Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2021 5:25:03 AM EDT
?MICRO CAMPER?I bought a very small camper (K-camper) in Japan
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Contractor "derivered" it to my garage.

LOL,  that thing is pretty cool ,but I'm much too large for it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#2]
And here I thought Spock was dead.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 10:06:33 AM EDT
[#3]
It has some neat features - surprising amount of sleeping space for the size - but the lack of a bathroom or fridge would probably make it a non-starter here in the US.

Having 4WD is strange, since that rig will probably never be driven off-road.

Apparently, motorized RVs are quite popular there, probably because few people already have a vehicle capable of towing a trailer. (Kind of interesting to realize that the popularity of full-size pickups in the US has been a catalyst for travel trailer and 5th wheel sales.)
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And here I thought Spock was dead.
View Quote

I was thinking that guy has watched too much Star Trek, but then I realized that is just the standard Japanese post modern hair template.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#6]
27K (US dollars) for that? I guess he thought it was worth it. I kinda want a K truck now though. It would be perfect around town truck, for my beekeeping stuff, getting project materials, etc.

As for bathrooms and stuff, there are a number of trailers out there that don't have those. The "in" thing seems to be outdoor kitchens built into the back or side of the rig.

If a small truck like the K model was available in the US, I'd bet there would be camping rigs built around it. The smallest pickups made these days are rangers and tacos, and those are bigger than previous generations.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It has some neat features - surprising amount of sleeping space for the size - but the lack of a bathroom or fridge would probably make it a non-starter here in the US.

Having 4WD is strange, since that rig will probably never be driven off-road.

Apparently, motorized RVs are quite popular there, probably because few people already have a vehicle capable of towing a trailer. (Kind of interesting to realize that the popularity of full-size pickups in the US has been a catalyst for travel trailer and 5th wheel sales.)
View Quote

The 4X4 is for snow, they do not really plow over there. You'd see chains and studded tires used a lot.
Where I was in Aomori, you might see the major roads plowed occasionally, but never salted.

The 4X4 is also handy for some of the roads in the mountain areas and for beach use.

The biggest issue with kei campers is they are not powered or geared for the highways here.  If you watch some of the videos with them, they struggle to maintain 60-70 kph on a slight grade. They're more at home on secondary roads where the speed limit is 60 KPH or below.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The 4X4 is also handy for some of the roads in the mountain areas and for beach use.
View Quote

That vehicle has no ground clearance - which makes 4WD essentially useless.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:20:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That vehicle has no ground clearance - which makes 4WD essentially useless.
View Quote

It's not an off road 4x4, it's for loose conditions or snow.  You don't need high ground clearance to justify the usefullness of a AWD/4WD system.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#10]
It is kinda cute. 27K isn't to bad for over there I would think. Although from the reaction of the delivery guy it may be. I'm guessing it's a luxury item there. It does make me wonder what an older 80's-90's VW Vanagon would cost over there. It seems like a Vanagon has more amenities, but less sleeping area. As he mentioned he wanted a little more insulation too. I'm sure that's lacking on the VW.

A lot of American camp trailers would be the same size as a small Japanese apt I would bet.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 1:06:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Vehicles much over a few years old in Japan are not held onto, because of the way their insurance system works.  
Not that there are not a number of old/antique vehicles there, just that it's even more a labor of love to keep one.

Most of the old stuff I saw when I was there were Harleys, or the odd chunk of Detroit iron (There was one guy in the area with a 66 Buick wildcat). They also have a decent sized MV collector community.

Many of the larger 5'th wheel trailers here are the size of a Japanese house.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 1:41:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Video tour of a Kei Camper RV show

Link Posted: 3/1/2022 1:38:09 PM EDT
[#13]
They don't really use 4wd the same way we do here in the US, for them it's more of a "slick surface" kind of thing. They're not going down forest service roads or miles of desert. It's more of a "this road is snow-covered" or "I have to drive across this improved-surface dirt road, but it just rained" kind of thing.

There's a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge tax break for a Kei car/truck/van in Japan, they only exist because of the tax incentive.

Kei trucks are pretty cool, but they're miserable to drive for more than an hour though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top