Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2018 8:59:10 PM EDT
How are you guys securing your traps in rocky ground or lots of roots?
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 11:36:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Trapping bobcats in the rocks I use drags. I use pogos for anchoring everywhere else.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:59:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I either use rebar stakes or pogos. Most of my bridgers have super stakes attached but they are just to big of a pain to remove
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you use chains or cables with the super stakes?  My go to trapper uses chains and has a pull bar to remove them.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 1:48:32 PM EDT
[#4]
We have extremely rocky ground here in AR.  Rebar works pretty well.  At least they can be re-used.  I usually use cable with the smaller traps and sometimes a chain with a drag hook.  Where possible chain or cable can be attached to another tree or something solid.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 8:28:38 AM EDT
[#5]
If I can’t get rebar in the ground I use a cable, however drags are not a bad option.
I really hate tracking drag marks in some areas though. Amazing how hard they can be to find sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 8:42:14 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are dealing with roots how about excavating around a thick root and cabling off to that and then replace the sod.  I would do it in advance  of the season but don’t be a mowing hazard.  You lose friends that way if your cable gets wrapped up.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends what your trapping and terrain. I use primarily Berkshire disposal stakes. I have mostly clay, soft dirt/sand in low grounds, and shale rock. 95% of places with a little elbow grease I can get a 15" cable stake in the ground. I hit a big rock moving my set a few feet takes care of that. In really tough ground I'll sometimes pound my stake driver in first to make a pilot hole. Drags can be a great tool to use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top