Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2022 8:09:44 PM EDT
I’ve heard from many people and sites that scouting for coyotes is crucial to success. But being a beginner I really don’t know how to do this. I’ve drove around to spots I’ve heard coyotes before and played a locater call on my e-caller but I’ve never gotten a response.

Is there a certain time of day that works best for scouting? Should I try and get out of my car and walk into the land a bit to call? Any tips would be helpful.

For reference I live in fairly flat agricultural land.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 8:13:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slankford] [#1]
Tagging for later
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 8:19:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Invest in thermal, that call may be working
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By tanner_sinn04:
I’ve heard from many people and sites that scouting for coyotes is crucial to success. But being a beginner I really don’t know how to do this. I’ve drove around to spots I’ve heard coyotes before and played a locater call on my e-caller but I’ve never gotten a response.

Is there a certain time of day that works best for scouting? Should I try and get out of my car and walk into the land a bit to call? Any tips would be helpful.

For reference I live in fairly flat agricultural land.
View Quote

You ever get snow? Tracks are easy to see. In the winter you can see where the have trails through fences and ditches but this is the high desert.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve only seen 1 coyote when deer hunting.  I’ve got several on one of my game cameras.  All at night.  Deer season is over here in Georgia and I’m sure it’s quite different here than there.    I’m going to my property this weekend and putting out a piece of chicken and sit in my platform stand and see what happens.  Might take a nap.  I don’t know anything about scouting them.  Looking to responses to your thread to learn more.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By raverill:
Invest in thermal, that call may be working
View Quote

I’m looking at this.  Shooting coyotes would be a side benefit.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 1245xx:
I’ve only seen 1 coyote when deer hunting.  I’ve got several on one of my game cameras.  All at night.  Deer season is over here in Georgia and I’m sure it’s quite different here than there.    I’m going to my property this weekend and putting out a piece of chicken and sit in my platform stand and see what happens.  Might take a nap.  I don’t know anything about scouting them.  Looking to responses to your thread to learn more.
View Quote

Maybe do a bit of research on predator hunting. A piece of KFC sitting on a log wouldn’t work around here. It could be a long time before something happens across that chicken.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Coyotes are just about everywhere.  Some may have been called more than others and know something is up when they hear the same thing as last time.  Find a spot and get comfortable.  Call for 15-20 seconds and wait 4-5 minutes.  Do this for 20-30 minutes (heck I've sat longer and had them show up).
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By harrymank:

You ever get snow? Tracks are easy to see. In the winter you can see where the have trails through fences and ditches but this is the high desert.
View Quote

We do normally but it’s been a pretty dry winter. Thus I’ve been trying the calling method.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

We do normally but it’s been a pretty dry winter. Thus I’ve been trying the calling method.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Are you sitting in your car on the road doing this?
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 8:39:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Cover Scent like used for bow hunting.
Camo
You may get a wider range of tone with a mouth call.
Hunting Techniques Link
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 8:39:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: harrymank] [#12]
I walk in quite a ways when calling. Stay quite, try to stay concealed (don’t walk over the top of a giant hill while stomping on every weed) pick a good spot for a field of view. The wind direction is crucial because they will get down wind and smell you.

Edit: I’ve got one spot I’ve shot 7 coyotes from but I’ve had several people bitch about the almost half mile walk. It’s flat and there aren’t trees though so I can see way further than I can hit a coyote.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Maybe do a bit of research on predator hunting. A piece of KFC sitting on a log wouldn’t work around here. It could be a long time before something happens across that chicken.
View Quote

I’ll do that.  I’ve watched some of those YouTube videos of coyote hunting out west.  Those coyotes come running and you can see them a long way off.  Wiley creatures, to say the least.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 10:16:00 PM EDT
[#14]
No need to scout for them where I'm at.  Just go find em, bring a gun.  365 day season here anyway.  Sure, go scout for them...but bring a gun, call, and wear camo.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#15]
so I do a little bit of coyote trapping and calling and what I would call "scouting", is not looking for the coyote itself, just the signs they are in the area. I look for their tracks in the dirt along dirt roads or animal paths, coyote poop, their hair in a fence where they went under. If you see those kinds of things, they are there.

My game cameras tell me they are active at night about 99% of the time in my area, so that is when I call/hunt them.

Link Posted: 2/3/2022 9:00:25 AM EDT
[#16]
PM sent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top