Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2019 11:26:26 AM EDT
I have really only hunted from a stationary blind here in TX over a feeder. This season my family got on a lease with opportunity to do some spot and stalk type hunting. My Dad recommended looking at some shooting sticks for stability on off hand shots. Probably a set that pivots into an X configuration and folds together for easy carrying. Distances covered maybe a couple miles, nothing too long distance. Lightweight is a plus.

What are your favorite shooting sticks that could possibly double as hiking stick, or are just a nice for stalking. What type works best in the field? Is there something else I should consider?

Budget around $100.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#1]
They sell these at Wal-Mart's, other retail stores and they workngreat for a shooting/walking stick.

I have one, I cant recall if its primos or some other brand but it has been of good use for me in the woods and at the range/pit. Also under $40.

Link Posted: 8/19/2019 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Trigger sticks work well but a a bit of a pita to carry.

Folding sticks transport better.
Like these:
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/shooting-equipment/bipods-tripods-shooting-sticks/bog-pod-deadly-silent-shooting-stick/p/1411755?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn-bvwNSP5AIVAR-GCh32EgSrEAQYDSABEgKJDfD_BwE

I use both types depending on what I’m doing. The folding sticks are always in my day pack. On my hip if the likelihood of action is more imminent.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 5:05:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a tripod, rifle clips right onto it in place of range finder or spotting scope...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Bog pod shooting sticks with the metal tipped feet have served me very well over the years. My African PH buddies love them as well.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 5:42:04 PM EDT
[#5]
A little over your budget, but the Primos Trigger stick is great.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Trigger sticks work well but a a bit of a pita to carry.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I use a Bog Pod aluminum tripod:

https://www.amazon.com/BOG-POD-CLD-3-Shooting-Camo-Tripod/dp/B001RN0JA0/ref=sr_1_4?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9Z3H1L2R5AIVjY3ICh0PhQMUEAAYAiAAEgL4FPD_BwE&hvadid=174228804428&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1017535&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=e&hvrand=17407298179829025986&hvtargid=kwd-12899066880&hydadcr=9378_9621500&keywords=bog-pod+tripod&qid=1566305277&s=gateway&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=8-4

Last 3 seasons I've killed 3 bucks off it all over 200 yds. It's light enough to carry and stable enough to shoot off. Where we hunt in western KS, the grass is generally too tall to go prone, so the majority of my shots are sitting/kneeling. About 30% of my hunting practice is shot off the Bog Pog. I have the short model and I strap it to my daypack. Pic of my then 13 year old practicing off it with his REM M7 in .260:

Link Posted: 8/20/2019 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#8]
The Primos line is the best and easiest to operate. Well worth the money. I personally use the mono pod and some hunting buds use the bipod, so this opinion is from actual use.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you all for the suggestions.

It looks like a few like the tripods, however I will be hunting Texas Hill country where long shots are unlikely. I may walk up on an animal with 50 yards and need a bit quicker deployment than a tripod can offer. That is why I am initially looking at Bi-Pod style that I can carry fully extended and fold out in a few seconds. Anyone use this style and have a favorite?

Bog Pod seems well liked, and priced right. I will do some more research on them.

I will look closer at Primos as well. Bit spendy, but I appreciate good gear.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A little over your budget, but the Primos Trigger stick is great.
View Quote
They are well worth the few extra dollars that you'll spend.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Bog Pod tripod.  You can use it as a hiking stick, and if a quick shot is needed, you've already got it set up as a mono pod.  Carry with 2 legs extended and you've got a quick bipod.  find a nice hilltop you can sit down and glass from?  set it up as a tripod, get the binocular support accessory, and glass all day from the tripod.  See a buck 375 yards across the valley bed down?  pop the binoculars off, put the single gun rest back in (or even better, the 2 support gun rest), and take the shot.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 9:29:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Bog pod. Way easier than a trigger stick.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I use a tripod, rifle clips right onto it in place of range finder or spotting scope...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/fullsizeoutput_4d6_jpeg-1060187.JPG
View Quote
THAT is a beautiful rifle!!!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 8:22:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an old pair of Stoney Point shooting sticks.  They look like tent poles with the elastic in them and once you take them out of the holder they fall right into place.  I've used them quite a bit.  Longest shot using them was just under 500yds on my speed goat two years ago.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll probably be picking up a Bog Pod or Primos bipod setup for this season. I think the tripod would be unwieldy to carry by hand for any length of time. The lease is a little dense, so I will not have time to pull a tripod off of a pack and set up for a shot. No large valleys in the area we are hunting. I will get an additional tripod set if I think more stability is needed for sitting in the blind after we give it a try this season. I'll try the bipod configuration for starters.

Thanks for all the replies.

Anyone use the Caldwell Dead Shot Field Pod? Seems to get decent reviews online. NOT what I'm looking for, but interesting non-the-less.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 4:21:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'll probably be picking up a Bog Pod or Primos bipod setup for this season. I think the tripod would be unwieldy to carry by hand for any length of time. The lease is a little dense, so I will not have time to pull a tripod off of a pack and set up for a shot. No large valleys in the area we are hunting. I will get an additional tripod set if I think more stability is needed for sitting in the blind after we give it a try this season. I'll try the bipod configuration for starters.

Anyone use the Caldwell Dead Shot Field Pod? Seems to get decent reviews online. NOT what I'm looking for, but interesting non-the-less.
View Quote
Tons of shooting sticks on sale, 30-50% off at midway usa right now.  
You can get a bog pod tripod with 2 point rifle rest for $40 cheaper than the dead shot field pod if you take advantage of the sale.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
We carry our tripods fully extended with the legs folded closed over our shoulder, normally with a spotting scope on it..makes it simple to throw up quick and get a look or one lever and the scope is off and the rifle on...We hunt very open ground with very thick brush ...

There is a bull moose walking around in there...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 9:18:31 AM EDT
[#19]
You can make your own easily.  Couple slats, bolt, washers and a wing nut.  Another method that the buffalo hunters used was couple of sticks with a lashing.

Grandson over shooting sticks made as mentioned.
Attachment Attached File

Lashings

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top