Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2019 12:07:34 PM EDT
So my older brother is getting into hunting and wanted to go out with me when i deer hunt. I said sure and he could have a rifle in case a coyote decides to come out and play.
In my state it is illegal to hunt anything else with a centerfire rifle or pistol during deer rifle season, unless you have an unfilled deer tag and you are hunting in the same area your tag is good for. Nowhere does it state that rimfire rifles/pistols or shotguns are illegal.
So i have to give my brother a suppressed rimfire rifle to use out to 200ish yards. I only have a .22LR or a .17HMR. obviously the 22 will be quieter with subs, but will it put a coyote down out to a possible 200y? I know people have luck with the 17, but with the supersonic bullet i would hate to shoot a yote and scare a deer away that might be coming in close to our stand. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Can your brother even hit a coyote at 200 yd with a subsonic 22 round?
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#3]
yes.. he knows how to shoot, he just doesn't hunt. and as long as he is going to come out with me i might as well give him something to use against coyotes. Basically i keep going back and forth on if i should use supersonic 17, or a subsonic 22. I want to know other people opinions/experiences on suppressed shots disturbing the wildlife around them.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Skin a coyote and you will see why they are sometimes difficult targets.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I highly doubt you're going to kill a yote w/ a suppressed 22, @200yds. Shot placement will be absolutely critical, as terminal ballistics will be lacking. However, I'd like to see your brother's group, @200, while prone and at paper. Not saying it can't be done, but I doubt it will happen.

Use the 17. I've been quite successful w/ it, at yotes, out to damn near 300.

@200yds, a 20gr 17 will have almost twice the velocity and 4 times the energy of a standard 40gr 22l cartridge.
With the same 50yd zero, it will also have about 4ft less of a drop.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#6]
About 6 yrs ago sitting in a stand 'yote came out at about 50yrds.Grandson popped him with 6.8spc bolt gun.I drug the carcass out of the field and down the road.

Grandson was worried he'd ruined his hunt......30min later a nice 8pnt met the 6.8 @ about 90yrds.....DRT

Just saying deer do funny stuff.

Kill them 'yotes
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Here I don't think there is a game warden that would write you a ticket for shooting a coydog anytime of year unless it was right beside a house.

And one shot at a coydog isn't going to scare deer away. I've been watching deer on our lease when one of the other guys shot a coydog and the deer looked towards the shot, stood there for a minute, and went back to grazing like nothing happened.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
About 6 yrs ago sitting in a stand 'yote came out at about 50yrds.Grandson popped him with 6.8spc bolt gun.I drug the carcass out of the field and down the road.

Grandson was worried he'd ruined his hunt......30min later a nice 8pnt met the 6.8 @ about 90yrds.....DRT

Just saying deer do funny stuff.

Kill them 'yotes
View Quote
was the 6.8 suppressed? also, if you didn't drag the carcass away do you think that buck would have still came in?
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#9]
One well more than one occasion I've killed deer and the others stood there like WTF?

My son shot a nice 8, a 7 and 6 stood there and after a minute started pushing each other around... so he shot the 7.

I shot a nice 8 pestering several doe... he dropped in his tracks and from 20 yards away the doe just started at him for about 5 minutes before walking off.

I've done the same thing with hogs.

Then on the other hand... animals will haul ass when you shoot... bottom line... kill yotes at all cost.

ETA- I killed a nice 8, got out of the stand to check him out, got back in the stand as it was too early to come out of the woods as I was with two other guys, and 45 minutes later a nice 6 walked by.

A couple years ago my brother fired a full 30-round magazine at a pack of dogs on our property minutes before he planned on getting in the stand about 100 yards away. He was pissed thinking he fucked up the afternoon hunt... two hours later he killed a 10.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Hodgi, I think you're over thinking it.

But in any case, if you have questions, I'd call the local G&P officer and ask his POV.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 10:47:55 PM EDT
[#11]
17 without a doubt. Just for terminal performance, with or without the can, but I don't know why you wouldn't use a can.

I honestly wouldn't worry about a shot or two of any suppressed gun in the woods or over the field. The deer shouldn't care unless they're within 100yds.

I've shot out in the woods and scared deer off walking over to get my squirrel... deer are pretty stupid a lot of times.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So my older brother is getting into hunting and wanted to go out with me when i deer hunt. I said sure and he could have a rifle in case a coyote decides to come out and play.
In my state it is illegal to hunt anything else with a centerfire rifle or pistol during deer rifle season, unless you have an unfilled deer tag and you are hunting in the same area your tag is good for. Nowhere does it state that rimfire rifles/pistols or shotguns are illegal.
So i have to give my brother a suppressed rimfire rifle to use out to 200ish yards. I only have a .22LR or a .17HMR. obviously the 22 will be quieter with subs, but will it put a coyote down out to a possible 200y? I know people have luck with the 17, but with the supersonic bullet i would hate to shoot a yote and scare a deer away that might be coming in close to our stand. Thoughts?
View Quote

Chance is when the Deer winds the Coyote it's gone and real fast so lock and load that .22 and smoke the coyote I have killed them with a 10/22 at 100 yards in the past with head and body shots with the body shots they yelp spin and run about 50 yards and I find them dead. With the headshot, they drop right away.  I hunt mostly with .223 and if I miss that coyote trot away a few yards stops and turn around then the .223 reached him before he knew I pulled the trigger.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Use the 17, period. With a silencer, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Granted, the scent of dead coyote laying in your shooting lane might screw things up.

Animals do weird shit. We've all had deer run off because a mouse farted in china, and we've all had them hang around shooting ranges. I've stalked a 8pt from 15 yards away for about 200yds, he wouldn't let me get a shot, then decided to spook because of a car a couple hundred yards away. I've been out blasting squirrel with a shotgun, running the dog, and walked up on deer at <20yds. I've had deer run TO me, walking through the woods, and get scared shitless once they realized I'm a human from literally 4ft away.

Had a doe last year watch my arrow fall off the nock as I drew. She stuck around while I eased down and re-nocked, drew again. I passed on her, too small, but wanted to mess around.

ETA: can you use silencers with your CF for deer? Have brother go buy a deer tag. Maybe you'll get a two-fer.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Was turkey hunting many years ago and during the pre dawn had a coyote at 25m.  Something got her attention as she peered into the trees around me.  Turned broadside and I gave her a 2 3/4" #4 shot load to the broiler room, DRT.  30 mins later had a herd of deer kicking her carcass.

CD
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#15]
aside from the odd caliber restrictions for your state, just send it and shoot the coyote if you see it. The deer may or may not react to the shot, kinda depends on how pressured they are and how early or late it is in the season.

I think it was in 2015, I saw two coyotes that morning and hesitated on shooting them and they were able to get away without me shooting at them. I then had a mature ten point step out and after deciding he was mature, I shot him. He ran out of my line of sight, but in reality it was only about 25 or 30 yards from where I shot him to where he laid down. I gave him about 15 minutes before climbing out of the stand to go check and track him down. As I approached, I could see his rack and I was super pumped as there was no "ground shrinkage" on him and he was a mature big 10. As I approached him, he was laying with his head towards me so his ass end was facing away and I then started to notice there was white hair scattered about the area and blowing around in the breeze. I then walked around to the back end and saw that the entire hind quarters were missing. Those dang coyotes were on that buck and ate his ass out in the 15 or so minutes I waited. That is when the war on coyotes started for me. I now trap, call and hunt coyotes every chance I get.

Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:33:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I have shot totes and bobcats during deer season as well as wild hogs. The deer didnt seem to mind as they still showed up. Varmints never get a pass with me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:47:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
17 without a doubt. Just for terminal performance, with or without the can, but I don't know why you wouldn't use a can.

I honestly wouldn't worry about a shot or two of any suppressed gun in the woods or over the field. The deer shouldn't care unless they're within 100yds.

I've shot out in the woods and scared deer off walking over to get my squirrel... deer are pretty stupid a lot of times.
View Quote

Blasted a squirrel with a 20 gauge. The squirrel was still twitching when a 6 point casually walked in, looked at me, and meandered off.
That deer had no fucks to give.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Subsonic 22 won’t get the job done unless you make a perfect headshot.  I would not recommend this.

I have shot hogs, yokes, and deer and still had other deer come up like nothing happened.  Last year, my son and I were blasting  away at our range for 30 minutes and young 6 pt walked up to check out the targets.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Blasted a squirrel with a 20 gauge. The squirrel was still twitching when a 6 point casually walked in, looked at me, and meandered off.
That deer had no fucks to give.
View Quote

I believe deer have a 6th sense, and know when you're hunting them... they also know where no-hunting and/or property lines are.

I'll go get right up on deer squirrel hunting with the dog. Dammit if I walk around slow and quiet by myself, won't ever see them.

Saw a monster buck late last season. Probably 200yds from the hunting line, in broad daylight. Nobody can manage to see more than a spike in that area.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#20]
If I see coyote while hunting deer I always take the shot but I'm mainly archery.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you’re worried about scaring the deer away, don’t do it.
Personally if I see a coyote, it’s coyote hunting season...deer hunting season will have to be put on hold for a minute

edit: I honestly think both options suck for 200 yards
View Quote

This.  Check out this sweet gobbler I got a few Springs ago.  Came RUNNING into my call.

Coyote SBS by FredMan, on Flickr

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top