Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2021 11:47:07 AM EDT
So my kids are getting to the age where they want to start skateboarding.

I used to skate in the late 90s when CKY was a big thing.  I could use another physical activity to break some bones (as if jiu jitsu wasn't enough).  Does anyone here skate? I want to buy decent boards for my kids and myself, not the walmart/target variety. Looking at skate warehouse right now. Skateboards really haven't changed much in price since the 90s.  Looks like you can get decks for $50 and a full setup for $90 depending on trucks/wheels/bearings.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used skate warehouse and they are great.  

My two kids and I skate but I am over 40 so the fear of wrecking myself is always on my mind.  Attempting big tricks on the half pipe and the skatepark is no longer a big priority for me anymore.  Just cruising the bowls and being around the kids having fun is perfectly fine with me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:34:13 PM EDT
[#3]
My son skates and we've purchased from Skate Warehouse; no issues.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies, I'll use skate warehouse. As for age and fitness, I'm content just riding around . Going to focus more on technical tricks rather than big air or fast rails.

Edit: What are the go-to Wheels, bearings, trucks, decks these days?
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Man, I loved those CKY vids when I was young
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:...What are the go-to Wheels, bearings, trucks, decks these days?
View Quote

My boy runs his rigs OG!

wheels: Spitfire, Slime Balls, Bones
bearings: Redz
trucks: Independent
decks: World Industries (90's Wet Willy!), Birdhouse, Zero

A few of the old companies are still good.
our skate-rat friends still like Enjoi, Almost, blind, Element, toy machine, etc.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My boy runs his rigs OG!

wheels: Spitfire, Slime Balls, Bones
bearings: Redz
trucks: Independent
decks: World Industries (90's Wet Willy!), Birdhouse, Zero

A few of the old companies are still good.
our skate-rat friends still like Enjoi, Almost, blind, Element, toy machine, etc.
View Quote

My very first board when I was 12 was a world industries with independent trucks!
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#8]
My son gets his stuff from Skate Warehouse as well. He’s currently running a Baker deck, Independant trucks, Spitfire wheels and Reds bearings. About $140 for a top of the line setup.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My very first board when I was 12 was a world industries with independent trucks!
View Quote

Nice!  Do it again.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve been getting out quite a bit lately.  My girl is super into her little puppy scooter thing so we bomb the small downhills around here.  She wants to be on a real board and we’ve been working on that some lately.  

I had to deconstruct my old board since the wheels were too small and hard for cruising.  I still have a few decks from when I got shop flowed.  Ended up picking up some soft Spitfire 60s.  Let the good times roll!
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I was talking with my buddy about my son being into skating and he asked if we'd want an old longboard.
Yesterday he brings it to me and it turns out to be a 2008 Sector 9 ULUWATU pintail; 10"x46"!!!  -rolling on 70mm wheels.
The thing is awesome- literally.  
It was like pulling teeth to get my kid to come in the house last night.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Support your local skate shop!

ETA* I'm riding a leftover shop board from my now defunct Skateshop, grind king trucks, Bronson bearings, and spitfire wheels.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#13]
My daughter and I built new decks recently.  
I'm old now, but we have fun. My rig is...
bones wheels
redz bearings
Independent trucks with extra hard bushings.
rip-n-dip grip tape
Mini logo deck.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I skateboarded in the 80s. Met Rodney Mullen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top