Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2020 11:19:01 PM EDT
Looking for recommendations on a sleeping pad.  Leaning towards air over foam for space/weight savings and insulated as will be used in winter.   Anything decent under $100?  

Any insight greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 11:46:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Big Agnes is over 100, but they are the berries. I had one for 7 years that started leaking and I couldn't find it. I sent it to them and they replaced it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 12:01:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a Sea to Summit insulated pad that's great. Rolls up to about the size of a Nalgene and just as light. Over $100 though.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 12:03:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a Thermarest NeoAir XLite Sleeping Pad and I've been a big fan of it. Over budget and won't work for winter. I'm honestly not sure why I'm replying.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 12:07:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an insulated Klymit pad i like so much I bought two more for my wife and daughter.  I think it's a Static V insulated.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 1:21:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Appears budget might not be right and fine to go over.  

On the recommendations so far, what is the specific model?  Seems Big Agnes and Sea to Summit have several models.  Cold weather ability is a must as will use in PNW.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 4:20:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Will be buy a couple of these to try next spring.

https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/savotta-sleeping-mat.html
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 4:33:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will be buy a couple of these to try next spring.

https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/savotta-sleeping-mat.html
View Quote

Appears sold out but you could buy an actual Finnish surplus one from varusteleka.com.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 4:36:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have an insulated Klymit pad i like so much I bought two more for my wife and daughter.  I think it's a Static V insulated.
View Quote

I’ve got one of these. It’s been solid, kept me warm down to single digits with a good bag and very durable.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 12:59:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I picked up one of these self-inflating for use in the swag.  For sleeping on, it's tits.  For getting rolled back up and into the sack...  no so much.  But it was money well spent from a sleeping point of view.  I've owned/slept on a ton of different air mattresses in the last 30 years.  None of them have been worth a crap.  
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 11/11/2020 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've got a Sea to Summit insulated pad that's great. Rolls up to about the size of a Nalgene and just as light. Over $100 though.
View Quote

+1 on sea to summit.  Pick whichever model fits your needs.  Don't forget to get one of the inflating sacks to fill it with.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I’ve got one of these. It’s been solid, kept me warm down to single digits with a good bag and very durable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 My Dad and I use these for elk hunts.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 11:28:26 PM EDT
[#12]
NEMO Tensor insulated. Or go all out and get an ExPed DownMat 9.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Another vote here for Klymit. They have an ebay store with certified refurbished pads for a good discount. I've bought a couple and I would consider them new. Woot has them on sale often as well.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Managed to snag a Klymit insulated pad on Amazon @ $60 so going to try based on reviews.  Not thrilled about lack of bag to fill up like others.  Will flop on floor to check for comfort and if doesn’t work then will step up to a Sea to Summit.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 4:35:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Appears budget might not be right and fine to go over.  

On the recommendations so far, what is the specific model?  Seems Big Agnes and Sea to Summit have several models.  Cold weather ability is a must as will use in PNW.
View Quote

NeoAir Xtherm.

Look it up. Consistently rated one of the absolute best 4-season mats.

I have one with about 160+  nights on it and still going strong.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 11:48:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Managed to snag a Klymit insulated pad on Amazon @ $60 so going to try based on reviews.  Not thrilled about lack of bag to fill up like others.  Will flop on floor to check for comfort and if doesn’t work then will step up to a Sea to Summit.
View Quote

I've blown my pad up at 10k feet after a 12 mile hike without much issue. Not like you have much else going on when you're in camp.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 12:08:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've blown my pad up at 10k feet after a 12 mile hike without much issue. Not like you have much else going on when you're in camp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not about the effort required, it's that the moisture in your breath inevitably leads to mold growth inside the mat.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 12:14:04 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a really expensive Sea to Summit for me, and one of these for the kids.   The cheap one isn't quite as nice or as light... but it's still an awfully nice pad for the money.

And on the subject... pillows.  I have Sea to Summit inflatable pillows, and also these.  I use the cheap ones just as much as the S2S, they're totally fine.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 12:26:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

@stdsnb16

Link?

I have a Klymit pad that I like, but not an insulated one.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 2:36:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

@stdsnb16

Link?

I have a Klymit pad that I like, but not an insulated one.
View Quote

@fmj_shooter - Here you go (filter for coyote sand color):

Klymit Static V Insulated
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@fmj_shooter - Here you go (filter for coyote sand color):

Klymit Static V Insulated
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/15/2020 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's not about the effort required, it's that the moisture in your breath inevitably leads to mold growth inside the mat.
View Quote

This.  And, I've never met an air pad that was still full in the morning during winter.  Foam pads never fail.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#23]
If you were closer, I'd give you a couple; our camping days are over.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Appears I'm late to the party, but Exped has been very good to me.  Used one as my bed for several months and it is very comfortable.  Eventually one of the welds failed and a big bubble down by my feet formed, they replaced the pad immediately.  It was a few years old and had hundreds of nights on it, probably far more use than most of them ever see.

Link Posted: 12/14/2020 10:35:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Just a heads up that Klymit has a holiday deal going on right now.  I picked an insulated static v for $67 and change with the new fill valve design which do not appear on ebay or amazon yet.  They also have some other pads on sale too.

https://klymit.com/collections/12-days-of-deals
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 12:16:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This.  And, I've never met an air pad that was still full in the morning during winter.  Foam pads never fail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting... I have never had any more problems in the winter than in the summer with pads deflating. Foam pads have a low R rating, especially when compared to insulated inflatables.

I will cast another vote for the Static V Insulated...have been using one for a couple of years. It's warm down to about freezing by itself and I stacked it on top of an old self-inflating pad and was fine in -13 weather.

I used an Insulated Static V Luxe SL this past weekend in temps in the low 20s and it was super warm. It's stupid big and heavy though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:56:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Nemo Roamer. My back is pretty messed up and I can sleep on this thing. Not under $100, but you'll thank me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top