Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2017 11:58:17 PM EDT
Have been a spinning reel user and want to get a better feeling for fishing. Fly seems to be the way to go.

TFO mangrove TF 09 90 4 M
3 Tand T70 2 spools

I know 0 about this and have done some reading and talked with a neighbor who is into fly fishing.
Is this setup a little aggressive for beginner? Kind of want to buy it once cry once although I'm sure I'll wind up with as many fly reel/rods as I do traditional ha!

Mostly to be used in saltwater (striper bluefish) and when opportunity presents itself freshwater.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#1]
That rod and reel combo would be a good all 'rounder salt water set up. It would be good for stripers, bluefish, false albacore and bonito in your area. Good for big bonefish, small tarpon and permit in the keys. An 8wt would be better for bones, a 10 for permit and small tarpon, but a 9 will be ok for all of them.

A 9wt is ok for large and small mouth bass, though an 8wt is probably the better tool.

A 9wt is way to much for trout or panfish like blue gills.

T70 and T90 spools are interchangeable but the at90 spool hold more backing because of a smaller arbor. I would suggest getting one T90 spool to use with a floating or intermediate line, and the T70 for a sinking head. But two T70 spools will do ok
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 6:48:23 AM EDT
[#2]
You're setup is fine. My one point of advice is to practice your double haul, if you haven't been already. You're going to need it to cast big flies into the wind.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a Mangrove for flats fishing (redfish, seatrout, flounder). I have the 8-wt variety. It works great out of the kayak. I like TFO. I also have a BVK.

My favorite reel is a Hatch 7 but the spare rods use a Sage.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:17:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That rod and reel combo would be a good all 'rounder salt water set up. It would be good for stripers, bluefish, false albacore and bonito in your area. Good for big bonefish, small tarpon and permit in the keys. An 8wt would be better for bones, a 10 for permit and small tarpon, but a 9 will be ok for all of them.

A 9wt is ok for large and small mouth bass, though an 8wt is probably the better tool.

A 9wt is way to much for trout or panfish like blue gills.

T70 and T90 spools are interchangeable but the at90 spool hold more backing because of a smaller arbor. I would suggest getting one T90 spool to use with a floating or intermediate line, and the T70 for a sinking head. But two T70 spools will do ok
View Quote
Great! Salt water all around was mostly my goal. I'm going to wind up with a freshwater setup also for sure now. 100% on the T90, someone else mentioned the same so I'll go for it. Thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:19:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You're setup is fine. My one point of advice is to practice your double haul, if you haven't been already. You're going to need it to cast big flies into the wind.
View Quote
I was watching my neighbor doing it yesterday while I still haven't squeezed trigger on the above equipment yet. Seems kinda tough to get the hang of but I'm sure I will figure it out.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I use a Mangrove for flats fishing (redfish, seatrout, flounder). I have the 8-wt variety. It works great out of the kayak. I like TFO. I also have a BVK.

My favorite reel is a Hatch 7 but the spare rods use a Sage.
View Quote
Kayak will most likely be my mode of transport this year. Flats up this way are few and far between up here. Got a decent spot by me so I'll cut my teeth here until I go out in public
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:30:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a Mangrove in an 8wt and found it just didn't have the "oomph" I like (e.g. Xi3). My wife has one and loves it. Along the Texas coast, an 8 wt is almost standard issue for reds, specks & flounder. Outside the jetties, a 10 isn't a bad idea and a 12 can be of use. I have a T-90 on my 10 wt and it's been a good reel.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:30:40 AM EDT
[#8]
After fishing the salt rinse your gear well in fresh water.   When changing flies store your wet flies apart from the dry ones.   Otherwise all will start to rust and discolor.  Rinse your flies as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top