it and have cooked steaks on it several times. It's good for having a fire without having a fire if that makes any sense.

Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Increased usage, whether of trails, parks, or other items is a legit concern.  No responsible person wants these resources to become overcrowded to the point where they are damaged.  As to the "conservancy" groups, I am ill-informed, but I strongly suspect that the majority of them are, indeed, "EnviroNazis", and would prefer fewer people on the trails than more.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but I doubt it.
View Quote
So, it's been a few years, but I'm a trained "Leave No Trace" instructor as I took a week-long course with my wife as she was starting up a middle school outdoors club.  A lot of the State and Federal parks are adopting these outdoors ethical practices.  Some are kind of pushing the border of extreme, but I've found the majority are well founded on environmental science and common sense.  Yes, the biggest threat is compaction on trails and campsites and overuse of fire pits.  There is less concern about the number of people on trails as there is the number of people at a time on the trail.  Most groups are limited between 12-24 as larger groups often tread off the trail.

Common sense is also on campsite selection.  Some parks are now going away from designed sites as they tend to get over compacted which leads to complete and often irrecoverable defoliation which results in erosion.  LNT recommends dispersed campsites where the whole LNT concept applies to reducing compaction as sites are not designated.  These sites are also meant to be off the trail a good distance and out of sight/sound if possible so other's aren't bugged or attracted to your campsite.  We have often talked about "stealth camping" and that is really what LNT advocates.  Open fires are discouraged (or recommend using existing fire pits instead of building a new one 20 feet away), hence the preference for stoves; even twig stoves are preferred as the base can be placed on a rock platform and/or directly on the ground without causing much ground damage and ashes can be more effectively dispersed.

Some of the common sense practices revolve around water sources.  Not camping too close along with practices meant to limit your time and impact at those sources.

There are some Envrio-Nazis, but the ethos of LNT was never meant to be that...more educational and ethics practiced by the individual and not used as a pulpit to preach and condemn (which I have destroyed a few who took that approach when I've run across them in the outdoors).  Most of the Enviro-Nazis are not trained, don't understand the science, and are more often part of the problem vice being an educational voice as part of the long-term solution.

Most of the ethical LNT practices are recommendations and situational.  A good example is the use of brightly covered clothing and shelters.  Zoologists have shown that bright colors not part of the local environment can stress many of the critters in the ecosystem, as brighter colors often denote a threat of some type.  While that's fine for me as all my clothing and gear is often camo or muted earth tones, my wife has pointed out that solo backpackers, especially women, are often advised to wear bright clothes as means of signaling or being seen if something bad does happen.  All the "master LNT instructors" I've met never put LNT ethics above individual safety.  There are few hard-fast rules as it's very much situationally dependent, but at least understanding the purpose behind the LNT ethics offers some sound reasons to help make certain decisions.  Ironically, they also acknowledge the proliferation of CCW on trails, in parks, etc., and that LNT "education" should never be forced or combative...in other words, don't piss off somebody because they don't bury/stir their shit right, or they camp too close to a river, or they step around a puddle in the trail vice walking through it.  If they're willing to listen, you should explain the purpose and reason for such things and offer the educational aspect without the condemnation of be a Enviro-Nazi.

Didn't mean to stray off topic, but stoves (even natural fuel stoves) are very much recommended in the LNT community.  And, if you actually use many of the ethical practices, you'll avoid the moronic trail Enviro-Nazis looking to condemn anybody for any petty reason; LNT has never been about those individuals and very much train against those kinds of behaviors and attitudes.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:44:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Since I am now chasing the elusive "perfect" Hobo stove, I wanted to throw my latest find into the ring.

https://siegestoves.com/order-stove.htm

The canister is usually an IKEA can, but they aren't working right now....lol

The canister can also be purchased at Walmart. I set up one to day with a side hole for
sticks and a mesh tray for a bottom support because my cross members aren't here yet.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 3:07:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Honestly, I would skip the stove and just carry enough food, (protein bars, granola, etc.) for the walk home.

Think Survival, Evasion and Escape..., not backpacking or camping....
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 3:27:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Trangia or similar style alcohol stove.

-Lightweight and compact
-No moving parts
-Use Evercleer for fuel = fuel, disinfectant, booze
-Alcohol stoves can be safely used indoors
-Can also use denatured alcohol, HEET, isopropyl, so fuel is widely available in any city or town.

Made in Sweden, been around since 1925.

There's some nice Titanium alternatives, but apparently they are trickier to light.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 5:05:19 AM EDT
[#48]
MSR Whisperlite Internationale…..use 87, kerosene, Jet Fuel, and coleman fuel. I've been using once since 1998 on the Appalachian trail and many other hiking adventures.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Naturally, the rank-and-file State/Fed employees want to see continued, responsible use of the trails/parks, and perhaps increased usage, as such benefits their Union members.  Such  increased usage benefits the people running the trails/parks, while, at some point, running the possibility of overwhelming existing staff, and so requiring more Union members.  It is obvious how this goes.  
View Quote

Having taken a Leave No Trace (LNT) instructors course which involves the outdoor-ethics philosophy there are some different opinions and strategies on here.  On the far left spectrum, you do have those that would love to make most parks "off limits" to any humans (except for the elites who bankroll their activism); and on the other end is the "for profit" management that strives hard to attract visitors while balancing impacts to the ecosystems and environment.  LNT outdoors ethics isn't about Enviro-Nazis, although some think they are the regulators of the outdoors.  Their focus is to not necessarily limit visitation, but mitigate the impacts through various strategies.  

My biggest concern with "Federal" land is that it belongs to us.  Some in the government see it as "their" property and forget who it really belongs to and who really funds operations, people, and activities.  Several national parks and forests are promoting LNT as a means to reduce impacts, such as their camping site strategies which moves away from fixed sites.  One area they do try to minimize is group size for hikes and visits, but that is pretty common sense and 100 tourists on a trail is pretty impactful to other visitors as much as the ecosystem.  

While I love open fires, I do think stoves are a good mitigation strategy for backcountry use.  Less impact to the environment.  Heck, even the twig-type stoves are beneficial as they minimize the footprint and the burned ashes are much easier to spread.  

I think we are always going to have conservancy groups pushing for the extremes of "no human use".  Where I find the LNT research beneficial is that it's actually based on science and data as it relates to soil compaction, erosion, impacts to wildlife, and defoliation, etc.  There philosophy isn't to limit activities but build strategies to minimize the negative impacts and maximize the space and resources to keep the ecosystems healthier with faster recoveries.  No kidding, you want facts and scientific research data, LNT has a ton of it...but they're also smart enough to realized that money is generated from visiting outdoor recreational areas through equipment purchases, permits/fees, and advertisement...outdoor ethics just provides some options to mitigate the impacts from use while promoting healthy practices for ecological recovery.

100 years ago, most people would call in common-sense.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Having taken a Leave No Trace (LNT) instructors course which involves the outdoor-ethics philosophy there are some different opinions and strategies on here.  On the far left spectrum, you do have those that would love to make most parks "off limits" to any humans (except for the elites who bankroll their activism); and on the other end is the "for profit" management that strives hard to attract visitors while balancing impacts to the ecosystems and environment.  LNT outdoors ethics isn't about Enviro-Nazis, although some think they are the regulators of the outdoors.  Their focus is to not necessarily limit visitation, but mitigate the impacts through various strategies.  

My biggest concern with "Federal" land is that it belongs to us.  Some in the government see it as "their" property and forget who it really belongs to and who really funds operations, people, and activities.  Several national parks and forests are promoting LNT as a means to reduce impacts, such as their camping site strategies which moves away from fixed sites.  One area they do try to minimize is group size for hikes and visits, but that is pretty common sense and 100 tourists on a trail is pretty impactful to other visitors as much as the ecosystem.  

While I love open fires, I do think stoves are a good mitigation strategy for backcountry use.  Less impact to the environment.  Heck, even the twig-type stoves are beneficial as they minimize the footprint and the burned ashes are much easier to spread.  

I think we are always going to have conservancy groups pushing for the extremes of "no human use".  Where I find the LNT research beneficial is that it's actually based on science and data as it relates to soil compaction, erosion, impacts to wildlife, and defoliation, etc.  There philosophy isn't to limit activities but build strategies to minimize the negative impacts and maximize the space and resources to keep the ecosystems healthier with faster recoveries.  No kidding, you want facts and scientific research data, LNT has a ton of it...but they're also smart enough to realized that money is generated from visiting outdoor recreational areas through equipment purchases, permits/fees, and advertisement...outdoor ethics just provides some options to mitigate the impacts from use while promoting healthy practices for ecological recovery.

ROCK6
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6

I support LNT practices for a variety of reasons, and have always done so.  As you say, these practices are "common-sense", and hurt no one when they are implemented.

Where I have concerns is that some (currently fringe) elements will try to curtail usage of public lands by the general populace.  These people are few, nowadays, but they exist. Perhaps my concerns are unwarranted, but I have seen things change--sometimes radically--, and so I am nowadays less skeptical of the possibility of such changes than before.  Imagine if one told someone 30 years ago that smoking at an outdoor athletic event would someday be illegal? YMMV about this concern, of course.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top