Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2021 4:51:07 PM EDT
In my state, you can't bring in firewood from outside a 10 mile radius because of emerald ash borer. So you either bring in lumber scrap, or buy local wood

Often, the local wood isn't split small enough.
What would you use in lieu of a splitting stump? 2x lumber often splits with the force. Maybe laminate a couple of pieces cross grain? Other ideas?
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Usually just sit it on the ground.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a 2 ft length of telephone pole that I screwed a piece of old web strap on the side as handle. It's not the lightest item but it also serves as a foot rest or side table.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ve had good luck with a splitting hatchet and rubber mallet to drive it. I use rocks or the ground. Cheap hatchet so if it hits rocks and gets dull it’s no real loss.

I often pony up for split wood if there’s a camp store though, it’s worth it
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I brought in packing wood from my works aluminum bundles and had great fun showing my grandson how to split it .

I brought a hatchet and was lucky enough to fine a tree stump right the porch of our rental cabin .

He likes the movie Shining and commented that we were “ correcting “ the wood .

What a hoot .
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#5]
What the world needs is a log splitter attachment for electric trailer jacks.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a small 2' step ladder that I carry because my wife can't reach the cabinets in the outdoor kitchen.

I usually just set the wood on top of that and cut with a sawzall.

Can you even buy unsplit wood?
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, it's often the smaller logs, OR they only split larger logs in half, not quarters or even smaller.
Seems to be better at state parks with firewood sales, but the county park we stayed at in June had a lot of small logs and big chunks.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, it's often the smaller logs, OR they only split larger logs in half, not quarters or even smaller.
Seems to be better at state parks with firewood sales, but the county park we stayed at in June had a lot of small logs and big chunks.
View Quote

When I'm feeling really lazy I'll use a little but of charcoal and wood chunks from Home Depot (made for smoking).
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Split it like this

Sorry I can’t read sometimes. I’d use another piece of firewood laid sideways as a stump in place of the log in the photo I posted

https://paulkirtley.co.uk/2017/small-wood-splitting-axe/

Link Posted: 7/14/2021 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What the world needs is a log splitter attachment for electric trailer jacks.
View Quote

I like your style.

I just bring along a sharp hatchet and use it to split off some small pieces for kindling.  Once the fire is going good, logs under 6" diameter will burn nicely if they are seasoned.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#11]
You really don’t need a stump if you have strong wrists and are good at flick splitting wood. Watch this:

splitting wood ,saving out your axe
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Esee 6 or Junglass and baton that shit.

No kidding

It works better than an axe, is quieter and safer IMO.

Link Posted: 7/18/2021 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Firewood splitter

That and a small sledge should make quick work of smaller logs.

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 3:24:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 5:07:32 AM EDT
[#16]

I actually use this like every week in the summer. Works well and keeps me from swinging an ax/hatchet around my kids as we prep s’mores fires.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 1:23:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Camp axe and the ground.  Sorry to say this (not really), but anyone who can't split wood like this is better off not splitting wood at all.  (Full disclosure: I heated my house with wood for 10+ years, cutting wood every weekend during the fall and winter months to do so.  I've used powered splitters, splitting mauls, sledge and wedges, and regular axes to split firewood.  If you can't use a regular axe for 99% of what you would encounter at a campground, you just don't have enough experience to know what is possible with an axe.)
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#18]
This is the answer you seek.  It works great, soon as my buddy borrowed it at camp, he went straight home and ordered one.
On Amazon for $45.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top