Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2019 12:22:38 PM EDT
Looking for a good spotter for Elk, trying to keep it under 1K. I plan on backpacking it to do weight is somewhat of a concern.

I like Vortex scopes a lot but have no experience with their spotters. I also don’t know what power range would be best for my uses. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been down that road.  Started out with a cheaper Nikon .
No bueno.

Dropped 1200 on a leopuld.  Damn nice glass.   Had it in my pack for a couple years and rarely used it.   I end up doing all my glassing with my 10x vortex binos.   My scope is 20x60, I think. Heavy, I’m sure. Plus a good tripod, heavier.    It does get use from some trailside spots I glass from, looking cross canyon.

I’m not a horn hunter anymore, so my input is worth what you paid.
Quality binos are a must, but if you want to try and figure out if that bull way over there is a 320 or a 350, the scope will be invaluable.

The vortex bino chest harness is the tits btw.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#2]
And if you want to go scope, budget for a good tripod.   20xsomething variable is really nice, the 20 lets you find the animals, get em locked in then you can zoom in for detail.

I have the 45 degree eyepiece too, and it is much easier to use.
Good glass and a tripod will be over budget I bet.

I do think a couple game cams are more useful than a scope and tripod.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#3]
My brother has a 20-60 Vortex. Very nice scope. Decently light and great glass.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 2 vortex, an older diamondback 20-60-65 and a newer razor 27-60-85.. I am impressed on how good the diamondback is for the money..it is 90% of the razor and the razor is damn good...I would not hesitate to use the diamondback for packing around the hills...the razor is packable, but big and heavy...For the price(4bills if you hunt around) the diamondback would serve you well...

Tripod wise, I have 2 nice vortex tripods, which are nice, the heavier ones is a pro gt, the lighter is the summit...both work great but my favorite tripod is this one...It has become my go to tripod...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I1C8VGI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DVCER:
I have been down that road.  Started out with a cheaper Nikon .
No bueno.

Dropped 1200 on a leopuld.  Damn nice glass.   Had it in my pack for a couple years and rarely used it.   I end up doing all my glassing with my 10x vortex binos.   My scope is 20x60, I think. Heavy, I’m sure. Plus a good tripod, heavier.    It does get use from some trailside spots I glass from, looking cross canyon.

I’m not a horn hunter anymore, so my input is worth what you paid.
Quality binos are a must, but if you want to try and figure out if that bull way over there is a 320 or a 350, the scope will be invaluable.

The vortex bino chest harness is the tits btw.
View Quote
I’m not a horn hunter at all, you brought up a good point and I should have put that in my OP.

For me, it’s about finding meat for the freezer... having never done elk or backpack hunting I’m nervous about this choice. I don’t mind spending the gmdough but want it right the first time.

I really like the 15-45x Razor, do I need higher power? My main use will be to spot a herd and do my best at moving within shooting range.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#6]
And if you want to go scope, budget for a good tripod.   20xsomething variable is really nice, the 20 lets you find the animals, get em locked in then you can zoom in for detail.

I have the 45 degree eyepiece too, and it is much easier to use.
Good glass and a tripod will be over budget I bet.

I do think a couple game cams are more useful than a scope and tripod.
View Quote
I certainly have the game camera piece well covered, I use them a lot here in Florida. By the sounds of it you suggest the angle eye piece over a straight view? I’ve read a bunch and it seems like everyone prefers something different.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
I have 2 vortex, an older diamondback 20-60-65 and a newer razor 27-60-85.. I am impressed on how good the diamondback is for the money..it is 90% of the razor and the razor is damn good...I would not hesitate to use the diamondback for packing around the hills...the razor is packable, but big and heavy...For the price(4bills if you hunt around) the diamondback would serve you well...

Tripod wise, I have 2 nice vortex tripods, which are nice, the heavier ones is a pro gt, the lighter is the summit...both work great but my favorite tripod is this one...It has become my go to tripod...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I1C8VGI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View Quote
Do you ever put your rifle on that?
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 10:30:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#8]
Originally Posted By SecurityForcesmember:

I’m not a horn hunter at all, you brought up a good point and I should have put that in my OP.

For me, it’s about finding meat for the freezer... having never done elk or backpack hunting I’m nervous about this choice. I don’t mind spending the gmdough but want it right the first time.

I really like the 15-45x Razor, do I need higher power? My main use will be to spot a herd and do my best at moving within shooting range.
View Quote
In that case, just some really good 10x binos would work well....

Elk are not that hard to spot, even over a mile off with good binos.

If you really want a scope, that razor looks nice.  The angled eye piece is just personal preference, but it sure keeps me from getting a sore neck.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 11:13:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#9]

Do you ever put your rifle on that?
View Quote
Yes, it will go right on it...Haven't used it in a hunting situation though...My chassis came with the Arca-Swiss rail cut right in, but it would be easy to mount an arca-swiss rail to any stock..The tripod has zero issue with holding the rifle...

Attachment Attached File

OP, this is from my razor, this has to be over 1.5 miles away..

Attachment Attached File

This is the moose I shot at 720 yards..
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 12:20:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ruin] [#10]

In that case, just some really good 10x binos would work well....

Elk are not that hard to spot, even over a mile off with good binos.

If you really want a scope, that razor looks nice.  The angled eye piece is just personal preference, but it sure keeps me from getting a sore neck.
View Quote
Gotcha, appreciate the input. I have a nice enough pair of bino's from Vortex but I would like the spotter just in case I come across a couple bulls with an either sex tag, I think I'll snag an angled 15-45x pending a little more reading...

You wouldn't happen to be near Colorado Springs, would you? Just saw your Army star...
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 12:31:44 AM EDT
[#11]
@AKSnowRider

IM sent
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 12:45:16 AM EDT
[#12]
These are what l bought a few years ago.

Leupold Mojave 10x42 binoculars

A couple seasons ago l came across a couple bulls on the other side of the canyon.  The first one was only a 3 point,  need 4 or more to be legal in Colorado.  He might have had a short fourth point l couldn't make out so l waited. I knew there was a much bigger bull in there somewhere.  We saw his backside the afternoon before.

Eventually a bigger bull came along, but not the big one.  He was one of those big ones everyone wants.   He just wouldn't show his head the afternoon we saw him.  Anyways I could easily count 5 points on the second bull.   I shot him at  around 325 yards.  He had a small 6th point on one antler.

These are very nice binos that are light enough to pack and yet bright and clear.  I would consider these to be pretty much the bottom of what you are looking for.   They would be great for finding cows where you're not having to count points.

I paid something like $329 - $349 at Cabela's for them so you can get a good deal below MSR. Look for something in the same msr range and then shop for the best retail price.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Bumblebee_Bob:
These are what l bought a few years ago.

Leupold Mojave 10x42 binoculars

A couple seasons ago l came across a couple bulls on the other side of the canyon.  The first one was only a 3 point,  need 4 or more to be legal in Colorado.  He might have had a short fourth point l couldn't make out so l waited. I knew there was a much bigger bull in there somewhere.  We saw his backside the afternoon before.

Eventually a bigger bull came along, but not the big one.  He was one of those big ones everyone wants.   He just wouldn't show his head the afternoon we saw him.  Anyways I could easily count 5 points on the second bull.   I shot him at  around 325 yards.  He had a small 6th point on one antler.

These are very nice binos that are light enough to pack and yet bright and clear.  I would consider these to be pretty much the bottom of what you are looking for.   They would be great for finding cows where you're not having to count points.

I paid something like $329 - $349 at Cabela's for them so you can get a good deal below MSR. Look for something in the same msr range and then shop for the best retail price.
View Quote
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep an open mind.

I'm so damn excited to finally get to hunt elk and mule deer. Nervous but excited!
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I have Mojave 10X42 as well. No complaints.

My spotter is a Vanguard 65mm. Good enough, waaaay better than what I had in the past, but they are a hassle to carry around. I use it on points I can walk to from the truck. They really are a solid option. I hear the 82 is even better but a beast.

Since we are spending your money you should just buy Swarovski binos and spotter. Really. Or just 10X42  binos and never look back..
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:04:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I ended up grabbing the tripod AKSnowRider recommended and a 15-45x Viper. Looking forward to trying it out. I have a the Vortex Diamondback 10X bino's, sounds like I may want to upgrade them at some point.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:11:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I ended up grabbing the tripod AKSnowRider recommended and a 15-45x Viper. Looking forward to trying it out. I have a the Vortex Diamondback 10X bino's, sounds like I may want to upgrade them at some point.
View Quote
I have a set  of diamond backs in 12x50..buddy's have leicas and a set of swavorski's..don't be so quick to change out the diamondbacks..they are not equals, but they are not far behind, and if I need to look at something closer then the binocs..the spotting scope is coming out anyway..
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:06:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a set  of diamond backs in 12x50..buddy's have leicas and a set of swavorski's..don't be so quick to change out the diamondbacks..they are not equals, but they are not far behind, and if I need to look at something closer then the binocs..the spotting scope is coming out anyway..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Agreed.  Don't be so quick to discount the Diamondbacks.  My nephew has a pair and they are decent.   Especially since you already have them and are now teaming them up with a decent spotting scope.

Good luck and have lots of fun!
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Agreed.  Don't be so quick to discount the Diamondbacks.  My nephew has a pair and they are decent.   Especially since you already have them and are now teaming them up with a decent spotting scope.

View Quote
Jimmy had some 10x diamondbacks on the counter last year at A pawn.  I looked thru them and bought em on the spot.  Great spare binos.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
Cool, I’ll hold onto them than. In all honesty I really liked them anyway for hunting in Florida. Let’s me count points on a buck and look into tree lines without pointing a rifle all over the place.

I have the best wife ever, she’s cleared me hot to purchase whatever I need to get elk season ready.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Jimmy had some 10x diamondbacks on the counter last year at A pawn.  I looked thru them and bought em on the spot.  Great spare binos.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I never walk into Jimmy's unless l plan on walking out with something.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Viper Hd came in today, it seems amazing. I’m very happy based off 30 minutes of dicking with it.

The tripod comes in tomorrow so I’m be playing with it more and testing it in low light. Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I just purchased a Leupold golden ring 15-30x50mm.  It seems pretty light and good image for it's size.  I've just looked around the house with it and the last time i went elk hunting was 2012.  They run $400 to $450.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top