Site Notices
SURVIVAL PDFS? (Page 6 of 6)
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

Guessing you mean the NDSU site. There's a link here somewhere already. KSU and LASU are two others that have building plans from what I recall in my collection. And then of course there's the wide variety of civil defense plans that are sprinkled around a number of sites that have been linked too already
Many of the more rural state universities seem to offer up various building plans
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By R2point0:
Tag for when I get back to my desktop and find the AG extension site with free building plans.  Mostly AG oriented, but some other good stuff too.

Guessing you mean the NDSU site. There's a link here somewhere already. KSU and LASU are two others that have building plans from what I recall in my collection. And then of course there's the wide variety of civil defense plans that are sprinkled around a number of sites that have been linked too already
Many of the more rural state universities seem to offer up various building plans
Damn - should have known I was beat to the NDSU stuff.  *But*, there's also the Midwest Plan Service (MWPS), and their Free Plans - again, mostly construction, but good is good and free is free.

I know the last time I got the flash drive I tried to contribute what I had gathered, but I'm not sure if I have much that's new.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#3]
This thread is an invaluable source of knowledge. Kudos to all who pass this info along.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 6:16:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 11:13:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Tons of good info
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I posted this as a GD thread, and was asked to repost here.

Survival Lessons from the Balkan Wars - SHTF Anthology

149 page pdf ... free to read or download for later, written by Selco Begovic.

Good stuff considering what's happening around the world, and here in America.

Enjoy.

Link to pdf

Another book of interest is a failure of civility.  Basically how to organize a neighborhood for SHTF.  

It is kinda over the top depending on your neighbors, and some stuff just won't work, but there are some good strategies people may not have considered.  Community plans, defense, etc.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:09:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Taktiq] [#10]
I'm not sure if it's been suggested or not, but I've learned quite a few things from Youtube videos, from basic plumbing issues to working on my truck. How about in addition to PDFs why not start collecting videos of this type of stuff and downloading (there are plenty of YT downloader sites that can easily be found by a simple search)?

Seems logical.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:40:37 AM EDT
[#11]
A fair number of Mil manuals, free to download:  Military Manuals

Likely mentioned before, but always nice to have alternate sources.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:10:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 7:32:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Taktiq:
I'm not sure if it's been suggested or not, but I've learned quite a few things from Youtube videos, from basic plumbing issues to working on my truck. How about in addition to PDFs why not start collecting videos of this type of stuff and downloading (there are plenty of YT downloader sites that can easily be found by a simple search)?

Seems logical.
View Quote

Problem I've found with saving any sort of videos in quantity is that they're memory hogs compared to PDFs and Word documents. Not a big deal if you're storing your collected information on an external drive. The pocket thumb drive I EDC can't handle too many videos.
You're correct in saying that the video format is a good educational tool, though, as long as there were good production values. I've seen some really bad videos as well
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Problem I've found with saving any sort of videos in quantity is that they're memory hogs compared to PDFs and Word documents. Not a big deal if you're storing your collected information on an external drive. The pocket thumb drive I EDC can't handle too many videos.
You're correct in saying that the video format is a good educational tool, though, as long as there were good production values. I've seen some really bad videos as well
View Quote

I definitely don't disagree with your points. I just know some book instructions can be confusing without seeing it step by step, and some people are strictly visual learners. Production values aside, I think its another good tool to think about.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

Seems logical.

Storage is cheap.  If you want portable, go with a Samsung T7 SSD it's about the size of a pack of cigarettes - 1 terabyte is $120.  They are some pretty heavy-duty drives, but there are even more ruggedized drives out there, as well.  If you don't mind a stationary drive, you can get 8 terabytes for $160.

You can also access videos/data from the T7 through your phone/ipad also.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Audio books stuph here:  https://audiobooks.naturalnews.com/
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Cacinok:

Storage is cheap.  If you want portable, go with a Samsung T7 SSD it's about the size of a pack of cigarettes - 1 terabyte is $120.  They are some pretty heavy-duty drives, but there are even more ruggedized drives out there, as well.  If you don't mind a stationary drive, you can get 8 terabytes for $160.

View Quote

Neither option you suggested is particularly viable for EDC. Yeah, if you want to go the route of an external drive there are lots of options
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Neither option you suggested is particularly viable for EDC. Yeah, if you want to go the route of an external drive there are lots of options
View Quote

EDC? Every day carry? You carry flash drives of survival books and whatnot around with you all the time?
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 12:11:20 AM EDT
[#19]

EDC? Every day carry? You carry flash drives of survival books and whatnot around with you all the time?
View Quote

Yes. Along with scanned copies of personal documents, work related stuff, etc
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#21]
http://www.2ndbn5thmar.com/
Some reading regarding fieldcraft, camouflage, EMCON among other topics.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 6:58:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By fighter443:
View Quote

Thanks for the bump
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By viralinsurgency:
I posted this as a GD thread, and was asked to repost here.

Survival Lessons from the Balkan Wars - SHTF Anthology

149 page pdf ... free to read or download for later, written by Selco Begovic.

Good stuff considering what's happening around the world, and here in America.

Enjoy.

Link to pdf

Another book of interest is a failure of civility.  Basically how to organize a neighborhood for SHTF.  

It is kinda over the top depending on your neighbors, and some stuff just won't work, but there are some good strategies people may not have considered.  Community plans, defense, etc.
View Quote

Looks like it might be a book now.  I have not read it but it's in my cart for my next Amazon purchase. It was recommended on a youtube video I watched recently.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1792159226
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 4:33:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cacinok] [#26]

View All Quotes

Sheesh, some people are never satisfied.  As I said, the T7 is about the size of a pack of cigarettes.  My Dad smoked forever and he always had a pack of smokes w/ him.  The T7 is 2 3/8" x 3 1/2" x 1/2", so it's actually smaller than a pack of cigarettes.  If you don't like that option,  then get a Samsung micro flash drive such as this one.  I have one and it's 1" x .5" x .25" and it even has a built in slot so you can hook it to your key chain.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 11:56:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: urbanredneck] [#27]

Sheesh, some people are never satisfied.  As I said, the T7 is about the size of a pack of cigarettes.  My Dad smoked forever and he always had a pack of smokes w/ him.  The T7 is 2 3/8" x 3 1/2" x 1/2", so it's actually smaller than a pack of cigarettes.  If you don't like that option,  then get a Samsung micro flash drive such as this one.  I have one and it's 1" x .5" x .25" and it even has a built in slot so you can hook it to your key chain.
View Quote

Currently putting together a thumb drive material to keep handy. Going to keep copis on micro sd cards in my phone and tablet. A base of knowledge as an insurance policy. Hardest part is figuring out best ways to download relevant material. There is so much out there.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By urbanredneck:

Currently putting together a thumb drive material to keep handy. Going to keep copis on micro sd cards in my phone and tablet. A base of knowledge as an insurance policy. Hardest part is figuring out best ways to download relevant material. There is so much out there.
View Quote

I didn't see your post until now. If you're still working on your collection, I'm still willing to share my collection. I would require that you send me an external drive that I can copy my collection to, as too many people were deciding to not return my external drives that I would send them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 8:56:23 PM EDT
[#29]

I didn't see your post until now. If you're still working on your collection, I'm still willing to share my collection. I would require that you send me an external drive that I can copy my collection to, as too many people were deciding to not return my external drives that I would send them.
View Quote

You didn't make a general offer so just wondering here - how big is your collection of docs?
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By cmw:

You didn't make a general offer so just wondering here - how big is your collection of docs?
View All Quotes

When I got it a few years back it was just over 600GB.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 9:07:53 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

There was a general invitation that was posted in an earlier survival PDF thread that went to archive a long time ago. I haven't worked on the PDF collection project in a couple of years at least, but  last I recall it was around a TB of data. I'd have to dig out my external drive and check to confirm. It was broken down into multiple subfolders so if you had an interest in only one category it would be a simple matter of copying only that folder. The whole collection outgrew the thumb drives I was originally using
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 7:43:35 AM EDT
[#32]
It's a pretty great collection.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 11:07:41 PM EDT
[#33]

There was a general invitation that was posted in an earlier survival PDF thread that went to archive a long time ago. I haven't worked on the PDF collection project in a couple of years at least, but  last I recall it was around a TB of data. I'd have to dig out my external drive and check to confirm. It was broken down into multiple subfolders so if you had an interest in only one category it would be a simple matter of copying only that folder. The whole collection outgrew the thumb drives I was originally using
View All Quotes

Impressive.  If you ever decide to share it again please let me know.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 3:41:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By garbageman:

View Quote

I'm always willing to make a copy for people. It's always been something I worked on mainly in the winter months when I had more time. Like I said earlier I would ask that people send me their own external drive as I stated not having my own returned to me the last time the collection was going around
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 12:32:19 AM EDT
[#35]

I'm always willing to make a copy for people. It's always been something I worked on mainly in the winter months when I had more time. Like I said earlier I would ask that people send me their own external drive as I stated not having my own returned to me the last time the collection was going around
View Quote

Pls pm your info and gladly send you a usb stick
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 1:54:05 AM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By garbageman:

IM sent
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#38]
bump
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#39]
BUMP
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
SURVIVAL PDFS? (Page 6 of 6)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top