Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2021 8:21:16 PM EDT

So I'm thinking:  Flour is dirt cheap ($6 for 20lbs delivered from Walmart).  Bread tastes good, fills you up, and goes with almost anything.  Would be cool if I had a recipe using only non-refrigerated ingredients.  Better yet if it was all powdered ingredients that could be pre-mixed and brought on camping or hunting trips.

But it tastes off.  A bit like biscuits frosted with baking soda frankly.

After a few trials here is where I ended up:

1 cup white flour
1/4 cup of Nido Fortificado milk powder
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
water until it forms a dough.
Knead and cook at 350 until browned.

Its....just OK.  Far from good, but edible.  Most of the recipes for Irish Soda Bread that I found include eggs and buttermilk, which is fine but I figure in an emergency on or on the trail it would be nice not to need them.  Anyone ever tried this and been successful?  I know you need an acid for the soda, which is why I added the baking powder.  It did rise, but was fairly "cake-ish".
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I did bannock bread, flour , water, baking powder. Done. If you want fancy bannock bread you can add things like blueberries and maple syrup, or pearl sugar and some icing...
Or bacon chopped
Up then add some shredded cheddar on top(not shell stable) but it is awesome.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:18:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did bannock bread, flour , water, baking powder. Done. If you want fancy bannock bread you can add things like blueberries and maple syrup, or pearl sugar and some icing...
Or bacon chopped
Up then add some shredded cheddar on top(not shell stable) but it is awesome.
View Quote

Yep, I actually make bannocks for breakfast fairly regular.  I actually make them from oat flour just because I like it that way.

Ground up oats, dash of salt, dash of power, and water.  Great breakfast food fried.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#3]
For camping I would go with a flatbread rather than a quick bread.  This one has very few ingredients, all shelf-stable.
https://www.inspiredtaste.net/46128/no-yeast-flatbread/
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:23:28 PM EDT
[#4]
My johnny cakes are typically;

Cup flour
cup corn meal
4 tsp baking powder
Tbsp sugar
2 TBSP powdered milk if you have it.

anything to make it yummy!!  Have done everything from chocolate chips to bacon, honey on top, craisons, raisons, dried banana chips, blueberries, etc, etc.

Doc
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top