Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2020 12:12:18 AM EDT
Ordered a Vulcan Omnipro 220 today. My old AC "buzz box" died 2 years ago after 45 years of faithful service. Since I'm retired, I can't sneak stuff into the maintenence shop to weld. Most reviews on this were positive and I really can't afford to buy a Miller or a Lincoln.

It will be a couple of weeks to get here.

RS
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I didn’t know you could kill those welders! Lincoln “tombstone” type I assume?

Be interested to hear your thoughts on the new welder. I’ve read the digital control panels on many different brand welders have given some people fits but no personal experience here.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting, there's not anything on the ac machines to really go bad. DC machines the rectifiers and caps can die but unless the transformer shorted the ac machines are just copper windings. You poke around with a meter inside it any?
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 8:37:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 3:48:17 AM EDT
[#4]
The machine was a private label Miller if i remember correctly.  Maybe a National Farm and Shop brand?

The current was adjusted by rotating a handle that moved a laminated coil form in and out of the transformer. I set it low to weld a riding lawnmower deck with 1/16 rods. When I adjusted the current back up, the coil form stuck in the transformer and the mechanism broke apart. With the cover off and the cooling fan removed, I can adjust it with a pry bar or a hammer (with the pigtail unplugged). This was too much trouble so it was time to get something new.

RS
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Ah I see! I thought Lincoln, I used a few of those Miller machines, hated that crank adjust setup.

Congrats on the new gear!
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:53:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like early February now. No wonder they make you pay for it in advance.

RS
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like early February now. No wonder they make you pay for it in advance.

RS
View Quote

Tried to get a new set of Carhartt’s yesterday from my local guy and he said his orders are taking 60 days! For pants! How spoiled I felt, used to be I could walk in there on Monday and if he didn’t have it, he’d get it in by Friday.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:31:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Well it's finally here. Didn't have the correct receptacle for the 220 pigtail so tried stick welding on 120 volts.  Pretty smooth.  I ordered some Dinse 30-70 ends for my long cables. I'll get around to trying the MIG later on.

RS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top