Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2020 9:58:50 PM EDT
Seems pretty cool.  Weather is rainy, so I don't feel like trying it out right now.

Anybody used one before?  I like the charcoal option!

As you can see, I also got a smaller stove and an alcohol burner.  I used top have an Ecobit, but I like the bigger size and biomass option.

So: Can I use the alcohol burner in the Ecozoom?  I'm worried about excessive temps that would melt the little can or offgassing/BLVE danger.

Also, can I use the aluminum pots over the Ecozoom?  Again, I'm concerned about temps- don't want to warp or melt anything.  I  have cast iron stuff I'll probably use anyway.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:45:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I gotta take a look at that ecothing.  Wood burner I guess?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Wood, cow poop, charcoal...  The loading door is maybe 2 inches high and 4 inches wide, so you can stuff some broomstick sized kindling in there.

The website is kinda eco-preachy but makes some good points.  Amazon has decent prices and there's good YT vids.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:30:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Tagging

Pretty cool for just over $100. Looks like they’re sold out though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#4]
You're gonna need one to get through the Wu Flu!  At night,  when the funeral pyres for the dead light up the sky, you'll be eating like a king!
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're gonna need one to get through the Wu Flu!  At night,  when the funeral pyres for the dead light up the sky, you'll be eating like a king!
View Quote
I was thinking that would be an awful slow way to dispose of a body!!

Doc
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been studying the Solo stoves...  Thoughts on them?  I have the Bonfire fire pit, but the small stoves look nice too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 7:37:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I admit I haven't even fired mine up yet; been busy with other preps.  

I did see a cool YT video about a guy who put some hardware cloth over the botton grate and got good results with a handful of wood stove pellets.

I am going to make a little basket out of coat hangar wire and 1/4 inch mesh. I have 300+ lbs. available to me.  

There seems to be a stainless ChiCom stove that runs 30ish bucks and gets decent reviews on YT, but I question it's ultimate durability.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've been studying the Solo stoves...  Thoughts on them?  I have the Bonfire fire pit, but the small stoves look nice too.
View Quote

I have the lite and the titan, work as they should and really do get roaring.
My GSI 1.8L boiler had no problem obtaining and sustaining a rolling boil while making crawdads at Seneca Rocks.
If I have the option to use them I usually do.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have the lite and the titan, work as they should and really do get roaring.
My GSI 1.8L boiler had no problem obtaining and sustaining a rolling boil while making crawdads at Seneca Rocks.
If I have the option to use them I usually do.
View Quote
@ScaryGary
Thanks.  Considering splurging on a set with my REI 20% coupon and dividend.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 9:41:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@ScaryGary
Thanks.  Considering splurging on a set with my REI 20% coupon and dividend.
View Quote

That's a pretty decent deal.  In stock?  Good delivery times?  Fo!
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought an Ecozoom Plancha double burner a couple years back.  I've tested it and played with it a handful of times.  My experience in using it with gathered wood is that it is not as easy to keep lit as you might expect.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:32:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Using pellet stove pellets is a great option!  I used 1/4" hardware cloth to tighten up the grate; very few pellets fell through.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#13]
This is a small handfull burning quite well.  Lit the pile with a propane torch until a few were blackened and let the rest catch.  Got kinda smokey for a minute,  then the magic happened.  Burned very well for 10 min. or so, then the embers went out- very little ash.  

Dropped a small handful on the embers for a re-light at that point.  Got VERY smokey for a minute,  then woosh!  Fire came back and grew just as before.

I now have a standard 40 lb. bag in 2 Homer buckets with regular lids.  Might get a Gamma lid as I hate fighting the regular lids. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I have been looking at hobo Ikea and walmart stoves. I build the walmart canister one this week.
This will be my next purchase.
https://siegestoves.com/
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Oh that's pretty cool!  Might get those crossmembers- I think I could use them on one of my propane grills.  Good find man!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top