Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 12/6/2019 1:27:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RangemasterP226]
I’ve been doing a fair amount of duck and pheasant hunting lately, and I’m thinking of finally upgrading from my Remington 870. I certainly don’t hate it and I am quite the expert with it, but if I do upgrade, not sure which way to go? Any opinions out there ? Get both? LOL

I love the classic lines and feel of a quality Over/Under like the Browning Citori. But maybe I’d be better off with a Beretta A350 or A400?
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 1:34:40 AM EDT
[#1]
If there's no magazine limit, auto all day. Otherwise over/unders are sexy af
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 2:04:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BIGSHOOTER414:
If there's no magazine limit, auto all day. Otherwise over/unders are sexy af
View Quote

Skilled shooters shoot double guns.
I shoot a double Silver Pigeon for upland Game and a Browning Cynergy for ducks and geese.
Little will shape ones shooting more than a double barrel in the field and on the water. 3rd shots just cripple birds.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 2:04:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: johnh57] [#3]
I hunt with a Beretta 686 and a Beretta a400.  I like the a400 for waterfowl, because 3 shots (and 3-1/2" if the geese are in).  I like the 686 for pheasant, although if the weather is poor I'll take the a400.

I do use the 686 for ducks sometimes, it's not camoed up like the a400.  I think I've been busted by ducks more than once because of the shiny receiver.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 8:18:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JPK] [#4]
Keep the pump for waterfowl.

Get the O/U for pheasants and fair weather waterfowl.

Guns I use for waterfowl:
10ga SxS for geese when there is no possibility of ducks.
12ga SxS for duck hunting when I know conditions aren’t going to be sloppy.
12ga 3 1/2” pump for mixed ducks and geese and sloppy conditions.

For all upland I use a 12ga SxS.

There isn’t an auto made that can stand some of the miserable conditions that waterfowl hunting can entail.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 8:41:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#5]
Originally Posted By RangemasterP226:
I’ve been doing a fair amount of duck and pheasant hunting lately, and I’m thinking of finally upgrading from my Remington 870. I certainly don’t hate it and I am quite the expert with it, but if I do upgrade, not sure which way to go? Any opinions out there ? Get both? LOL

I love the classic lines and feel of a quality Over/Under like the Browning Citori. But maybe I’d be better off with a Beretta A350 or A400?
View Quote
I'm a shotgun guy, but I'm not a hunter so take the following with a huge grain of salt . . .

For waterfowl hunting, I'd get a modern semi-auto (probably with a synthetic stock). My understanding is that waterfowl hunting often is done near and even in water. Guns get wet. Also, if I'm not mistaken, waterfowl hunters sit down a lot and spend time in blinds. A break-open (over/under) is going to be a pain in the ass in a duck blind. Semi-auto -- especially one you can get wet -- makes more sense to me.

If I were walking fields, hunting upland game I would probably grab a side-by-side or perhaps an Ithaca 37 pump from my safe. Again, just seems like the right tool for the job. I know a lot of folks hunt with semi-autos but I don't like the idea of tossing spent hulls all over God's green Earth. Yeah, the Ithaca ejects shells, too, but it's easier to control empties with a pump. The double gun just seems more civilized all around. I have one over/under that's fairly light that I could see taking on a hunting trip, but the side-by-side seems like a better choice. Again, I'm not a hunter, just a shotgun nut.

I love over/unders for the clays games. Shooting skeet, sporting clays, 5-stand a over/under is just perfect. It's easy to move from station to station with the action open and showing safe. You're only shooting two shots at a time and you don't load until you're in the shooting station. The over/under just fits these sports really well and also fits in with the vibe of the gun club.

The Browning Citori is a pretty heavy gun. You sure you want to haul that around the pheasant fields?
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 12:26:55 PM EDT
[#6]
What kind of pheasant and what kind of duck hunting?  Are we talking miles and miles of trudging through cattails for jump ducks and pheasants or are we talking decoying ducks and put and take pheasants at your local preserve.  Or something in between?

If you're a heavy decoying duck hunter, pick a heavier smoother swinging auto, Benelli SBE, Beretta, etc... if you're an in-between guy a Browning 686, Browning Citori, or a lighter weight Auto like a benelli montefeltro is the gun you seek.  If you're a big walking guy, the ultralight o/u's and auto's will server you well.

I'd lean more towards an auto being a duck hunter, as ground swatting cripples on the water is a big component of duck hunting and it's nice having that third shell for this purpose.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 1:59:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Idaholandho:

Skilled shooters shoot double guns.
I shoot a double Silver Pigeon for upland Game and a Browning Cynergy for ducks and geese.
Little will shape ones shooting more than a double barrel in the field and on the water. 3rd shots just cripple birds.
View Quote
Yeah....no. Put down the fudd magazines.

OP...get what you want and don’t base your desire off of lame excuses. O/U’s have their place in the field and are immensely fun for small bird hunting. For duck and geese I personally like a quality auto like a Benelli SBE. I’ve taken 3 birds with three shots on several occasions. Have fun!
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#8]
If I could only have one I would get a semi-auto (Benelli M1/M2 for me). If not limited to one, I’d love a nice O/U for upland birds also (Beretta 686 20g for me).
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I like a gas gun for recoil reduction when I'm dove hunting.  I think i went through 4 or 5 boxes of shells last year without a sore shoulder.

Not that 2 3/4 #7.5 is really recoil heavy, but i always get one or two shots that i don't mount the gun quite right and end up tender.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 7:00:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Auto all day long.  Grandad used to hunt with a O/U- he loved it.   Nothing in our blind anymore but berettas (which I would highly recomend).  Im a gas gun fan, my last beretta had over 10k rounds through it.  But either way a benelli of the sorts would suit you fine as well, i would try and shoot both before you commit.  Side by side you can tell a difference in operating system.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 8:06:55 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote
Gentlemen hunter = O/U
Real hunter = Benelli.
I used an 870 for years, but shooting a few boxes of shells with a Benelli is so much nicer on my shoulder.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I use my auto in the duck blind, where I have to wade and slog through mud and water and thorns and shit.

I use my SxS dove hunting, where I'm sitting on the edge of a field with no mud.

I like both of them.  I actually got some bismuth shells for my SxS (it's 70+ years old) to take it duck hunting but haven't done it yet.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#13]
OP, nothing wrong with sticking with a pump gun for double duty.  Some of the best waterfowl hunters I know still run BPS or Nova pumps.  That being said, most guys that waterfowl seriously are running semi-autos from Benelli, Beretta, Browning/Winchester, or Franchi.  Toss in some Remingtons as well, V3 and 1187 (don't get an 1187 supermag).
Upland and waterfowl hunting are both fun excursions with a nice over/under; I myself have a 26" citori I like to carry from time to time, but my work horse is a winchester SX2.  I've put thousands of rounds through it from 90 degree dove hunts to -20 goose hunts.  Properly maintained and lightly lubricated and it runs and runs and runs.  It's nice to have the gas gun on high volume snow goose shoots.

And if you cripple birds on the 3rd shot, sell the expensive gun and buy some duck/goose calling lessons.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:

I'm a shotgun guy, but I'm not a hunter so take the following with a huge grain of salt . . .

For waterfowl hunting, I'd get a modern semi-auto (probably with a synthetic stock). My understanding is that waterfowl hunting often is done near and even in water. Guns get wet. Also, if I'm not mistaken, waterfowl hunters sit down a lot and spend time in blinds. A break-open (over/under) is going to be a pain in the ass in a duck blind. Semi-auto -- especially one you can get wet -- makes more sense to me.

If I were walking fields, hunting upland game I would probably grab a side-by-side or perhaps an Ithaca 37 pump from my safe. Again, just seems like the right tool for the job. I know a lot of folks hunt with semi-autos but I don't like the idea of tossing spent hulls all over God's green Earth. Yeah, the Ithaca ejects shells, too, but it's easier to control empties with a pump. The double gun just seems more civilized all around. I have one over/under that's fairly light that I could see taking on a hunting trip, but the side-by-side seems like a better choice. Again, I'm not a hunter, just a shotgun nut.

I love over/unders for the clays games. Shooting skeet, sporting clays, 5-stand a over/under is just perfect. It's easy to move from station to station with the action open and showing safe. You're only shooting two shots at a time and you don't load until you're in the shooting station. The over/under just fits these sports really well and also fits in with the vibe of the gun club.

The Browning Citori is a pretty heavy gun. You sure you want to haul that around the pheasant fields?
View Quote
I agreee with all this.  I love my Citori but it's heavy.  In the field, my benelli semi-auto gets the nod usually.  Or my Nova pump (cheap as hell but I shoot it pretty well).
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 12:56:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Great comments all! Poll added.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Voted semi,
Actually most of my waterfowling is with mossy pumps, or an old 3" 1100.
I have tried SxS, but in a layout blind or kayak the reload was a pain.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 11:58:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 12:16:46 AM EDT
[#19]
A400 action (gateway drug to the 1301T or vice versa for other applications)

or Benelli M2 series.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 1:06:32 AM EDT
[#20]
I had an Remington O/U and a Benelli Monte 12ga. The Monte is light and carries easily when hunting and looks pretty good wearing the wood. It’s only deficiency is really that it’s a tad too light to comfortably put a couple hundred rounds shooting clays or whatever.

The extra shot(s) in the field are nice. Don’t let Boomers make you think taking more than 2 shots in the field is no good or something. Lol. Anyways, I ended up using my auto more and more for everything, sold the O/U and got another auto.  Another Benelli (an M2). It’s also been great.

Personally, unless you want a gun for shooting clays or trap/skeet or an heirloom to hand down... get an auto. More versatile. Barrels easily swap. It’s just more gun for your money.

I recommend any auto from Benelli or Beretta and it really comes down to do you want Gas or Inertia.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 11:12:27 PM EDT
[#21]

If you use factory loads exclusively, whichever bust your cap.

If you plan to reload.......  go O/U
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 2:04:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Gnu235:

If you use factory loads exclusively, whichever bust your cap.

If you plan to reload.......  go O/U
View Quote

This is a new one.

Why would there be any advantage on reloading for an O/U?
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 2:10:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Beretta A300 Outlander
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 3:04:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#24]
Nevermind, necro thread.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:17:40 AM EDT
[#25]
If you are shooting well with your 870, I'd highly suggest a 11-87 semi-auto.

Gas gun is soft shooting, mine has been 100% reliable with everything from super light skeet loads up to 3" Magnum Turkey Loads.

It has the same feel as your 870 so if you liked your 870, the 11-87 would be an excellent 2nd gun as the Manual of Arms is similar - location of safety is identical.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I really enjoy shooting my Citori on the skeet field, and have carried an O/U for pheasant hunting before.  But for ducks and geese I'll take my A400 or Super Vinci every time.  That 3rd shot is helpful sometimes.

These 3 were in a flock of ducks that came into our field spread.  3 shots, 3 nice wood ducks.

And when the snows start flying in the spring, being able to add an extension is a plus.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Would you rather clean 1 barrel or 2 barrels after each hunt?
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ARLarry:
Would you rather clean 1 barrel or 2 barrels after each hunt?
View Quote

The whole 20 seconds it takes to run a bore snake down another barrel isn't going to make or break a guys night.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Come on now.. this is ar15 ... buy one of each..
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#31]
I've been doing a fair amount of duck and pheasant hunting lately, and I'm thinking of finally upgrading from my Remington 870. I certainly don't hate it and I am quite the expert with it, but if I do upgrade, not sure which way to go? Any opinions out there ? Get both? LOL

I love the classic lines and feel of a quality Over/Under like the Browning Citori. But maybe I'd be better off with a Beretta A350 or A400?
View Quote

I've done most of my bird hunting with a side by side 20 gauge.  I like a good double barrel, but if I was going to get back into bird hunting I'd probably go pump or semi auto at this point.

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:02:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Beretta A400 is usually the correct answer for pretty much every "what shotgun should I buy" thread
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 1:29:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Great insight everyone.

I think the two no brainers are the Bonelli SBE3 and the Beretta A400, both in the $1700-$1800 range.

I’ll probably buy a O/U and some point because they are so damn classy and fun.

But today I found a like new Beretta A350 for $650 with 200 3 1/2 inch shells. BAM!

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By RangemasterP226:
Great insight everyone. 

I think the two no brainers are the Bonelli SBE3 and the Beretta A400, both in the $1700-$1800 range. 

I’ll probably buy a O/U and some point because they are so damn classy and fun. 

But today I found a like new Beretta A350 for $650 with 200 3 1/2 inch shells. BAM!

View Quote

That’s a great price on the 350, especially with the shells.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 2:09:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By IIRC:

Lots of guys dont pick up there empties.  Less bending over if you shoot O/U.
View Quote

That's some dedication to reloading if that's the case.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 10:21:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: outdoorgb] [#37]
I went shopping for an OU in September. Sexy? yes and I will buy one. Found I needed to start around $1100 to get some quality (no expert, could be wrong).

Came home with a Beretta A300 Outlander semi... Very pleased and already busted her in...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 12:15:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ORARGB:
I went shopping for an OU in September. Sexy? yes and I will buy one. Found I needed to start around $1100 to get some quality (no expert, could be wrong).

Came home with a Beretta A300 Outlander semi... Very pleased and already buster her in...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74443/Pheasant_1_jpg-1610569.JPG
View Quote

Nice!

Regarding my earlier post, I ended up not buying that Beretta A350, it was in worse condition than I thought.  But last week I picked up an A400, and I love it!

Link Posted: 9/29/2020 12:52:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M-60] [#39]

Nice!

Regarding my earlier post, I ended up not buying that Beretta A350, it was in worse condition than I thought.  But last week I picked up an A400, and I love it!

View Quote
A400's are great guns.  Very smooth shooters.

Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#40]
I prefer a double gun of some type for upland hunting for three reasons

1) the ease and speed of opening/ unloading, like when getting in/out of a vehicle to hit new spots, crossing water, fences, walls etc.

2) balance/length;  a double gun of the same barrel length will be about 4" shorter than an auto/pump.

3) I like the way they look!
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#41]
I only hunt upland, mostly pheasant. Usually carry a Browning Superposed in 20ga. It carries well and I shoot it well. Those are my main criteria at this point.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#42]
If you've been shooting an 870, then look at an 11-87.

Same "family" & "feel" from the 870 you are used too, but gas operation is very easy on the shoulder and it self regulated gas system will shoot all the shells from 2 3/4" light skeet to 3" Mangum Turkey or Waterfowl loads.

Found one in a used gun store for a song and have been very happy with it.

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 11/16/2020 7:42:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: outdoorgb] [#43]
Still shopping for O/U... Maybe I need a Christmas Present.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#44]
I may have a Browning O/U Citori Lightning I may want to sell...  Just say'n
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top