Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2020 10:50:31 PM EDT
I'm pretty new to this stuff, and just got my tech call sign last Friday.  I put up an Diamond X200a antenna today, and began wondering if I need to get a swr meter for the 2m and 70cm bands.  I almost picked one up off craigslist that had 3 indicators (SWR, power and modulation)....but decided to wait and then found out it was only for HF.  What do you guys recommend?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 11:27:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on the new License !

I use this one, its cheap and it works, nothing fancy:

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/mfj-873

I like analog meters, nostalgia and all that.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 12:24:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 12:48:43 AM EDT
[#3]
SWR meter, how quaint. Buy an antenna analyzer before you buy an SWR meter.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 1:34:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Or a bird and appropriate slugs for hte application.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
..had 3 indicators (SWR, power and modulation)....
View Quote
Sounds like CB equipment.

I second buying a VNA before getting a VHF/UHF swr meter, far more useful. If you're only using FM I'd probably never buy one. My HF one broke a while ago and I haven't really missed it, the swr meter on the radio works well enough. If you are using an hf amp then you really should have a power meter, or driving a brick with a transverter or something where output power levels actually matter.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#6]
They are handy to have. I doubt the antenna you have is off from the factory...

Should you get one? Sure. Look at the Diamond brand meters. Good for the money. The Bird mentioned is a pro level meter but can be had for a fair price. I personally have had a Diamond but now have a Telewave 44A. Did the Diamond work? Sure it did. Is the Telewave more accurate? Absolutely. But ~$120 meter bs a $1100 meter... Those are probably overkill for your needs but amazing meters. A Bird is on my want list as well... More can be said about the high end meters but unless you want to sink the cash into them that's a different conversation.

Antenna analyzers or VNAs are great and very handy especially if you plan on getting into building antennas.  

I personally think that if you're just wanting to know your antenna/system is working right that a simple SWR meter is good to go or even tuning basic antennas.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Nano VNA? Seems like a lot of capability for $50.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 11:16:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats on the new License !

I use this one, its cheap and it works, nothing fancy:

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/mfj-873

https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/prod/mediumlarge/mfj-873_at_ml.jpg
I like analog meters, nostalgia and all that.
View Quote

This is a good meter. Unless you're going to be doing a lot of designing and buliding of antennas, it'll be perfectly adequate.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys, I'll just hold off for now.  I'd like to get into antenna building but I'm not there yet.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:56:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I like the Daiwa 801 series personally. Large and easy to read, but accurate and takes some abuse.

(zoomed in from earlier photos)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top