Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2019 7:02:15 PM EDT
So I have been thinking about one is none though! I wanted to see what you all thought about the person who has many different pistols!

So I know if we all can share the same mags and ammo it would be great but I know some can handle larger calibers then others no matter what the FBI says about there test let's look and see how well the caliber they have now picked done in history!

Not wanting to get into all that right now the caliber debate! I'm not into the whole 9mm is best because of a 100+-year-old round that technology has caught up to the bullet! Yet this same technology does not work on the rest of the bullets!

Anyway not argue about calibers at all I'm about if you can hit your target with a 454 then use that or if it takes a 22lr that is what matters most!

Yet I have been thinking about should I slim down my brand of pistols? Should I have all my pistols the same? Well, same brand? Like to hear what you all have to say!

Also, no caliber talk please to each there own!
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I carried a 1911 for 25 years before marrying a widow with 3 boys with no training and then started prepping for my staff that had no skills...
I found I didn't have the patients to train everyone and my wife didn't enjoy the 45 but loved my BHP in 9.
So I converted to the 9mm Glock so my prepping got easy and cheap. Gave them to the staff for bonus and the kids for presents.
Now everyone can use the same mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 7:35:30 PM EDT
[#2]
9mm Glocks FTW

Link Posted: 3/11/2019 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I got into 40 and now trade ins are cheap. I also got into 10 and so reloading is somewhat interchangeable. I’m gonna make a p80 that’s interchangeable with my g22 so I guess there is that. I’m not really that big on everything being interchangeable.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#4]
If you plan to arm a rifle squad, standardize. Since the majority of us are not going to do that, then buy what makes you happy. Just buy quality weapons and quality ammo and you'll be in good shape.

Then, practice a lot.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I think the way you do.  I buy used 9mm Glocks.  It’s not just the ammo and mags.  A lot of holsters, parts, and even sights interchange.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 9:42:19 PM EDT
[#6]
my take:  the whole "standardization" thing is vastly over rated....

Yes, interchangeable ammo, mags, holsters, etc makes sense if you are outfitting a personal platoon.  its a huge benefit...

Question:  how often have you needed to outfit a platoon????

I'll stick to my variety.  When its cold weather, and heat clothing is the norm, I'll carry my 1911 thanks.  Why a 45?  because they don't make a .46....   but that's not going to work when its tee shirt weather.  I've got just the ticket, a Glock 43 or, if its pocket carry, a 9mm Kimber Solo.  going to the beach?  Ruger LCP.  Spending an afternoon plinking?  Ruger .22....  Camping remote in the bear woods?  S&W 29 in .44 mag...

I do not need to outfit a platoon.  Now that I think about it, I've never needed to do so.  however, every day carry has different needs, and different guns fit the roles.  if I need to hand some out, different hand sizes, physical strength, etc mean different firearms will suit different family.  And quite frankly, you get what I give ya.  Stardardization is a detriment.....  my wife can ONLY handle a Glock42 or S&W ez380.  do I outfit everyone with the peashooter?  or give her a gun she cannot run?

count my in the "keep different guns" category...
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#7]
The remarks about how standardization is great if you need to equip a platoon but silly if its just you and the family....seem a bit shortsighted.

Just the logistics part of the equation would seem to support a 'standardization' of gun and ammo. It makes far more sense to have one or two calibers of pistol ammo to stock up on rather than five or six. As the early posters very aptly demonstrated, the Glocks (for example) have a half dozen models and sizes that all take the same magazine. Thats one magazine to stockpile to take care of the whole lot. From a logistics standpoint (and an economic one) that makes tremendous sense.

I love havinga  variety of guns as much as the next guy. But my footlocker of 'End Of The World' guns is rather heavily populated by redundant copies of the same guns. All the same pistol, all the same carbine, all the same shotgun. Even if the only platoon I have to out fit is just little ol' me, I'd rather have five identical pistols than five unique pistols.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So I have been thinking about one is none though! I wanted to see what you all thought about the person who has many different pistols!

So I know if we all can share the same mags and ammo it would be great but I know some can handle larger calibers then others no matter what the FBI says about there test let's look and see how well the caliber they have now picked done in history!

Not wanting to get into all that right now the caliber debate! I'm not into the whole 9mm is best because of a 100+-year-old round that technology has caught up to the bullet! Yet this same technology does not work on the rest of the bullets!

Anyway not argue about calibers at all I'm about if you can hit your target with a 454 then use that or if it takes a 22lr that is what matters most!

Yet I have been thinking about should I slim down my brand of pistols? Should I have all my pistols the same? Well, same brand? Like to hear what you all have to say!

Also, no caliber talk please to each there own!
View Quote
didnt you already do this

did this before
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The remarks about how standardization is great if you need to equip a platoon but silly if its just you and the family....seem a bit shortsighted.

Just the logistics part of the equation would seem to support a 'standardization' of gun and ammo. It makes far more sense to have one or two calibers of pistol ammo to stock up on rather than five or six. As the early posters very aptly demonstrated, the Glocks (for example) have a half dozen models and sizes that all take the same magazine. Thats one magazine to stockpile to take care of the whole lot. From a logistics standpoint (and an economic one) that makes tremendous sense.

I love havinga  variety of guns as much as the next guy. But my footlocker of 'End Of The World' guns is rather heavily populated by redundant copies of the same guns. All the same pistol, all the same carbine, all the same shotgun. Even if the only platoon I have to out fit is just little ol' me, I'd rather have five identical pistols than five unique pistols.
View Quote
During the last ammo shortage, less common and hunting calibers were still available but .223, 9mm, and .22LR were often hard to find.

If you have stocked ammo it's not a big deal but most people don't have tons of stored ammo.

If you needed a box or two of ammo for home defense, shotgun ammo, .38, .357, 30/30, and other common hunting calibers were still available.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:38:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I like 1911s and glock but noticed every time i switched between the two it would take me time to adjust and the less i shot the 1911 ther better i was with my glocks.

Loved both but figure the blocks are better reliability and weight and my wife likes glock way better soni just transitioned to all 9mm glock. Cheap training ammo, mag compatability.

Also have a g20 10mm for woods.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 4:07:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I have 1911, SIG 226 in 40, 9mm and 357 sig barrels, Springfield XD 45 compact and last Sig 320 in 45 acp full size. A few 22LR pistols also.

Rifles I have 5 - AR-15 that I finally was able to save up the money to buy lower parts kits for 3 of them. Also two Ruger 10/22 one complete the other just the receiver of a Springfield 1903 that I restored last my STG-58 and one shotgun Mossberg 590A1 bought back in 1997.

With how cheap Glocks are I might look at them again. I'm not a Glock fan feel like a block in my hand and can shoot the XD a lot better.

Wife shot my duty Glock 22 and she hated it only took one shot! She did have an XDM in 9mm she went and bought it without talking to me and the dealer just took advantage of her! Who sells a 5'2 110 lbs woman a full-size pistol?!

I'm just trying to decide if it's better with pistols to have all the same make? Be it Glock or SIG is it better for everyone in the party to have the same style weapon?
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have 1911, SIG 226 in 40, 9mm and 357 sig barrels, Springfield XD 45 compact and last Sig 320 in 45 acp full size. A few 22LR pistols also.

Rifles I have 5 - AR-15 that I finally was able to save up the money to buy lower parts kits for 3 of them. Also two Ruger 10/22 one complete the other just the receiver of a Springfield 1903 that I restored last my STG-58 and one shotgun Mossberg 590A1 bought back in 1997.

With how cheap Glocks are I might look at them again. I'm not a Glock fan feel like a block in my hand and can shoot the XD a lot better.

Wife shot my duty Glock 22 and she hated it only took one shot! She did have an XDM in 9mm she went and bought it without talking to me and the dealer just took advantage of her! Who sells a 5'2 110 lbs woman a full-size pistol?!

I'm just trying to decide if it's better with pistols to have all the same make? Be it Glock or SIG is it better for everyone in the party to have the same style weapon?
View Quote
What do YOU want to do?
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I standardized calibers

have .45 1911's, 9mm's (sig, glock, and m&p's), .38/.357, and .380's

they are rotated in my daily concealed carry depending on clothing / time of year (or location).
plenty of mags for each and spare parts.

I personally don't like glocks but a have some (I like thumb safeties on autos). m&ps and glocks are all over.

also I have seen the M&P 2.0 compact 9mm with thumb safety for $350!!!! it's glock 19 sized and pretty nice for the price

My old faithful shtf pistol is getting dated (HK USP with UTL. I"m on the 3rd UTL and it just broke and insight does not repair anymore. Ebay has them for $300-400 for an old crappy weapon light. Problem is all my holsters fit with light.
I do have TLR lights for the new guns in various sizes too even TLR-6's for the concealed carry ones

I got some taurus G2C's ($200 and reliable) for truck guns (they use canik and sig 9mm mags)
you can cheaply add night sights, metal replacement parts and still be less than a shield and they hold 12+1
it's the perfect size and they are cheap and reliable. (taurus got a new ceo and quality control)
I added a glock railed TLR-6 to mine and have another just with night sights for regular ccw

Attachment Attached File

my youtube review of the taurus...don't make fun of me
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:23:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Everyone has to decide this for themselves.  Having a half dozen glocks offers some option.  They might all be the same caliber or not.  glocks have several frame sizes now, I mostly consider the small frame like 9mm, 40, and 357 sig frame and the big frame 45acp or 10mm frames.

So adjust accordingly.

Anyway, 40s&w glocks are the cheapest to find as police trade ins now.  That super duper hst ammo, got some for 300 bucks a case of 1k a year or two ago.  Not seen that price since.  Used mags for the glock 22, 11 bucks to the door in multiples of 5 and sometimes you can beat that.  Used police trade ins, always work fine for me.

Buy a 9mm conversion barrel and play on brownells with a coupon for some glock 17 mags or the 33rd 9mm mags.  Or buy some 9mm glocks.

Look at an actual parts list and stock parts and springs and stuff.

So with all that done, yes being able to share mags and ammo can be awfully nice.  But during ammo shortages some folks want to be able to run whatever they find to buy in their gun, so ammo conversion barrels can be nice.

There are 22lr uppers for the glocks as well.

Being able to share holsters and mag holders is also nice.

If you use your ccw for self defense many folks say to expect it to be taken into evidence.  So having a spare in the safe would be awfully nice.  If something breaks and I need to send it out to a gunsmith vs. me swapping parts then a spare is nice.  If the wife uses a similar or identical version, then you want more than one spare.

At one point I sold a dozen or so glocks and their mags and accessories and bought a couple nice 1911s to use for ccw.  Took a class as well.  Carried one at a time, but I do believe in 2 is 1.  Now I have glocks again cause police trade ins are cheap, holsters are everywhere.  I have lights on some of em and holsters for glocks with a light are easy to find as well.

Making someone use something they dislike is not the answer.  At the same time, having a 2k dollar 1911 for ccw and nothing else would not be a great choice when you could have a couple glocks and a mess of mags and ammo for that price and know you have a backup in case you have an issue.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:07:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:12:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I have found that finding time to train is next to impossible this decade
But we carry and use our Glocks now (as parked our brownie high powers for utility) probably once a week.
The best training we get are those pesky rattlesnakes that tend to always magically appear next to our grandchildren our dogs are truck tires in the chicken coop etc.
I keep snake loads in the chamber which causes all kinds of different malfunctions from simply not chambering the next round to stove pipes. so my wife has gotten really good at clearing those so that she has a follow-up shot on the demons.
I keep thinking I need to get some snap caps just to sneak into the magazines for range time just to force everyone to keep clearing their malfunctions.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:22:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#19]
to add to a point mentioned by TJ .... if you plan on shooting a lot, an alternative to a new blaster would be to get into metallic cartridge reloading... I'm primarily a game player and shoot reduced loads to gain a competitive advantage... a twist of the powder measure, and I have hotter loads...a used 550, and a couple of 5gal buckets of brass,  occasional package from Precision Delta and Bayou and you and your family can shoot enough to gain and maintain proficiency...

I load my G43 practice ammo with a JHP but coated lead for USPSA in the AR9 PCC
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I concur on the concept you should own your ammo now.  But one big housefire can change that if you keep it all in one spot.

And if traveling and for some reason you need ammo, then what is common in one area may not be very common in another area.

Or you could be someplace that is a pain to buy ammo now and good luck with that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 11:36:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I standardized calibers and I'm slowly standardizing pistols.
I have a little bit of everything in 9mm including a boet load of hi-points. Don't laugh. They are great SHTF hand outs, especially if you have hordes of non-gun family that all seem to think you are their savor when SHTF.
I'm moving towards standardizing on Glock 9mm's in G26 and G19's - all Gen3. I buy a frame or 2 a month and then parts to build them out. It's a painfully slow process, but I'm getting there. I've got 6 in semi-complete status now. For holsters, other than my personal carry holsters, I get the cheapie Glock brand open bottom holsters. Works fine for either G26 or G19. Magazines - I have a good stock of OEM 26, 19, 17 and 18 mags, but also more Magpul and ETS mags than I can remember.
Other than tha, I have a few LCP's for EDC (I work in an NPE and wife is in Real Estate, so we need something that carries very concealed). I don't stock a huge amount of ammunition for the 380's - after we ensured they function properly with it, I stocked up on 3 boxes HST for each LCP and I have 2 of the remington 250rd bulk pack FMJ's for a mag or 2 on range day. Who knows how much 9mm I have...I have much more 9mm than .223/ 5.56, 12ga, 22lr or 410.
I figure in SHTF, a bullet hole is a bullet hole and will more than likely be fatal if left untreated. Lot's of dead people because of 9mm. I'll use my AR15, but the rest of the crew will be getting glocks and AR9's (another SLOW process). It will be a huge upgrade from the current crop of 995's I have for that purpose. With money as tight as it is, they better learn to use irons quick
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#22]
as commented, I'm a game player,haven't been shot at since 1972,  but one of the original 5000 carry permits in the state of Florida...I shot 1911s in .45 for 25 years of USPSA, but was tired of parts breaking (these were pistols in the 60,000 round life span)and switched to the Glock format in 2005.... it did not make sense to have multiple formats for carry and competition, so when I retired and started carrying full time (I was a classroom teacher and prohibited from carrying at work) my perception of threat was very small and carried inside the cargo pocket in nylon shorts....first with a LCP to which I added 1911 sights, and then a G42 when they came out... I perceived an increase in the craziness prior to the 2016 election, and switched to the G43 IWB for a little quicker response time... my competition battery is a G17 and G34 with similar sights... a G19 is in the console... super 1050 set up to feed the AR9 PCC. but a twist of the powder measure makes pretty decent JHPs
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I see little benefit in standardizing on one brand. One model, yes, because then you can share spare parts, mags, etc.

I'm not running an armory to outfit a group, so I buy all kinds of different things. This is a hobby, not a job for me. Buy what makes you happy. If you're doing this for more professional reasons, then one standard pistol and PCCs would be a great choice.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#24]
My wife and I both carry.

We both have different carry guns.

But, when I know we will always be together, like on vacation, then we carry the same exact pistol.  If something goes haywire, we have that interchangeability.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 9:47:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Glock 9
The end.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 1:48:49 AM EDT
[#26]
I standardized calibers and platforms (Glock and AR) years ago and never looked back.  I have two pistol calibers (9mm and .45 ACP), two rifle  (5.56 and .308), and use .22 for both rifle and pistols.  I have 12 gauge shotguns.  I would like to have .300 BO one day.

I am a very boring man.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top