Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2018 7:12:55 PM EDT
I own a few 22's, .223's, .308, and 12 gauge shotguns.  I only have iron sites on the .22's.  Was thinking about getting a 410 gauge for small game hunting.  What do you all hunt these type of game with?

Also, I do intend to hunt with a friend that runs dogs to hunt rabbits at some point.  What should I bring for this?

We would be hunting to clean and eat these afterwards.  Not wanting to destroy the meat on them if possible.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#1]
.22 for rabbit works good up here if in thick woods.
Squirrel I sometimes use a air rifle. I guess it doesn't matter much, a well placed shot and knowledge of what's beyond the target and weather or not you wish to disintegrate the target.
I've never hunted with dogs so I wouldn't know where to begin with that
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 8:05:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Your .22 is a great one to start with. Stalk n hunt tactic and you can hunt both with your .22

For running rabbits being chased by a dog (Typically they circle) you'll want a shotgun. Your 12 will work again with the right loads. Hunting rabbits with a dog is fun, typically even if you miss the rabbit will eventually come around on or close to the same path they came on last time - fun stuff.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Hunting rabbits with beagles makes using a .22 a little difficult. I’m partial to full choke 3” .410 but some public lands won’t allow you to use toxic shot.

Steel shot through a .410 is a good way to lose rabbits, so I’d recommend moving up to a 20ga if you’re limited to non-toxic shot. Plus steel .410 is a pain to find and expensive.

ETA: Hunting rabbits with dogs is hands down the most fun hunting there is.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#4]
awesome.  Thanks guys.

Believe it or not my buck mark 22 with a can is more accurate than my 22 rifles. All with irons of course.

I'm kind of wanting an excuse to get a 410 or another smaller gauge shotty, so this should do!
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 11:48:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I grew up hunting rabbits and Squirrel with a Sears and Roebuck .410.

.410 is a good option still but I now use a 12 gauge with #6.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 11:57:08 PM EDT
[#6]
20 guage shotgun. You will miss with a .22 rifle on running game and why pay extra for .410 shells.

Accountant
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Like other have said shotgun for rabbit at least in the heavy cover I have always hunted cottontails.  Jack rabbits out west is a different thing.  I have used everything from 410 to 12 gauge.  Started with an old Single Barrel 16ga.  Moved up to an 870 12ga.  And now I mostly hunting them with a 410.  If you reload 410 is cheap and just a bit more challenging if your up for it.

Squirrels on the other hand I will hunt with either a shotgun or a 22LR rifle.  Early in the season with the leaves and nuts are still on the trees a shotgun is easier.  The only safe 22LR shots have to be straight up or into a tree trunk and this can be a challenge.  Shotguns are safer.  Late in the season though once the leaves have fallen and the nuts are on the ground a 22LR with a decent scope is the way to hunt them.  They are on the ground mostly and only go up the trees to get away from predators and to sleep so getting into and area be still and listen and shoot them as they travel by.  Move occasionally but you have to stay still or they are going to hide.

Squirrel hunting is a good way to perfect you stalk hunting for deer season.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys, good info.

Anyone see the easy way to clean squirrels on that Meateater episode?
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#9]
my Marlin model 60 with just iron sights was my go to squirrel gun for years, I tend to stick with my 10/22 now, but mostly because it has the threaded barrel for the suppressor.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:47:31 PM EDT
[#10]
As a kid, my dad taught us how to shoot by squirrel hunting with a single shot 22 lever action (Ithaca) that never ejected spent cases.  We had to pull spent case out with a knife and then reload. FIRST shot was the ONLY shot.  If I missed, target was now in the next county by the time I reloaded.  We were allowed to take a 20 gauge, but we had to pull out all the BB's if we used it.
 Along with the stick in the back tactic....he'd follow us about six feet back and poke us with a stick if we were about to step on a branch or something.  Great lessons and some of the best memories I have with my dad.  I intend to do the same with my kids.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Scoped .22 or 20ga with #6.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:27:35 AM EDT
[#12]
My favorite  is a Savage mod. 24, .22 / .410.
The misses has one in .22 mag/ 20, the magnum is a little over kill.
Only problem is what theyre going for now, $4-500
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#13]
10/22 and a 1x red dot. For rabbits.
20g semi auto, 30mm red dot, full choke for tree rats.

Cant miss, and more fun than mud wresling a midget!
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#14]
410 if the shots will be close, 20 or 12 ga if further away.  22 is fine if you are patient such as when repeatedly hunting a smaller area and willing to wait for a good shot on the ground with a good backstop.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your .22 is a great one to start with. Stalk n hunt tactic and you can hunt both with your .22

For running rabbits being chased by a dog (Typically they circle) you'll want a shotgun. Your 12 will work again with the right loads. Hunting rabbits with a dog is fun, typically even if you miss the rabbit will eventually come around on or close to the same path they came on last time - fun stuff.
View Quote
My limited experience hunting with dogs had the rabbits slow hopping well ahead of the dogs, generally visible at longer ranges, easily suited to 12 or 20 gauge shotguns.

Ive done a lot more kicking brush piles and multiflora rose patches and trying to snap shoot with a 410 before the rabbit runs 25 feet to the next patch of cover.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#16]
16ga shotgun is the only true well-heeled sportsman's choice for upland hunting.....
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#17]
17 hmr.

I recently bought a Savage A17. Feels cheap. But the action is good. The magazine sucks donkey dick. Feeder lips flex and it does not feed reliably.

If I can find a decent aftermarket mag, and then I will put a Boyds stock on it.

It is a nail driver though. And drops squirrels like magic.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:33:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Finnish Goshawk
" />

" />

" />
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I use the scoped .22 for most squirrel hunting, unless it's in the Spring or Summer and then the .410 comes out.

Spot/stalk rabbits with the .22 as well.  If you're hunting with dogs, any shotgun will do--the 12 will destroy them at close range and the .410 will be lacking for the longer shots--20 gauge loaded with 6 shot is my favorite all-round shooting-running-bunnies round.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I use .22lr for squirrels for the most part. Shotgun with #6 for rabbits as I generally hunt with beagles and they are moving.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 8:50:15 PM EDT
[#21]
22 or #4 shot. I much prefer 22, and honestly find shotgun unsportsmanlike. The closest hunting area to me is shotgun only though.

Would definitely use shot if hunting rabbit over dogs.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 12:54:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Shotguns work well, and lose energy fast at a distance if that's important in your area. Rimfire would be more of a challenge... for me too much of a challenge as my rimfires are a thousand plus miles away.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#23]
I got two big fox squirrels with a 12ga. and #5 steel shot (Illinois won't let you hunt DNR land with lead).  ~20 yards for each and the meat was almost all intact.  MAde good squirrel and dumplings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top