Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2021 10:38:20 AM EDT
I want to register it, but I don’t know the manufacture, model, or year it was made. Perhaps someone here can at least shoot me in a direction. I have found a HIN on it, definitely pre-72, I’d say. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I have done this a few times in PA, including this year. I was able to print out the documents on line and mail them in.

Here in PA there's a big distinction between boats with a 12 digit HIN and those without. Yours looks like it is "without".

I looks like it has a previous registration.  Here, in that case, it's pretty easy to register the boat by providing the existing registration #, the hull #, a bill of sale or receipt and paying the sales tax.

If it was never registered before it takes a few more steps, like providing photos of all 4 sides.

That looks like it was a rental boat or belonged to a resort or camp.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/watercraft/index.html

I started my latest title / registration in January and received it yesterday "due to covid". If I was doing it over - I would have gone to a boat dealer or title transfer place and done it through them. Then I would have a temporary registration and stickers while I waited on the state.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an Oldtown 17' canoe that looks fairly close to that, flat bottom two seats two reinforcing bars. Go with that name, it's as good as any.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:22:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Might be a Grumman. But there are several dissimilarities from the old 17' that I had.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#6]
If it is aluminum I would start with Gruman ?

If that number is the reg # your state might be able to back trace it.

I bought a older Boston Whaler skiff from a clueless guy. Early whalers had a painted hull # and the whole boat had been painted over several times. The previous owner
had lost all the paperwork but the boat still had stickers (registration) on it. Here in CT boat stuff is handled by dep of motor vehicles and with the guys name on my bill of sale and the old regisration number that matched the guys name I was good to go. Turned out it was a 1966!
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 2:36:55 PM EDT
[#7]
The two panels at the bow and stern, anything on them?  Grumman used to have a big "G" on some of them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The two panels at the bow and stern, anything on them?  Grumman used to have a big "G" on some of them.
View Quote

No, I don’t see anything like that. Im probably just gonna call it a Grumman for registration purposes. However, I’m still gonna seek out what it actually is for my own purposes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#9]
After a careful look at the photos I'm sure that's an Alumacraft. That's their signature cast aluminum piece on the bow. I spent a lot of my younger life in one of those.

There are holes in the bulkhead where the nameplate should be (under those stamped numbers). I would guess that one is from the 60's or early 70s.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:39:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I’m still trying to figure out why a canoe has to be registered?   I figured NY found a way to tax everything, but they somehow missed this income stream?
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I’m still trying to figure out why a canoe has to be registered?   I figured NY found a way to tax everything, but they somehow missed this income stream?
View Quote

I was wondering the same thing.  What kind of commie government registered a non-powered boat?  Under (IIRC) 5hp and you don't have to register it here and I don't have any paperwork on my kayaks or canoe; heck, my brother didn't have to register his 24' sailboat because he only had a small outboard on it.  No registration or plates on small trailers either.  It amazes me what some states get away with.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Minnesota allows you to register "home built" water craft. Just do that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:39:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
After a careful look at the photos I'm sure that's an Alumacraft. That's their signature cast aluminum piece on the bow. I spent a lot of my younger life in one of those.

There are holes in the bulkhead where the nameplate should be (under those stamped numbers). I would guess that one is from the 60's or early 70s.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Bam!
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:41:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I was wondering the same thing.  What kind of commie government registered a non-powered boat?  Under (IIRC) 5hp and you don't have to register it here and I don't have any paperwork on my kayaks or canoe; heck, my brother didn't have to register his 24' sailboat because he only had a small outboard on it.  No registration or plates on small trailers either.  It amazes me what some states get away with.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Minnesota will also tax the sale of a used car between private parties. I love Minnesota, I despise the state.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:29:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Canoes are registered in N.Y. only if they are going to be motorized . Size  or sideboard matters not  . Not sure if that includes electrics , it may now as there have been advances in battery technology and thus ' thrust HP ' .
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Like old canoes and kayaks.. so just in for that.. But also, here in KY, if ain't motorized, it doesn't need a registration.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#19]
On a Grumman the keel rivets are about a half inch spacing where all other aluminum
canoes I've seen had much larger spacing between rivets on the keel.

Things like that is what made Grummans the more expensive aluminum canoes
back in the day.

Link Posted: 7/2/2021 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Check with your state. Each state will be different on how to register a boat.

Her is how Missouri does things (or did). I had bought an old 12' Jon boat that was missing all identification markings. I had to have it inspected by law enforcement (Conservation Agent in my case). They will look for any markings along with if it is possibly stolen or not. If everything checks out, they will fillet and sign a form that is sent into the Department of Revenue. The Mo Dept of Revenue then will send a metal plate with a state issued serial number stamped in it to attached to the boat. I had to do the same with an old 3hp Eska outboard motor too.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 9:37:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Canoes are registered in N.Y. only if they are going to be motorized . Size  or sideboard matters not  . Not sure if that includes electrics , it may now as there have been advances in battery technology and thus ' thrust HP ' .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Electric motors on small craft still need to be registered in NY.    

Motorized is motorized.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 9:42:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Motorized is motorized.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm still trying to figure out why a canoe has to be registered?   I figured NY found a way to tax everything, but they somehow missed this income stream?

Motorized is motorized.

Most states are that way.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Who in the heck registers canoes?
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 10:21:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Yup, except in Michigan I don't have to register my 16' Grumman canoe w/o motor
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm leaning towards the c16 alumacraft

Link Posted: 7/4/2021 11:35:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Who in the heck registers canoes?
View Quote
Some states require canoes to be registered, especially if yo use any type of motor on them. Here in Missouri, you don't have to register a canoe or kayak if it you never intend to put a motor on it. As soon as you so much as install an electric trolling motor or gas  outboard, then they must be registered.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Gotta love the "free-est" country in the world, where you have to register a human-powered watercraft, just so the government can collect more taxes.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I scored a free 16ft canoe with fiberglass damage, easily repaired. Replacing seats, going to rhino line inside, do a few other improvements.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 2:06:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Would Hillary get in trouble for an unregistered boat?  An unpowered boat is the same as an effing log floating in the water.  Frigging commie Minnesota.  Sorry, man.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Had to register my 13.5' kayak this year in Iowa(< or = to 13' no registration required).  I bought it online(no sales tax required) in 2015 in neighboring state (resident at that time) that didnt require registration.

Had to pay sales tax on it this year when i registered it as well......SIX f*cking years after I bought it.

Knowing what I know now I should have just doctored up a bill of sale.

I asked a friend why he registered his 10.5' kayak.  He hoped by registering and having the ID on kayak it would discourage theft.  

I just laughed and said, "yeah right"  ????

We can't use the kings water without paying our way.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#31]
You have to register canoes?  Back home, man powered craft do not require registration.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top