Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2022 9:46:24 AM EDT
I decided to resume fly fishing for panfish after several decades off and being frugal (cheap), I also decided to use my old rod and reel with which I had some successes in those days. Also decided to give the reel a cleaning which turned out to be a questionable decision. You see, after carefully disassembling the works and cleaning, re-lubing, etc., I found I did not know the "magic trick" to rewind the drive spring--yes, even after carefully reading the instructions. I've tried a couple of ways and haven't yet figgered' it out. Anybody having success doing this, please let me know or, perhaps you know of a website or maybe a repair shop that might be able to do the "trick." As I live by the Big Lake in SW MI, a recommendation for a repair guy in this region would also be appreciated. Couple of photos of the reel and sadly, the sprung spring.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#1]
After going to a couple of vintage fishing sites and then experimenting with a couple of different techniques for gripping the drive spring while winding it and at the same time holding the green cap, I found the "magic trick" and got the drive spring inside the green cap. Had to diddle with the drive gears a couple of times, but it works just as it did a few decades ago. Now, almost ready to get my daily limit of gills!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top