Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2022 7:23:24 PM EDT
When processing a squirrel, how should the spine/back area be handled?

Cutting into the spine at the base of the neck, tail and midway, cuts into the spinal cord.  If the animal has prions, wouldn’t this release them into the meat in the area?

What’s the safest way to handle the back?

Link Posted: 8/28/2022 11:59:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve been squirrel hunting since I was 5 and have never given cutting the spinal cord a second thought. I’ve killed literally hundreds or more of them and eaten every one. Not sure if it’s something to worry about. Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 11:47:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LoudLyle:
I’ve been squirrel hunting since I was 5 and have never given cutting the spinal cord a second thought. I’ve killed literally hundreds or more of them and eaten every one. Not sure if it’s something to worry about. Just my 2 cents.
View Quote

Thanks for the reply.  
If it’s not obvious, I’m new to hunting and wasn’t taught by anyone.  

So just cut it up, cook it and eat the meat off from around the spine like a chicken wing?
Or cut the meat from around the spine first and then cook it?
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 3:33:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LoudLyle] [#3]
Nothing wrong with asking questions for sure . Yep just cut them into quarters for each leg and cut the section of back out that has the two backstraps . There are many ways of cooking them. A common method is to pressure cook or instapot them briefly to make them more tender before frying. Young ones can go straight into the fryer.  Dumplings and gravy is another popular one and the internet is full of recipes.Attachment Attached File

Good luck hunting let me know how it works out.
Edit to address one of your questions. I leave the spine intact with the attached backstraps
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 4:54:04 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote
Same.  Rabbits too. Never given it a single thought.  Make sure the liver is healthy looking.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds good thanks guys!

I got one last year and fried up the spine in 2 sections and the arms and legs like chicken wings.  The family and I loved them!

Then I read about the prions in the nervous system of squirrel so I wasn’t sure if it was safe to cut into the spinal cord.

That’s all I’ve ever harvested, so hoping to do much more this season, so thank you for the help!
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:54:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I’d be dead by now if it was an issue.

Normally we stew our small game, sometimes with a deer carcass (cut up, huge pot). Use a spider and slotted spoon to get the bones out.

When frying, grilling, etc, I leave them whole, and nibble off the meat.

No reason to disassemble small game, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:17:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Where did you read about prions in squirrels?
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 10:26:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: llanero] [#8]
Originally Posted By JimTh:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JimTh:

this is what got most folks riled up:
https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/a23875340/creutzfeldt-jakob-united-states-squirrel-brains/

In 2015, a Rochester man checked into a hospital with severe memory loss, declining mental faculties, and muscle problems: all the symptoms of vCJD. A brain scan reinforced researchers’ suspicions, as the MRI looked similar to other victims of vCJD. But one question for the doctors remained: Just how did this man contract vCJD in the first place?

The answer appears to lie in his hunting habit. The man enjoyed hunting and eating animals, including squirrels, and according to the report has eaten squirrel brains at least once. It wasn’t clear from the report if the man inadvertently consumed some squirrel brain along with the rest of the squirrel or if he deliberately sought out squirrels for their delicious brain meat.

But then it was tempered by this:

https://cjdfoundation.org/research-news-links#:~:text=Since%20that%20brief%20report%2C%20there%20has%20been%20no,mammals%2C%20they%20have%20never%20been%20identified%20in%20squirrels

10/19/18 Response submitted to ProMed by the National Prion Disease Pathology Surveillance Center regarding ProMed's recent article suggesting that there is a connection between human prion disease and squirrel brain:

“The article reproduced recently in ProMed suggested that a US patient developed variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD). This diagnosis was based on MRI results that reportedly appeared similar to those of patients with variant CJD (vCJD). However, all other clinical and demographic evidence (triphasic EEG pattern, patient age, disease duration, and subsequently prion protein codon 129 genotype) strongly suggested that this was a case of sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (sCJD). Indeed, through national human prion disease surveillance, the patient was confirmed through autopsy as sCJD, not vCJD. The reporting of this case as probable vCJD – a disease linked to consumption of beef contaminated with bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE, also known as “mad cow disease”) – and suggesting that this case might be etiologically linked to squirrel consumption is inappropriate and may cause undue alarm.

“The previous ProMed commentary mentioned a 1997 Lancet report that hypothesized about a potential link between consumption of squirrel brains and CJD; there was no mention of vCJD in that report. Since that brief report, there has been no convincing evidence found suggesting that the consumption of squirrel meat, brain or otherwise, is a risk factor for any prion disease. While prion diseases have been identified in several other types of mammals, they have never been identified in squirrels. Without additional experimental or epidemiological evidence, a link between consumption of squirrel brain and human prion disease is unjustifiably speculative.”

That being said,  I've cut the spine of nearly every squirrel I've killed all my life, and will continue to do so.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 6:56:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Never gave it much thought.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 7:25:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#10]
Nothing wrong with asking questions for sure . Yep just cut them into quarters for each leg and cut the section of back out that has the two backstraps . There are many ways of cooking them. A common method is to pressure cook or instapot them briefly to make them more tender before frying. Young ones can go straight into the fryer.  Dumplings and gravy is another popular one and the internet is full of recipes.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/493363/E8650BC3-FF68-446A-AFD1-2DEA681E3BC1_jpe-2508725.JPG
Good luck hunting let me know how it works out.
Edit to address one of your questions. I leave the spine intact with the attached backstraps
View Quote

I have some soaking in buttermilk now.  Mmmm your pic looks tasty!

Mmmm I nailed the flour coating seasoning.

approx measurements

1.5 cup flour

spices ground in a mortar, the sage and rosemary must be ground up and my black pepper was too course so I ground that too.
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tsp white pepper
1.5 tsp rosemary
1.5 tsp thyme
1 tsp sage

add to the pulverized spices
1 tsp paprika
1.25 tsp onion powder
0.25 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp MSG
2 tsp salt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top