Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/15/2019 11:06:00 AM EDT
Lots of people hate hog hunting in the rainy season.  I love it.  Here are some fatties from this week.  Only got one on tape; the rest I shot with an IR laser instead of my Trail XP50.

-------
"If you can't tie a knot, tie a lot."
Instagram: @ThisWildAdventure
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Good shooting, keep it up
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I was told nobody hunts with an AR.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was told nobody hunts with an AR.
View Quote
Naw we just kill! Good shot OP.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice.

Love the foot shot. Drops them in their tracks everytime.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nice.

Love the foot shot. Drops them in their tracks everytime.
View Quote
Funny: it absolutely DID NOT drop her in her tracks.  These animals constantly amaze me with their toughness.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Funny: it absolutely DID NOT drop her in her tracks.  These animals constantly amaze me with their toughness.
View Quote
Yeah I still give my daughter hell about the time she got into a big sounder and dropped four but the fifth just stood there soaking up 6.8 after 6.8 until she realized it was a hog sized Rock! That was the worst case of hog feaver I ever seen but she hit the rock every shot. She shot one way further than she should have once and hit both ankles and that pig was doing circles until I gotta anchor shot on it. Then there was a fourty pound shult that decided to hide under the mower conditioner and went into the rollers back feet first. Man that was a mess. That was before the cellphone camera.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#7]
These three little piggies did NOT make it home from the market.

Link Posted: 6/12/2019 8:24:57 AM EDT
[#8]
That’s a cool picture, because it’s got dead pigs in it.....keep killing
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Those pigs look so happy laying there spooning each other
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Trying to link video but it's not cooperating. Anyone know how to embed from Instagram to here?
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
These three little piggies did NOT make it home from the market.

https://i.imgur.com/bHvJwdn.jpg
View Quote
Their parents must be disappointed.

I've liked to see them in the truck bed.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Their parents must be disappointed.

I've liked to see them in the truck bed.
View Quote
Big Rib! It's ya boi.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Just had a few short minutes for a hunt the other night, but ran into this boar at one of my pig pipes.  Those things work wonders at anchoring pigs to a spot for hours.  
Turns out this guy and I had something in common: male pattern baldness!

Link Posted: 6/25/2019 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just had a few short minutes for a hunt the other night, but ran into this boar at one of my pig pipes.  Those things work wonders at anchoring pigs to a spot for hours.  
Turns out this guy and I had something in common: male pattern baldness!

http://i.imgur.com/LdnpAhbl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/w8vFL70l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ounvw1tl.jpg
View Quote
Cool pistol whacked!
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Cool pistol whacked!
View Quote
Oh that's just for scale.  I whacked him right through the ear canal with a 6.5 Grendel.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Recently attended a 3-hour wild hog butchery class to see what this self-taught redneck could learn.  Came away with a lot of good intel, although most of it requires changing my current field dressing method of simply speed-extracting the backstraps and some ham meat.  A lot of their cooking uses a spice called "anise" which I had never heard of before (my cooking has limited horizons).

They are also super into brining.  I brined a boar ham over night and will be making tacos today using this recipe:
Feral Hog Tacos: Wild Game Cooking
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 8:20:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Anise gives the licorice flavor to Italian sausage.

I'm not a big fan of it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 8:31:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Anise gives the licorice flavor to Italian sausage.

I'm not a big fan of it.
View Quote
We always used it in coyote and coon lure for trapping. Racoons love it mixed in with some corn extract.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Recently attended a 3-hour wild hog butchery class to see what this self-taught redneck could learn.  Came away with a lot of good intel, although most of it requires changing my current field dressing method of simply speed-extracting the backstraps and some ham meat.  A lot of their cooking uses a spice called "anise" which I had never heard of before (my cooking has limited horizons).

https://i.imgur.com/d21dzjjl.jpg

They are also super into brining.  I brined a boar ham over night and will be making tacos today using this recipe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GLDy35byNE
View Quote
Where in Texas was the class held?
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:40:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Where in Texas was the class held?
View Quote
This one was in Austin.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Just noticed this butcher talk. Been in out of service , in the great white north , dealing with Canadians .  
How is the class any different than a regular butchering process?  I’m mean that as a serious question. It kind of comes across as smart ass, but really couldn’t think of better way to word it. .  My wife don’t care for it much , if I could find a a way to cook more to her liking, I’d do it. We kill a few occasionally, but let a ton of it lay for the coyotes.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just noticed this butcher talk. Been in out of service , in the great white north , dealing with Canadians .  
How is the class any different than a regular butchering process?  I’m mean that as a serious question. It kind of comes across as smart ass, but really couldn’t think of better way to word it. .  My wife don’t care for it much , if I could find a a way to cook more to her liking, I’d do it. We kill a few occasionally, but let a ton of it lay for the coyotes.
View Quote
I personally like it better when it's really cool around 34 degrees or so. It seems like the meat is a bit tougher when it's hot. But then again I grew up not butchering Hogs except in cool weather. And it seems like the meat is tenderer when you can let it hang and let the blood drain. Plus they slice better we cut the pork chops on this small gilt with a cleaver.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 1:30:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
No offense taken.  There was no magic to his explanation of the butchering process.  What was amazing was the chef's wealth of knowledge about things like how each cut can be cooked to its maximum potential, how you can remove and "render" some of the "leaf fat" to see how the hog will likely taste, how certain cuts allow for certain recipes, how certain spices bring out desirable flavors, etc.  If I remember half of the stuff I learned, it will have been worth it.

Oh, and the whole time we were there we were snacking on food his team had prepared from wild hogs.  I've eaten a lot of pigs, and every preparation was new to me.  Totally recommend it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I personally like it better when it's really cool around 34 degrees or so. It seems like the meat is a bit tougher when it's hot. But then again I grew up not butchering Hogs except in cool weather. And it seems like the meat is tenderer when you can let it hang and let the blood drain. Plus they slice better we cut the pork chops on this small gilt with a cleaver.
https://i.imgur.com/3ypieGx.jpg
View Quote
I tried bleeding them, then soaking entire clean carcass in salt water and diluted vinegar bath. Still too strong of a taste for her. She’ll eat venison all day , just not the pig.....

@thiswildadveture   Is there a list of classes somewhere? Be fun either way sounds like
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I tried bleeding them, then soaking entire clean carcass in salt water and diluted vinegar bath. Still too strong of a taste for her. She’ll eat venison all day , just not the pig.....

@thiswildadveture   Is there a list of classes somewhere? Be fun either way sounds like
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/3ypieGx.jpg

Maybe it's not actually the taste but the smell? She maybe picking up the smell more than the taste. We've had a few that were actually better than store bought. But then again some of the Hot weather ones were just plain terrible. I think what they are eating really makes a difference cause you can really tell one that has been eating carrion. They have a real strong smell and especially when you cook the meat. Some of the best were late fall corn slash graze on the sorghum sudan grass. They seem to be a whiter meat and finer texture than ones that forage more. Kinda like deer on Alfalfa. I've wondered if pigs that grazed alfalfa would have a richer texture? I killed a big fat sow late February that had a really good flavor but she was tough as shoe leather! Most of her got mixed with some tame hog back fat and venison.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 6:47:39 AM EDT
[#26]
I’m sure diet does make a difference. And agree, some just flat ass stink more than others. We hunted a big place for a while that fed the cows every day. We’d shoot the bastards out of the feed troughs at nite.  Even the little tiny fat ones she didn’t care for. Tried sneaking some in one time with our butchered stuff.  She caught in on first bite ....... kind of think she just don’t like the idea of eating pasture rat
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 8:52:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I’m sure diet does make a difference. And agree, some just flat ass stink more than others. We hunted a big place for a while that fed the cows every day. We’d shoot the bastards out of the feed troughs at nite.  Even the little tiny fat ones she didn’t care for. Tried sneaking some in one time with our butchered stuff.  She caught in on first bite ....... kind of think she just don’t like the idea of eating pasture rat
View Quote
Pasture Rat is what we used to call possum. I'll never forget the first time my wife saw one run out of a dead cows ass! She's killed possums with Extreme prejudice ever sense!!! I've got a buddy that doesn't like pork chops, tame or otherwise. Now he'll eat pork butt all day long but he doesn't like chops. We tease him about being unAmerican,
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Nice, BBQ at 11:00
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 11:51:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
For starters, stop soaking your meat in water or vinegar.  I used to do this too.  It's a guaranteed way to have tough, nasty-tasting meat.

Let me share what I learned in the class.

• Shoot the hog in the face with extreme prejudice.

• Hang and skin the hog quickly, then gut it.

• Do not even rinse the meat unless you absolutely have to.  The goal is clean, dry meat.

• Make as few meat cuts as possible in the field.  If you have to cut the pig to fit in your cooler, cut after the last rib.

• NEVER put the meat in direct contact with ice or water.  If you have to transport the meat in a cooler, first wrap the meat in unscented plastic bags.

• Preferably, hang the meat for between 2 and 7 days.  Hanging temp should be close to freezing, but not actually below 32º.

• Butcher the hog as needed for your intended purposes.

Link Posted: 7/9/2019 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Three more fatties last night! Look at those smiles! Hog heaven.

Link Posted: 7/9/2019 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#31]
TWA, for the win!
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#32]
That one was working on a set of cutters.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That one was working on a set of cutters.
View Quote
I put his head in a raccoon cage.  It's the best method I've found to let nature do her thing and clean the skull, while still keeping it free from larger critters like yotes that might drag off the head.  I have lost skulls that I wrapped in barbed wire, rope, you name it.  Those bastards are relentless.  I have a beetle box at home but the colony is still growing and I don't give it the attention it deserves.

Link Posted: 7/16/2019 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Add 8 more to the board.

Link Posted: 7/16/2019 1:13:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I tried bleeding them, then soaking entire clean carcass in salt water and diluted vinegar bath. Still too strong of a taste for her. She’ll eat venison all day , just not the pig....
View Quote
OP is correct about dry aging. That goes for any meat.
Most of the steaks in the higher end restaurants order their meats aged at least 8 days.
This gives the natural bacteria time to do it’s thing and that’s what ‘tenderizes’ the meat.

Unless you have a friend with a large walk in refrigerated cooler it’s not usually  practical.
That’s why  most of the butchering in the old days was done when the weather was supposed to be 30’s to 40’s for a week or so.

I’ve had my best results by hanging venison or farm raised hog in my garage.
Anytime the weather is in the 30’s is my schedule to take some game meat as it won’t freeze in the garage. Since the temperature isn’t constant I usually hang it for 5 days.

The difference in tenderness, taste and ease of butchering makes it worth the wait.
I live on a farm and can take several deer October through January. I realize that’s not practical for many but if you have a garage and the timing of your hunt is aligned with the weather give it a try.

As OP recommend, never let water or plastic touch the meat. It needs to ‘breathe’ so it can decompose into a fine steak or ham.
I’m not a game bird hunter but when overseas the open air markets would have their table foul hanging for several days. Often way to long for my comfort. Seemed the locals likes them best just before ‘rot’.

Sounds disgusting but the management of the meats natural bacteria is the key to the best taste.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Great intel ^^.  I age in my garage fridge without a problem.  It hovers at 36º and a couple days in there makes a nice difference.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Those pigs look so happy laying there spooning each other
View Quote
Succulent piggies
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#39]
SIL came down this weekend. We hunted hard, didn't see much.

Last night I finally broke the dry spell.

New gun/optic is no longer a virgin either.

woo-hoo, I'm out of picture jail.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:59:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Here's us putting a stalk and SCHWACK on this fat daddy the other night.  I had to flip my NV up to get on the scope, but you get to see the kill and some rodeo skills through the thermal. Two more backstraps for the grill, and another skull for the wall.

Link Posted: 8/2/2019 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Ate the above pig last night. Damn it was good.  When you give your wife a taste and she says "Is there more of that?," you know you did it right!

Link Posted: 8/7/2019 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#42]
More fatties = more work to do!

Link Posted: 8/7/2019 10:55:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
More fatties = more work to do!

https://i.imgur.com/ATA6so7.gif
View Quote
Man that's just plum terrible we can't call in a napalm strike!
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Cuatro mas.  Still sorting through ANVRS and XP50 LRF footage, and trying to work on 4 hours' sleep.

Link Posted: 9/6/2019 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Cuatro mas.  Still sorting through ANVRS and XP50 LRF footage, and trying to work on 4 hours' sleep.

https://i.imgur.com/9mfYotDl.jpg
View Quote
What’s in the box trap?
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 9:23:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What’s in the box trap?
View Quote
Skulls that I take a particular liking to.  The trap lets the dermestid beetles eat the flesh, but keeps the coyotes and other prying critters out.  Bloody fleshy heads go in, white skulls come out.

I mentioned it a couple posts up as well.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Video came out great.

This hunt was a lot of fun. I was able to sync up the NV and thermal footage so you can see what I see. At the beginning of the video, I am using the XP50 LRF’s range-finding feature, which to the careful observer can also be seen in the NV footage as a small dot (that’s the laser).

I was focused on the 4 hogs rooting in the pasture, and did not see the lead sow who had been standing at the edge of the pond to my right. She heard me and ran up the embankment, and that is things got Western. I love Westerns ;)

I forgot my tripod so I had to shoot free handed, and my NV shut off due to the scope hitting it, but I was able to overcome both obstacles and bring the hammer down on 4 out of 5 of these pigs. Forgive the heavy breathing; I had stalked up on this sounder from 350 yards away and my cardio has seen better days.

Link Posted: 9/6/2019 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#48]
The secret to gaminess on ANY animal is to get it on ice, PRONTO.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 6:50:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Which recorders are you using for the nv footage?
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Which recorders are you using for the nv footage?
View Quote
I have played around with a couple. Right now I am using the ANVRS MK3, slightly modified.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top