Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2020 3:03:47 PM EDT
Does anyone make a signal mirror with a rubberized case like a cell phone? I've dropped mine a couple times and it's really showing. Seems like a rubberized case with an aperture hole in back is an obvious solution. Anybody got any ideas or is this just another reason why I need a 3D printer?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:32:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Think I'll get a new one and just Plastidip the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Get some fuel hose from local auto store, and slit it along its' length.  Slip over edge of mirror.  Might need to cut corners at 45 deg angle because it probably won't wrap around round corner of mirror.  Might need to experiment with the Internal diameter of the hose for best fit.  Glue in place.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get some fuel hose from local auto store, and slit it along its' length.  Slip over edge of mirror.  Might need to cut corners at 45 deg angle because it probably won't wrap around round corner of mirror.  Might need to experiment with the Internal diameter of the hose for best fit.  Glue in place.
View Quote

Simple and Cheap!  

Great idea,

Bill
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Think I'll get a new one and just Plastidip the hell out of it.
View Quote

If you have Plasti-Dip on hand, this is simpler and cheaper...

Bill
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If you have Plasti-Dip on hand, this is simpler and cheaper...

Bill
View Quote
How does Plasti-Dip work?  NVM; Just looked it up, and have used it in the past.  For OP's application, the hose suggestion will likely provide more shock resistance than the Plasti-dip, albeit at slightly increased bulk.  That's the price that is paid; always a trade-off.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oooh. I like this idea. I already have plastidip handy so I might try it first out of convenience sake but if I don't like it, at least it peals off easy. Then again, come to think of it, I have rubber fuel line handy too. Had to buy some to bleed my brakes. After I slice it length wise, I wonder how I could get it to stay in place... Maybe a glue gun. That's a rubbery material too and it'd peal off if it doesn't work.

Great idea! Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I took a look at the fuel line I had and it just didn't look like a big enough diameter to stay on properly so I went the plastidip route. But it turned out great.

Dipped it on the edges about 6 times until a nice bumper was built up around the perimeter then I poured plastidip into the back making a solid back surface. Once cured I trimmed out the edge for the front mirror as well as the aperture hole on the back. It feels great. Nice bouncy bumper around it now.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Glad you solved the problem, and further glad you posted a viable solution,  Well Done!
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Op I am late to the party but if you have to do it again you could use something from this page maybe

Rubber Trim
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Op I am late to the party but if you have to do it again you could use something from this page maybe

Rubber Trim
View Quote
Nice suggestion!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Another option

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Another useful alternative!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top