Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2020 10:01:42 PM EDT
Should the seed be just scattered about and left alone, or would it have a better chance if covered?

This past week I dug out and graded my rifle range. I need to plant grass. The dirt is still soft, so if need be I can rake in after spreading.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 10:05:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Best if you can cover the seed that you plant with dirt.  If you just sow it on the ground very small percentage will sprout.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Rake it in and straw it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rake it in and straw it.
View Quote

Small seed like rye just needs roller packed or light covering of straw and crimped in.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately, it rained after I smoothed it out. When it dries some, I'll grade it again before seeding. Then, I think my dethatcher should cover most of the seeds.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 11:10:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Shouldn’t the DeThatching be done before seeding?
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 11:17:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Huh? What connection does dethatching have to seeding?
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

The area I seeded has no vegetation. All loose dirt. After seeding I used the dethatcher to help cover the seeds.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 1:22:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I drug some tires that had been attached to form a couple of rows like 12' wide or so when I seeded my dam.  If you have some way to drag a chain over the planting it will help especially if you have rain in the forecast.  Best if you have a little bit 1/4" of dirt over the seed.  Years ago we used 2 4 wheelers and drug a load chain between us.  It worked well.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#9]
If it is rough dirt just sow it and water it in.  If it has smooth hard pack you need to rake it before you sow it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 2:04:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Most of the loose dirt went in the berm and leveling the road in. I dumped a couple loader bucket fulls of soil in the center and spread it with a grader box. The dethatcher covered a lot of the seed, and then it rained over the weekend. Hopefully, they'll take.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:50:01 AM EDT
[#11]
If the grass doesn't take, try some clover instead or grab a bag of the instant deer plot seed mix.

Some legumes and brassica will sprout better/faster this time of year than fescue, especially on poor soil.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top