Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2018 10:50:29 AM EDT
Hey guys, do any of you have pedal kayaks?  I have a 13ft Trident right now, but I'm wanting to step up to a pedal yak.

I have a short list so far; let me know what you think, and if you have any info/experience with these (or others) your input is welcomed!

1. Jackson Coosa FD: Love the FlexDrive!!  Seems like it will really help keep it safe from impact, and keep it running long term.  Love all of the options that are included.  Really looks like a great kayak all around.  Only negative is the $3000 price tag!  Dang...

2. Old Town Predator PDL:  Nicely equipped.  I like it, but it's a big, heavy beast, and carries a hefty price tag as well.  Figure I'd go with the Coosa if I'm already spending that much.

3. FeelFree Lure 11.5 Overdrive:  This is my leading choice right now.  I think it comes in at the lowest price point on my list (not that that is my deciding factor, just happens to be I like the yak).  I like the adjustability of the seat and the wheel-in-the-keel.  The Overdrive does look pretty hefty and more "complicated" than some of the others.  It is a little shorter than the others, but I've really been digging my wife's 10-ft Pescador lately anyway.  My Trident feels like a battleship, lol.  

4. Native Slayer Propel 13:  Honestly, looks decent, but the rudder seems a little flimsy.  Same design as the Coosa, but I worry about snapping it when loading/unloading, etc.  Not sure how adjustable the seat is.

Had the Perception Pescador Pilot 12 in the running, but after seeing the videos it just looks a bit lacking compared to the others.  Not really considering it now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 7:04:51 AM EDT
[#1]
All of those are awesome options.  Test drive them and see what one feels right.  You really can’t go wrong with any of those.

My personal pick would be a Lure.  Such an awesome boat.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All of those are awesome options.  Test drive them and see what one feels right.  You really can't go wrong with any of those.

My personal pick would be a Lure.  Such an awesome boat.
View Quote
Realistically, the Lure leads the pack for me, too.  If money were no concern, it would be the Old Town or Jackson.

Sadly, it will be none of them now.  

I forgot I made this thread...shortly after I made it my truck received a little bit of damage, and haven't thought about kayaks since.  We're going to pay for the repairs out of pocket to avoid a claim.  ~$1800 at least.  Bye bye, kayak.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry to hear man.  On the bright side, you still have a bad ass boat to float this season.  Start piling money back in the bank again and saving up.  Buy over black Friday for super cheap.

Quoted:
Realistically, the Lure leads the pack for me, too.  If money were no concern, it would be the Old Town or Jackson.

Sadly, it will be none of them now.  

I forgot I made this thread...shortly after I made it my truck received a little bit of damage, and haven't thought about kayaks since.  We're going to pay for the repairs out of pocket to avoid a claim.  ~$1800 at least.  Bye bye, kayak.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Even though I can't get one, I got to check out an Old Town Predator PDL today, as well as a FeelFree Lure 11.5 (w/o pedal).  Both really nice kayaks.  Ugh!
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Sucks to hear about the truck. Hopefully you get yourself back in the position to get a pedal drive soon. I only have experience with the slayer and I wasn't very impressed. I'm hopefully going to test drive a hobie or two soon to at least get an idea on what style of pedal drive I like. It'd be great if I was in a position to purchase one!
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The only one of those I’ve owned is the Native Slayer.  The pedal drive mechanism is a PITA to pull up when you’re beaching the kayak.

I think the Jackson is still too new. Once they get the bugs worked out it should be very nice.

Right now I’d get either a PDL or a Hobie. If any saltwater is in your plans, the Hobie is the only way to go.

If price is a big factor, look at the Jackson Cruise FD.  Or the new Hobie compass.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 7:01:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The only one of those I've owned is the Native Slayer.  The pedal drive mechanism is a PITA to pull up when you're beaching the kayak.

I think the Jackson is still too new. Once they get the bugs worked out it should be very nice.

Right now I'd get either a PDL or a Hobie. If any saltwater is in your plans, the Hobie is the only way to go.

If price is a big factor, look at the Jackson Cruise FD.  Or the new Hobie compass.
View Quote
Now that it's getting a lot warmer, the kayak will be on the back burner, even if I had a pedal.  We just put the boat in the water today for the first time this season, so that's where our time will be spent now.  

Do you know of any bugs in the Jackson yet?  Will be interesting to see how it works out for them.  That FlexDrive is slick.

Oh, by the way... since my wife wrecked my truck, I bought a new one.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#8]
The reversible Hobie Mirage drive is what has my attention.

I was out on Saturday and some dude came zipping across the bay in a Hobie. Amazingly fast.

Everything else is just a prop; the Hobie seems so much more efficient, and can tuck up for beaching it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 9:47:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Hobie PA-14 with Mirage drive. This is what you seek.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 10:12:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Hobie Outback.  Love mine and it's a good balance between stability, speed and load.  I've fished open water ( ocean), River and lake.  Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm really liking the Hobie Mirage line but I need a tandem model that can accommodate more than just two people.
I need room for a small ice chest and a couple of fishing poles at least.

I need a Tandem mirage drive fishing model.
The only mirage drive tandem besides the Island model is only 12.8 ft long. If it were 14 or 15-16 ft long it would work.

The tandem Island model is very narrow and made to be used with the outriggers.

My wife has no interest in her own kayak but will gladly ride and fish with me.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#12]
iCast is this coming week.  Should be a lot of new kayak stuff.  Pelican is releasing a model with a pedal drive that looks like Hobe’s drive.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
iCast is this coming week.  Should be a lot of new kayak stuff.  Pelican is releasing a model with a pedal drive that looks like Hobe's drive
View Quote
Yup! It's the Hobie V1 drive.  The patent expired earlier this year. Price will be $1499.99
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#14]
The new Pelican 130 pedal drive is getting great reviews at ICAST.

Pelican Catch 130 HD (HyDryve) Affordable Pedal Kayak
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 8:42:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yup! It's the Hobie V1 drive.  The patent expired earlier this year. Price will be $1499.99
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
iCast is this coming week.  Should be a lot of new kayak stuff.  Pelican is releasing a model with a pedal drive that looks like Hobe's drive
For the kayak and drive?
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Look at the new Old Town Topweater PDL.  $1999 with a free fishfinder.

Topwater PDL
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a Hobie. Really like it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Never mind watched the vid.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Look at the new Old Town Topweater PDL.  $1999 with a free fishfinder.

Topwater PDL
View Quote
The advantage of the prop style drives is instant reverse.

The advantage of the flipper style is speed and also you can instantly bring the flippers flat to the bottom of the boat for shallow conditions.  
Also you can feather the flippers and get propulsion in very shallow water.

For my use, I just need to drive system to cover water.  I'd use my paddle for reverse/maneuvering etc.

I'll probably buy one of the Pelican Catch 130s when they come out.  I have the small Catch 100 and love it.  There are some 700+ acre water shed lakes near me and the flippers would sure help getting to those back coves and returning to the ramp in a head wind at the end of a long day.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 1:44:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I was out on Saturday and some dude came zipping across the bay in a Hobie. Amazingly fast.

Everything else is just a prop; the Hobie seems so much more efficient, and can tuck up for beaching it.
View Quote
I used to scoff at Hobies with a Mirage, until last fall. Fished a tourney with guy in a ProAngler  with a Mirage.  This was a river tourney, BTW, with some class 2. :) That freaking tank took everything in stride and in long calm pool sections I could not catch him.  My Pescador Pro is one of the lightest, fastest paddle kayaks I've demo'd and I simply could not hang with him.

I can only imagine what an Outback could do with a Mirage.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 11:00:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I used to scoff at Hobies with a Mirage, until last fall. Fished a tourney with guy in a ProAngler  with a Mirage.  This was a river tourney, BTW, with some class 2. :) That freaking tank took everything in stride and in long calm pool sections I could not catch him.  My Pescador Pro is one of the lightest, fastest paddle kayaks I've demo'd and I simply could not hang with him.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want speed, forego the Outback and get a Revo...
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Well it looks like Hobie has a Mirage Pro Angler 17T now.

Tandem with duel mirage drive set up for fishing, but its $$$.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 11:44:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
For the kayak and drive?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the kayak and drive?
Yes.  $1499 MSRP.  Unless I fall into a great deal on a used Hobie, I plan to get one when they come out.  I love my Pelican Catch 100.  Great Kayak, but I need another "big" kayak for larger reservoirs and camping trips.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not familiar with a Revo.  Is it a fishing or touring?  I fish. Speed is nice, but stable is more of my need.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not familiar with a Revo.  Is it a fishing or touring?  I fish. Speed is nice, but stable is more of my need.
View Quote
Hobie Revolution is a fishing kayak built with speed and offshore use in mind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top