Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/15/2019 1:26:08 AM EDT
At night I use this technique I call "slip-on mode" for my shoes/boots for vastly increased speed if I need to get up in the middle of the night and move fast for any reason  (Severe weather, earthquake, break in, etc.).  Here's how it works.  I keep my shoes or boots next to the bed but when I take them off I loosen the laces to the point I can slip my foot in and out then I retie the laces to make them secure.  In the event of an emergency, I can grab my lace up shoes or boots and simply slip them on and not have to worry about tying the laces or having lose laces going everywhere and possibly tripping me or have the shoes come off.  They are lose fitting of course but they will stay on and allow me to move quickly and safely.  When time permits I would retie them normally.  Anyone else use this technique?  Of course if you have velcro strap shoes or zippered boots this is not really needed but I don't wear that style in either a boot or athletic shoe.  I find this very effective for myself.  Give it a try sometime.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 2:03:19 AM EDT
[#1]
This style of speed lace works very well for what you are describing.

This style is great and has the same speed lacing system.

Link Posted: 7/15/2019 6:52:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got a few pair of Salomon's as well, but I keep a pair of slip on Sketcher work shoes I used in Afghanistan by the bed.  I wouldn't want to do sprints in them for very long, but they will work for HD and take two seconds to put on.  They're not something I would normally wear, but are perfect for this application...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 7:14:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Inb4Crocs
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 9:42:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Never really planned for this, until one day in Afghanistan.  We were out all night, so when I got back to the FOB, I chucked my clothes on the floor and hit the rack.  I luckily had an air conditioned CHU that was pretty insulated from sound.  About noon, I woke up with what I thought was someone knocking on the door.  When I opened the door all hell broke loose.  RPG hits the ground outside, small arms everywhere.  I had enough time to grab my M4, and haul ass to the closest bunker.  Problem was, I was in my boxers and a T Shirt.  Spent about 8 hours holed up in the bunker.  Luckily it was summer so it wasn't cold.  Insurgents decided it was a good day to try and attack our base.  Running at full sprint on rocks/gravel is not fun when you're barefoot.

Ever since then, I always stage my gear and clothes, in a way that facilitates quick access.  It was complacency and laziness on my part not to do it from the onset.  Lesson learned.  Thanks for posting OP.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 9:57:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never really planned for this, until one day in Afghanistan.  We were out all night, so when I got back to the FOB, I chucked my clothes on the floor and hit the rack.  I luckily had an air conditioned CHU that was pretty insulated from sound.  About noon, I woke up with what I thought was someone knocking on the door.  When I opened the door all hell broke loose.  RPG hits the ground outside, small arms everywhere.  I had enough time to grab my M4, and haul ass to the closest bunker.  Problem was, I was in my boxers and a T Shirt.  Spent about 8 hours holed up in the bunker.  Luckily it was summer so it wasn't cold.  Insurgents decided it was a good day to try and attack our base. Running at full sprint on rocks/gravel is not fun when you're barefoot.

Ever since then, I always stage my gear and clothes, in a way that facilitates quick access.  It was complacency and laziness on my part not to do it from the onset.  Lesson learned.  Thanks for posting OP.
View Quote
I'd have to take a bullet. Not being tough, thats how tender my feet are. I can't even walk on grass barefoot.  I keep a pair of UnderArmor slides next to my bed, so when I get up to pee or need shoes on quick, thats my go too...
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Side zip boots for bump in the night.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Or boat shoes
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#9]
First post......he nailed it
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Good thread. Practical.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Crocs next to the bed.

Wore them as shower shoes overseas - offers toe protection not found on flip flops.
I too keep my laces loose so I can slip on my Merrels which are by the front door.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Crocs next to the bed.

Wore them as shower shoes overseas - offers toe protection not found on flip flops.
I too keep my laces loose so I can slip on my Merrels which are by the front door.
View Quote
I freaking hate Crocs, but they work.  I like to think my feet are pretty tough.  I'm mostly barefoot around the house and wear minimalist sandals; I even hike barefoot on occasion.  That said, footwear is quite valuable and shouldn't be overlooked for social engagements, checking that bump in the night, or making a dash outside in case of a fire.

Even with supposed toughened feet, glass, a stubbed toe, or slippery surface can be disastrous.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Inb4Crocs
View Quote
Crocs front and back door.  Killed many large and small critters in flip flops or crocs.

If there is a storm coming all the shoes live in the hallway or by the bed, obviously get them on is priority and fix the other stuff as you can.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Never really planned for this, until one day in Afghanistan.  We were out all night, so when I got back to the FOB, I chucked my clothes on the floor and hit the rack.  I luckily had an air conditioned CHU that was pretty insulated from sound.  About noon, I woke up with what I thought was someone knocking on the door.  When I opened the door all hell broke loose.  RPG hits the ground outside, small arms everywhere.  I had enough time to grab my M4, and haul ass to the closest bunker.  Problem was, I was in my boxers and a T Shirt.  Spent about 8 hours holed up in the bunker.  Luckily it was summer so it wasn't cold.  Insurgents decided it was a good day to try and attack our base.  Running at full sprint on rocks/gravel is not fun when you're barefoot.

View Quote
That’s why we always called them combat crocs
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
This! I'm on my second pair since I like them so much!

Irish setter kasota side zip. There also composite safety toe so they don't weigh a ton! https://www.irishsetterboots.com/work-boots/safety-toe-boots/kasota-83636.html

Link Posted: 7/16/2019 3:32:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I have merrel slip on shoes and another pair of running shoes i keep the laces loose enough i can slip on.

During spring through fall at fishcamp or hunting i have knee high rubber boots.

Winter i have bunny boots with the laces loose enough to slip on and heavier insulated rubber boots.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 4:17:57 AM EDT
[#17]
If you have boots, just use a cord-lock and tie a knot at the end of the laces.  You can cinch them down and tuck them into the boot in about 4 seconds.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 8:03:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you have boots, just use a cord-lock and tie a knot at the end of the laces.  You can cinch them down and tuck them into the boot in about 4 seconds.
View Quote
This is the only thing you need to be cautious of with Salomon shoes that have the speed lacing system which tucks into the tongue.  They are very fast to put on and lace tight, but it takes a few seconds to tuck the laces away.  If you don't, they are a snagging hazard.  Mine somehow came loose on one shoe and almost tripped me up getting out of a Mi17 chopper when the laces snagged.  Just something to be aware of.  Once tucked, they are very secure and the laces are extremely strong (not "break free" laces!)

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#19]
You can run thru fire and broken glass barefoot when your adrenaline dumps.  Everything is just tunnel vision.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Side zips, these specifically.

I buy one new pair a year.  
The new pair are my "going in to town" boots.
Last year's pair becomes the "new" farm boots.
Last year's farm boots go in the truck as "emergency" boots.
The previous truck boots are normally toast at this point.

Amazon Product
  • Mixed-media lace-up boot featuring ribbing at side, padded collar, and high-traction outsole
  • Medial-side zipper

Link Posted: 7/20/2019 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#21]
These no-tie laces rock:
https://caterpy.us
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've got a few pair of Salomon's as well, but I keep a pair of slip on Sketcher work shoes I used in Afghanistan by the bed.  I wouldn't want to do sprints in them for very long, but they will work for HD and take two seconds to put on.  They're not something I would normally wear, but are perfect for this application...

https://www.shoegalleryonline.com/prodimages/13570-DEFAULT-l.jpg
View Quote
Man oh man, you could Bristol Stomp a dude with a pair of those.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 6:36:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Which is why I put them under the bed...investigating bumps in the night, not attending a fashion show They're still in good shape and I didn't want to throw them away.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Which is why I put them under the bed...investigating bumps in the night, not attending a fashion show
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is why I put them under the bed...investigating bumps in the night, not attending a fashion show
Nor a dance contest.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#25]
I plan to use my Crocs to fight my way to my boots.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#26]
I keep a pair of Merrill Jungle Mocs handy.

Slip on, snug fit, tread like other Merrill's.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:17:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Crocs front and back door.  Killed many large and small critters in flip flops or crocs.

If there is a storm coming all the shoes live in the hallway or by the bed, obviously get them on is priority and fix the other stuff as you can.
View Quote
Same...also have a friend that survived a puff adder bite because of Crocs...snake struck and hit the shoe. It was able to stop the fangs from penetrating. If it was a fully grown snake, he would have been toast though.
I doubt I'll ever encounter a snake with bigger fangs than a youngling Adder here in the South East.
I keep a pair next to the bed too...only thing that sucks about them is wet grass traction
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ljh824's tale convinced me. No better learning experience for what works and how to stage-up, than being caught under fire.

Lessons learned and best practices -------> = 'Combat Crocs.'
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I freaking hate Crocs, but they work.  I like to think my feet are pretty tough.  I'm mostly barefoot around the house and wear minimalist sandals; I even hike barefoot on occasion.  That said, footwear is quite valuable and shouldn't be overlooked for social engagements, checking that bump in the night, or making a dash outside in case of a fire.

Even with supposed toughened feet, glass, a stubbed toe, or slippery surface can be disastrous.

ROCK6
View Quote
Die Hard

Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:41:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Die Hard
View Quote
While the movie shows an extreme possibility, the reality is that you could stub your toe (and hard), need to navigate a break-in that sometimes involves broken glass, or a plate/vase getting knocked over and broken, etc, or even if you have to rush outside, there's a number of unseen items that could disable your mobility.  It's much easier to talk guns, lights, gear and even tactics, but footwear gets overlooked, especially for the immediate, bump-in-the-night need.  I like to make fun of Crocs, but something as simple as those are very much a functional necessity if you want to investigate, navigate, or even get into an engagement at night or with little notice....

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#31]

I like idea of these and they’re Danner
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

While the movie shows an extreme possibility, the reality is that you could stub your toe (and hard), need to navigate a break-in that sometimes involves broken glass, or a plate/vase getting knocked over and broken, etc, or even if you have to rush outside, there's a number of unseen items that could disable your mobility.  It's much easier to talk guns, lights, gear and even tactics, but footwear gets overlooked, especially for the immediate, bump-in-the-night need.  I like to make fun of Crocs, but something as simple as those are very much a functional necessity if you want to investigate, navigate, or even get into an engagement at night or with little notice....

ROCK6
View Quote
Very true. Crocs would be the ultimate quick bump in the night shoe IF it had a more aggressive tread pattern...all about compromises, I guess.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:16:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:35:20 AM EDT
[#34]
It's in the quote in your post

https://www.danner.com/productfamily/mountain-600-chelsea/men:lifestyle/?sortId=position-asc

The olive is on sale!

@gotuonpaper Thanks for the heads up on those, they look perfect for what we're discussing

Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:41:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Very similar to the Duluth Wild Boar boots.
I've had a pair for 3 years now. Wore them almost daily and they lasted...soles starting to come off now, so I'll look at replacing them.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:47:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Hmm these are on sale to..decisions decisions...

https://www.danner.com/men/sale/lookout-station-office-5-5-black.html

$170 for the mountain chelsea on sale for $85

$140 for the lookout station on sale for $84
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:50:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Very similar to the Duluth Wild Boar boots.
I've had a pair for 3 years now. Wore them almost daily and they lasted...soles starting to come off now, so I'll look at replacing them.
View Quote
So if you sign up for the email thing, you get 15% off, starting price of $109.95 comes out to $93.45 with discount..

Brown or black..

Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:56:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So if you sign up for the email thing, you get 15% off, starting price of $109.95 comes out to $93.45 with discount..

Brown or black..

https://www.duluthtrading.com/dw/image/v2/BBNM_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-dtc-master-catalog/default/dwa8116c43/images/large/12263_alt_01.jpg?sw=331&sh=331&sm=fit
View Quote
They email me about once a week.
I got my pair for $70 a few years ago...deciding between these and the Danners now
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:52:56 AM EDT
[#39]
ya i still have danners nib from that friends and family sale back in nam..

Found these...now i don't know what to get.. except they are full price at $180

https://www.danner.com/men/lifestyle/pub-garden-chelsea-jet-black.html

I guess the chelsea style is made by everyone, here is Bates version with a composite toe..

Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:36:41 AM EDT
[#40]
nam...

Holy smokes! $180! Thats a bit rich for my blood. I will say that the duluth boots didn't "feel" very tough and didn't give a massive amount of support. They were easy to get on and off, had good traction, looked good and lasted a long time.
If you are going to need impact protection or ankle support, the danners might be better...last danners I had were the same style issued in OIF, I think.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#41]
View Quote
I have a friend that is a dealer and  I get my Danner stuff at cost.  So that helps.  If you look around you can find some great sales on their stuff.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#42]
I bought 2 pair of danner slip on 3 inch shoes by searching Amazon warehouse deals for my size in danner shoes. I check the link for price range to see if there are returns marked used at a low price. One pair was in a generic Amazon box, I think box was damaged so priced at 42.00 second pair was in box, tiny scuff on side of shoe, 45.00
Bought timberland and redwings the same method.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6
Die Hard

http://durable.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/fettgalss.jpg
http://www.alphavillejournal.com/Issue7/Issue7ImagesArticles/7FifeDonaldsonImage9.jpg
Yeah, that would be me.  I'm kind of weird in that I much prefer to fight bare footed and wouldn't hesitate to move around my house and property that way.  Good way to pick up some unneeded cuts.  In a SHTF getting a cut can mean getting an infection, which can mean dying.  I keep a pair of hemp sandals in my bedroom that I use most of the time.  I got in the habit of wearing them to the gym and now they are just a fixture with me.

If I have the time to get dressed a bit I'd just put on my Rocky zip up duty boots.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have merrel slip on shoes
View Quote
This.

All I really wear since living in AK.

Easy on easy off but good traction
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Pink Crocs are the way to go.

*Classical reference in post
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#46]
I have two young boys, Legos are a real danger in my house and floors are all hard surface so there is no give.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#47]
I'd like to see a new Die Hard where he's a grandpa and has a barefoot scene with legos
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#48]

I just wear my Hawaiian safety shoes.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 7:56:20 PM EDT
[#49]
I usually skip my makeup, but I never disembowel nighttime intruders unless I'm wearing my KISS boots.

Link Posted: 8/7/2019 12:20:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Or boat shoes
View Quote
Absolutely --- once done engaging nerr' do wells, one can then head over to the promenade deck of their yacht to do some entertaining !
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top