Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2021 10:54:27 AM EDT
Does and don'ts of this as only water source in shtf? Boil for drinking/cooking, clean enough for bathing. What else do I need to know?
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#1]
How far downstream from the source? I would drink it right at the source but not too far downstream.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How far downstream from the source? I would drink it right at the source but not too far downstream.
View Quote

4/500 yards, but could get to source, just rough terrain.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#3]
How long has the spring been producing?  It is possible that it could dry up.  However, if it has been producing steadily for the past 100 years or more, chances are pretty good that it may continue.

Link Posted: 6/8/2021 11:47:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How long has the spring been producing?  It is possible that it could dry up.  However, if it has been producing steadily for the past 100 years or more, chances are pretty good that it may continue.

View Quote

At least 40 yrs I know of. Slowed to small bubbling during a severe drought but still flowed.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Always filter,    very simple to do,  cheap also.  Why take the risk?   In a survival situation it could kill you.

I'll edit my original post,  would be fine for bathing/cooking if cooking involves boiling.

If drinking there are tons of purifying methods.  Yes you could boil but that costs alot of energy.    You could get one of the backpacking inline filters,  you can filter a gallon of water in 5 minutes.   They also last hundreds of thousands of gallons.  For even more volume,  get two 5 gallon buckets, install Berkey replacement filters in the bottom of one filtering into the other one and put a spout on the bottom one,  simple, huge volume,  on demand clean drinking water.  Everyone should have something like this.    I have about 6 different purifying methods.   I also got giardia from drinking from a clear, running spring at the source.    You don't want it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I would advise filtering but I do know some who drink directly from the stream and haven't died yet. If you plan to be there awhile I would set up a gravity filter with a large reservoir.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Use a good filter, look at a bucket filter.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#8]
A suggestion....

Look closely at the topography and the distance.  I once belonged to a hunt club with 2400 acres.  We had running water in a primitive camp:  It was spring fed.  We built a spring box to collect water at the source, and keep trash like sticks and leaves out.  Then ran  about 1500 feet of 1.5" pipe to the camp.  There was enough head (elevation) from the spring to the camp to cause some decent water pressure.  In order to prevent freezing, we terminated the pipe at the cabin by running a line into the camp and sending the main line about 10 feet up a tree, where it simply ran year round.  In winter the continual flow of water running down the pipe (and up the tree!) made for a spectacular ice formation, but the line itself never froze.  The branch line to the camp was shut off and drained....

The point is, a collection box and a few hundred feet of pipe can dramatically improve the quality of that water source.  Its just an idea...

Fro
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A suggestion....

Look closely at the topography and the distance.  I once belonged to a hunt club with 2400 acres.  We had running water in a primitive camp:  It was spring fed.  We built a spring box to collect water at the source, and keep trash like sticks and leaves out.  Then ran  about 1500 feet of 1.5" pipe to the camp.  There was enough head (elevation) from the spring to the camp to cause some decent water pressure.  In order to prevent freezing, we terminated the pipe at the cabin by running a line into the camp and sending the main line about 10 feet up a tree, where it simply ran year round.  In winter the continual flow of water running down the pipe (and up the tree!) made for a spectacular ice formation, but the line itself never froze.  The branch line to the camp was shut off and drained....

The point is, a collection box and a few hundred feet of pipe can dramatically improve the quality of that water source.  Its just an idea...

Fro
View Quote
i came here to post this....  not the tree part.

collect water and pipe to the house is the preferred method..

Filter at the house for drinking... I would use a bucket filter.
If you used a diverter line like in the quote, you could do inline filtration at your faucet.

Link Posted: 6/9/2021 7:24:39 AM EDT
[#10]
A lot could happen in 4-500 yards.  Only takes one dead little critter or passing animal leaving its dropping and piss poor timing to make you sick.  I have drank unfiltered water directly from many spring fed fresh water sources when hunting in the back country over the past decade and have never got sick.  With that said during SHTF is probably not the time to take a chance with it.  I also have a spring fed stream that goes right next to my house.  I wouldn't hesitate to use it for washing and cleaning as is but if I ever had to drink it I would boil or run it through one of my camping filters.  Same goes for any rain gutter collected water.  I am also lucky in that my deep well has an overflow that runs like a half open faucet 75% of the year.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, if you can improve it...

Spring improvement
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 9:30:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The problem with all surface springs these days is "Run off", not necessarily what comes out of the ground but what flows in from the ground.  You don't need a couple hundred yards for it to be an issue either because a couple inches will do it.  

There are two concerns with run off, one is biological and the other chemical.  What that means is to be safe we should both filter and treat the water before consumption.  Filter is to remove suspended solids based on size and treat to either neutralize or remove either or suspended solids or dissolved chemicals.  

Sounds complicated doesn't it?  Well yes it is.  I began my career treating water, first drinking water and waste water, then nuclear power plant boiler feed water.  You'd think that later one we wouldn't have to even think of but if we consider nuclear fall out as a possibility we do.  Heck someone who has a nasty mineral in their water does.  

What I can tell you is the best solution is always thinking of this in "Macro" and not rely on "One Size fits all" solutions.  I'll give you an example, almost every city water supply in this nation has different methods and standards for treating its water.  They all start in one place, which is why the guys are asking so many questions in this thread.  Its knowing you starting water quality and potential worse case.  On an open stream, any stream from a river to creek, that's normal dry weather to wet weather after a rain. Now its impractical to have a water laboratory for just in case so we should take a catch as much as we can approach.

The minimum I would recommend is a filter that is virus rated and has activated charcoal to remove most of the unwanted chemicals.  Now of course there's different ways to skin that cat.  Boiling, for example kills biologic just as adding antiseptic like iodine or chlorine and almost every refrigerator has an activated charcoal filter these days.  I'll let these guys recommend this brand vs that brand but will say there's some great inexpensive options available these days but encourage everyone not to ignore what you have on hand anyway because every option has a limited life.  For example, anyone with a modern refrigerator these days will tell you that filter does great but has to be replace in a matter of months.   Even high volume sources such as ceramics and membranes can only withstand so many cleanings.  We just had a very good thread on Berley filters and how to extend its cartridge life in storage.  

What that means to us in survival on this subject is what we must look at is time and that divided into short term solutions and long term solutions.  Surface water without constantly resupplying and monitoring like a city should always be considered a short term solution.  In some situation where resupply is not possible, we will run out of treatment methods in a matter of months not years.  That's why those of us who live in rural areas even if we have surface water have wells.  Funny as it is, probably the best tool we all have for a long term solution is a shovel.  The beauty of a well is once you cover it, run off no longer is an issue and whatever water quality we have, good or bad, will remain pretty consistent.  

I'm going to make a bold statement here which is going to be in contrast with today's norms.  I grew up drinking water from shallow stone lined wells and I'd rather have one of those that's fresh as it can be than a deep drilled well with chemicals leeching in.  That, of course, is dependent on where you live and what the geology is like and the best method to determining that is ask your neighbors because despite all our technological achievements, we still drill wells every day that ends up giving us water that's hell on wheels to make usable.  I miss those old shallow wells and often wonder we haven't made things worse.  Just yesterday my mom's neighbor asked if they could run a hose to fill his kids pool because his well water sucks so bad.  You typically don't have to deal as much with mineral deposits on a shallow wide well.  You do have to deal with rationing like in times of drought and the water table dropping.  Life and nature are a balance, solve one problem and you get another.  

This brings us to you don't need drinking water to flush a toilet or even take a bath.  During the aftermath of hurricane Alicia, my neighbors learned I had a flushing toilet.  I had a line outside my door until frustrated I went outside and told them "Look go haul your own water. There's a creek right there."  You would have thought they believed me a genius.  I probably should have added, if you gotta pee, there's a bush.  

Surface water is a very good thing to have.  All you have to do is understand its limitations.

Tj

View Quote

TJ is correct I would add the first thing is have the water tested then you know what to treat. I would also add collecting rain water to drink. Rain water might have some chemicals in it depending on the air it passed through.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 6:27:16 AM EDT
[#14]
What's the flow rate?  Also how much elevation change do you have?

You have the potential for a turbine if both are high enough
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top