Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2020 5:35:22 AM EDT
I've always wondered why it isn't illeagal to bait deer, It seems like its cheating, especially the way it is typically portrayed on television, the deer stand placed strategically between three different feeders, and the hunters sit and talk until some giant buck who's been fed antler growth products his whole life walks up for his morning meal, and gets shot.
Just curious how the rest of you feel on this subject, do you hunt this way? or not?
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 5:40:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 5:59:58 AM EDT
[#2]
It's illegal here.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 7:23:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ve often wondered why people figure out where deer eat, drink and sleep.  Then set up on the deer trails where the deer are  going from sleeping, eating and drinking.  Get into a tree to elevate and conceal themselves over a farmers corn field.  Then use chemicals to block there scent.  They wear camo that looks like the tree they are hiding  in.  Finally use a high powered rifle, with a scope, or bow and range finder for distance.

These people then ask how can somebody sit in a stand 120 yards away from a corn feeder and wait.

Stand/feeder hunting is usually because the cover is to heavy without some foliage removal and blinds set up in shooting lanes.  Without it you’d never see the whitetale deer before they see/hear/smell you.

Personally, I prefer spot and stalk hunting over stand/feeder hunting. But there are parts of the country where you’d not be successful unless you stand/feeder (food plot) hunt.

It’s like the high fence argument.  People should try hunting on 10K acres high fence and tell me how the petting zoo hunt was so easy....;)

Everybody has something they look for or get out of hunting.  Not everybody wants the same thing. Thankfully there are more game and ways to hunt them in NA than I’ll be able to do in my lifetime.

Link Posted: 9/24/2020 7:27:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Why does it hurt your feels to use nature?  

Should we be more human/sporting and set the county on fire and run all the deer off a cliff like the noble savages did?
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 7:36:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Baiting deer is bs and takes no skill. These people dont want to hunt, they just want to lure things in and kill it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 7:37:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Stand hunting is very successful in Midwest farm country.  I've shot countless deer and its still hunting, no need to spot and stalk when there are so many deer and so much food around.

Baiting is banned in much of Michigan due to CWD.

Hunting on my buddies farm, the goal is to take large mature deer, I have shot way more does than bucks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 7:39:13 AM EDT
[#7]
2020 7 posts.......check

Meat bad.  Hunting shows real life.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 8:55:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Baiting is now legal in AL. If you were the only one doing it, it might be considered unfair, but now,  everyone is doing it. All over the state.  Bigger deer, but not the advantage it used to be...

We bought the license, but didn't see any significant changes in deer habit by feeding. We hunt in the mountains and hardwood. St. Clair County is tough hunting!
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Why do you care OP? Is someone stealing the deer off your property or are you jealous of social media photos?
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I remember when baiting was first allowed in MI.  I hated the idea of baiting and refused to play as I preferred to scout my intended AO.  After several unsuccessful seasons it became clear that no venison would reach my table without using defensive baiting, which I employed.  My success rate improved and blackstrap was back on the menu.  

I acknowledge things are different now, with both herd health and management priorities.  Still, scouting, not baiting, is my preferred hunting style.  Please note that I’m not criticizing those that do bait, but have to wonder how steep the learning curve would be if we all had to do it the “old fashion way” again

Link Posted: 9/24/2020 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Depends. Are you out there to hunt or manage the deer populations?

I wouldn’t consider baiting hunting but if you need to manage the populations I’m okay with it.

Link Posted: 9/24/2020 6:34:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Huge bucks are not any easier to kill using bait than otherwise (and I hunt public land and don't bait deer). They don't get to be huge bucks by being stupid.

Most of the time when a huge buck gets killed over bait, it's because the bait/feeder happens to be placed close to buck bedding or doe bedding during the rut. In other words, the feeder is somewhere the buck already wants to be.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 9:55:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 11:07:54 PM EDT
[#14]
We hunt over feeders here in Texas. Very common. Hardly any public land, so unless you can afford several hundred acres or have a lot of family land, you won’t do much spot and stalk hunting. Small family plots or leases are very common and feeders are a reliable way of getting deer into your property if you don’t have many natural attractants to deer.

Our family only has a 40 acre hay field with a feeder on it and another 80 acres that had cattle on it for the last 30 years or so. With the land being so flat and/or so wooded, feeders are highly useful for getting meat in the freezer. Maybe not required, but a useful tool that is widely accepted in this part of the country. Deer population is only going up, so it’s not like we are hunting them to extinction with feeders.

It’s just another way of doing things. No need to throw stones.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 6:38:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Hunt the way you hunt. Let others do the same.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 4:29:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Huge bucks are not any easier to kill using bait than otherwise (and I hunt public land and don't bait deer). They don't get to be huge bucks by being stupid.

Most of the time when a huge buck gets killed over bait, it's because the bait/feeder happens to be placed close to buck bedding or doe bedding during the rut. In other words, the feeder is somewhere the buck already wants to be.
View Quote

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

For that matter young bucks and doe are about the only thing easy to kill with a timed feeder.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I’ve yet to see a mature buck eat from a feeder within shooting hours during deer season.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:59:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I’ve yet to see a mature buck eat from a feeder within shooting hours during deer season.
View Quote

Only time I've seen nice bucks near a feeder was when they were trying to fuck the doe gathered at said feeder.

I always to myself when I read Johnny Bad Ass posting about how doing this and that isn't hunting. Like already posted, do what you want if it's legal and MYOB if it's not for you.

Fuck yes I hunt over food plots and feeders because the doe like it and visit regularly... and guess what likes doe?

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 2:03:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Am I the only one who notices the obvious spam link in the OP for the deer feeders?
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 2:09:09 AM EDT
[#20]
It’s legal here. Just bought a place I can hunt on and I’ll be throwing out corn daily. I don’t have the time to hunt any more. I’ll be filling my tags and the freezer.  No it’s not “sporting”, and I don’t really care.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 2:10:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Baiting deer is bs and takes no skill. These people dont want to hunt, they just want to lure things in and kill it.
View Quote

Correct. See my post above.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 7:12:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Besides that I'm pretty confident OP is a troll/spam...

Is baiting any less hunting than using a gun you can hit deer at 4, 5, 700 yards with? Or using buckshot even?

While I don't really care, food for thought. As someone else mentioned, under typical circumstances, you're trying to get them while they're eating, fucking, sleeping, or watering. There's only 4 options, all of which they need. ETA: deer don't go to the rec center, skate park, or bath and body works. They only do things that keep them alive. It's all driven by instinct.

Is it baiting for me to go hunting 50yds from the road which separates public woods from bean field? Knowing damn well they're going to cross there. Because I'm just using the bean field as bait, right? Or should I not hunt morning/evening, and only hunt late morning or early evening when they're headed back into the woods, to go bed down? Using their bedding area as bait, or just show up 2 hours earlier and move in deeper.

Should I not hunt the 60 acres of private woods surrounded by corn/bean? Since it has a watering hole on it, and you know they're going in there for water/bed.

Or shall I only take a high power rifle and attempt to spot/stalk them, across the cut corn field, and shoot them at 400yds?

A bait pile is no guarantee of success. It's a mild incentive.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 7:37:24 AM EDT
[#23]
What about hunting with a guide service?  

Really if you need to have someone hold you're hand and walk you into the woods and point out a deer to shoot.

How about dog hunting?

If you need to sit in the truck and wait for the dogs to round up a deer to shoot...

Hunting may not be for you.

Flame on........

Hunting is different in all areas of the country.  Just because thats not how you do it, doesn't mean it's wrong.

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What about hunting with a guide service?  

Really if you need to have someone hold you're hand and walk you into the woods and point out a deer to shoot.

How about dog hunting?

If you need to sit in the truck and wait for the dogs to round up a deer to shoot...

Hunting may not be for you.

Flame on........

Hunting is different in all areas of the country.  Just because thats not how you do it, doesn't mean it's wrong.

View Quote

Someone needs to tell this to the fudds in PA.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Someone needs to tell this to the fudds in PA.
View Quote

"We don't care how you did it in new yorkPA"

Various methods were developed and propagated for a reason. Probably because other methods were tried and failed.

If I could use my dog and ideally FFC buckshot (but any "brush" rifle would also do), I could fill every freezer in town. He pushes so many deer at me it's insane. But we can't dog hunt here. We also can't use shot... a 30-30, .223, 44mag, all would still work well, but bottlenecks are also verboten.

Hunting by myself in the woods, archery isn't that much of a disability. Especially from a stand. Snap shooting is where it'll really screw you over.

The only difference between me using a bait pile is where I put my stand and how far I have to drag the thing. For a couple bucks of corn I can have a stand where there's some squirrels to watch and get in and out silently. Or walk another 100yds in the woods and have to drag them further.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#26]
This is an actual image of an 8pt spotting a corn feeder in the middle of a shooting lane.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 7:44:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Baiting - putting out a pile of food during season

Feeding - setting up year around, solar powered, timed (dusk/dawn), hi-grade corn and protein feeders.  Literally feeding the deer year around two meals a day. (Along with every other animal that eats corn).  Also setting up stock tank for water and setting out salt blocks.

Hunting over a farmers food plot field - self explanatory.

Walking out on public land - crap shoot and bitching about how the above three cheat and aren’t real hunters

If you’re horn hunting, number 2 yields unbelievable results on large and professionally managed high fenced hunting operations.  It also costs the price of a average mid-sized car, for results that look like the mount should be on the wall of Bass Pro or Cabelas.

Some people want the rustic, flat tire, old trailer, public land, deer camp 6-point and a doe if lucky deer hunting experience.  Others want a 3 day, wifi/cable tv cabin, pool/hot tub, chef prepared meals, high stand, pay 30K for a 280 class non typical deer, experience.

For those hunting this year, good luck no matter how you choose to hunt.  I’ll be out for there on the 23rd.  Be safe and fill your freezer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Baiting/feeders are not legal in any state i've ever lived in or at least not while I was living in them.  I've lived in states where i've had to hunt from a stand or ground blind on 5 to 40 acre areas.  To be honest I was about ready to throw in the towel until I could move back out west.  I need to be in the mountains walking and taking a break on a ridgeline watching trails for awhile and then move onto another spot.  I know not everyone can hunt like this and i'm not going to bad mouth those who have to hunt like this.  Being out in the woods hunting is what matters.  If you have to sit over a feeder or food plot to hunt then so be it I guess.  

I've read a few studies now that is linking the use of feeders with disease due to the higher concentration of deer in a small area and the sick ones passing on the disease to healthier ones.  It makes sense to me because in the wild you wouldn't normally have the high concentrations of deer in a small area.  They would be spread out over a greater area.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Illegal here, yet also legal to use salt licks & dump minerals all over the ground.

I don’t know, I generally find hunting too boring to care much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top