Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 8:23:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$450 for the unit, and $200 worth of batteries to make it run, all for 1800W?   I think I'd just carry a generator.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For charging multiple batteries I use the DeWalt DCB1800 watt portable power station (yeah, its overkill but so awesome):
https://www.dewalt.com/products/gear-and-equipment/generators-and-portable-power/1800-watt-portable-power-station-and-simultaneous-battery-charger/dcb1800b
It also charges the FlexVolt batteries.  Not only can you charge up to 4 batteries simultaneously, but you can use use it as a "generator" (but doesn't need fuel!).  It provides 15amps of juice (1800 watts) for quite a while (you need 4 fully charged batteries, and the larger capacity batteries are recommended for this).   It will run pretty much any corded tool, or power your fridge, etc.  
$450 for the unit, and $200 worth of batteries to make it run, all for 1800W?   I think I'd just carry a generator.
Who pays msrp?   I got mine bare tool for under $250 shipped.  Already have lots of batteries (which can be found locally on craigslist & facebook marketplace pretty cheap).
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:17:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:29:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:34:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:54:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 1:04:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 1:05:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 1:06:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 1:38:42 AM EDT
[#9]
One reason the 5 gallon setup weighs more is it is rated to way more pressure.  So thicker walls in the tank.  And if this is an older sort of setup, probably more metal in it than what the new compressor uses since new stuff will go with way more plastic where it can do so.  To some extent consider the 5 gallon compressor is 2.5 of your little compressor just in tank size.

No issue with you being a rule follower.  I read instructions after I fail to get something new assembled and working.  My opinion is they want you to remove air pressure for safety reasons so that is fine.  I suck at being a rule follower on a lot of stuff.

When you get into high draw electrical items, I read about winches forever so gonna use that as the example, you get into a game of electrical energy available as well as how much energy the winch needs.

Say the jeep is upside down.  Kinda don't want to run the engine if it is upside down so the winch is gonna run on battery power only.  Lot of folks install a larger battery in their jeep if they only have 1 battery.  And a whole lot of folks buy a kit to install a 2nd battery in their jeep as well.  So if jeep is upside down, should not take a lot to make it roll over and battery power is fine.

But lets say jeep wants to climb a steep hill or something and can't do so with just 4x4.  Run that cable all the way out and want to do one big long pull all at once will probably drain the battery if that is all you use for the steep hill.  In this instance, letting the jeep run helps the alternator charge the battery while the battery is running the winch.

This is simplified, there is tons more people do to add electrical capacity or help the winch work easier which means it needs less power but probably needs less power for a longer period of time.

Anyway, want to charge your batteries with stuff in the vehicle look at what the battery charges need power wise and you just need a cute little baby invertor.  Want to run a corded sawz all, probably gonna need a bigger invertor.

With vehicle stuff I try to buy things either 12 volt or made for vehicle plug outlets or clamping on the battery.  There will be some wasted electricity if you get an invertor because you are changing 12volts to 120 volts.

Size an invertor much as you would size a generator.  You want to run x then you need to be able to not just run x but also get it started.  An electrical motor has a higher draw when starting up than it does once running, same as sizing generator for your fridge or freezer or whatever.

In some cases it may be cheaper for you to buy the 2 cycle 900 watt generator from harbor freight and charge batteries off it but then you have the generator running.  An invertor could do its job with the vehicle doors shut and locked.

On the post about pulling the mower onto the trailer, if your trailer has the round tubes you could basically wrap the rope around the front tube and tie it to mower with one end and start pulling with other end.  This would be sorta like getting a pulley and putting it on the front of the trailer, but I would recomend a pulley instead.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 1:51:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 3:42:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd forget about the electric winch if your only need is "just in case".  I have one on my dump trailer that I use the shit out of only because I was always buying dead equipment or other machinery that had to be dragged up onto the trailer.  I would recommend a chain come a long with a 20' chain.  I picked one up off amazon for around $100 if I remember correctly.  I kind of prefer to use that sometimes just for the control and automatic braking.  Last time I used it was cutting down 3 big evergreen trees.  Had houses and powerlines close by and wanted to guarantee where they fell.  Hooked to my trailer for one and to other tree trunks for the others.  Had the neighbor slowly tighten as I cut.

I think this is the one I got.  There are some cheaper ones with other brand names on them if you look.

https://www.amazon.com/Ratcheting-Lever-Block-Chain-Hoist/dp/B01FOQK824/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=3%2F4+ton+20+ft+lever+chain+hoist&qid=1563781233&s=gateway&sr=8-6
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I went fishing last night and this occurred to me this morning. How about a manual boat trailer winch for the trailer? Most seem to use straps these days, but if you can find one with a cable you could add a pulley too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm set up like this.

150amp forklift battery connectors with 1/0 SO wire. (soft welding type cable)

The first one is hard bolted to the battery terminals.

A 15' section with jumper cable leads. They came from the welding house, takes two hands to open them.

Another 20'ish section of cable that will get the inverter away from engine heat or get power to a winch mounted on the trailer.

Have a 12,000lb winch that I need to build a trailer receiver mount for. That way I can stick it in the truck or on front of the trailer.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So...does the invertor ride around under the hood of your truck?   Or --what I think you're saying--you keep it somewhere else and hook it up when you need it?

What size is that invertor and does it run whatever you need easily?
View Quote
It's a 1500watt. Picked it up on clearance somewhere for 40 bucks.

Lives in the tool box in a padded cardboard box.

It will run the blender.

The wiring set-up is more than adequate for a bigger one, I just haven't needed it.

ETA: FABCO wants you to call for a pricing quote. I can't even guess a budget number.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I did not see where you asked about capacity of boat winch stuff.

You should be able to look at various boat winches and find different ratios.

A rolling mower is not hard to move on flat ground.  Put it in neutral and lean against it and it rolls away.  Always put it in park before using it to lean against.  :D

Anyway, if you are considering dragging it onto the trailer then look for a boat winch with more capacity.  Flat tire or out of a ditch or whatever.

I would make certain you mount the winch very very well.  If it is pulling with x force then its mounting setup is seeing that much force.

Harbor freight and national tool or whatever some of those other ones are have boat winches you can read about on their web sites.

Someone above mentioned the chain winch thing as well.

There are a lot of options.  Some are more portable than others.

If you buy an electric winch and mount it and a battery on the trailer you will want something to keep the battery happy.  I would go more along the lines of monster jumper cables and run it off the trucks battery.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 11:26:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Youtube is a good place to go watch some videos on winches.

Side x side toys have winches that are smaller than what a big 4x4 truck will have.

You can probably run a search on "loading old mower" or something like that and see how other folks do stuff.  Some are examples of what not to do.

The tube has its good and bad points.  I have never had a tube trailer and I am used to just doing what I want with my angle iron trailers.  Never bent or damaged em personally but bought em slightly bent or damaged and all I did was straighten it out and then put a piece of metal over it to strengthen that weak spot.

You can research come a longs, boat winches, electric winches, and different weight capacity stuff playing around on youtube and killing some time.

I figure the tongue of your trailer is square tubing, I am too lazy to go see if you posted pics of whole trailer or not.

Some people put a winch in the back of the main vehicle and use it to winch things onto trailer.  I don't really like this because the trailer ball and hitch pin are now taking the load as the item is pulled onto the trailer.  If the winch is mounted on the trailer, the trailer ball and hitch pin just see more normal forces.  Within reason, no biggy.  But potential oops is there so I like winch on item being pulled or on trailer pulling item onto it.  Note I just haul little pieces of stuff on single axle trailer.

Anyway, if you research "portable" winches you will find a bunch of mounting plates that go into a hitch receiver.  Some folks then modify the trailer with bracing and a hitch receiver and can slide this winch mount into it and that way the winch is able to be locked up normally and is out of the weather always.  If you mount a battery and stuff on the front of your trailer you will add a decent bit of tongue weight to it.  Not that big a problem but something to consider.

One thing about the round tubing, within reason, is rope or a strap will "slip" around this easier than the square tubing.  Item at ramp of trailer has rope attached to it, run rope forwards and around tube and back down to item.  You pull on loose end of rope and tube is kind of giving you a pulley setup with this.  I don't like this that much though cause you bend your tube I am not sure what cost to repair would be.  Angle iron, I mentioned above not a big whup in my opinion.  I can also see inside and outside of my angle iron.  Would suck in 5 years to find out you have a weak spot rusting from the inside and your "pulley" setup has a hiccup cause of that.

Have you researched the crappy cheap ratchet come a longs?  I don't like em cause they seem fiddly to me at times but they are better than using the ratchet straps I sometimes use.

A winch is just turning force and distance around for you.  Less force over greater distance lets it get the work done easier.  Does not matter if you are supply force or electric motor is.  Boat winch that cranks in circle amuses me but I have not really mounted one permanently.

They make bigger crank winches you run by hand, but due to forces involved weight goes up a lot.

Play on youtube.  Consider what you have and what would work best for you.  A small 2k lb electric winch does not cost much.  A huge, and I mean monster sized, set of jumper cables made for jumping a diesel truck will cost a lot but could also be used to just clip on that winch and run it so you don't have to mount the battery to it.  Still need to mount winch and jumper cables are heavy and annoying to pop hood or you could rig up something like the military plug in jumper cables to run the little winch.  But I like monster jumper cables because they are also jumper cables.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#24]
I read a few posts in the first page, so this may have been covered:

In my experience, you will run across a few common issues with small engines:

Electrical issues
Fuel filters
fouled plugs at the worst time
clogged/gummed carbs
broken pull ropes
holes in tires.

All of those things you can fix in the field (maybe not cleaning carbs, but that generally doesn't sneak up on you).

What I would pack:
  • Electrical wire/connectors/quality crimper/fuse holders/fuse assortments of what you use. Also pack an extra ignition module if feasible for your mower. Also pack a multi-meter for quick diagnostics, along with a "spark plug spark checker" thing to see if you are getting spark.
  • Extra fuel filters for everything
  • Extra spark plugs for everything
  • Extra pull rope
  • Tire repair stuff (plugs, tools for nail/screw/offending object removal)
  • Any specialty tools to change any of the above
  • DC air compressor; battery powered (truck battery).
  • Extra oil for everything
  • Grease gun and extra tube of grease
  • General hand tool kit
  • Complete spare tire/rim all mounted and ready to go for your mower, tools to change
  • Come-along pair and loop-knotted cable (or chain and switch the hooks on the come-along) as mentioned before
  • Extra mounted tire for your TRAILER, tools to change
  • Extra mower blades, tools to change
I personally would only pack what will get you out of 75% of jams, and keep it minimalist until if/when you get a regular locking utility box truck. Shit WILL get stolen from you, so its best to keep that exposure to a minimum IMHO.

Get to know every sound your equipment makes. My wife used to (and still does on occasion) give me shit about hearing the slightest off-noise from the vehicles and saying "well, this needs to be changed". Yes, it still runs and you can't "tell" anything is wrong, but I heard that belt idler squeak, so I know it WILL go out and leave me stranded. I'd rather change it now, when I'm ready for it. Fix stuff at home the MOMENT you know something isn't right. When you are greasing/changing oil, otherwise servicing your machines, look them over for stuff that isn't right. This should also be done every day when you are done for the day, and keep a log of what you notice. When your dead tired, its easy to forget to change that idler bearing or that you chipped a mower blade, etc., and completely skip the repairs before heading out again.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Regarding if you really want to go with an electric winch of some sort:

You have 2 options: bigger winch and single line pull

OR

Smaller winch and pulleys to multiply your torque and a few resets per pull.

The smaller winch has some advantages worth considering though:
  • Lower purchase cost
  • Lower power supply cable needs (cheaper)
  • Less weight on the tongue of your trailer (important for hooking/unhooking your trailer)
  • Less attractive to steal
  • Cheaper to replace if stolen/broken, because "send out" warranties that take 6-8 weeks are basically no warranties, and you know this.
For the battery, get a deep cycle battery (deep cycles are made to be run low on voltage/charge) that can give the amperage output your winch needs at full draw, and run your winch power supply wires to match or exceed that. For charging your battery; this is easy. Your truck should have a wire in the 7-round connector SPECIFICALLY to keep trailer batteries charged when the engine is running. Just hook it up! Will it charge the battery fast enough to run your winch? Not by a long shot, but if you size your battery to have enough amp hours to do a pull (maybe 2), you should be GTG assuming you drive the truck more than 10 minutes to get home. Its a good idea would be to test your battery when you get home after you used it, see if it needs to be put on the charger for a while. Push come to shove if your winch battery dies during a pull, run your jumper cables from your truck battery (keep the engine running obviously) back to your winch battery. Kind of hard on the winch battery to dump amps in it like that, but it will survive. You could also connect your jumps up right away if you KNOW it will be a long/multiple pull event. Just keeps everything full (to the alternator's capacity).

For actual winch sizing, I would say get a 2500 pound winch. It will take more force than you think to pull the mower up ANY kind of ramp. Also keep in mind the duty cycle of the winch: they need a lot of time to cool after not running very long.

Obviously, whatever you do (winch or come-alongs), do a practice load from home. That way you know exactly what to expect, how to do it, any changes to your plan needed, and you won't look like a first-time amateur when you load up at a customer's place.

Oh, one more thing: ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS have a lithium jump starter pack big enough for your truck. Those things are AWESOME, and have saved my bacon a few times. Don't use it for a phone charger or otherwise like a power bank, it is dedicated (in all but true emergencies) as a jump starter. I keep a separate lithium power pack for power pack needs.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 11:56:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 12:50:43 AM EDT
[#27]
I have this one, starts my 6.8 liter v10.

BASAF Car Jump Starter 1200A Peak,12V Portable Battery Pack (up to 8.0L Gas, 6.0L Diesel Engine), Power Bank Type-C in/Out and Dual USB Quick Charge Ports https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DQNSZ8L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_IxOoDbNFFDQ6B

Italso started my 5.4 in a pickup similar to yours. It was actually easier to start the v10! The 5.4 must not have as much gear reduction on the starter? I tested it on both with the battery disconnected: it was all done with the jump pack.

I wouldn't go much smaller.

They are spendy,  but oh so worth it IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 12:53:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 1:35:09 AM EDT
[#29]
didnt read the whole thread may have been settled already but I have one of these aircompressors and I have beat the shit out of it in the desert inflating 32's on my jeep and its been solid. take care of it and use it correctly and it should last a very long time.

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-compressors/air-compressors-tanks/12volt-150-psi-compact-air-compressor-63184.html

you need to start it with the hose unhooked to it can spin up and then connect the hose thats attached to the tire.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#30]
The battery in your vehicle will have cca, cold cranking amps, on its label.  There is also cranking amps as well.

A jump starter pack for a v8 will pretty much start any v6 and 4 cylinder and most v8s.  As mentioned in the post with the v10 starting easier than some v8s there are variations.

There are jump starter packs for diesel pickups and there are packs for diesel big rigs.

A site like amazon will let you enter your vehicle info into the site.  Then when looking at something, windsheild wipers, it often tells you if this item fits your vehicle or not.  Now some parts are entered wrong, so don't just trust the site as always being perfect.

I don't know if the jump start packs would show under working for your vehicle or not.  For prime day amazon had a nice noco pack on sale.  Today's lithium jump starter packs are tiny compared to what we had 20 some years ago.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The battery in your vehicle will have cca, cold cranking amps, on its label.  There is also cranking amps as well.

A jump starter pack for a v8 will pretty much start any v6 and 4 cylinder and most v8s.  As mentioned in the post with the v10 starting easier than some v8s there are variations.

There are jump starter packs for diesel pickups and there are packs for diesel big rigs.

A site like amazon will let you enter your vehicle info into the site.  Then when looking at something, windsheild wipers, it often tells you if this item fits your vehicle or not.  Now some parts are entered wrong, so don't just trust the site as always being perfect.

I don't know if the jump start packs would show under working for your vehicle or not. For prime day amazon had a nice noco pack on sale.  Today's lithium jump starter packs are tiny compared to what we had 20 some years ago.
View Quote
Part in bold is a negative.

The sellers do list "starts up to xx liter gasoline engine", but consider those as a warm engine in a warm climate. I'm honestly not sure if my jump pack will start my V10 on its own in the dead of a MN winter, but it did give it a jump on a battery that just "clicked" early this spring, started up just fine, and start it all on its own in 60-ish degree weather on a cold engine.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#32]
She has a v6 in her vehicle I think.  And she will get the point to pay attention to what it can do and not consider it a do everything.

I mostly consider these jump packs more of a "helper" for a battery that got drained overnight vs. jumping a totally dead battery that is junk from sitting for years and your jump pack is gonna do everything.

Winter morning with old battery I should have changed is what I am most likely to need the jump pack for.  And go drive to someplace to sell me new battery to swap out there.

Or, help others.

The help others I am not gonna worry about trying to cover every single base.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#33]
If its a V6 and not the V8 in her truck, the pack I have is honestly overkill.

I like overkill though .
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 1:57:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's a V8.

It sucks gas like a pig sucks slop.

Just sayin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If its a V6 and not the V8 in her truck, the pack I have is honestly overkill.

I like overkill though .
It's a V8.

It sucks gas like a pig sucks slop.

Just sayin.
Sure sounds like a Ford modular engine
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 1:14:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 10:40:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 11:06:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:17:02 AM EDT
[#39]
12 volt automotive "can't" kill you. But can burn you and arc, spark, and cause fires.

A jump pack is a self rescue tool. Jumper cables need something to jump off of.

Good jumper cables are in fact pay to play.

Jumper cables can act as temporary high amp wiring (almost like they were designed for that...) For things like a winch. Jump pack put out high amps for a few seconds, but they can't run something like a winch.

Household current is constantly changing polarity; the electrons are taking one step forward, one step back. The neutral is something to have potential against, ground is safety. That is why 240v doesn't need a neutral: they have potential against each other. This is called "alternating current".

Automotive wiring is "direct current". The electrons have to travel from the battery, though the wiring, through the load, then all the way back to the battery.

That is a lot of movement. It's also basically impossible to electrocute yourself because your body is a bad conductor. The low voltage also plays a part in that though.

So household power is like a ratcheting wrench: back and forth to do the work. Automotive is a standard wrench you turn round and round to do the work.

Clear as mud?
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:21:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:23:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:41:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

@Rat_Patrol

SO...for this thread..

Explain pay to play.

What should I expect at certain pay levels for cables?

Don't include the $30 stuff.  That's just toys, based on my judgement.
View Quote
If the cables are pure copper wire, not copper coated aluminum, they are good (about guarantee if they are using that good of cable, the clamps are gtg), just get the size wire you need. Compare the cranking amps of your battery to the ratings on the cables.

I think I paid around $65 for a decent set on Amazon.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:49:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:50:33 AM EDT
[#44]
240 volt in your house isn't actually 240 volts.

It only is because it cheats.

A 240 volt circuit always consists of at least 2 wires, both hot.

That is all that is needed, technically (but it should always have safety ground).

Why?

A 240v circuit is actually 2x 120 volt lines. The cheat is they are from opposite legs of your panel. When side A on your panel is positive, the other is negative. While they are only ever 120 volts from neutral, since they are opposite polarity, they are 240 volts from each other. A graphic makes this easy to understand.

Automotive has no such wizardry. Seriously, don't fear automotive wiring.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:52:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Okay that's a great help!

I never thought to look at what the wire was.

I assume that my battery is as big as I should buy, since I can't help somebody with anything bigger, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the cables are pure copper wire, not copper coated aluminum, they are good (about guarantee if they are using that good of cable, the clamps are gtg), just get the size wire you need. Compare the cranking amps of your battery to the ratings on the cables.

I think I paid around $65 for a decent set on Amazon.
Okay that's a great help!

I never thought to look at what the wire was.

I assume that my battery is as big as I should buy, since I can't help somebody with anything bigger, right?
You can always buy bigger, won't hurt anything but the wallet. I start semi trucks with the same pickup as you all the time.

Personally, I would never jump anybody with cables. Liability. Jump packs are protected against mistakes.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 1:00:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 1:28:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Wat?

You said earlier that jump packs were for self rescue.

You seem to be saying the opposite here. *raises eyebrow*
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can always buy bigger, won't hurt anything but the wallet. I start semi trucks with the same pickup as you all the time.

Personally, I would never jump anybody with cables. Liability. Jump packs are protected against mistakes.
Wat?

You said earlier that jump packs were for self rescue.

You seem to be saying the opposite here. *raises eyebrow*
You are just borrowing a tool so they can rescue themselves
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 1:31:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 10:05:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
No.....explain the whole liability thing and why you won't jump somebody with cables?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.....explain the whole liability thing and why you won't jump somebody with cables?

Some vehicles these days have funky quirks regarding being jumped.  My wife's BMW (early 2010s) for instance.  If done incorrectly it goes into some "valet" mode or something.  I bet as time goes on and vehicles get more and more electronics and fancier computers, they only want you to jump a certain way.  It used to just be hook it up to the battery and do it, but now there might be specific jump points to use.

If you do that to someone's car, or something worse happens such as a vehicle fire, you don't want to be liable for that.  If they hook up the cables themselves then you should be immune from liability.  And, most states do have good Samaritan laws to help you, but it would still suck to go through that hassle, all for just trying to help someone.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Some vehicles these days have funky quirks regarding being jumped.  My wife's BMW (early 2010s) for instance.  If done incorrectly it goes into some "valet" mode or something.  I bet as time goes on and vehicles get more and more electronics and fancier computers, they only want you to jump a certain way.  It used to just be hook it up to the battery and do it, but now there might be specific jump points to use.

If you do that to someone's car, or something worse happens such as a vehicle fire, you don't want to be liable for that.  If they hook up the cables themselves then you should be immune from liability.  And, most states do have good Samaritan laws to help you, but it would still suck to go through that hassle, all for just trying to help someone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

AND

• Some vehicles are sensitive enough that if you connect the clamps in the wrong order, you can damage control modules.
  • If you accidentally spark a positive to ground, can damage electronics
  • If you accidentally put the battery cables on backwards, even for just a second, bad things can easily happen
Basically if anything happens during the jump, even if it wasn't your fault, vehicles are sensitive enough, and people are sue happy enough to drag you through court so they don't have to pay for their car repair, that I won't do it.

It can all be avoided by handing them a jump pack and advising them how to clamp it on the batteries. All you did was loan them a tool.

Added perk: you taught them how to do something and an good piece of equipment to have. Maybe they will learn from it. They probably won't, but you never know.

And now that I have my jump pack, the only thing I use jump cables for is using my pickup to jump my semi truck, and that is only until I spring for $600 in new batteries for it.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top