Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2018 12:23:29 PM EDT
On Monday (11/26/18) I decided to set up another tree stand on the property near three large oak trees with plenty of sign around.  Beside the oak trees I discovered a rub line on some small pine trees along the property line fence leading away from the oak trees.  I put up an old Loggy Bayou climbing stand with some climbing stick ladder steps and additionally secured the stand with a ratchet strap as it is the old steel band type.

On Tuesday afternoon (11/27/18) I thought I’d try out the stand for the first time.  I managed to get situated in the stand around 3:45 PM.  I saw a couple of hen turkeys’ wonder by and later on a few raccoons getting down from their trees and wander around the oak trees. The sunset was at 5:30 PM and since the canopy in the woods is thick light was fading fast.  At 5:40 I noticed some motion behind one of the oak trees and caught a glimpse of a deer with some horns.  He wandered out to the property line fence along the trail and walked into a small opening in the trees just showing his neck and not the rest of his body.  I scoped him out with the Redfield 2x7 which is mounted on my Marlin 45-70 GBL and the buck made the zone criteria of at least 3 points on one side..

I made a snap decision and shot as light was at a premium and took a neck shot which I usually don’t take.  The impact on the 9 point buck was tremendous and knocked him against the fence where he instantly died. The rifle is overkill I know but has become my woods favorite as I shot it twice this year and have two deer in the freezer.

I ended up putting the deer in the shed for the night as the coyotes are frequent visitors to the area.

Link Posted: 12/3/2018 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats. 45-70 fan also. Took a doe here in Ohio Last week with my Henry 45-70. Compact little gun that packs one hell of a wallop. Think the doe was dead before it even hit the ground. Third deer with this gun, didn't track a single one.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#2]
45-70 is the perfect close range seer gun as far as I’m concerned.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:39:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice buck !
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice!
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top