Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I should also mention that you do not need to spend big money for a top quality axe or maul. A standard axe from 50 years ago is just as good as a boutique Sweedish axe. Seek the Fatcat Axe thread
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 11:16:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where in VA?
I may hav an extra maul in my stash
View Quote
@doc_Zox

Sorry for missing this. I.m. sent
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 11:22:05 PM EDT
[#3]
To everyone helping:

My sincere apologies. I have this thread subscribed with email alert and I saw nothing. So I had assumed that it was over.

That was on me.

I am on a budget (fairly tight at that). That is part of the reason for the need of a good warranty.

I saw a few recommendations and I will see what I can find in regard to those. I am or should say, was, concerned of the "I will get what I pay for".

A sledge hammer would be nice as well, but next year is a weed eater. This year was a chainsaw (hit hard) and either an ax or maul.

I really do appreciate the info. Again, I meant no disrespect for missing this thread.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:49:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Unless you live in an area of the country where you are heating primarily with soft, straight grained wood like spruce or aspen that splits easily with an axe, get a maul.  An axe is going to just bite into the most mixed hardwood rounds and get stuck, especially if there are any knots.  Fortunately for your tight budget, maul quality is less important than axe quality.  Really, any maul will do.  They don't need to be razor sharp, nor can they be with with their blunt angle.  When the edge gets too rounded, just grind a new edge.  You can go the fiberglass handle route that will be less likely to break than a wood handle, or just go the wooden handle route.  You can wrap a wooden handle just below the head with some wet rawhide or paracord to provide a little protection.  If it does break, just pick up a new handle and rehaft it.  You can probably find a used maul at a flea market for literally a few bucks, alongside of old shovels and garden rakes.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:55:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Make sure you keep a flat file in your back pocket to keep it very sharp. Helps a ton
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#6]
https://thewalletgenius.com/best-splitting-maul-2017/
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Unless you live in an area of the country where you are heating primarily with soft, straight grained wood like spruce or aspen that splits easily with an axe, get a maul.  An axe is going to just bite into the most mixed hardwood rounds and get stuck, especially if there are any knots.  Fortunately for your tight budget, maul quality is less important than axe quality.  Really, any maul will do.  They don't need to be razor sharp, nor can they be with with their blunt angle.  When the edge gets too rounded, just grind a new edge.  You can go the fiberglass handle route that will be less likely to break than a wood handle, or just go the wooden handle route.  You can wrap a wooden handle just below the head with some wet rawhide or paracord to provide a little protection.  If it does break, just pick up a new handle and rehaft it.  You can probably find a used maul at a flea market for literally a few bucks, alongside of old shovels and garden rakes.
View Quote
I use a variety of trees. I have had some soft and some hard and it really depends on what I can get my hands on at the time. I am leaning toward maul for this very reason. It doesn't matter what I am hitting...I will get through it. That is a good idea about going to a flea market. May be something I will look at as soon as I can. However, some of the markets in my area...it is actually the same price as buying new .
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:58:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Make sure you keep a flat file in your back pocket to keep it very sharp. Helps a ton.
View Quote
Thank you. That is a good point to heed. I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://thewalletgenius.com/best-splitting-maul-2017/
View Quote
Thank you. There is a lot of good information on this.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
To everyone helping:

My sincere apologies. I have this thread subscribed with email alert and I saw nothing. So I had assumed that it was over.

That was on me.

I am on a budget (fairly tight at that). That is part of the reason for the need of a good warranty.

I saw a few recommendations and I will see what I can find in regard to those. I am or should say, was, concerned of the "I will get what I pay for".

A sledge hammer would be nice as well, but next year is a weed eater. This year was a chainsaw (hit hard) and either an ax or maul.

I really do appreciate the info. Again, I meant no disrespect for missing this thread.
View Quote
If you are worried about longevity then get the monster maul. I've been using one my dad got in the '70s my entire life with no issues. Another buddy has one that dates from that era too. They really don't seem to need to be sharpened very often either. It is the only thing I have ever used to split wood and I have never had any desire to own a log splitter.

Maybe see if they have any used monster mauls on ebay.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Most of the inexpensive mails have a pretty blunt "blade" and need significant grinding to become useful tool.  Mauls are not blunt force instruments,  they're a sharp, heavy wedge with a handle.

The Husqvarna mail is nice enough but I prefer the Stihl Pro Splitting maul.
https://m.stihlusa.com/WebContent/Images/Product/2606/prosplitmaul.png?preset=Product.ProductDetails
It runs about $100 but has a nice warranty and a metal collar to protect the shaft.

Stihl does have a $50 mail that's perfectly serviceable and sharp, but I prefer the Pro model.
https://m.stihlusa.com/WebContent/Images/Product/2609/woodsplitmaul.png?preset=Product.ProductDetails

ETA:
Wood helps absorb some of the shock to your hands which is important if you use it a lot.   Hickory is strongest and best suited for this application; the Pro model uses a Hickory handle while the standard uses Ash.
View Quote
The worst for me were steel pipe handled heavy mauls, clank onto a white oak and rattle your teeth.  
I like a splitting axe in the woods for the quick and easy stuff (speed kills).  A maul to bust up the rest of the "doables", then rent a splitter for the weekend and finish up
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you are worried about longevity then get the monster maul. I've been using one my dad got in the '70s my entire life with no issues. Another buddy has one that dates from that era too. They really don't seem to need to be sharpened very often either. It is the only thing I have ever used to split wood and I have never had any desire to own a log splitter.

Maybe see if they have any used monster mauls on ebay.
View Quote
I have heard of them. Not sure where I saw it but I saw that there was something about them. Sharp edge retainability maybe? I don't know.

I will look into it though. Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The worst for me were steel pipe handled heavy mauls, clank onto a white oak and rattle your teeth.  
I like a splitting axe in the woods for the quick and easy stuff (speed kills).  A maul to bust up the rest of the "doables", then rent a splitter for the weekend and finish up
View Quote
I know! Did that twice. Since then I learned my stance and distance.

I borrowed a splitter and went to town on that. Still took me three months to do.

Needless to say, I had an AWESOME wood fence wrapping around my property .

Until winter hit .
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I borrowed a splitter and went to town on that. Still took me three months to do.

Until winter hit .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until winter hit .
Umm....If it's an outside furnace, just jump in front of a train
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Umm....If it's an outside furnace, just jump in front of a train
View Quote

No, it is an inside furnace.

Guess I should be totally honest, gave three truck loads to others who didn't have the ability to get any wood. So, it wasn't totally me burning it off.

It was a fairly cold winter and my stove was running hard. I have another pile of wood growing but evrytime I think I can get to it, it starts raining.

If that was all, I would work in it...just, I may be allergic to lightening .
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Just a LOOOOOOOOONG update. Yesterday I was asked about returning the Maul that I was borrowing.

Decided it was time. I did some more looking and decided to just go and get a Maul.

Got the Fiskars 8lb IsoCore splitting Maul. Then spent four hours yesterday splitting and stacking!

It is real nice.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top