Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2018 7:21:41 PM EDT
So I'm a fairly novice hunter. 3 deer and 1 pronghorn to my name so far with a huge gap of years between. Last week was the first time they didn't drop right there. Doe ran (stumbled really) down the hill maybe 20 yards and then stopped. I wasn't sure if I only winged her or what so put another through the neck to make sure. When dressing I saw that the heart was shredded. Is this normal?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep.. very normal... I have only dropped 3 in my life were they stood... most all get a few yards
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea man. Deer can be tough
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes they will run on adrenaline with a heart shot.

I chose the high shoulder shot myself DRT bang flop

You lose a little minor amount of shoulder  but they don’t run
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#4]
What they all said. Shot a couple deer recently, both heart shots, both ran. One of them went 100 yards before dropping. Almost doesn't make sense, but double-lung seems to drop them faster. I've been playing around with different points of aim lately. I'm a huge fan of the shoulder shot now, or at least aiming further forward. DRT rate rises dramatically.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#5]
The furthest I’ve had a heart shot deer run is about 90yds. It’s not unusual for them to run a bit wth no heart. Strange as it seems.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks. My others were double lung shots. In the future I'll likely just aim a bit higher for the DL. That's what I intended this time as well but "missed".
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What they all said. Shot a couple deer recently, both heart shots, both ran. One of them went 100 yards before dropping. Almost doesn't make sense, but double-lung seems to drop them faster. I've been playing around with different points of aim lately. I'm a huge fan of the shoulder shot now, or at least aiming further forward. DRT rate rises dramatically.

-Stooxie
View Quote
agreed on the the double lung..
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I put a three blade broad head clean threw a nice bucks heart. It ran over 300 yards.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#9]
“As I stepped out I saw the barrel of .357 Magnum — it looked like the size of a cannon.”

Stacy still had grip of her weapon so she drew it quickly and went into a combat firing stance. She shouted, “Police officer! Drop the gun!”

Stacy and her assailant fired almost simultaneously.

Stunned, the “crazy” turned and ran around the back end of Stacy’s car.

The .357 round entered Stacy’s chest, nicked the base of her heart, her diaphragm, liver, intestine, and shattered her spleen before exiting through a tennis ball-size hole in her back. The impact caused her to take one step back, but somehow she maintained a good stance and proper grip of her weapon.

https://www.policeone.com/Officer-Safety/articles/8385060--I-knew-I-wasnt-going-to-die-Sgt-Stacy-Lims-story-of-survival/

Several years ago, Los Angeles Police Department Officer Stacy Lim was set upon off-duty by carjackers outside her own home while returning from a softball game. Shot through the chest at close range with a .357 Magnum, Lim was able to return fire, shooting her attacker multiple times. Soon collapsing at the end of her driveway, Officer Lim was taken to the emergency room. Stacy went was brought back to life three times after her heart stopped. During the time in the emergency room, she received 101 units of blood. Despite damage to her heart, spleen and other internal organs, she credits her training from the LAPD for her survival.

Despite being shot at five feet, Stacy stayed on her feet and won the gunfight. Although she knew she was shot, she made the mental decision to deal with the hurt later and win the gun battle now.

https://www.officer.com/home/article/10250550/surviving-being-shot
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#10]
My son punched this bear heart with his .243 when he was 10 years old, the bear ran straight at us for 80 yards, passed to our right and went another 35 yards, all on adrenalin.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes they will run on adrenaline with a heart shot.

I chose the high shoulder shot myself DRT bang flop

You lose a little minor amount of shoulder  but they don’t run
View Quote
Exactly. The only way to stop them from running is either to sever the CNS or break so many bones they can't move.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Neck shoot deer.  No messed up shoulders.  A quick hit or a clean miss.  No doubt, the deer either drops or runs away to live another day.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Deer travel farther with a heart shot at times.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:15:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Let's say a heart shot deer might only live on its feet 10 seconds. Count out 10 full seconds then think about how much ground a deer could cover running full blast within 10 seconds.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:12:40 PM EDT
[#15]
If your heart stops, you don't die or lose all bodily functions immediately.  Same if you stop breathing.

Deer can cover a LOT of ground in the time it takes for their body to shut down after having a vital organ taken off line.

Most deer taken with double lung shots aren't even dead when they fall down.  They literally just passed out, their heart is still pumping, but the brain is starved for oxygen until it shuts down and ceases operation causing death.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#16]
A buddy of mine and I were walking along a field downstate to start a drive. As we were walking in a couple deer stepped out into the edge of the field about 75 yards away. I said "deer!" as I was behind him. He shot. 12 gauge slugs. it blew the doe off its feet and rolled it completely over. It got up and ran probably 100 yards after. When we gutted it the heart was blown apart.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:19:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Think if you to absolutely drop them in their tracks it takes a CNS shot, break a spine, take out a shoulder.  I think you tend to lose a lot of meat to those (other than the CNS shot), plus you have very little margin of error on the shot.  I still prefer just behind the shoulder and through the vitals.  you might loose a little rib meat, but not much else.  Also the kill zone is maybe an 8" circle - so range estimation and ballistics become a bit less critical.

As noted above, the blood still has oxygen in it - the deer will be able to move so long as it has a bit of oxygen getting to the muscles.

Dangerous game is different - you aren't worried about meat or meat quality, just preventing them from being able to get to you - so take out major structural supports and / or the CNS.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#18]
My father-in-law hit one on the run one year - .30-06 and 180 grain Rem. corlokt bullet.  He said it jumped and kept on going out of sight into the brush.  He got up, walked over there and found blood and started tracking it.  Easy, lots of blood.  He said it went almost 100 yds. down the mountain through the brush/trees.  When he field dressed he cut the diaphragm and the heart fell out and rolled into the pile of intestines.  He said the bullet had completely taken the top of the heart off/torn it loose from the blood vessels and it just fell out.

He said he'd seem them run a few yards before, but never that far with the heart destroyed like that.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I shot a whitetail buck this year through a lung and the heart, (quartering shot) he ran 30 yards before going down. My shot was about 170 yards with my 7mm rem mag. Right after I shot I was like WTF did I miss? When I was field dressing him and checking out the organs I saw that the bullet went through the top quarter of the heart.

The next day my buddy shot another whitetail at 225 yards and it dropped like a sack of potatoes. I was standing right behind my friend when he shot. He turned to me and said "did I get him". I said "did you get him? he fell over dead!" His shot was a little higher behind the front shoulder and must have over pressured the nervous system.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Yup.....mine did this year.  Probably ran 20-30 yards and dropped.  Heart was pretty shredded.  300blk super.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Let's say a heart shot deer might only live on its feet 10 seconds. Count out 10 full seconds then think about how much ground a deer could cover running full blast within 10 seconds.
View Quote
That's about as far as my elk went. Pretty much a dead sprint for 10 seconds and straight into a face first skid
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:29:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Head and upper neck if you want quick kills. I had one shot with 405 grains of hardcase lead at 1500 heart was destroyed.  She ran about 50 yards and piled up dead. Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:31:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:...The .357 round entered Stacy’s chest, nicked the base of her heart, her diaphragm, liver, intestine, and shattered her spleen before exiting through a tennis ball-size hole in her back. The impact caused her to take one step back, but somehow she maintained a good stance and proper grip of her weapon.  ...
View Quote
That seems like elaboration

I've killed things with .357 magnum, including big deer, and never saw a tennis ball sized exit hole.

....not from a handgun, not even 44 magnum does that

---------

but back on topic, yes deer can run 100+ yards with heart and lung shots
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:25:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Every deer must have its own level of will.

I've double-lunged and heart/lung shot too many to count.
Some drop on the spot, or take a few steps.  Some bound off 5,10,20 yards.
Every once in a while, even with a textbook shot, they can haul ass 100+ yards, and usually into the thickest cover they can find.

Only shot that guarantee DRT are CNS/High Shoulder shots.

Yes, I've taken them with head/neck shots, but the conditions have to be absolutely perfect for me to choose that option, which has been only about 5-6 times in 30+ years.

I prefer to take the best shot offered for the given conditions.
Mid-day, early muzzleloader season, when cover is still thick, but good light and plenty of time to dark, I'll take the heart/lung shot. Spares the most meat, and if they do run, plenty of light for what is normally a brief track if any.
Same season at late day/last light, I'm taking high shoulder. I want it down and not have to track in the dark.
Come rifle season, when leaves are gone, if there's some snow or frost down, I'm heart/lung shooting almost exclusively.
If it's warm and there's no snow/frost, I'll go high shoulder if there's less than 60-90 minutes of light left, unless the deer is in a clearing it's not likely to exit before expiring from a heart/lung shot. (Not uncommon on the property I hunt.)

Now late flintlock season? Heart/lung shots only. Never had them go more than 30-40 yards. And can't recall the last time I was out with the flinter and there wasn't at least ankle-deep snow and ice down.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I've had a heart shot buck run 400 yards. One of the guys in the club scared him and ran him to my stand. I drilled his heart through the front of his chest and he took off. He didn't bleed much due to where the entry was and lack of an exit. It was largely pure luck and knowing the area that led me to find him.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#26]
With a heart shot you stop the heart from pumping. While the shot is 100% fatal the deer can go quite a distance before the BP drops enough that the animal drops.
From my reading, and this is more applicable to archery than firearms, a double lung shot tends to kill faster because the heart continues to pump and essentially pumps the blood out of the circulatory system faster.

I can say from my own experience, this seems to hold true. Double lunged deer go a shorter distance than a heart shot deer.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Depends if the heart is full of blood or compressed when you hit it.

US Army did a bunch of tests on beagles 70+ years ago.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Confirming what other have posted about deer running for while after being hit in the heart. This old girl ran full speed for about 60 yards after being hit with a 12 ga slug.

Link Posted: 11/22/2018 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#29]
The only DRT deer I have ever shot that wasn't a case of the bullet taking out a section of spine was a 3" slug out of my old Benelli M1S90.  Slug took out the heart, both lungs, both shoulders, etc.

I've had a few deer that ran right into large trees after being hit.  Not enough O2 for the eyes to be working, but enough momentum, I guess.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:37:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Shot a really nice 8 point this afternoon.  The shot was right at 200 yards.  I held slightly high since I am zeroed at 100 yards.  the buck hit the ground.  I could see him through the scope kicking like he was about to expire.  Next thing I see is his head pop up then the buck got up ran about 75 yards hopped a fence, continued to trot for another 100 yards or so.  He stopped long enough that I took a second shot, it was rushed and I missed.  He took off running full speed at that point.  No sign of blood, no indication he was wounded.  The lesson here is if a whitetail buck goes down, don't assume you made a hit that will keep him down.

Next week I try again.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#31]
You never know how deer will react. I killed a doe this archery season. She was very close 15 yardish; with the crossbow I knew I hit her. She and the doe she was with (there was just the 2 of them) just kept on walking sniffing etc; doing deer like things. Got too thick after about 65 yards to see them. Anyways found her at about 100 yards or so; when I dressed her I saw I hit both lungs. You never know how deer will react. Just watching her you would say I missed
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:31:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Sometimes, in those cases, what you're seeing is the other deer. The one you shot is down dead, or bedded wounded, but the others stick around due to curiosity or ignorance. Once I understood how deer react to a down deer my rate of getting multiples went through the roof.

I've even found my dead deer by watching the other live ones. They'll look at it or stand by it.

I know I've been confused plenty of times, thinking my deer ran off, when what I was really seeing was its companion(s). I would also say that if a deer is properly shot through vitals it WILL NOT be getting back up. If a deer does go down for a while but gets back up and runs then it simply wasn't a good hit.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:51:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Shot an antelope right behind the heart (she turned when I shot).

Both her lungs got pushed out of the chest cavity through the exit wound. She made it 15 yards. Heart was intact as far as I can tell.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've killed things with .357 magnum, including big deer, and never saw a tennis ball sized exit hole.

---------

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:...The .357 round entered Stacy’s chest, nicked the base of her heart, her diaphragm, liver, intestine, and shattered her spleen before exiting through a tennis ball-size hole in her back. The impact caused her to take one step back, but somehow she maintained a good stance and proper grip of her weapon.  ...

---------

Thinner chest cavity perhaps.  Look at the ballistic gel pics, the start small, cavity widens, then necks back down.   Perhaps her chest wasn’t deep enough for the taper back down to finish like in your deer.

100 yard give or take is pretty normal for a heart shot.   200 or so if you got the liver.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:52:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Common for me OP.

Shot my biggest buck this year-got lungs, heart, and destroyed front shoulder with 30-06.  Sucker ran about 15-20 yards balls out before falling dead.

First deer I ever killed I double lunged (might’ve gotten heart) with 30-30. She took off running all out and I was working that lever action flinging lead at her with open sights.  Hit her in the spine and she still ran a bit.  She was tough!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 6:48:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Last deer I shot was a desert muley a few hundred yards out. Hit him square in the heart totally destroying it (seriously destroyed it, the largest piece of heart I found was about the size of a 50 cent piece). He was bedded down when I was stalking him and stood up not alerted to toddle off when I shot him, even with no heart and no adrenaline (until getting shot) he still made it about 20 yards before he fell over.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:33:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Shot a coyote a few years ago.  It was 60 yards and looking right at me. I hit it with a 165 grain 30-06 bullet right in the breast.  There was blood everywhere.

Stupid dog ran about 500 yards down the mountain before it stopped.

I couldn't believe it made it that far.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Neck shoot deer.  No messed up shoulders.  A quick hit or a clean miss.  No doubt, the deer either drops or runs away to live another day.
View Quote
Wrong. They’ll still get up and run if the spine isn’t severed. Happened to a guy I work with this year. 30-06 at 75ish yards. Dropped, got up and ran a bit before a shot in the shoulders took it down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top