Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2023 9:20:13 PM EDT
What sleep system does everyone keep in their get home bag or BOB? I'm in Pennsylvania so I will have to change with the seasons. I'm looking for decent stuff in subdued colors.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Hill People Gear Mountain Serape, Exped Synmat, and an OR Helium bivy in mine at the moment, but I have quite a bit of gear that rotates through based on season and whim.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 9:18:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Top cover, insulation, and ground insulation.

Summer months, I’ll roll with just a Woobie variant (Kifaru, HPG, WI), Snugpak Jungle bag/blanket or issued poncho liner, Silnylon rain poncho/tarp (green, but plenty of camo/drab tarps available), a folding CCF seat pad and a lightweight hammock.

Rain fly/trap/poncho. While I typically still pack a rain jacket and pants, I like the versatility of a rain fly or tarp. You can combine both with a poncho and their a bunch of solid options from Bushcraft Outfitters, Wilderness Innovation, Hilleberg Bivanorak, Six Moons Designs Gatewood Cape, etc., or the various military issued ponchos (the USMC trap is bigger than the USGI issued one).

Late fall through late spring, I make sure I have something to “go to ground”. Normally added a larger folding section of Therm-a-rest Z-lite folding CCF ground pad (usually six sections or torso length). For a couple months, I’ll add a higher rated, insulated, inflatable sleeping pad.

I may keep the Woobie but will upgrade to either a dry-down bag or my Kifaru Slick bag (20-degree rated).

Add a Snugpak or a couple other bivvy bags I have (TiGoat Ptarmigan, or the Borah Gear ultralight bivvy). I can use them without a rainfly, but typically prefer keeping some type of rain fly/tarp.

It doesn’t hurt to have a small section of Gossamer Gear Polycryo or Tyvek as a sleeping “footprint” just to protect your inflatable pad and/or bivvy bag from punctures.

I love down and quite impressed with the treated “dry-down” quilts and bags for backpacking, but for storage in my truck and likely conditions I can’t control, I would recommend synthetic insulation.

Almost all colors are brown, green, camo.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Klymit inflatable pad, mosquito netting, tarp and Snugpak jungle bag for the south is a pretty unbeatable mix.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By PrepperMedic:
What sleep system does everyone keep in their get home bag or BOB? I'm in Pennsylvania so I will have to change with the seasons. I'm looking for decent stuff in subdued colors.
View Quote

My Bob and get home bag are 2 different bags...

Get home bag is 3 mountain house meals, water, pocket rocket heating, rain gear, assorted meds, advil, , bandages, stuff, Kershaw,  stream light, emergency blankets, emergency sleeping bag, 9mm, I have truck, so hard to keep out of site, covered...

BOB is 35lbs of everything I need in winter, about 10 days of food...

Other than that, all be at home enjoying shtf...

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't keep a sleeping bag in my GHB.  For me, even for a 35 mile trek my goal is to get home, not go camping.  Even during sub zero temps if the weather is too risky, I will wait it out for a short time, sleep at work and head home on foot at a point where I won't need to stop and sleep.

Further away from home?  I bring enough blankets, or a sleeping bag rated for the season/ temps.  Bugging out in my AO (colder than where you live) with just a pack is not a reality and planning to fail.  It's more of a fiction novelty or fantasy.  In the dead of winter without a decent shelter (and more supplies than you can carry in a pack) in northern NY you won't survive long term.  I have done a lot of base camp hunting in my AO, in CO and MT and when you are in an area that can get feet of snow and subzero temps surviving SHTF out of a BOB is about he last thing I would ever choose to do.

With all that said, if shit is bad enough, and I can't leave with a method of conveyance and only a pack, it's going to be light weight so I can actually move with a purpose.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 2:16:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#6]
No Expert, but when considering "sleeping systems", insulation from the cold ground is at least as important as "top" insulation.

It is certainly possible to construct such "bottom" insulation, often from items lying around and not cutting down things, which cutting might possibly reveal your passage.  Admittedly, doing so takes time and effort, not always possible.

Next would be a Wind barrier, and a Rain barrier for the "top" level of insulation, neither of which are not always the same thing.

For example, fleece or wool blanket(s), while possibly OK for some environments will be a miserable thing when subjected to rain, high winds, or both.

Many folks sleep with their face/head exposed.  One loses a great deal of heat from their neck, face, and head, so wearing appropriate neck and head/face garments can extend the lower temp level of One's sleep system for a scant increase in weight/bulk.

Some folks can also benefit from "sleeping mittens and booties" especially those folks who have previously suffered frostbite in their hands and feet.  Again, such items offer utility far beyond their scant weight/bulk.

Many folks fail to consider biting insects and fail to include countermeasures in their sleeping gear.  Getting malaria, or perhaps worse diseases, is something to avoid

With some experience, one can learn to "tailor" their sleeping kit to their expected circumstances, as well as to provide some "margin" for unexpected situations, while keeping weight and bulk to a minimum.

Fortunately, most of this "experience" can be had in one's own backyard, and at little risk.

@ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 3:39:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By raf:
No Expert, but when considering "sleeping systems", insulation from the cold ground is at least as important as "top" insulation.

It is certainly possible to construct such "bottom" insulation, often from items lying around and not cutting down things, which cutting might possibly reveal your passage.  Admittedly, doing so takes time and effort, not always possible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Good points. I've heard you want twice as much insulation between you and the ground than on top, especially in colder temps. Having used a couple of large trash bags, it takes a considerable amount of time and energy to stuff as many dry leaves as you can into them for ground insulation...it works, but it's very time consuming.

Many folks fail to consider biting insects and fail to include countermeasures in their sleeping gear.  Getting malaria, or perhaps worse diseases, is something to avoid

For me, buzzing mosquitos in my ears doesn't bode well for any amount of actual "sleep". There's not much difference (or shouldn't be) between your bug-home/out sleeping system and your conventional backpacking sleeping system; you can go minimalist with both, but the goal is a system insulates when needed, keeps you dry, cuts down on wind, and is comfortable enough to actually get some some sleep. I can only go a few days on very little, sporadic sleep. After that, mistakes and injuries are more likely and for many (including me), you start to lose the edge on your cognitive abilities, situational awareness, and reaction times.

From about March through October it's pretty buggy down here and the likelihood of rain is especially high in the spring and summer. Ground sleeping just exposes you to too many threat vectors, I prefer a hammock; however, the same principles apply as sleeping on the ground.

I know when backpacking, my body needs that sleep recovery time and I need a good night's sleep (or as best as I can get). SHTF may have more factors to be concerned about and outside of literally "survival conditions", I'm going still to need a good sleep system and enough sleep to operate at maximum efficiency for longer term activities.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

There's not much difference (or shouldn't be) between your bug-home/out sleeping system and your conventional backpacking sleeping system; you can go minimalist with both, but the goal is a system insulates when needed, keeps you dry, cuts down on wind, and is comfortable enough to actually get some some sleep.
View Quote

For the most part.  And the basic concepts, yes, correct.  

However.  While you can DEFINITELY get away using our lightweight backpacking bag in day to day use, bugging in or bugging out....backpacking quality sleeping bags tend to be less roomy and less durable than non-backpacking sleeping bags.  And they really can't fold out into 'blanket' form very well.

If you are forced to use your lightweight backpacking bags long-term bugging out / in with a bunch of kids?  Yeaaaaaaa.  I mean, you CAN get really durable lightweight bags....but you are getting $$$$$ at that point.

Sure, start with your backpacking bag.  That is your first priority.  But once you get caught up, it's worth having a longer-term sleeping setup.  A QUALITY big, roomy oldschool Coleman style sleeping bag (the big flannel ones that are square) or oversized Wiggy's bags are far more comfortable long term.  Especially if mated with a short folding 2" or 4" thick foam mattress.  

Also, if you are bugging in / out, have a sleeping bag liner.  It will help you keep your bag FAR cleaner long-term.  Which in turn makes them last far longer.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess my question is what do you have that needs replacement?

If nothing, what is your budget?
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#10]
So probably for me worst case is the 37 miles home from work in winter. I'm older now and I'm thinking I would probably need to rest once on that trip home. With what I have now I think I'm good for all but the coldest scenario. I'll work on that part over the next few months.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Checking in from NEPA. I think we've messaged before and are in the same area.

I have a snugpack, forget what model, but it's not rated anything crazy. I used it last April in the Mountains in conjunction with a fleece liner. I survived, but I was COLD.
Went camping last weekend (same Mts) and figured its summer, the fleece liner should suffice! With temps in the 40's, I was WRONG! Luckily my BIL had a spare bag he brought and finally gave in at 0400 on night 2.

Recently ordered a Bivy Sack to go with it.

Honestly though for a Get Home Bag, I wouldn't pack a sleeping bag. Alot of bulk for comfort. If it's so cold that you won't survive without one, you prob won't make it anyway unless your keeping a locker full of cold weather clothing, gortex, insulated boots, etc. That's not to mention if there's snow added in.

If I ever created a plan to "get home", my plan would be to keep moving until reaching a friendly house midway. I know I can go about 2 days without sleep, same for food. Water will be priority. If anything, I'd consider one of those tiny mylar bags they have all over Amazon to give you something if you really need it. If it's so cold out I'd consider hunkering down or using transpo of some sort.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By PrepperMedic:
So probably for me worst case is the 37 miles home from work in winter. I'm older now and I'm thinking I would probably need to rest once on that trip home. With what I have now I think I'm good for all but the coldest scenario. I'll work on that part over the next few months.
View Quote

This is my thought process:

If the concern is winter, the intital location you are driving from to home should be stayed in place because it would give you the best protection.

But that's usually with the benefit of hindsight.

So the assumed scenario you are driving home road gets slick, drive into a ditch, cant get out, its dark, too dangerous to walk and who knows when a tow driver is coming out for the rescue. You might be able to walk in the AM but who know until then.

Using this as the basis id still use the current sleep system i use, 2 wool blankets, 2 woobie blankets. Now dont get me wrong it isnt light if having to carry but this is for my car. And this paticular system is for those deepest colds where layers is better.

Now i have looked into cutting some reflectix for each of my windows in my car to make it like an igloo. If you watch cheap rv living on youtube some of the videos gives some decent ideas of how to convert your daily driver into an rv might help
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By clownbear69:

This is my thought process:

If the concern is winter, the intital location you are driving from to home should be stayed in place because it would give you the best protection.

But that's usually with the benefit of hindsight.

So the assumed scenario you are driving home road gets slick, drive into a ditch, cant get out, its dark, too dangerous to walk and who knows when a tow driver is coming out for the rescue. You might be able to walk in the AM but who know until then.

Using this as the basis id still use the current sleep system i use, 2 wool blankets, 2 woobie blankets. Now dont get me wrong it isnt light if having to carry but this is for my car. And this paticular system is for those deepest colds where layers is better.

Now i have looked into cutting some reflectix for each of my windows in my car to make it like an igloo. If you watch cheap rv living on youtube some of the videos gives some decent ideas of how to convert your daily driver into an rv might help
View Quote
Be careful about adding anything to your vehicle windows.  There may be specific State laws governing such, especially "darkening" film.

I was forced, by my State, to remove the darkening film on the rear window of my Honda CRX hatchback, thus destroying the rear window heater.  It was, and is, a very stupid law.  I understand the position of the cops wanting to see inside the car for threats.  OTOH, the rear window of my CRX was basically a "skylight" and when un-tinted, allowed the car, with black interior, to heat up like you can't believe.  Trucks, including small pick-up trucks were exempt from this
State "rule", adding to the unfairness of it all.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 3:48:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:
Sure, start with your backpacking bag.  That is your first priority.  But once you get caught up, it's worth having a longer-term sleeping setup.  A QUALITY big, roomy oldschool Coleman style sleeping bag (the big flannel ones that are square) or oversized Wiggy's bags are far more comfortable long term.  Especially if mated with a short folding 2" or 4" thick foam mattress.  
View Quote

Agreed, that's why I have a few of the 0-10 degree Wiggy's bags. They pack for shit for backpacking, but for the home or bugout location, they're top notch. Second the recommendation for a bag liner...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 7:05:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Be careful about adding anything to your vehicle windows.  There may be specific State laws governing such, especially "darkening" film.

I was forced, by my State, to remove the darkening film on the rear window of my Honda CRX hatchback, thus destroying the rear window heater.  It was, and is, a very stupid law.  I understand the position of the cops wanting to see inside the car for threats.  OTOH, the rear window of my CRX was basically a "skylight" and when un-tinted, allowed the car, with black interior, to heat up like you can't believe.  Trucks, including small pick-up trucks were exempt from this
State "rule", adding to the unfairness of it all.
View Quote

It could be illegal but in the specific example i used, the reflectix would still have to be removed in order to drive the vehicle because you wouldn't be able to see through it anyways. It is a temporary barrier
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 3:45:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#16]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:
I don't keep a sleeping bag in my GHB.  For me, even for a 35 mile trek my goal is to get home, not go camping.  Even during sub zero temps if the weather is too risky, I will wait it out for a short time, sleep at work and head home on foot at a point where I won't need to stop and sleep.

Further away from home?  I bring enough blankets, or a sleeping bag rated for the season/ temps.  Bugging out in my AO (colder than where you live) with just a pack is not a reality and planning to fail.  It's more of a fiction novelty or fantasy.  In the dead of winter without a decent shelter (and more supplies than you can carry in a pack) in northern NY you won't survive long term.  I have done a lot of base camp hunting in my AO, in CO and MT and when you are in an area that can get feet of snow and subzero temps surviving SHTF out of a BOB is about he last thing I would ever choose to do.

With all that said, if shit is bad enough, and I can't leave with a method of conveyance and only a pack, it's going to be light weight so I can actually move with a purpose.
View Quote
i feel the same.  I can't think of a reason I'd have to leave work and walk home.  Even when the road is plowed, it ranges -20 to +20 most of winter.   I'll just grab a ride from someone, worst case.

If car breaks between work and home, there's a town about every 10 miles I can walk to, if cell service is out and no cars on the road.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 6:13:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#17]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:
i feel the same.  I can't think of a reason I'd have to leave work and walk home.  Even when the road is plowed, it ranges -20 to +20 most of winter.   I'll just grab a ride from someone, worst case.

If car breaks between work and home, there's a town about every 10 miles I can walk to, if cell service is out and no cars on the road.
View Quote
Getting a ride can sometimes be an "iffy" thing.  Walking 5 miles if encountering wet, freezing rain/snow and unprepared for such can be very problematic.

I got very lucky one time during similar circumstances.  I won't "depend" on mere luck again.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 11:27:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burncycle] [#18]
For minimalist setup (emergency only) I wanted shelter that not only fit in a cargo pocket, but also didn't make my cargo pocket stick out comically. Then I wouldn't have a reason not to have it. For instance, I would carry it even if I had a separate pack with shelter I intended to use. Why would I do this? It started while working on the fire boat where we had packs but weren't necessarily wearing them on the boat. This doesn't necessarily apply to everyone's situation but it ends up being a pseudo PACE like approach

YMMV, but for 3 seasons in the southeast where hypothermia is a concern, I carry a palmer furnace vacuum sealed. It slips into a cargo pocket and is soft, so it isn't annoying to walk with. Sleep is unlikely if I'm having to use this, but it will get me through a night down to freezing, or if I am wet.

For the summer, it's often legitimately too hot and humid for me to sleep much in my area, but bugs will keep me up all night anyway. So instead, I have a Lixada bug bivy. It has a minimalist tub for wet ground, and while it's a little too narrow even for my 5'7" frame (my arms push out the net sides a little) for my purposes that's okay and it means it also vacuum seals down compactly enough to disappear in a cargo pocket. In a back pocket I keep a two person heatsheets and ridgeline kit in the event of rain, which can be set up over the bug bivy.

These two options allow me to carry shelter even when I'm just wearing the clothes on my back (admittedly cargo pants) and with nothing else. For those who live further north where it gets substantially colder than freezing this wouldn't be adequate for all 4 seasons of course and I haven't really found a pocketable emergency solution for those kinds of winters.

________

As far as shelter I intend to use, I do carry an UL poncho, a small inflatable sleeping pad that packs down to 16 oz bottle size and an escape bivy in the daypack for unplanned overnights in the summer.

If it's planned overnight or multi-day I have a proper UL setup, a nemo tensor extra wide pad with tyvek footprint and sea to summit micro MCIII which are all small enough to fit into a small backpack, I can pair with tarp or hammock depending on the situation.

Link Posted: 10/14/2023 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I keep a snugpack 20deg bag with an OR bivvy in a bag, next to a closed cell pad.  I also have a hammock for hot weather.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 6:21:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Cheap camo tarp and usgi wool blanket in vehicle every day.simple!
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 6:22:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Also keep a trekking pole,it’s nice to have to prop back hatch as well.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 12:48:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I used to keep an old mil surp intermediate sleeping bag in the car in the 90s. When the woodland sleep systems first hit the market I swapped one of those out for the old bag. Then those sleep systems blew up in price to the point that I'd hate to have to replace it if the car was broken into. Now I keep a couple of old foreign military surp wool blankets in the car and plan  to just strap those to the BOB hobo style if needed
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 1:21:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#23]
Many inexpensive "Furniture Moving Blankets" available at Harbor Freight.  The best of them are useful for intended purpose, including blankets.  Suggest that HF quality varies directly with price.   If installing Brass Grommets, strongly suggest gluing stout reinforcement webbing underneath both sides of the Brass grommets.

HF Furniture Moving Blankets  
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Many inexpensive "Furniture Moving Blankets" available at Harbor Freight.  The best of them are useful for intended purpose, including blankets.  Suggest that HF quality varies directly with price.   If installing Brass Grommets, strongly suggest gluing stout reinforcement webbing underneath both sides of the Brass grommets.

HF Furniture Moving Blankets  
View Quote

I cannot recommend moving blankets for much more than their intended purpose. They do not insulate well and are fairly bulky for what insulation they do provide. A lot of them have residues or smell weird, and they do not handle laundering much.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:09:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#25]
Getting a ride can sometimes be an "iffy" thing.  Walking 5 miles if encountering wet, freezing rain/snow and unprepared for such can be very problematic.

I got very lucky one time during similar circumstances.  I won't "depend" on mere luck again.
View Quote

A) you don't walk (ie, don't leave the vehicle)

B) you check the weather report before your trip (wet/slush/snow?  Why don't you have a jacket?)

C) you use your cell

This isn't 20 years ago.  Avoidance is the best strategy- and you'll note I explained a ride from my workplace.

Now having said that, I have a poncho liner and some fleece blankets in the truck, but that's more for the kids.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top