Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Put one on a drone for 10 miles of visibility and the noise floor will increase radically. 900 is a bad noise situation in a lot of places.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a ham guy, but if you want communications that are secure go Gotenna mesh it.

These actually work pretty well. Keep in mind they are 900Mhz units at low power with little tiny embedded antennas so they don't reach out all that far. Still, we did some tests and got a dramatic improvement using a unit set up as a relay up on a 27ft mast. In simplex mode, they reached 3184 ft in an urban area. With the mast relay, they got 4230 ft. We got more than that out at the beach with clear LOS between units. Next test will be to put a relay on a drone and see how far apart two units can exchange messages. If that works out well, I'll probably disassemble one and put a couple of decent antennas on the relay unit. My goal is to get secure text message transfer maybe out to 10 miles for folks like wildland firefighters and disaster response folks.

Put one on a drone for 10 miles of visibility and the noise floor will increase radically. 900 is a bad noise situation in a lot of places.

We use 900Mhz links on most all of our drones. We've also sent them out several miles with no ill effects. I had one setup that was good for almost 30 miles because it had an amplifier on it and a nice parabolic directional antenna. Having to get permission to use it at every location kinda took the fun out of using it, though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:28:11 AM EDT
[#2]
The professional here is just drinking BRC and reading...

I'm reminded that I can grab a 70 cm HT, key up a repeater 15 miles from my house outside of Dallas and talk to some one in El Paso without ever hitting the internet (which as the crow flies is just about as far as El Paso to Los Angeles). If the connections were provisioned, I'd even be able to get as far as California via a system interconnect. All without using the internet thanks to several repeater networks built 40 years ago and still maintained to this day.

HF can be a great tool...it can also be an extremely unpredictable and unreliable one.

One of the big differences between commercial and amateur networks is the amount of redundancy and hardening that goes into those commercial systems. Professionally, I've never connected a DMR or P25 repeater to the internet but have still worked on many IP linked systems as pretty much all active P25 systems in the US utilize IP for the transport but remain 100% independent in operation from the internet (with multiple forms of redundancy) and Motorola still specs point to point T1 circuits in their multi-site DMR systems.

I am also reminded of the radio tech who programs everyone else's radios. Yes it is a pain but it works extremely well. Case in point, that's exactly what radio techs in Texas did in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey. Departments from all over the country sent volunteers and they brought their duty radios. Essentially, if it was a 7/800 MHz P25 radio it got programmed and put on the TxWARN system. In California, Oregon, Washington, and Colorado similar things are going on for wild-land fires. One guy programs a radio, the rest clone off of it using simple cloning cables. This is also an option for Baofeng radios...program a few up with a computer and then hand out a few cloning cables and your workforce has dramatically increased.

Just some thoughts though they aren't really related to the OP per-say.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you referring to Armadillo Net, and some others?  I've read about them and know about them intellectually.

But how feasible is such a thing during a SHTF situation?  I assume this sort of thing can run on solar almost indefinitely.  But, i also assume there's still guys who go around and do routing (<-- this world should've been 'routine' but i'm leaving it because reasons) maintenance as well.

I realize it's pretty variable, but how many towers are we talking about for a thousand mile link?
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

As for the Radio Depot Model, for a small group of maybe 10 folks, that works OK. At the rally in January, I and a couple other folks ended up spending a couple of hours programming 200-300 Baofengs. That model doesn't scale very well in my estimation and rapidly becomes a PITA. A modified version of the BYOD model above would be to have the radio and its software easy enough to use such that anybody could program their own radio if they were given a file. That seemed to work OK for the rally where we had people with radios they themselves had programmed to the Arfcom Information Network. I know that when I did the first comms check, there were at least 2000+ people raising their hands.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

As for the Radio Depot Model, for a small group of maybe 10 folks, that works OK. At the rally in January, I and a couple other folks ended up spending a couple of hours programming 200-300 Baofengs. That model doesn't scale very well in my estimation and rapidly becomes a PITA. A modified version of the BYOD model above would be to have the radio and its software easy enough to use such that anybody could program their own radio if they were given a file. That seemed to work OK for the rally where we had people with radios they themselves had programmed to the Arfcom Information Network. I know that when I did the first comms check, there were at least 2000+ people raising their hands.
There's no single channel net that's going to work for 200 radios, much less 2000, so the applicability of either model is pretty much moot. I can't even imagine the shit show that many radios on a single channel, controlled by people with little radio training or discipline, would be

On the long distance problem, if satcom still is working, that's a decent method but is a little tricky if a whole bunch of other folks are also using satcom. Saw this first hand in Puerto Rico after Maria.
No doubt this was true for voice and data channels, but still it's a lot easier for someone to simply make 10 tries to finally get a channel and get through then it would be to haul, setup, train, maintain and operate an HF station.

I think the Garmin inReach and SPOT devices are both cheaper to buy and cheaper monthly fees.
Much cheaper!

The drawback is they only do text which might be enough to at least know you're still OK.
Not seeing that as a drawback. Many people live their entire lives via short text message services (SMS). And I suspect that the Iridium and Globalstar satellite SMS services are far less subject to channel availability issues compared to the voice and data services.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are you referring to Armadillo Net, and some others?  I've read about them and know about them intellectually.

But how feasible is such a thing during a SHTF situation?  I assume this sort of thing can run on solar almost indefinitely.  But, i also assume there's still guys who go around and do routing (<-- this world should've been 'routine' but i'm leaving it because reasons) maintenance as well.

I realize it's pretty variable, but how many towers are we talking about for a thousand mile link?
View Quote

Armadillo Intertie is one.

As far as the feasibility, Armadillo as an example is state sanctioned and both DPS and TxDOT provide some support by allowing access to some state owned towers and backup power systems. Right now, about 14 links will take you from Cedar Hill down I-35 and across 95 to Ft Davis. El Paso is linked directly to Dallas via a leased circuit at this current moment. The basic idea being that there is an alternate path someway and if it all fails you may isolate a region from the rest of the system but that region will continue to work.

Currently, there is only one person who does the routing maintenance (which Armadillo is actively trying to change as some of the younger members with repeater experience have been voluntold) but technology has also changed and that in itself can cause some issues especially in differences of opinion (analog linking versus IP linking, etc).
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There's no single channel net that's going to work for 200 radios, much less 2000, so the applicability of either model is pretty much moot. I can't even imagine the shit show that many radios on a single channel, controlled by people with little radio training or discipline, would be

No doubt this was true for voice and data channels, but still it's a lot easier for someone to simply make 10 tries to finally get a channel and get through then it would be to haul, setup, train, maintain and operate an HF station.

Much cheaper!

Not seeing that as a drawback. Many people live their entire lives via short text message services (SMS). And I suspect that the Iridium and Globalstar satellite SMS services are far less subject to channel availability issues compared to the voice and data services.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the long distance problem, if satcom still is working, that's a decent method but is a little tricky if a whole bunch of other folks are also using satcom. Saw this first hand in Puerto Rico after Maria.

I think the Garmin inReach and SPOT devices are both cheaper to buy and cheaper monthly fees.
Much cheaper!

The drawback is they only do text which might be enough to at least know you're still OK.

Luckily for the rally, we had the Arfcom Info net in the CHIRP file as transmit disabled. You could go in and change that yourself obviously but most people just left it. Which is a good thing because like you, I doubt 2000 people would have enough discipline to share the channel. Professionals with 200 radios on the channel? Sure. But, again, they have discipline and training on how not to clutter up the channel.

My son also has a satfone that hasn't been activated. I may have him send that back to me and I'll send him an inReach. He's in that age group you mention that shies away from actually talking to someone on the phone but texts frequently.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Last I heard we were forbidden to use encryption in the Amateur service.

What has changed?
View Quote

Found out earlier today while digging around that it is forbidden indeed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#8]
DT.

Link Posted: 9/17/2020 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#9]
You'd have to work pretty hard to convince me that text is NOT superior to voice in everything except exigency.  And even then should be followed up with text.

Link Posted: 9/17/2020 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The problem with these threads in this here arfham forum is that we all talk around the obvious, relatively easy, but illegal solutions to the short range, secure comm's requirement. Let's break this down and summarize...

The legal answer is, as stated above, an encrypted business band radio on a business band frequency. "They" will know you are active, but not know what your are saying. You get good power output on frequencies that have good performance in various environments. Ranges will be in the single digit miles easily. BUT...they are expensive, require licensing, and getting said radios programmed involves a) expensive software, b) illegal software or c) paying someone to do it for you. This places a difficult logistics burden on the average prepper type.

The second best legal answer is a Motorola DTR series radio (the older ones go for less than $100 on fleabay). These are tough to detect using scanners (but not undetectable), and while not encrypted there is currently no hobbyist or commercial solution for intercepting their communications. But at 1W and at 900MHz their performance is pretty much limited to 1 mile. And someone with a similar radio could brute force their way onto your channel settings, so change them often.

The unsaid almost-always-illegal option is to get a TYT MD-380 with the MotoTRBO waveform and set up a MotoTRBO channel with advanced encryption. The radio is type accepted for FCC Part 90 use, i.e. you could use it in the same manner as the "legal answer" above with the right licensing. However you know most people who go this route are going to not bother with licensing and simply program it to use one or more Part 90 or Part 95 (FRS, GMRS, MURS) frequencies illegally. But it's simple, cheap, with free software available.

If you go the DTR (legal) or TYT (illegal) route, you are still faced with the often daunting logistics associated with ensuring all radios are programmed correctly. Since most people are complete radio-dolts (hams excepted, of course--well, most hams ), you have to organize this so that the people who have radios need only as much training as one needs for operating a toaster. On/off, channel selection, volume knob, and push-to-talk. There are really only two ways to do this that work reliably:

a) The Radio Depot Model: one person is the radio guru and is the smart person responsible for programming all radios, maintaining all radios, and disbursing all radios. That way they are all programmed the same and interoperable.

b) The BYOD (bring your own device) Model: one person is the radio guru as above, but in this case people who want to play have to bring the guru an appropriate radio and the guru programs it to be the same as everyone else's and hands it back.

This is also the only way to ensure control over secure information such as channel assignments, encryption keys, etc. Because once you start emailing that shit, or posting it to your "private" FB site, or whatever, it's sure to get out.

If money is no object you can get expensive radios (including the newer DTR stuff from Motorola) that allows over-the-air (OTA) programming and OTA disablement of individual radios in order to ease the problem of key management and compromise. But, again, that is beyond the ken and budget of the average prepper, and even the average ham.

BREAK

As for the "talk 1000 miles" problem there are two scenarios and thus two different solutions:

Scenario 1--SHTF, internet and commo only down inside the affected area. The solution for this is commercial satphone or sat communicator. Most people who have figured this out are buying either the Garmin inReach or the SPOT devices. Easy day, text with your friends, colleagues, business associates, family or whoever. They get the messages in their email inboxes or on their cellphones, you get it on your inReach or SPOT. No fuss, no muss, no training, they are basically text-only satellite cellphones. Or move up to a real handheld satphone.

Scenario 2--TEOTWAWKI, nothing left, no sat's, no GPS, just giant, mutant spiders. The solution for this is HF radio. It's complex stuff. You won't figure it out unless you become a ham and practice the art and science. In this case you can't be a Kung Fu master without going to the dojo. The problem is, of course, that there are damn few who go to that dojo and get the belt, so you won't have many people to talk to unless the people you want to talk to go to the dojo with you.

View Quote

Thank you for that post.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The privacy tones on those radios don't keep people from hearing you -- they keep your radio from breaking squelch unless the other station has the same privacy tone set that you do. It's the opposite of privacy, more like wearing blinders vs an invisibility cloak if you will. If you turn the tones off you hear every signal.

If you use a DMR radio on simplex you can make private calls to another radio, not exactly in the spirit of amateur radio or exactly legal but it's really easy. Even a DMR group call on a simplex channel would be missed by nearly any non-governmental agency. Some one would have to be scanning the relatively large band with a radio capable of decoding the mode you are using. I have never personally scanned the 70cm band looking for simplex DMR signals and I'm a pretty active ham. NXDN and P25 are picked up by common scanners.
View Quote

the 220MHZ band is dead virtually everywhere and most scanners don't go there. if you want decent comms that are private, running common digital and keeping your messages short will stop most people from finding your comms in the first place and having time to fire up a computer and start decoding your messages. PSK31 would be a good mode for this-low power and directional antennas would make you just about invisible to everyone but who you want to talk to.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 9:36:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hey Photo, doing well.

Found a license-free digital frequency-hopping radio that sounds fairly difficult to intercept: Motorola DTR600. But pricey.
View Quote

Another license free option is a Gotenna. There are two models, a discontinued version that was close to the 2m ham band, and a newer 900mhz band. These pair with your smart phone and allow texts and location sharing on a map and are 128 bit encrypted. The 900mhz models will act as repeaters if you get them high enough and allow you to communicate farther than max range if there is another unit and your recipient that your message can "hop" thru-it will do up to 6 of these "Hops"

You can talk to everyone around, talk discretely with your group, or just one person discretely in your discrete group. I have the first version and they seem to work really well. Battery life is good and they are USB rechargeable.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Let me throw this out here. What is the most cost effective and mobile method of communicating with someone 1,000 miles away if internet and cell comms have gotten buggered? Doesn't have to be voice if there's a tech I'm not familiar with..
View Quote

IF you don't want to depend on a telephone system, a satellite phone would be the most effective way. They are about $1k and the phone time is expensive but you can get regular phone capability and data connection anywhere in the world.

The only other option is to get your HAM license, upgrade to General, then get an HF radio that can connect to a computer or tablet. Use this setup to send digital messages (texts, effectively) back and forth. You will need to use different bands on different days depending on band conditions and time of night, but digital HF is pretty damned good. I talked with a guy in Cuba with 15 watts a few years back, and didn't need that much power-obviously, that was a best case scenario, but more power and antenna go a long way here.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Iridium based satellite messaging.

If we are imagining a scenario where the satellites have gone quiet, HF CW, as posted above.  With the caveat if you’ve reached that point I don’t think legality matters much.
View Quote

CW is inferior to digital modes any more, IMO. Yes, there are some shit-hot fist-pounders out there that can do amazing things with morse code on weak signal conditions, but the error correction built in to the decoders in digital software means being able to decode messages that are below the noise floor. My KX3 is so good that if I can see it on a panadaptor, it will pretty much decode it guaranteed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The Alinco DJ-G29T 220/900 radio was tailor made for this application.

At this point I think anyone serious about intercepting comms would go the SDR route. As noted, scanners have too many holes in coverage.

Realistically, though, if you're running handhelds you're already talking about coverage of just a few square miles, and the odds someone is running any kind of useful interception operation in that small of an area outside of planned riots and the like is slim to none.
View Quote

Handhelds can be helped quite a lot with a better antenna-and just about ANYTHING is better than a rubber-ducky. Those folding tape type antennas are pretty effective on a handheld..
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Email from MTCRadio:

figure someone here may be interested...not an affiliate link-would love to have a few sets myself though!

https://www.mtcradio.com/search.php?search_query=Protalk&x=22&y=16
View Quote

We use those at work, pretty hardy radios.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Handhelds can be helped quite a lot with a better antenna-and just about ANYTHING is better than a rubber-ducky. Those folding tape type antennas are pretty effective on a handheld..
View Quote
The old PRC-6 had a folding tape antenna.

I got to carry one in basic for a day.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:59:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Photoman,

I think you're in the weeds on this.  Assuming grid up, and just about everyone involved has some sort of *even basic* smart phone in their pocket....

I had a similar requirement not too long ago, and the solution is private messenger apps and solid user protocol.  Pick your app, establish protocols for security, and be very, very scrupulous with who has access.   Change security measures every operational period, reissue confirmation codes, etc.  

Radio's are cool, but the security and legality isn't there for this type of use.  Even something simple like Life360 or more advanced ATAK will greatly expand your situational awareness.

Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:02:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Learn to speak Navajo.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:04:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for all the replies so much stuff to learn.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 2:29:02 AM EDT
[#21]
BTW, if you decide to get a ham license, the D-star digital mode in (Icom radios like ID-51) is legal on ham bands but an average Joe with a fancy scanner, won't be able to listen to your comms.
Also, very few people have radios for the 220 Mhz ham band. Just saying.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

CW is inferior to digital modes any more, IMO. Yes, there are some shit-hot fist-pounders out there that can do amazing things with morse code on weak signal conditions, but the error correction built in to the decoders in digital software means being able to decode messages that are below the noise floor. My KX3 is so good that if I can see it on a panadaptor, it will pretty much decode it guaranteed.
View Quote

I don't disagree.  But...  if we're talking true SHTF, it might be best to pick the mode that relies least on equipment.  CW is simplest and can be produced with minimal gear.  Unlike digital modes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't disagree.  But...  if we're talking true SHTF, it might be best to pick the mode that relies least on equipment.  CW is simplest and can be produced with minimal gear.  Unlike digital modes.
View Quote
Someday I want to be able to bang out cw with a key strapped to my knee while driving, that is quite hard with digital modes. It's also more burdensome to drag a laptop out for field ops. Sure there are lots of solutions, you could use a pi and a phone or tablet but that more stuff to take that uses batteries that need to be charged.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 10:28:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Someday I want to be able to bang out cw with a key strapped to my knee while driving, that is quite hard with digital modes. It's also more burdensome to drag a laptop out for field ops. Sure there are lots of solutions, you could use a pi and a phone or tablet but that more stuff to take that uses batteries that need to be charged.
View Quote

Vietnam era Special Forces soldiers used to have to all know CW at a five words per minute level. Not sure when they did away with that. Would love to learn some CW someday.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:36:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

BTW, if you decide to get a ham license, the D-star digital mode in (Icom radios like ID-51) is legal on ham bands but an average Joe with a fancy scanner, won't be able to listen to your comms.
Also, very few people have radios for the 220 Mhz ham band. Just saying.....
View Quote

The only 220 MHz D-Star radio I know of is the Kenwood TH-D74a, and that's pretty pricey.  I have one, and I love it, but probably won't get a 2nd one for the XYL.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm not sure it really meets the OP's needs simply because it absolutely requires everyone who wants to talk to have a license and really should have everyone listening be licensed.

Couldn't you setup a DMR talk group then use hot spots? That way the local repeaters aren't in use and you can use very low power on the radios to limit the broadcast range. It's not "secure" since if someone is in range and listening they could theoretically listen in, but you've eliminated a lot of potential listeners.

Of course, the catch is that the internet must be up and you can't stray too far from your hot spot. Since you can interface them with a cell phone and battery pack a group could just stick one in a backpack if there wasn't a car handy. You could even use stubby antennas to further compromise your range since you only need enough reach to get to and from the hot spot. Heck, put different hot spots on different frequencies to even further limit the potential access for outsiders.

I'm not a hot spot or DMR user so please, tear this idea apart and show me the holes. It's just something that I've had in the back of my head as an idea for a few months. I've held off buying both a DMR and hot spot because I feel like both are still changing rapidly and coming down in price, but the time may be coming.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm not sure it really meets the OP's needs simply because it absolutely requires everyone who wants to talk to have a license and really should have everyone listening be licensed.

Couldn't you setup a DMR talk group then use hot spots? That way the local repeaters aren't in use and you can use very low power on the radios to limit the broadcast range. It's not "secure" since if someone is in range and listening they could theoretically listen in, but you've eliminated a lot of potential listeners.

Of course, the catch is that the internet must be up and you can't stray too far from your hot spot. Since you can interface them with a cell phone and battery pack a group could just stick one in a backpack if there wasn't a car handy. You could even use stubby antennas to further compromise your range since you only need enough reach to get to and from the hot spot. Heck, put different hot spots on different frequencies to even further limit the potential access for outsiders.

I'm not a hot spot or DMR user so please, tear this idea apart and show me the holes. It's just something that I've had in the back of my head as an idea for a few months. I've held off buying both a DMR and hot spot because I feel like both are still changing rapidly and coming down in price, but the time may be coming.
View Quote

For one thing, if you use the amateur DMR networks like Brandmiester, all of your voice traffic in decoded form would be streaming online at the Hoseline or similar for anyone to tune into.  You could go through all the work in setting up a totally private server to handle the web side of things and lock it down, but at that point you're still requiring the internet/cell phone backbone to make it all work.

If that's the case, why not just eliminate the extra hardware and just use your phones to communicate.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 10:58:16 AM EDT
[#28]
As mentioned a few times already, encryption is illegal, but obscure digital modes are not encryption. I think the idea of DSTAR or NXDN on HF is an interesting one. Most digital scanners will do DMR, NXDN, Provoice, and a few others. But most of the mainstream scanners do not do ham-specific modes like fusion or DSTAR (though it looks like there is software for RTL dongles that will do those). Take one of those more obscure modes, on a more obscure frequency, and you are fairly secure to reception from the average lurker/listener.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

For one thing, if you use the amateur DMR networks like Brandmiester, all of your voice traffic in decoded form would be streaming online at the Hoseline or similar for anyone to tune into.  You could go through all the work in setting up a totally private server to handle the web side of things and lock it down, but at that point you're still requiring the internet/cell phone backbone to make it all work.

If that's the case, why not just eliminate the extra hardware and just use your phones to communicate.
View Quote

The only reason to not use phones would be the ease of one to many communications. Doing a dozen or more people on a group call that you don't need live constantly... That would get old fast. I wasn't aware of the fact that your traffic is streamed online in the clear. Makes sense though. On the other hand, I'm not sure that matters. The odds of the people you are trying to NOT share with finding that in time for it to matter are slim. It would be something you want to break down and redo regularly rather than using the SAME talk group and such every day/evening. Definitely a weakness though. The private server is a good idea.

I'm not treating this as a natural disaster setup, unless we consider rioters and such to be natural. It's more a way to have a distributed mesh comm system that isn't quite so easy for people to listen in on if they don't know what you're using. We all know they're actively using the various radios and have to assume that they COULD be scanning to listen in on others' comms. Anything that makes it less easy to scan and listen in on is to the good.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#30]
If I ever needed to become difficult to monitor in a tactical situation I would pick an obscure digital format.  Motorola legacy VSELP comes to mind.  VSELP preceded P25 and was a proprietary modulation.  It never had a scanner and older astro sabers that have VSELP are cheaper due to their lack of P25.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If I ever needed to become difficult to monitor in a tactical situation I would pick an obscure digital format.  Motorola legacy VSELP comes to mind.  VSELP preceded P25 and was a proprietary modulation.  It never had a scanner and older astro sabers that have VSELP are cheaper due to their lack of P25.
View Quote

It never had a scanner but R2670's could decode it. Not all R2670's had the ASTRO trunking card (or P25 trunking card, or the SecureNet card). That being said, P25 on low band (there is one manufacturer that makes infrastructure capable of working with P25).
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 11:55:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It never had a scanner but R2670's could decode it. Not all R2670's had the ASTRO trunking card (or P25 trunking card, or the SecureNet card). That being said, P25 on low band (there is one manufacturer that makes infrastructure capable of working with P25).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's got to be only a handful of 2670s w VSELP out there by now. In liu of actual encryption im willing to bet my OPFOR isn't carrying one. It sounds a lot like P25 over the air,  I'm guessing someone would spend a while trying to figure out why they weren't getting a P25 decode before they figured out what I was doing.

You'd be more likely to meet someone with a VSELP radio and even then they'd need to be able to program it.  There's enough barriers in that process to make it extremely complex and irritating to monitor it without ever encrypting anything.

Link Posted: 9/21/2020 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

There's got to be only a handful of 2670s w VSELP out there by now. In liu of actual encryption im willing to bet my OPFOR isn't carrying one. It sounds a lot like P25 over the air,  I'm guessing someone would spend a while trying to figure out why they weren't getting a P25 decode before they figured out what I was doing.

You'd be more likely to meet someone with a VSELP radio and even then they'd need to be able to program it.  There's enough barriers in that process to make it extremely complex and irritating to monitor it without ever encrypting anything.

View Quote

Pretty much every Motorola shop with MR status had at least one on hand but I believe ASTRO was limited to the A revisions (monochrome displays and look identical to the R2600 and R2660). There was also supposedly a stripped down version of the R2670 called the R2650 but I've never seen one IRL. The R2600 series was actually the best selling service monitor to date to the point where Freedom bought all the tooling and parts inventory from Motorola so they could refurbish them (Freedom charges $3,500 for a R2670A with 1 year warranty and calibration) but for the most part they only sell them when they get some in trade for newer monitors. For example, Michigan State Police traded 6 in three years ago to upgrade to R8100's and that's the batch mine came from (and they were all sold within the week).

To someone who knows what they are looking for and has one, fairly easy to find (ASTRO is 8.7 kHz wide where P25 is 8.1 kHz wide).
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Seems an appropriate, current thread for this:

I seem to be collecting HT's at an alarming rate these days - just got in two Wouxun KG-UV8E Tribands. There is a Scramble mode, with 8 groups available (1-8). With both Radios set to a group, comms are clear, but my UV5x3 just hears something like 'Charlie Brown's Teacher' - anyone know what technology is behind it? Is it encryption? Thx.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 2:31:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Seems an appropriate, current thread for this:

I seem to be collecting HT's at an alarming rate these days - just got in two Wouxun KG-UV8E Tribands. There is a Scramble mode, with 8 groups available (1-8). With both Radios set to a group, comms are clear, but my UV5x3 just hears something like 'Charlie Brown's Teacher' - anyone know what technology is behind it? Is it encryption? Thx.
View Quote

Sounds like simple inversion scrambling - the audio frequency spectrum gets flipped then reversed at the receiver. It's not very secure, there are some people who can just copy it by ear, or it's easy to unscramble. Any digital mode would be more secure IMO.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 12:13:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Sounds like simple inversion scrambling - the audio frequency spectrum gets flipped then reversed at the receiver. It's not very secure, there are some people who can just copy it by ear, or it's easy to unscramble. Any digital mode would be more secure IMO.
View Quote

Thanks mate :thumbsup:
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
... clip...

BREAK

As for the "talk 1000 miles" problem there are two scenarios and thus two different solutions:

Scenario 1--SHTF, internet and commo only down inside the affected area. The solution for this is commercial satphone or sat communicator. Most people who have figured this out are buying either the Garmin inReach or the SPOT devices. Easy day, text with your friends, colleagues, business associates, family or whoever. They get the messages in their email inboxes or on their cellphones, you get it on your inReach or SPOT. No fuss, no muss, no training, they are basically text-only satellite cellphones. Or move up to a real handheld satphone.

Scenario 2--TEOTWAWKI, nothing left, no sat's, no GPS, just giant, mutant spiders. The solution for this is HF radio. It's complex stuff. You won't figure it out unless you become a ham and practice the art and science. In this case you can't be a Kung Fu master without going to the dojo. The problem is, of course, that there are damn few who go to that dojo and get the belt, so you won't have many people to talk to unless the people you want to talk to go to the dojo with you.

View Quote

Scenario 2 - Looks like those of us who know HF and have the equipment will have a marketable skill. Others need to know that the equipment can easily be damaged or destroyed if it is used by unskilled operators. Trade you comms for food.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
There's some truth there.

If you're going to transmit on an open freq, now would be a good time to write and print some authentication tables.  Someone hearing your transmissions is bad, but someone using them to manipulate your efforts is worse.

"Northgate this is Roving-1, there's a red pickup truck approaching your position, they live in the neighborhood, let them pass."

"Roving-1 authenticate tango victor."

"Roving-1 authenticates golf."

View Quote

Question for ham radio - would authentication be legal?
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

As long as the intent is not to obscure the meaning of the transmission
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 9:22:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Trade you comms for food.
View Quote

you are going to starve, dude. Because I've got nobody I need, or can, talk to by HF radio if it's TEOTWAWKI. And that will be the case for 99.999% of everyone that survives.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think authentication is no different than station ID, so yes it's legal.  For example, someone comes up with a call and you think it's not the true callsign owner.  You ask him what you like on your pizza and he says Oil Filters, so you say not today Mr FDA.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 6:19:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The professional here is just drinking BRC and reading...

View Quote

What is "BRC"?
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 8:55:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What is "BRC"?
View Quote
Brewing Reserve of California
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Black Rifle Coffee
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 12:53:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Completely legal. I run an APRS link from home to do minor telecommands to my APRS station at my cabin and every single message gets authenticated both ways. It's even built into the specs of several protocols.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 1:23:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Legal Ham Encryption?

First, let me start off by saying that I've never used DMR. I've been on the NXDN train, but I have heard of stories where people in Ukraine would use DMR radios with the clocks purposely set wrong on thier radios.

From what I understand, the clocks on DMR radios must be set exactly the same to get the multiplexed channels to line up properly.

Apparently if you don't know what the time they set the radios to its quite difficult to listen in on a DMR conversation.

As far as I know as long as you are using DMR on the ham band there is nothing that says you can't just have it configured in a non standard way.

Link Posted: 9/28/2020 2:08:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Legal Ham Encryption?

First, let me start off by saying that I've never used DMR. I've been on the NXDN train, but I have heard of stories where people in Ukraine would use DMR radios with the clocks purposely set wrong on thier radios.

From what I understand, the clocks on DMR radios must be set exactly the same to get the multiplexed channels to line up properly.

Apparently if you don't know what the time they set the radios to its quite difficult to listen in on a DMR conversation.

As far as I know as long as you are using DMR on the ham band there is nothing that says you can't just have it configured in a non standard way.
View Quote

Um, no.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#48]
There's no way to adjust the slot periods on DMR radios. It's a standard 27 ms per slot with 3 ms of sync between. In the case of DMR specifically, the repeater is the reference for syncing time slots.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Sold some stuff and have 5 TYT MDUV380 inbound.
Not necessarily what I 'wanted' but it will fill the gap as a crossover Ham/Itinerant HT that allows 'cryption if desired.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
There's no way to adjust the slot periods on DMR radios. It's a standard 27 ms per slot with 3 ms of sync between. In the case of DMR specifically, the repeater is the reference for syncing time slots.
View Quote

Thanks, That's a lot more helpful than "um no"

By the way I was not talking about adjusting the period, but basically when the period started (I guess that would be the phase). Not sure if that's adjustable?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top